Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Wildtortilla posted:

I get the USB connected sound effect when I plug in the adapter, but I can't find anything that might be a game controller in Device Manager.
Well, in my case, for example, it looks like this:

Excuse the German. You see that long numeric code in the detail windows? That's how you can confirm that a given entry is actually the controller you are looking for. If it doesn't even appear under that "Devices and Printers" menu in your system settings, then it might be fried and your OS doesn't even recognize it anymore.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

Have you checked to see if there's a firmware update? 8bitdo is pretty good about support.

This fixed it!

I thought I updated the firmware after my first post, but I think I downloaded firmware for one of their controllers... I downloaded a file from their site after a Google search. I went back to their site, poked around, and realized I got the wrong file. After actually installing what I thought I previously installed, I'm back in business! Thanks!

Now back to Witcher 3.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Mierenneuker posted:

I got curious as well and it turns out Humble Indie Bundle 18 had KRZ. That was May 2017. Huh, I thought I got it during a Steam sale.

The only time it was up for consideration for a flash sale it got beat hilariously by FTL, a game that went on sale/gave away for free constantly.

KRZ was never seen again.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Reminder that KRZ was an early freebie from Twitch Prime.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

This fixed it!

I thought I updated the firmware after my first post, but I think I downloaded firmware for one of their controllers... I downloaded a file from their site after a Google search. I went back to their site, poked around, and realized I got the wrong file. After actually installing what I thought I previously installed, I'm back in business! Thanks!

Now back to Witcher 3.

cani play Witchehhhh 3 with the Switch Pro controller on my PC? :eyepop:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Johnny Truant posted:

Witcher 3 is even available for the Switch.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Steam natively supports the Switch Pro controller so if your PC has bluetooth you can just connect it directly, no adapter or special software required. I think USB also works.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Yes absolutely. Although I prefer the Wii U Pro. My PC doesn't have any wireless connection on its own and I don't like to be tethered by a wire, so I use the 8bitdo adapter.

I avoid wired connections because I ruined the USB port on a dual shock 4 after about 200 hours of wired use with my PC.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Witcher 3 is even available for the Switch.

Haha yeah, they just had a great sale on it and its DLC on Steam, so I am now its proud owner :toot:

repiv posted:

Steam natively supports the Switch Pro controller so if your PC has bluetooth you can just connect it directly, no adapter or special software required. I think USB also works.

Wildtortilla posted:

Yes absolutely. Although I prefer the Wii U Pro. My PC doesn't have any wireless connection on its own and I don't like to be tethered by a wire, so I use the 8bitdo adapter.

I avoid wired connections because I ruined the USB port on a dual shock 4 after about 200 hours of wired use with my PC.

Most excellent!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Haha yeah, they just had a great sale on it and its DLC on Steam, so I am now its proud owner :toot:

Most excellent!

https://www.8bitdo.com/wireless-usb-adapter/

That's the adapter I use. It's great for connecting my Nintendo controllers to my PC and other controllers (mainly Wii U Pros) to my Switch.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How is FFXV with M+KB? I'm kinda pissed off about putting the map key on the right analog click because what the hell, and none of the other gamepad configs are doing it for me. I can change it in the steam settings, but that'll just gently caress with prompts and whatnot.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Finished Starcom Nexus after around 20 hours. Reasonably good time with it. Could have used some more variety for communications and combat, but there's something zen about the core of zipping around the galaxy looking for the next scan.
Endgame is kinda weak, though. Without major spoilers, it involves farming some specific enemy rng drops then trying to find the right people to talk with, and not a lot of guidance towards that goal.

Still, felt like I got the value of it, and I'd probably enjoy a follow-up from the devs.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fix'd

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

Speaking of achievements, I'm a huge dork and have waited 5 years to get the "Go Outside" achievement in The Stanley Parable.
I finally got it today :)

I know I could just have changed the system clock

Bless.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Huh, 8.4% is higher than expected to be honest.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Oh hey, speaking of free games with Twitch Prime, January has Dandara, Anarcute, Kingdom: New Lands, A Normal Lost Phone and Splasher. Seems pretty middling?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Occultatio posted:

Oh hey, speaking of free games with Twitch Prime, January has Dandara, Anarcute, Kingdom: New Lands, A Normal Lost Phone and Splasher. Seems pretty middling?

