Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I never pick support fire because it's hard for me to gauge how much it helps. Also, the last time I picked it, I got really disappointed that the bow special didn't proc it multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

(oh boy I get a mediocre effect when I die) Feels like the only god that will never let you down is Ares.

The “cause weak when slain” boon is when enemies die, not when you die.

I also basically only like Ares’ call and...nothing else (although his dash has grown on me with ranged weapons).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

gandlethorpe posted:

I never pick support fire because it's hard for me to gauge how much it helps. Also, the last time I picked it, I got really disappointed that the bow special didn't proc it multiple times.

IMO support fire is one of the best perks in the game. Its okay on almost any build but absolutely bonkers on any weapon that attacks quickly. The bow is the only weapon where its not a good pick just because it can't be used very quickly.

kaschei posted:

The “cause weak when slain” boon is when enemies die, not when you die.

Man how did I misread that for 30+ runs

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Internet Kraken posted:

IMO support fire is one of the best perks in the game. Its okay on almost any build but absolutely bonkers on any weapon that attacks quickly. The bow is the only weapon where its not a good pick just because it can't be used very quickly.

It procs off each arrow in the special though so it's a decent dps buff. And it can reapply doom or poison or weak or whatever too, I think.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Vargs posted:

I tend to go with a god keepsake that would synergize with my weapon->200 gold keepsake->another god keepsake based on what I think would synergize best with my current build->myrmidon bracer for damage reduction vs Hades.

Sometimes I'll mix in the chaos trinket if the between-floor shop has a guaranteed chaos gate for sale.
Not a bad idea. I do think the game tends to weigh RNG for giving you Gods you've already visited, so if you want to get Artemis or stuff.

Had a really good run with the Shield with the Spinning Special aspect with Poisedon giving +180% damage and knockback and rupter and duo with zeus to also strike lightning and jolted, explode when shield is retrieved, Zeus special, and some other fun things. I could just put the shield out infront of me and get his Call going and stand t here with impunity. Worked out really well. I kinda regret not going Chaos Shield first but I've already invested it to lvl4 and god dammit I'm going to make it work. I'll agree Poisedon is kinda weak overall just because Knockback doesn't really help vs bosses but it can help proc the 2-status effect boost and Rupture ain't completely awful.

What exactly does +20% Special Speed mean from Hermes? Is it cooldown?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Xaris posted:

Not a bad idea. I do think the game tends to weigh RNG for giving you Gods you've already visited, so if you want to get Artemis or stuff.

Had a really good run with the Shield with the Spinning Special aspect with Poisedon giving +180% damage and knockback and rupter and duo with zeus to also strike lightning and jolted, explode when shield is retrieved, Zeus special, and some other fun things. I could just put the shield out infront of me and get his Call going and stand t here with impunity. Worked out really well. I kinda regret not going Chaos Shield first but I've already invested it to lvl4 and god dammit I'm going to make it work. I'll agree Poisedon is kinda weak overall just because Knockback doesn't really help vs bosses but it can help proc the 2-status effect boost and Rupture ain't completely awful.

What exactly does +20% Special Speed mean from Hermes? Is it cooldown?

It's animation speed, which is effectively cooldown since specials don't really have cooldowns in this game, you can use them as soon as the previous special finishes its animation. The boon is very noticeable with the big slow mortar lob on the rail.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Artemis basically boosts your damage by quite a bit regardless of what your preferred attack is, she has what is probably the easiest to use, if not the best (it's pretty drat good), manual Cast, and Support Fire as a Tier 1 ability. Fully Loaded is busted and her only bad Duo is Zeus. If you pick Athena and Aphrodite (both also really good God picks), you also massively buff your DPS, either by proccing crit with half your attacks or dealing 50% more damage because you dashed near them. Stacking crit damage and crit chance kinda breaks this game, it works on Diablo rules. Remember, Chaos multiplies your base damage, Cast has REALLY high base damage and crits TRIPLE it.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Rng sometimes just screws you over. Got a bunch of dash damage boons but never got extra casts in my Hera bow run. Still got to phase 2 of the boss though.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Well, I finally got my first win with a kinda lovely build bailed out by Fully Loaded in Styx. After two chokes at about 20% on the final boss, I suppose I'll take it.

