Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Rewatching the Plinkett reviews bc I'm at a loose end and it always made me laugh that his script doctor suggestion for fixing episode 3 was "make it so the republic is invaded from outside by evil clone monsters"

A great example of the fundamental stupidity of those videos. Talk about missing the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Why does Disney hate Luke's green lightsaber?
Why invent Leia's lightsaber when she could've used Luke's instead! It even makes more narrative sense because then Palpatine would've died to the combined saber of father and son held by his granddaughter.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Why does Disney hate Luke's green lightsaber?
Why invent Leia's lightsaber when she could've used Luke's instead! It even makes more narrative sense because then Palpatine would've died to the combined saber of father and son held by his granddaughter.

Not as iconic. Thats it.

Remember in that very film shes haunted by the evil done by the weapon shes holding and its not in reference to the lightsaber she keeps using

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
good guys use blue, bad guys use red

it'll come out that the head of disney hates return of the jedi at some point

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Barudak posted:

Not as iconic. Thats it.

Remember in that very film shes haunted by the evil done by the weapon shes holding and its not in reference to the lightsaber she keeps using

Maybe it's me, but when someone says Luke Skywalker. I think guy in black suit holding a green lightsaber.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's "Skywalker saga" logic where the saber has been made into what ties the three trilogies together.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Honestly I'm surprised her arena combat suit is not at iconic as Leia's metal bikini.

It is less horny and more normal.

Also 80s Carrie Fisher was lit.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Pollyanna posted:

The mom joke is dumb but nowhere near as bad as they fly now.

The problem with the your mom joke is that it's not even a joke. this is the line:

"Tell him Leia has an urgent message for him... about his mother."

When I first heard this line, it didn't even register as a joke... I thought that I'd forgotten about some sort of "Hux's mother" reveal in TFA, like she was a first order general or something

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s kinda dryly delivered, but it’s definitely meant to be a dig at Hux.

Actually, you’re right, I don’t think it’s supposed to be a joke. It’s just Poe taunting and giving Hux poo poo. Now that I think about it, it’s not really a laugh spot at all, so I care about it even less. It’s like a one-liner.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Isn't there something in the book tie-ins about Hux's mom being significant? The joke is definitely meant to be more than just random humor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They probably just figured that making jokes would better express Poe's "cocksure crack pilot" personality than him pretending to want to negotiate surrender terms or something. I kind of laughed at "OK, I'll hold" the first time I watched

I don't care for the prank call, but I do like that it bookends the end of the movie where Luke distracts Kylo by making a "prank call" through the Force, including a line about Kylo's father

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
is your hyperspace drive running? YOU'D BETTER GO CATCH IT!

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Who is Snoke supposed to have been a clone of? Is it a poorly grown and rushed version Palpatine? Random Sith mook #6731? Grown from the Force like Anakin but without a human mother?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
but isn't it more interesting to fill in those answers with your imagination

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Not to always harp on the TLJ succzone thing, but the hux mom joke has powerful drumpf energy

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Barudak posted:

I just realized with this being "High Republic" era disney will be unable to resist including Darth Plageis or the inventor of X-wings

Didn't the article mention the "High Republic" era being something like 400 years? How will Disney retcon Darth Plagueis being Palpatine's master? "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They don't give a poo poo :ssh:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

feedmyleg posted:

They don't give a poo poo :ssh:

:hmmyes:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

No Mods No Masters posted:

Not to always harp on the TLJ succzone thing, but the hux mom joke has powerful drumpf energy
The "general hugs" thing is sheer MCU snark, I can hear Robert Downey Jr saying it, and see the camera all zoomed in on his face surrounded by the suit's holographic UI. Doctor Strange is in the background tutting, saying "you are prank calling a force you cannot comprehend" and Bruce Banner is squinting at him saying "your real name is Doctor Strange?" I'm looking away from the screen and around the room trying to identify the closest exit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In which the writer of RoS either wildly or willfully misunderstands the core moment of The Last Jedi:

Chris Terrio posted:

“We debated and debated what the crawl would say, and we wanted to have the word ‘revenge’ in the crawl, a message of revenge in the voice of the late Galactic Emperor Palpatine. We also wanted that line, ‘The dead speak.’ … You might be able to say ‘kill the past,’ and that might be genuinely what Kylo Ren is trying to do in ‘Episode 8’ and even at the beginning of ‘Episode 9,’ but the past isn’t done with him yet. The character might be mentally ready to be done with it, [but] there’s the voice of the past, literally, the emperor saying, ‘Not so fast, my boy. History has its eye on you.’ History remembers what happened, and the Sith should not go quietly into the night.”

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You hate to see a golden boy like our beloved chris t. carrying water for capital like this. Alas but aren't we all forced to demean ourselves before it

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
maybe he’s hoping he’ll never be asked to write another comic book movie ever again

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Mat Cauthon posted:

Isn't there something in the book tie-ins about Hux's mom being significant? The joke is definitely meant to be more than just random humor.