Kingdom:New Lands is pretty dogshit.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I played the original Kingdom, lasted about an hour before I gave up on it. I didn't care for how little control you have over things. Your AI minions are stupid and will eventually be your downfall because they can't follow orders or make correct decisions.

New Lands appears to be that same game with some additional visual flourish and maybe more features, I dunno. There's also Kingdom: Two Crowns which came out in 2018 - which also appears to be, again, largely the same game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

explosivo posted:

Any thoughts on Transport Fever 2? I absolutely loved Open TTD back in the day and this looks to be kind of in the same vein. A lot of the reviews say not a lot changed from this game and the original but I never played the original so I'm thinking about checking this out.

Burning Rain posted:

To bandwagon on this, what is the best of the current crop of railroad/transport tycoon games? I'm much more interested in the (preferably competitive) economic aspect of these games rather than fussing over rail signals and stuff.
State of Trains 2020
Transport Fever is an all around train set. The trains and terrain are pretty good looking especially in TF2, the network design is suitable for what it asks you to do and you're all around encouraged to make a neat train set in your map (at least if you ignore the campaign after the first couple missions). Its not amazing at any specific aspect though.

Mashinky is the most dedicated to pulling OpenTTD features into a modern engine. But it has a weird economy which people either love or hate. Its token based so completing deliveries lets you build toward tech and more infrastructure and trains and train juice. I like the economy and the ability to switch from isometric to 3d train riding is nice too.

Workers and Resources is completely amazing but unlike any other train game to really compare. The economy is really Tropico on steroids but you're really dependent on the lifeblood that is your transit infrastructure which includes needing to use trains smartly with your trucks and oh my god its so good. Building your first tenement with local workers and resources is along the lines of setting up basic lines in another train game while also marshalling resources for a monument in an Impressions city builder and it scales up from there to massive civics works and factory complexes. :kiss: but maybe not what a trains focused player is looking for.

Pure train economics has not really moved past Railroad Tycoon 2 being the best if you can get it to run to your satisfaction. There is Railway Empire which lifts the basic idea of running a train business and puts it in a 3D map encouraging smart routing but it lacks a certain something to call it better besides being able to ride the trains which I find mandatory these days.

exquisite tea posted:

I did pretty much the same thing and my patience has been rewarded. I remember when Ep. 5 was initially supposed to come out in early 2018.
I thought they just said they were getting ready to release Ep5 at that point, not that it was going to come out then. In which case they are kind of early by any measure based on past performance.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ErrEff posted:

I played the original Kingdom, lasted about an hour before I gave up on it. I didn't care for how little control you have over things. Your AI minions are stupid and will eventually be your downfall because they can't follow orders or make correct decisions.

New Lands appears to be that same game with some additional visual flourish and maybe more features, I dunno. There's also Kingdom: Two Crowns which came out in 2018 - which also appears to be, again, largely the same game.
They're basically all the same game with some differences in level layouts. The lack of control isn't as painful as it sounds once you figure out how to maximize your gains, which mostly involves carefully not expanding past certain points.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint has a truly mystifying bug where the buttons on the right hand side of a Bluetooth connected controller will sometimes stop registering at all until you press a face button on the left hand side of the controller, and sometimes the buttons on the right will suddenly begin acting as buttons on the left. I've never seen such a thing, it is a wonder

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zedprime posted:

State of Trains 2020

Thanks for this! I forgot about Mashinky and this looks like it might scratch that itch pretty well but I'm not sure if I want to jump in just yet while it's still EA. Does Transport Fever 1/2 do the upgrading cities thing that Transport Tycoon did, where delivering stuff builds up and improves the towns you're delivering to?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

So I figured I'd check out the new releases queue for kicks n' giggles and it found something similar to Atelier Sophie and I was intrigued -

woah. Did not know that doing alchemy would let you meet super-ripped men

Basically anything in anime lets you meet super-ripped men or large breasted women.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

explosivo posted:

Thanks for this! I forgot about Mashinky and this looks like it might scratch that itch pretty well but I'm not sure if I want to jump in just yet while it's still EA. Does Transport Fever 1/2 do the upgrading cities thing that Transport Tycoon did, where delivering stuff builds up and improves the towns you're delivering to?
That's the entire point of the TF economy. You can't service a route without a consumer of the final good which is cities in sandbox.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Anime alchemy is well-known to involve lots of swole menfolk.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Wamdoodle posted:

The music and aesthetic really have to gel with you. It's simple game. Auto scrolling runner with some timed button pressing. The little story included is pretty positive and uplifting. Someone said it did nothing for them but they skipped all the story bits and that's like cutting a huge part of the experience out.

