Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

i honestly don't know if it's possible to make a film that the hardcore star wars fans wouldn't like

i guess if it had zero tiny aliens to make into funko pops

I think it's the other way around, and all but impossible to make a movie the hardcore fans will like because nothing will ever live up to the Star Wars they have in their heads from a mix of childhood nostalgia and the best parts of a shitload of books and games for their whole lives. I guess Marvel found a way to satisfy their fans though, so maybe the people making the Disney movies just did a bad job. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sinteres posted:

I think it's the other way around, and all but impossible to make a movie the hardcore fans will like because nothing will ever live up to the Star Wars they have in their heads from a mix of childhood nostalgia and the best parts of a shitload of books and games for their whole lives. I guess Marvel found a way to satisfy their fans though, so maybe the people making the Disney movies just did a bad job. :shrug:

Marvel did it by creating a new group of "hardcore fans" unrelated to the people who originally loved their comic books. There is some overlap but the people who were avid readers are functionally unrelated to the followings gathered during the long procession of identikit on-point-quip-fests. It's easy to satisfy people who were attracted to your specific formula in the first place. Appealing to nostalgia for an older, distinct product and that fan base is several steps more challenging.

But you're right that Disney have done a bad job as they attempted to recreate this with their own branding of the sequels ('The Force is female' t-shirts etc.) and subsequently disappointed that new consumer base by killing off the brooding bad boy character.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Episode 9 is a nearly 3 hour long video essay about why Scorsese is right about cinema.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Sinteres posted:

sassassin posted:

Marvel did it by creating a new group of "hardcore fans" unrelated to the people who originally loved their comic books. There is some overlap but the people who were avid readers are functionally unrelated to the followings gathered during the long procession of identikit on-point-quip-fests. It's easy to satisfy people who were attracted to your specific formula in the first place. Appealing to nostalgia for an older, distinct product and that fan base is several steps more challenging.

But you're right that Disney have done a bad job as they attempted to recreate this with their own branding of the sequels ('The Force is female' t-shirts etc.) and subsequently disappointed that new consumer base by killing off the brooding bad boy character.

i think it's a bit of both. i think disney underestimated how much star wars meant to people. it probably would've been impossible to make a film to appease the hardcore wars fans, but disney also pretty much made a story that wouldn't make them happy. marvel fans got heaps of loud cgi explosion-fests where iron man says funny things. meanwhile, luke skywalker drinks milk from a titty and princess leia fails to rally anyone and spends her last film as a cgi zombie. disney either made heaps of errors along the way or they wanted to demolish lucas' star wars so they could have their own take on it.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

As far as appeasing hardcore fans, the MCU is basically a fresh continuity with familiar characters, and comic book nerds are already used to reboots, so I imagine that helped a lot.

Star Wars is shackled by movies from 40 years ago. They even describe each of the movies as being centered around each of the original main cast members in turn. Having a "han" movie, a "luke" movie, and a "leia" movie was a fundamentally flawed plan. Like the big things we're meant to be excited about are all relics from the past. And even the interstitial movies were OT throw-backs. It felt like they had no faith in their new characters.

I would have personally been much more excited about Poe Dameron and Finn movies than Solo and Rogue One.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Currently, the closest thing we have to an “ST” is Solo, 7, and 9 - a ‘Millenium Falcon’ trilogy, focussed on the ownership of the Falcon (and, to a lesser extent, the Solo family).

its true.. all of it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's a bit much. Maybe lose the hoodie, the fingerless gloves, a couple of the belts and definitely the man bun.

So just... a guy in a shirt, then? And a man bun is perfectly Star Wars in a samurai wannabe way.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

feedmyleg posted:

So just... a guy in a shirt, then? And a man bun is perfectly Star Wars in a samurai wannabe way.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

wide kylo is the only good thing to come out of the st change my mind

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I’m honestly surprised that fans aren’t absolutely furious about this. Undead Palpatine gets all the attention, because everyone loves the prequels, but the actual massive twist in ROS is that literally every conflict in Star Wars was the work of the Exogolians from planet Exogol.

[...]

Exogolians are the ‘midichlorian’ twist times a billion, in terms of their devastating impact on the Star Wars narrative(s). But where the midichlorian twist was specifically laser-targeted at New Age horseshit interpretations of The Force, the Exogolian twist is just aimlessly moronic.

But it’s in the film. You can’t avoid it. Sorry.

A while back in this (or one of the other myriad Star Wars threads) someone mentioned the Lensman series irt OT Star Wars.

Exogol is extremely Lensman.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

dex_sda posted:

wide kylo is the only good thing to come out of the st change my mind

Luke drinking straight from the tit

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Luke drinking straight from the tit

A man of culture.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sure you can, when directors can’t be bothered to respect other directors and toss out and modify plot points on a whim like it’s a drunken game of mad libs it seems perfectly appropriate to do the same.