Curse of Longing sounds a lot better than it is.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

Aren't damage numbers turned on by default? If you see that you do X damage each hit then it adds Y additional damage in the form of an arrow that will probably just hit the thing you're targeting, but may hit something else, which is cool because it means that any overkill damage from support fire just finds something else to go hit. So if your DPS is primarily due to fire rate, then it's crazy good since it's a flat amount added to every hit. Whereas if you primarily deal big strikes then it's merely on par with basically any +X% damage boon cause the arrows happen to deal reasonably good damage on their own

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Internet Kraken posted:

First time I picked up support fire it was for the railgun with the infinite ammo upgrade, and turning every encounter into an Itano Circus was good times.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Yeah, learn what number the boss chamber usually is and don't hit the shop just before it without a reasonable amount of coin. There'll usually be an alternative to it and there's no fight, just an empty shop with it lying there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Any opinions on what my priorities should be when it comes to spending keys/darkness and using nectar? I have a couple death's doors unlocked and have mostly just been spending nectar to get all the god keepsakes so far.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Glazius posted:

Yeah, learn what number the boss chamber usually is and don't hit the shop just before it without a reasonable amount of coin. There'll usually be an alternative to it and there's no fight, just an empty shop with it lying there.

Single-exit chaos gates can sometimes send you to a shop if you’re out of Fated Authority :(

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Fated Authority doesn't even work for shops and other special rooms like main bosses.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

Any opinions on what my priorities should be when it comes to spending keys/darkness and using nectar? I have a couple death's doors unlocked and have mostly just been spending nectar to get all the god keepsakes so far.
Down to preference on the mirror, but in general going down the list in order doesn't hurt much. The extra dash is probably good to prioritize.
Some good early, easy to use keepsakes you can pick up: Cerberus, Hypnos, Skelly.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Glazius posted:

Is there a way to tell what room number you are on?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

Is there a way to tell what room number you are on?

If you inspect your boons it will say “Chamber: 24” in the upper right corner.

I think furies are 15, Hydra is 25, and Theseus is 35.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
So, uh, Hunting Blades is the best Boon in the game? It's a pain in the rear end to get, but I dont know how you lose once you have constant, free, fire-and-forget damage like that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fenn the Fool! posted:

So, uh, Hunting Blades is the best Boon in the game? It's a pain in the rear end to get, but I dont know how you lose once you have constant, free, fire-and-forget damage like that.

You go mad with power and black metal and can't see enemy tells clearly inside the rifts, is how.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Now try it with Vicious Cycle (Ares's Legendary).

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

That sounds fun. Haven't seen it yet.

How many successive doom hits do you get for that Ares+Aphrodite duo boon?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

ILL Machina posted:

That sounds fun. Haven't seen it yet.

How many successive doom hits do you get for that Ares+Aphrodite duo boon?
I think it just keeps reapplying Doom at the lower value for the duration of the Weak, but in the run I got it I didn't get the extended Weak boon so it's hard to tell if it's a more limited duration. It appeared that you had to apply both Weak and Doom onto the monster for it to work. It didn't seem that effective, but you can probably concoct a scenario for it that's useful.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Got really close to finishing off Hades with a Poseidon Sword run cobbled together with Aphrodite Cast and the exit damage for bloodstones boom but ripped at about 20% on P2. Would’ve been a clear if I hadn’t wasted a death previously or just gotten a little bit lucky with shop RNG in Styx (really hate the lack of shops in rooms there), but I have all 3 death tokens now so should be soon.

Tried Hera’s but was not a fan of how slow it seemed. Really needed the decreased bloodstone time boom or just some other way to get back bloodstones sooner.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Iverron posted:

Tried Hera’s but was not a fan of how slow it seemed. Really needed the decreased bloodstone time boom or just some other way to get back bloodstones sooner.

Starting a Hera bow run with the Dionysus or Ares trinket has good odds of letting you just get the festive fog or blade rift casts, which don't stick in enemies so you don't have to wait nearly as long to get your bloodstones back. I like Ares a bit more because it puts you closer to his Legendary which combines with his cast to be absolutely nuts for a Hera bow run.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Iverron posted:

Got really close to finishing off Hades with a Poseidon Sword run cobbled together with Aphrodite Cast and the exit damage for bloodstones boom but ripped at about 20% on P2. Would’ve been a clear if I hadn’t wasted a death previously or just gotten a little bit lucky with shop RNG in Styx (really hate the lack of shops in rooms there), but I have all 3 death tokens now so should be soon.

