Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Let cats murder?
Yes
No
Goku
View Results

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

phasmid posted:

I've never owned a cat in the suburbs and I've never lived in rural areas at all. :shrug:
I can't and won't argue with your anecdotal experience, but coming from a veterinary hospital work background I can tell you the data doesn't lie: indoor cats live much longer and healthier lives than do outdoor cats.

This stuff is googleable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

phasmid posted:

Also kinda resent the idea that letting cats in and out is lazy somehow. I've known a lot of people with indoor cats who work full time and have active social lives and p much just go "bye cat, see you in twelve hours!" every weekday.
Not a nice way to treat a loved one.

Obviously there are bad pet owners who keep cats indoors and bad pet owners who let their cats outdoors. If you live in an area where it’s unsafe for cats to be outdoors though it’s hard to argue that people who are letting their cats outside are great pet owners.

There are also classes of pet depending on where you live and what role the animal fills. I keep cats as companion animals, I have two cats one is 13 years and the other 6 months. They’re pampered and get a lot of affection and enrichment, they’re part of our day to day lives and I would never let them outside into the snow to fend off coyotes and hope they avoid cars, when they die I will mourn them. Our local farm has about a dozen feral barn cats, they have names and are well fed but they’re work animals and when one of them disappears or a coyote runs off with them no one mourns, they get replacement cats. Obviously there’s a spectrum of pet ownership.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

phasmid posted:

Also kinda resent the idea that letting cats in and out is lazy somehow. I've known a lot of people with indoor cats who work full time and have active social lives and p much just go "bye cat, see you in twelve hours!" every weekday.

It is lazy. Also if you’re never home and don’t have the time to care for a pet then why are you getting one? I didn’t own a dog for a long time because I knew I worked and no one would be home and waited till it fit with my family’s lifestyle

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Do it ironically posted:

It is lazy. Also if you’re never home and don’t have the time to care for a pet then why are you getting one? I didn’t own a dog for a long time because I knew I worked and no one would be home and waited till it fit with my family’s lifestyle

i reckon over 50% cat ownership is hey a cat showed up at my door now i own a cat, i'm 4 of 4 this way

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

How?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

phasmid posted:

A cat is not a human baby. All cats, big and small, are actually solitary animals. A little bit of care and affection go a long, long way. Especially if you have two cats (as I do), they will for the most part keep each other occupied and entertained while you're away at work.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Didn't realize being infected with :toxogond: made you forget what statistics are

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fleetwood Crack posted:

All cats, big and small, are actually solitary animals.

this is actually not true tbh. cats are social animals, they just have different cues from say dogs.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Everyone acts like It's cool if cats kill birds but everytime my golden eagle brings home a dead cat people get all bent out of shape wtf

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

esperterra posted:

cats are social animals, they just have different cues from say dogs.
This is really only true in feral conditions and it's about survival of the litter. Individual housecats don't require anywhere near the same kind of socialization as say a dog.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

Everyone acts like It's cool if cats kill birds but everytime my golden eagle brings home a dead cat people get all bent out of shape wtf

Well one was likely someone's loved pet and one was a wild animal, glad I could help you understand.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fleetwood Crack posted:

This is really only true in feral conditions and it's about survival of the litter. Individual housecats di not require anywhere near the same kind of socialization as say a dog.

tbh it's prob arguable that domesticated cats are more social creatures than wildcats, who can live either alone or in colonies. but there's a reason people recommend adopting cats in pairs, and it's not just to keep eachother occupied.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

esperterra posted:

tbh it's prob arguable that domesticated cats are more social creatures than wildcats, who can live either alone or in colonies. but there's a reason people recommend adopting cats in pairs, and it's not just to keep eachother occupied.
Yeah I will admit I wouldn't adopt a single cat out of feelings of guilt about living one home alone, but I was talking more about human socialization not feline to feline socialization. I should've clarified that earlier.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Well one was likely someone's loved pet and one was a wild animal, glad I could help you understand.

How do you tell the pets from the feral cats? Maybe I can train her to tell the difference

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When I moved my parents to an acreage I warned them... You need a barn cat but you need to treat him as a worker. If you get all lovey dovey with him you're going to be pretty sad when he gets snatched.