The game is already like 2 hours long..people are wild.

I dug it a lot, it's a shame it's an apple thing on the mobile side cuz I'd love a phone port.

I'm also poo poo at it, can't get higher than a silver rank

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Karma Tornado posted:

Ghost Recon Breakpoint has a truly mystifying bug where the buttons on the right hand side of a Bluetooth connected controller will sometimes stop registering at all until you press a face button on the left hand side of the controller, and sometimes the buttons on the right will suddenly begin acting as buttons on the left. I've never seen such a thing, it is a wonder

Are you by any chance keeping steam open while playing it? That's hosed with me before when playing games from other launchers.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Karma Tornado posted:

I didn't play Breakpoint until months after release and I still think I had more graphical glitches and hard crashes in it than every game I've played over the past ten years combined.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Black Griffon posted:

Are you by any chance keeping steam open while playing it? That's hosed with me before when playing games from other launchers.

I got it from Epic, so I'm launching it via GOG Galaxy, which launches it via Uplay, so it's just a nesting doll of possible conflictions. Googling it makes it sound like there's a fair amount of bizarre controller issues besides this one, though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Most of Blasphemous' OST is just there but I really like the somber tone of this piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5VHf3SfuQc

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zereth posted:

I wonder if those, like, purple cubes you can make roll along paths and poo poo ever did anything. There were a few things in the game which seemed not quite finished like that.

I looked it up at the time though and saw things like "I examined memory and the game doesn't actually keep track of if you did that once you leave the area"

I really liked Antichamber up until all the annoying cube puzzles. When it was just spatial dicking around and cubes just to make platforms it was great

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

zedprime posted:

That's the entire point of the TF economy. You can't service a route without a consumer of the final good which is cities in sandbox.

In TF2 you can actually service industries now without shipping further products. You won't upgrade industries without doing that though. Its a great train/transport sandbox.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exquisite tea posted:

Now would be a good time to replay KRZ since I've forgotten most of it.

same, i'm gonna get so goddam high first

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Black Griffon posted:

Huh, 8.4% is higher than expected to be honest.

This came up couple of weeks ago in another thread. More than 98% of those people got it before game had been out for 5 years.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Does anyone remember what those free releases for KRZ were and when during the game you should play them? I remember The Entertainment but that’s it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Kennel posted:

This came up couple of weeks ago in another thread. More than 98% of those people got it before game had been out for 5 years.
Yeah, Steam Achievement Manager exists. I doubt most people use it, but I bet a lot of people will bust it out for meme cheevos like that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kibayasu posted:

Does anyone remember what those free releases for KRZ were and when during the game you should play them? I remember The Entertainment but that’s it.

i think... whenever? tbh i found the hyper-art hipsterism of krz borderline tedious but it has those, stunning, amazing moments that everything else is in service of so i'm looking forward taking another run at it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zedprime posted:

Rapacity posted:

In TF2 you can actually service industries now without shipping further products. You won't upgrade industries without doing that though. Its a great train/transport sandbox.

Cool thanks, I think I'ma pick this up then.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you do origin access, they added sparklite, wreckfest and little misfortune

other games they've added recently if you have origin access and forgot they also include indie games:
bloodstained
superhot
for the king
tacoma
sinner: sacrifice for redemption
dead cells
nex machina
shantae 1/2 genie hero
slay the spire
yoku's island express
ghost of a tale
pyre
a plague tale: innocence
breathedge
darksiders 3
tyranny
the invisible hours
cosmic star heroine

it's basically the gamepass that no one notices or thinks about

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kibayasu posted:

Limits and Demonstrations acts as the prologue to the game and should be played first, The Entertainment is meant to played after Episode 2, Here and There Along the Echo after Episode 3, and Un Pueblo De Nada after 4.

I remember they're planning to patch them all into the main game when the full release happens.