Part of the power of Hera's Bow is that it comes with a bloodstone time reduction that you can improve by spending titan blood. So if you use casts at all then it's pretty nuts but you've really got to train yourself to use casts as often as possible, and not always on the biggest targets

I don't know whether it's intentional or a bug but it also makes your weapon insanely good against armored targets. Because normally when a thing's armor is broken the rest of the damage from that hit is lost, but your casts count as extra hits, so you can often one-shot armored things. It makes handling the champions in Elysium a lot easier since you can always 1-shot the little respawning ghost things and immediately get your bloodstones back

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Iverron posted:

Tried Hera’s but was not a fan of how slow it seemed.

Amusingly, I just did a Hell 10 Hera run with the intent of getting Hunting Blades just to see how broken it would be. The answer was very;

It was pretty good before I got Hunting Blades, broken once I did, and then absolutely the most braindead easy win I can possibly imagine when I got Fully Loaded. I didn't even need to try in the last fight. Just watched the blades spin around. My one regret is that Hermes didn't give me the auto bloodstone recall, which would of pushed this to such an unfair standard that I'd half expect the game to accuse me of cheating and crash.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ares/Athena boon with the Chaos Shield is also insane, it's pretty much the speedrun strat to get a seed where you can RNG manipulate that.

But really, any Artemis Duo Boon other than Zeus (thunder uncle get away) is super strong. Also I've changed my starting pick to the Coin Purse after watching some people playing the game and it's a nice way to be able to be flexible.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Zeus just seems like a really underwhelming good in general, though I guess his attack boon might be good on the railgun since its flat damage.

I dunno if they balance this game but I kind of hope him and Poseidon get more incentive to go with.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Dias posted:

But really, any Artemis Duo Boon other than Zeus (thunder uncle get away) is super strong.

I end up getting this all the time since I usually take the Zeus dash if it's available and prioritize Artemis over the other gods. It's not too bad if you just fire out all your casts at the start of the room and don't bother picking them up, especially if you get either the Artemis legendary along with it or bonus casts from Chaos.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Zeus just seems like a really underwhelming good in general, though I guess his attack boon might be good on the railgun since its flat damage.

I dunno if they balance this game but I kind of hope him and Poseidon get more incentive to go with.

Next big update in <20 days. I bet we can expect more than just new content.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I like both Zeus and Poseidon. Poseidon's attack, special, dash, and cast are all solid options that work for any build (with the notable exception of the triple bomb upgrade). Zeus's special is the best flat damage boost for specials that hit multiple times. Rupture and Jolted are both great status effects. And if you can get a bunch of boons from each, their Duo is the only way I know of to apply 2 status effects with the same attack. That duo probably gives you the best possible DPS with the charon bow or zag rail.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I have a love/hate relationship with Zeus because his boons always feel underwhelming until the moment it all clicks and you have UNLIMITED POWER.

Might try to see if I can get Zeus/Poseidon next run. Still need the duo for the list anyway...

Jossar fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 6, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ILL Machina posted:

It procs off each arrow in the special though so it's a decent dps buff. And it can reapply doom or poison or weak or whatever too, I think.

Are you sure about the special? Coulda sworn it didn't but maybe it's another buff I was expecting multiprocs from.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Are you sure about the special? Coulda sworn it didn't but maybe it's another buff I was expecting multiprocs from.
It definitely doesn't happen per projectile on bow special.

Now someone test it with second cast effect from Artemis boon.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Internet Kraken posted:

I did Zeus with Railgun Infinite Ammo and it was surprisingly disapointing. Maybe I just didn't have enough Duo boons but Auto-Attack was extremely anemic vs bosses and I ended up losing to the last boss pretty badly whereas I usually mop him up with a Triple Special build. It did well enough vs general mobs, though still not as awesome as I've had other builds go.

But yeah he's overall a bit weak. Some decent Duo boons, and Jolted is nice. Like I said I had a run with the Shield + Spinning Shield Aspect where I had the Poisedon Special along with Poisedon's Rupture effect and a Duo with Zeus that cast'd Lightning upon Knockback which itself also procced Jolted (4-5 boon investment tho) and that did very well, so I'd throw out the spinning disk and everything immediately had a 2-status effect going to hit them for +50% damage and it destroyed Styx hard. His Greater Call also is very good with Shield because you can just stand there with your shield out while it shoots down bolts, but it's sort of really working the fringes with Zeus to make it decent. The Elysium bosses went down like chumps between having spinning disk wreck their face and standing ontop of them with Zeus's Greater Call, I think it was one of my fastest Elysium boss fights ever.

Still, I pretty much prefer most gods when possible and try to avoid Zeus as best as I can, until I've got some good primary Gods rolling in and have fleshed out primary boons. It's not quite FTL-level of "building for the boss" but I never lose any lives going through the levels themselves with regular/mini-boss mobs (unless I gently caress up and hit several traps in Styx with the +X00% trap damage Pact on) such I mostly try to build things that will either provide enough defense/mobility for boss-fights and good single-target damage.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 7, 2020

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Finally beat the last boss for the first time. Was not expecting what followed.

On a lark I went with the basic rail and it ended up massacring everything with a combo of support fire, poison attack, Athena cast/dash and exit wounds/quick reload.

Actually forget the rest, Athena cast/dash and exit wounds/quick reload hurt so much while providing massive safety.

Now I can start dealing with heat!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I like both Zeus and Poseidon. Poseidon's attack, special, dash, and cast are all solid options that work for any build (with the notable exception of the triple bomb upgrade). Zeus's special is the best flat damage boost for specials that hit multiple times. Rupture and Jolted are both great status effects. And if you can get a bunch of boons from each, their Duo is the only way I know of to apply 2 status effects with the same attack. That duo probably gives you the best possible DPS with the charon bow or zag rail.

The issue with Poseidon is that he's very middle-of-the-pack at everything. For basic attack boosts, you'd rather have Artemis or Aphrodite (Either pure damage or Weak are better than knockback), depending on the weapon, Ares is also a better pick. His dash is really good for small critters but you'd rather have Athena or Aphrodite Dash more often than not, even Dionysius if you HAVE to is an arguable pick if you wanna trigger Privileged Status. He also has a ton of "make pickups better!" boons that you kinda don't wanna take, so it just dilutes the pool? His Duos and Legendary are also super lackluster. He isn't bad, especially early on, it's just that usually I wanna pick someone else over him.

Zeus I'm just unimpressed by, I think his AoE gimmick doesn't matter since AoE is something you have access to yourself or your single target damage is so insane you just destroy targets one at a time. I'm not sure lightning procs crit either, and he's the only thing that buffs his own damage then. His duos and legendary are better than Poseidon's but still...if I'm gonna invest a ton in a God, I want something BULLSHIT. Artemis and almost anyone else gives me something bullshit. Ares/Athena is ridiculous. Zeus gives me something solid. Unless I'm missing something and constantly applying Privileged Status with Jolted and Rupture matters that much.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I finally get a good poseidon build going and the game crashes halfway through Elysium, god dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I'm sure everyone is running heat at a million by now so I'm probably behind the curve, but I got my first clear on my 12th attempt (having finally unlocked the ability to change weapon aspects, and finally taken my Death Defiance to rank 2 instead of rank 1). I was feeling the spear, but I bought into the Chiron aspect for the bow because it seemed cool.

My man, the Chiron aspect is dumb as heck.

I have three consecutive clears now with escalating heat in what I'd call "early" game (I only had enough Titan blood to upgrade Chiron a couple times, I haven't figured out what diamonds are even used for nor ambrosia, there's a person of note I've literally never encountered, etc.) because Chiron aspect is so nuts. Dionysus poison or Ares doom or Artemis crit are all incredibly good to throw on this bitch, particularly the new special, although I've noticed I lean on Athena dash whenever I can possibly do so (reflect on dash, hell yeah)

The two weapons I've had the most success with otherwise are the base shield and base spear; I haven't really messed with the gun at all and I actually kinda hate the sword, but if the only goal is to clear a run it's pretty easy to run Chiron aspected Coronacht and then just abuse your way to victory