And of course my idiot city parents said "Oh we'll treat him like a pet and then call him in at night" I think that worked for around 6 months.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 4, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Yeah I will admit I wouldn't adopt a single cat out of feelings of guilt about living one home alone, but I was talking more about human socialization not feline to feline socialization. I should've clarified that earlier.

that's fair! and that obvs depends more on the cat. and the person. i think a lot of domesticated cats who seem antisocial may have just ended up that way b/c of however their human raised them

then again i am a crazy cat person who probably has a brain parasite

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

jonathan posted:

When I moved my parents to an acreage I warned them... You need a barn cat but you need to treat him as a worker. If you get all lovey dovey with him you're going to be pretty sad when he gets snatched.

And of course my idiot city parents said "Oh we'll treat him like a pet and then call him in at night" I think that worked for around 6 months.

main thing is to be on a property with plenty of trees or an open style barn where it can out run/climb anything. i've had twice my outdoor cat jump on a stray dog that came across the property when my kids were outside which I never really knew they would do.

That video of the cat saving the boy from the dog mauling is amazing.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Oh yeah thats another thing. Outside cats contract parasites like crazy.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mnoba posted:

main thing is to be on a property with plenty of trees or an open style barn where it can out run/climb anything. i've had twice my outdoor cat jump on a stray dog that came across the property when my kids were outside which I never really knew they would do.

That video of the cat saving the boy from the dog mauling is amazing.

Yeah this was trees all over but there are bears moose cougars lynx coyotes wolves fox eagles owls hawks etc and they're all on the property at any given time.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

jonathan posted:

Yeah this was trees all over but there are bears moose cougars lynx coyotes wolves fox eagles owls hawks etc and they're all on the property at any given time.
Yikes.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

no big spiders though

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Yeah indoor cats live longer lives but isnt it still messed up? You wouldn’t keep a dog or a child or probably even like a ferret inside for their ENTIRE lives. I honestly even feel bad for keeping my pet rats inside all their lives but at least it’s easy to give them a large space relative to their size with lots of climbing space. If a cat can’t go outside then it should have some huge crazy cat room full of stuff to hide in and climb on, otherwise wtf is it supposed to do all day

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You are beginning to understand that all animal ownership is slavery and a gilded cage is still a cage :downsbravo:

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Only hairless great apes are people, and "slave" is a title bestowed upon people. Not any other entity.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Yeah I will admit I wouldn't adopt a single cat out of feelings of guilt about living one home alone,

Cats naturally sleep 18 or more hours a day, you don't have to feel guilty about leaving a solitary cat alone when go to work. It'll just sleep. They don't need that much attention.

Of course it's nice to have more than one if your living space is big enough, because they can entertain each other and do stuff like kitty wrestling that they can't do with people. (Or at least it isn't the best way for people to play with a cat.) Multiple cats in a small space and you can end up with a situation where one spends its life in a single room and never comes out. I'd rather have a single cat and spend some extra time waving a feather toy around.

Cats like boredom, they get stressed out by change and excitement.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I got what’s called a “Florida room”. Like a screened in porch, but still a room with four walls with windows all around. So my cats can feel the breeze and the sun, chase and kill lizards that might get in and all that without any danger.

I had an indoor/outdoor cat that lived to nearly 20, but I also had 2 others disappear. Gilded cage it is for my cats. One is fraidy cat and the other is Siamese, so he’d either get stolen or get himself killed for being a psycho and doing something dumb, which is just normal behavior for a Siamese.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I have a fenced enclosed garden and I let my cats out and they don't really wanna leave it, they just go out there and chill and eat bugs and take a poo poo in the bushes sometimes. I think female cats are better because they don't roam as much.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I miss my childhood cat Woden, he was cool as hell and would bring my mom dead birds and rodents while she was gardening as a "here dummy, maybe someday you'll be on my level" flex.

As bad as cats gently caress up bird populations this is still hilarious to me that cats do this because we are obviously very lovely at getting our own birbs to eat as far as they can tell.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Laslow posted:

I got what’s called a “Florida room”. Like a screened in porch, but still a room with four walls with windows all around. So my cats can feel the breeze and the sun, chase and kill lizards that might get in and all that without any danger.

I had an indoor/outdoor cat that lived to nearly 20, but I also had 2 others disappear. Gilded cage it is for my cats. One is fraidy cat and the other is Siamese, so he’d either get stolen or get himself killed for being a psycho and doing something dumb, which is just normal behavior for a Siamese.