Don’t like something in the new Star War? Just handwave it or rewrite it, chances are someone’s going to do the same loving thing 2 years later!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just saw ROW (edit: I mean ROS) this morning. I went in 100% blind, no trailers or reviews beforehand and I'm super surprised about the negative reactions.

I think this one may become my favourite star wars movie of all time. I've been watching Star Wars since the 80's. It was fun and exciting, also visually stunning.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 5, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rise of Wyskalker

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sure you can, when directors can’t be bothered to respect other directors and toss out and modify plot points on a whim like it’s a drunken game of mad libs it seems perfectly appropriate to do the same.

Don’t like something in the new Star War? Just handwave it or rewrite it, chances are someone’s going to do the same loving thing 2 years later!

The OT had this too but Lucas was doing it to himself

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Starks posted:

The OT had this too but Lucas was doing it to himself

It was also not intended to be a trilogy and was the result of being unexpectedly successful beyond his wildest dreams

The new ones don’t have that excuse

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was also not intended to be a trilogy and was the result of being unexpectedly successful beyond his wildest dreams

The new ones don’t have that excuse
Counter-Point: If the trilogy was planned out then Anakin really would have been murdered by his fellow apprentice, Darth Vader, an evil space knight.

The Original Trilogy not being planned isn't a thing that needs to be excused. The original films wouldn't be as fondly remembered without the loose nature. Similarly, while it might be a bummer that ST isn't great, at least The Last Jedi is interesting. If it was planned from the beginning, we would just got three boring straight remakes of the OT.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kylo's nipples are the only human nipples we see in a Star Wars movie btw.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Second Question: Exogol????

We need to talk about Exogal.

I’m honestly surprised that fans aren’t absolutely furious about this. Undead Palpatine gets all the attention, because everyone loves the prequels, but the actual massive twist in ROS is that literally every conflict in Star Wars was the work of the Exogolians from planet Exogol.

Who’s that weird guy at the end of Solo? In the context of the ST, he’s an Exogolian, wearing the telltale robes of his culture. Exogalians are behind organized crime. Who’s that guy at the end of Rogue One? That’s the Exogolian known as Darth Vader. (According to Wookieepedia, the Exogolian relic from the start of ROS was Vader’s personal “wayfinder”). Who is the “Darth Sidious” Luke’s talking about? Another Exogolian - he destroyed the Jedi. Palpatine is obviously an Exogolian. Rey’s parents were, of course, killed by an Exogolian.

Exogolians are the ‘midichlorian’ twist times a billion, in terms of their devastating impact on the Star Wars narrative(s). But where the midichlorian twist was specifically laser-targeted at New Age horseshit interpretations of The Force, the Exogolian twist is just aimlessly moronic.

Exogal is a seemingly-barren planet, home a relatively small (but nonetheless sizeable) population of Sith. Sith is the national religion of the Exogolians, who are otherwise notably multiracial. (The ‘rule of two’ is evidently out, or non-applicable here.) So, when Palpatine says that he is “all the Sith”, he clearly means that he wields the collective psychic power of all the Exogolians in the arena.

But, who’s not an Exogolian? Kylo Ren!!(And probably Dooku). Kylo is now officially confirmed to be not a sith, for what it’s worth. For a more philosophical-type question: did Snoke know he was being controlled?

Anyway, the Exogalians’ sole major industry is Starship production. Note that the stormy, hidden planet and stony arena imagery are a mix of Kamino, Geonosis, and the mining planet from Solo. Implicitly, the Exogolians are the arms dealers ‘selling to both sides’, from TLJ.

Call it a plot hole, but the Exogolians don’t employ droid or clone slaves for some reason. But then, they ask for no money either. They want nothing but manpower. The economics of it are baffling. Who’s building all this?

Anyways, Exogol is a thing now.

Exogol is the Star Wars hell. It's specifically depicted a a place that cannot be found on any map, only discoverable by unholy artifacts. The trip there involves flying through some kind of magnetic dimensional warp. The "good guys" (Luke, Leia, Yoda, Han Solo) are permitted to stay in the world of the living, while the bad guys, like Palpatine, are condemned to Exogol. Palpatine dies and becomes King of Hades, his line "I am all the Sith" a callback to "I am the Senate". The confusion over whether the Exogolians are ghosts or aliens is deliberate; in Exogol, the dead take on physical matter. However, as in most depictions of the Underworld, the Exogolians aren't constrained by physical laws, allowing them to craft hundreds of giant spaceships. The Emperor and Exogol as a whole are mainly concerned with the taking of life, in this movie literalized as some kind of magical Force Drain maneuver. On another level, the Emperor wants to take Rey's life for his own. The ultimate plan of Exogol is to merge the worlds of the living and the dead by killing everything.

