Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

lofi posted:

It's one of the biggest things that puts me off scanlations, how unnatural (even if they're technically accurate) the vast majority of them sound.

Kind of a weird axe to grind, like do you never talk with ESL people in the real world or what? Calling it unnatural feels a bit much, it's just a different way of saying something based on how their language works and it still makes sense so who cares. Just picture it as Japanese people talking in English or w/e and bing bang boom it fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
that couple pisses me off

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Dear Mr. Toriyama,

Your advice to scream at the top of my lungs for three minutes straight did not, in fact, find me a date.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

End of Shoelace posted:

that couple pisses me off

Not me. Now I wanna read The Daily Life of a Polkadot moron and his rear end in a top hat girlfriend.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Time for Tohru to try to impress women by bulking up and punching dudes for no reason

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hot drat.

Oda sucked for a bit but now he's ok in my book.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

That's not pot, that's a booger.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

What's the Japanese word for weed, anyway? Paato?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Appoda posted:

What's the Japanese word for weed, anyway? Paato?

it's more the word for "cannabis" less slangy (as in it's the title of the japanese wikipedia article about cannabis), but i couldnt fit the word "cannabis" and i wanted the text to be big and impactful, so yeah maybe it's not 100% accurate. sue me

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

"pot" is probably the most formal slang term for it, and totally the one that an old like Oda would go for if not "cannabis"

like I've only heard "pot" from either people born before the 60s or so, or people who don't smoke

(lately everyone I know is calling it "flower" because of vapes)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
People say pot all over upstate NY, Woodstock area still fyi

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i say "weed" when i talk about what i smoke, and "bud" when talking to a dealer. tho i've also heard the youngsters around here call it stuff like "green" and im sure ive heard "grass" a couple times though that's an old one.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mr. Steak posted:

i say "weed" when i talk about what i smoke, and "bud" when talking to a dealer. tho i've also heard the youngsters around here call it stuff like "green" and im sure ive heard "grass" a couple times though that's an old one.

Just ask for something dank that’s not a meme and wiggle your eyebrows while elbowing them

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Oda, no! That's like 20 years jail in polite yet horribly overly structured Japanese prison!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

All the cool kids are calling it "wacky-tobaccy" nowadays.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I call it hashish cigarettes in a really cop-y voice

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Give me some of that jazz cabbage.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Devil's lettuce

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

The Butcher posted:

Oda, no! That's like 20 years jail in polite yet horribly overly structured Japanese prison!

I just read it's a punishment of up to 7 years for possession, and up to 10 for aggriculture, but apparently you made bank as a gram of middle range weed can go for $45

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
He's accidentally growing oregano.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

The Forbidden Parsley

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
busy day, so short update.

however, i am extremely proud of y'all for resisting the urge to heckle me, so i may do a little extra before i sleep.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Nep-Nep posted:

I'm enjoying Breaking Bad but instead of meth they're making manga growing weed and Jesse is grossed out by Walt's snot carpet.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mr. Steak posted:

however, i am extremely proud of y'all for resisting the urge to heckle me,

thats not entirely true, i was going to demand to know wtf my neet was but my phone ran out of battery

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Mr. Steak posted:

however, i am extremely proud of y'all for resisting the urge to heckle me, so i may do a little extra before i sleep.

Wait... NOT heckling Steak is what makes him post more?

We're hosed!

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Resting Lich Face posted:

We're hosed!

That's our Steak: Firm, but with a little give.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Chunderbucket posted:

That's our Steak: Firm, but with a little give.

A poster of rare quality.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Mr. Steak posted:

can't wait to see odas hemp shirt side business. It's such a useful fiber and not itchy at all!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Resting Lich Face posted:

We're hosed!

He's lying, heckling Steak renews the power of the ancient geas that compells him to post NEET.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Don't believe him, he's just testing our faith!

And while he's doing that, he's not posting NEET :colbert:

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

For gently caress's sake, what is taking so long OP? Post some NEET already.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

NEET!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
NEET
NEET
NEET
NEET

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

SirSamVimes posted:

He's lying, heckling Steak renews the power of the ancient geas that compells him to post NEET.

1) Knows ancient languages
2) Is able to transmit them to people around the world instantly
3) Heckling does appear to force the translations to occur

Seems like a pretty clear binding curse to me.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I think there should be a little less of the Not in Education, Employment, or Training comic. The pacing and satisfactory panel layout is helped by a slow and deliberate update schedule. Plus it will give him more time to provide quality translations like, "where does your head hurt the most?"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Adeline Weishaupt posted:

I think there should be a little less of the Not in Education, Employment, or Training comic. The pacing and satisfactory panel layout is helped by a slow and deliberate update schedule. Plus it will give him more time to provide quality translations like, "where does your head hurt the most?"

counterpoint: NEET NEET NEET

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Voted 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

NEET
NEET
NEET
NEET

neet backwards is teen