Can confirm siamese are insane. My boy is half siamese and he's got quirks out the wazoo even for a cat. Also he never shuts the gently caress up ever.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Yeah indoor cats live longer lives but isnt it still messed up? You wouldn’t keep a dog or a child or probably even like a ferret inside for their ENTIRE lives. I honestly even feel bad for keeping my pet rats inside all their lives but at least it’s easy to give them a large space relative to their size with lots of climbing space. If a cat can’t go outside then it should have some huge crazy cat room full of stuff to hide in and climb on
:agreed:

I highly recommend this:

CatastrophiCreations Cat Mod Garden Complex Handcrafted Wall Mounted Cat Tree Shelves with Planter for Cat Grass, Onyx/Natural, One Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711DDDW6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xFweEb1X8KSBT

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dont Touch ME posted:

Only hairless great apes are people, and "slave" is a title bestowed upon people. Not any other entity.

TIL a chimpanzee is an animal but a shaved chimpanzee in heels and a dress is a slave.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Outrail posted:

TIL a chimpanzee is an animal but a shaved chimpanzee in heels and a dress is a slave.

Not a hairless great ape. The difference is epistemological, in much the same way a plucked chicken is not a man.

That being said, there is a greater capacity for a bonobo or chimpanzee to be a slave than a cat or really any other creature. Still doesn't quite hit the threshold, however.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Lyall's wren was wiped out in less than two years by cats (and the humans who brought them)

RIP little guy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dont Touch ME posted:

Oh yeah thats another thing. Outside cats contract parasites like crazy.

Yeah this, cat aids isn’t a fun time.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
cats are deffo more social than we thought

just think about all of the bizarre vocalizations they can make. they don't have a weirdly sophisticated array of chirps and burbles and hisses and whatever for nothing

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

cats are deffo more social than we thought

just think about all of the bizarre vocalizations they can make. they don't have a weirdly sophisticated array of chirps and burbles and hisses and whatever for nothing

half of the meows cats make at us are for our benefit, they realise we don't understand their subtle cues and just scream at us

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
I have a cat that was a stray and she had all the kinds of worms basically except heartworms. Also a cat herpes but only once? Not sure. Gross. What a lovely life if she has just stayed out and died from worms.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

half of the meows cats make at us are for our benefit, they realise we don't understand their subtle cues and just scream at us

my cat thinks that i'm dumb as poo poo

he's right, of course

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got friends with 2 cats that go outside using the backdoor cat flap and then sit and wait at the front door until someone arrives so they can be let in that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

I live right next to a city and I've got lovely neighbors who throw their cats outside. They say it's healthier, they want to be outside, etc., and completely ignore that their cats spend most of their time trying to get back inside. The rest of the time is running from rain/snow, playing in the streets between cars, attacking wildlife, and getting into screaming fights (coming to blows) with other neighborhood and feral cats.
If you live on a farm where a cat can be a ratter, great. Outdoor cats with jobs are different. But letting pets loose in and around cities should be illegal (if it's not already). You don't let your dogs wander the streets at night, why would you let your cats?
Every person around where I live with outdoor cats is the same - no cat furniture, often too many animals in a small space, and owners with no empathy. Of course your cat is fleeing out the front door when they have no vertical space and are constantly running from your other three unhappy cats and dogs in your one bedroom apartment, it doesn't mean they're escaping to some beautiful wonderland or a scheduled playdate.
If your cat is social, have two or more social cats and in a space that works for them. If your lizard/rat/dog/etc. is social you don't throw them outside, you make a better environment for them.
If your cat needs exercise, get exercise equipment, actually play with them, and/or harness+leash train them. If your dog need exercise you don't throw them outside, you walk/run them on a leash (or get them to a dog-specific area to exercise).
If you honestly think your cat wants to be outside then set up a secure outdoor space. Don't assume the world will take care of your pet. That's being the parent who drops off their young children at malls all day because of course the Gamestop employees will look after them.
Pets aren't that complicated, they just require that you give a poo poo and learn what they need. They're not decorations. I'm sick of seeing dead wildlife, cats abandoned because they stayed outside too long so they were replaced, and cats hurt or worse from owner neglect. If you don't have the space for cats then don't get cats.
:sigh: