Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
yeah it's equally likely to me that they knew but not knowing wouldn't come at a surprise at all.

they either encourage war crimes or they're too dumb to stop war crimes

wow thank god we give them hundreds of billions of dollars every year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Syrian and Iraqi Kurdistan are very, very different places. Barzani actually gets on reasonably well with Turkey.

The Iraqi Kurds only get along with Turkey to the extent that they accept that independence isn't an option and allow Turkey to freely kill PKK in their territory. After the independence referendum, Turkey was part of the stranglehold that got the Kurds to back down and got the Barzani who was President of the region to step down. All the Turkish forces just hanging out in northern Iraq would have a hell of a lot to say about the US suddenly declaring northern Iraq independent.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Think the Pentagon was trying to get into a shooting war with Iran or they incompetent and kill Soleimani out of rashness?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
from my experience interacting with career military officers I think some of them probably thought the world would be shocked and impressed by their boldness and willingness to take decisive action and it would force the Iranians to come grovel at the USA's feet offering concessions

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

yeah i think anyone could have guessed that rounding up iranians in the united states would be part of this (even though many of them are probably strongly anti iran)

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

the American public has not much appetite for (obvious) war over oil so sparking a shitstorm achieves the American goal of forever war

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mister Bates posted:

from my experience interacting with career military officers I think some of them probably thought the world would be shocked and impressed by their boldness and willingness to take decisive action and it would force the Iranians to come grovel at the USA's feet offering concessions

is this some dumb d-list movie plot?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
how awesome would it be if trump got captured and tried by iran

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1213914873731698690?s=20

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Agrajag posted:

is this some dumb d-list movie plot?

it's basically every Tom Clancy novel

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

oh my god the comments of this post

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

:toot:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rated PG-34 posted:

the American public has not much appetite for (obvious) war over oil so sparking a shitstorm achieves the American goal of forever war

Yeah even among the right wingers I see on facebook its 50 50 if they're against it

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Is al'shabab even affiliated with Iran? Those troops were there to fight them because the Nigerians weren't able to, I thought. Plus I thought that al'shabab liked ISIS?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Is al'shabab even affiliated with Iran? Those troops were there to fight them because the Nigerians weren't able to, I thought. Plus I thought that al'shabab liked ISIS?

They have nothing at all to do with Iran. Some defected to ISIS, but they're mostly aligned with Al Qaeda.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, they're wahhabists, they have a lot more in common with the Saudis than Iran

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Al! posted:

yeah i think anyone could have guessed that rounding up iranians in the united states would be part of this (even though many of them are probably strongly anti iran)

Using praise from the Iranian immigrant community to push this war and rounding them up is loving galaxy brained

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://twitter.com/PDean2017/status/1213918320191266819
https://twitter.com/tikielvis24/status/1213916782869778433

oh, word?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mister Bates posted:

This is more accurate than people are willing to realize. My brigade commander made sure to mention “speed and aggression” and “sudden, overwhelming violence of action” in pretty much every briefing and that mentality pretty much goes up the chain of command.

Someone commenting on junior officers in Vietnam said that new Lt’s saw a frontal assault as a rite of passage, even if it was not called for and would form up for an attack even from harassing, ineffective fire. Those junior officers were generals in the 2000’s and developed the training, doctrine and attitude all the way down the chain of command.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Using praise from the Iranian immigrant community to push this war and rounding them up is loving galaxy brained

Remember how the US denied asylum for the people behind the Venezuelan coup

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Still don't get Americans extreme hatred for Iran.

Does it all go back to the hostage crisis after the revolution? Not being born yet I don't know how that impacted people.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frosted Flake posted:

This is more accurate than people are willing to realize. My brigade commander made sure to mention “speed and aggression” and “sudden, overwhelming violence of action” in pretty much every briefing and that mentality pretty much goes up the chain of command.