Now, one might say that the sort-of Daoist mysticism of the previous Star Wars films doesn't allow for this Manichaeic dualism, and I would agree. I probably wouldn't have ended the Star War with a fight against demons from Hell. I don't even think it fits with the other movies in the Falcon trilogy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Anakin Skywalker and Luke.

Edit: nope just anakin, my bad.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 5, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh yeah that's right. Ben following after his grandfather. Poetry.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

teagone posted:

I was gonna ask about Luke in the bacta tank but yeah, no nips.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

teagone posted:

Natalie Portman's white outfit in Attack of the Clones says hi

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
New rumors on what Disney has planned for the future of the franchise.

I believe it, because it sounds exactly like the same kind of thinking that gave us every other terrible thing about post-acquisition Lucasfilm. Just churning out carefully-calculated, four-quadrant product.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

John F Bennett posted:

I think this one may become my favourite star wars movie of all time.

listen I know Disney can pay the big bucks but my god man, have some self-respect

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Covered nips don't count.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

The only part of this that makes me actually interested is mentioning Rian Johnson still slated to write a trilogy.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In what way is he "still slated" though. He's said nothing, has Disney said anything? Is it just that nobody has confirmed or denied either way? I ask because the press tour made a point of trashing episode 8 as politely as possible, which presumably they wouldn't do if they were planning to pay The Episode 8 Guy to make three movies for them

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Natalie portman did tons for many young boys sexual development born during the early nineties
George Lucas went heavy on the bare midriffs in that movie especially

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

2house2fly posted:

In what way is he "still slated" though. He's said nothing, has Disney said anything? Is it just that nobody has confirmed or denied either way? I ask because the press tour made a point of trashing episode 8 as politely as possible, which presumably they wouldn't do if they were planning to pay The Episode 8 Guy to make three movies for them

Just that the linked article mentions it and doesn't say it's canceled. But rumors that came out a week or two ago said that the RJ trilogy has been dead for a very long time. There are also rumors that Kennedy is leaving soon and that Kevin Feige's film is the next one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Honestly I'm surprised her arena combat suit is not at iconic as Leia's metal bikini.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

2house2fly posted:

As feedmyleg said, it only mentioned that he's still attached. Whether that turns out to be the case in a month is another topic but for now if he's still going to be making more Star Wars (because for all of the fan complaints TLJ still made money and was a successful film) I will still be interested in Star Wars.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

teagone posted:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I stand corrected. Skywalker boys can't resist showing them nips.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

pospysyl posted:

Exogol is the Star Wars hell. It's specifically depicted a a place that cannot be found on any map, only discoverable by unholy artifacts. The trip there involves flying through some kind of magnetic dimensional warp. The "good guys" (Luke, Leia, Yoda, Han Solo) are permitted to stay in the world of the living, while the bad guys, like Palpatine, are condemned to Exogol. Palpatine dies and becomes King of Hades, his line "I am all the Sith" a callback to "I am the Senate". The confusion over whether the Exogolians are ghosts or aliens is deliberate; in Exogol, the dead take on physical matter. However, as in most depictions of the Underworld, the Exogolians aren't constrained by physical laws, allowing them to craft hundreds of giant spaceships. The Emperor and Exogol as a whole are mainly concerned with the taking of life, in this movie literalized as some kind of magical Force Drain maneuver. On another level, the Emperor wants to take Rey's life for his own. The ultimate plan of Exogol is to merge the worlds of the living and the dead by killing everything.

Now, one might say that the sort-of Daoist mysticism of the previous Star Wars films doesn't allow for this Manichaeic dualism, and I would agree. I probably wouldn't have ended the Star War with a fight against demons from Hell. I don't even think it fits with the other movies in the Falcon trilogy.

So Emperor Palpatine pulled off an Empire Mateus Palamecia-style move.

Which means next trilogy will be about defeating Light Half Sheev.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

teagone posted:

I stand corrected. Skywalker boys can't resist showing them nips.

This is rather prescient, because I just found this...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Star Wars Nipples thread: New nipples until you’re dust.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Rewatching the Plinkett reviews bc I'm at a loose end and it always made me laugh that his script doctor suggestion for fixing episode 3 was "make it so the republic is invaded from outside by evil clone monsters"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

pospysyl posted:

The "good guys" (Luke, Leia, Yoda, Han Solo) are permitted to stay in the world of the living, while the bad guys, like Palpatine, are condemned to Exogol.

That’s a very astute observation.

If the Exogolians were able to drag Palpatine’s rear end out of the Death Star (2) wreckage and jump-start it, then obviously they did the same for Darth Maul and so-on. The population of Exogol is literally every Sith who has ever lived, going back millennia - undead but still truckin’. Evidently, when you ‘die’ as a Sith, you get assigned to starship construction.

Of course, this means that there were literally a million Darth Mauls being kept in reserve, since long before Phantom Menace, for no clear reason.