Someone commenting on junior officers in Vietnam said that new Lt’s saw a frontal assault as a rite of passage, even if it was not called for and would form up for an attack even from harassing, ineffective fire. Those junior officers were generals in the 2000’s and developed the training, doctrine and attitude all the way down the chain of command.

haaaahahahahaha

oh man, american military history of the last fifty years makes so much sense if the morons are going back to elan vital thinking.

it's worked as well for us as it did for the French a century ago, let's see if it works out in WW3 the way it did in WW1.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
https://mobile.twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1213873486474731520

A high budget rip off of season 9 of Curb your Enthusiasm.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Raccooon posted:

Does it all go back to the hostage crisis after the revolution? Not being born yet I don't know how that impacted people.

They legitimately helped Shia militias kill a bunch of Americans during the occupation of Iraq, but it's hard to blame them when Bush was openly telling them they were next despite their attempt to work with us in Afghanistan. Bogging us down in Iraq was smart both to keep us too busy to gently caress with them and so they could build ties to militant factions in Iraq to gain influence for the long term.

Israel constantly flipping out about how Iran's going to attack them from Syria also keeps Iran at the forefront of too many Americans' minds. Israel's already shown a pretty solid ability to bomb any Iranians who get too close to their border, but for some reason it's our job to work to expel them from Syria too.

Dr Kool-AIDS has issued a correction as of 21:32 on Jan 5, 2020

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Raccooon posted:

iran seized british oil industry like...

lmao almost a century ago now, like 75 years ago or something

this poo poo is all deeply abstracted but that's what it goes back to, revenge for denying their wealth to the west

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

ah, 21st century élan

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Sinteres posted:

They legitimately helped Shia militias kill a bunch of Americans during the occupation of Iraq, but it's hard to blame them when Bush was openly telling them they were next despite their attempt to work with us in Afghanistan. Bogging us down in Iraq was smart both to keep us too busy to gently caress with them and so they could build ties to militant factions in Iraq to gain influence for the long term.

also yeah if we hadn't gone into stupid adventurism into iraq for no good reason we might actually have frosty but civil relations with iran today lmao oh well

millions of lives destroyed for nothing! that's america babey!!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Raccooon posted:

Yeah, this is 70 years of tit for tat bloody noses all because they didn't want American Freedom

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raccooon posted:

the american security/military apparatus hates iran with an undying passion both for overthowing the shah and the ensuing hostage crisis, and because the iranians have consistently and effectively hurt american interests, and agents, in the middle east

the beirut barracks bombing is a big one. the iranians and hezbollah also managed to kidnap, torture and execute the CIA station chief for the middle east in the 80s, and blew up a meeting of the whole top CIA mideast leadership thanks to the information they extracted from him.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

haaaahahahahaha

oh man, american military history of the last fifty years makes so much sense if the morons are going back to elan vital thinking.

it's worked as well for us as it did for the French a century ago, let's see if it works out in WW3 the way it did in WW1.

don’t worry we don’t have le rouge pantaloons so it’s gonna work this time!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

yeah, they're wahhabists, they have a lot more in common with the Saudis than Iran

Not wahabis, but salafis, and more nationalistic than religious.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Everyone hates America regardless of whether or not they liked Suleimani

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
We're a huge uniting factor in the region / world in that regard

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

PawParole posted:

Not wahabis, but salafis, and more nationalistic than religious.

oh, i'd read they were both

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Israel constantly flipping out about how Iran's going to attack them from Syria also keeps Iran at the forefront of too many Americans' minds. Israel's already shown a pretty solid ability to bomb any Iranians who get too close to their border, but for some reason it's our job to work to expel them from Syria too.

Can't really blame them. At that point the US had invaded the countries on either side of them. Makes sense to gently caress with the US in Iraq as a defensive maneuver.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1213921654323236864?s=20
Lmao

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Paramemetic posted:

Everyone hates America regardless of whether or not they liked Suleimani

https://twitter.com/iamgriff_/status/1213656302725062656?s=21

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1213919480574812160?s=20
Normal poo poo

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

oh, i'd read they were both

Nope. Wahabism is a specific type of Salafism. The taliban and as-shabab follow local strains of religious Puritanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
free paul soccer