Yes, hes a bastard son of an Imperial who helped start the FO and had an affair with a "kitchen woman"

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The only more fitting thing than Poe calling Hux Hugs is if later in the movie Kylo called him General Sux.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Mat Cauthon posted:

As a TLJ lover i can safely say it was not meant to be more than random humor. Poe is introduced to us wise cracking to Kylo Rens face in TFA, "So who talks first, you talk first or I talk first? I can understand you on account of all the apparatus"

He is just being flip and silly to General Hux. Honestly irreverent, dashing Poe is a good character. I like when he shows up in Resistance tv show and just flaunts military orders and acts like a dick to the first order.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hobo Clown posted:

Who is Snoke supposed to have been a clone of? Is it a poorly grown and rushed version Palpatine? Random Sith mook #6731? Grown from the Force like Anakin but without a human mother?

So this leads us to the next thing:

Third Question: What The gently caress Is Even Going On?

One thing I like to point out is that there never was an "OT", until after Return Of The Jedi. The first three Star Wars films became a trilogy retroactively, because it was never really certain how many films it would take to complete the story. There were plans for multiple Empire Strikes Back sequels, which were then condensed down into Episode 6 (with mixed results). The prequels were the first time that Star Wars films were ever actually planned out as a trilogy, with a definitive ending in mind. So, in a sense, we would not have an "OT" without the prequels' structural role. They cemented things: Lucas' Star Wars is now, definitively, two trilogies that complement eachother.

Now, Disney's approach with the sequels is a sort of worst-of-both-worlds approach. We have the slipshod, improvisational nature of the OT combined with the absolute certainty that this WILL be a trilogy. 'We cannot fail, we won't lose money. We can just churn out anything, with the promise that it'll eventually work.' It's not just Disney that bought into this silliness; Snoke appeared onscreen and fans said "it's going to be great when they finally make a movie about who Snoke is" - oblivious to the fact that TFA is the movie about who Snoke is.

"It's going to be great when they finally make a movie about what happened to the New Republic". TFA is that movie. The New Republic sucked and got blown up.

"It's going to be great when they finally make a movie about what Rey's parents did." TFA is that movie. Rey's parents dumped her on Tatooine because they were dumbasses.

"It's going to be great when they finally make a movie about what happened to Luke". TFA is that movie too. Luke's temple sucked and got blown up. Luke slinked away as a loser.

And Episode 8 simply repeats the above. There's nothing actually subversive in it, which is why it's so redundant. Yet, fans still believed in the power of the franchise over individual films. It'll all eventually work. Episode 9 will fix everything... right?

Nope. Episode 9 also repeats the above. The parents are still dumbasses, and Luke is still a loser. (Were fans really expecting a really good and sensible reason to sell a six-year-old girl into slavery to a feudal lord?) So, getting back to the point: giving Snoke an origin could never 'fix' anything. It had the potential to affect how we interpret the story of TFA, but it could never actually change the story of TFA. Like, so what if Snoke's grown in a vat? That doesn't actually mean anything. Instead of being a quasi-Stalinist 'Evil Pope' figure, Snoke is now a quasi-Stalinist 'Evil Pope' figure who came from a vat. Wow.

Who is Snoke a clone of? Nobody. We're shown in the film that he was built from scratch, and emerged from the vat fully grown. But, even if he were a clone of someone specific, this still wouldn't change the character. He would still be Snoke, the quasi-Stalinist 'Evil Pope' figure who came from a vat. So the ST was always about one thing: a not-very-timely critique of the Soviet Union. Horseshoe theory with Hux. A literal Red Dawn in TFA.

Episode 9 changes absolutely nothing about the previous films. It just moves away from them, by finally introducing something interesting: Rey's realization that she is a bad guy. The true big reveal is that she always knew this, but could never admit it to anyone. She's reluctant to participate in battles because she knows inside that the Republic is fascist. She knows that Resistance are Contras, and the fact that she loves killing scares her.

All the stuff about her parents and lineage is nonsensical dross, but easily tuned out. Palpatine is not Rey's grandfather except in a metaphorical sense. He's the guy who killed Rey's parents and thereby created her. (It's a reference to Conan The Barbarian.) The dagger that killed them is the source of Rey's power, and her passport to Hell.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 6, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I love you SMG

quote:

"It's going to be great when they finally make a movie about what happened to Luke". TFA is that movie too. Luke's temple sucked and got blown up. Luke slinked away as a loser.

This part in particular I like, because I can never get why people are so mad that Luke shows up bitter and defeated, when JJ Abrams set up that some horrible event happened that sent him into hiding and isolation. Why would you expect him to be the old Luke if you know that he slunk away like a old dog to die. The mystery box is the stupidest way to write stories.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 6, 2020

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

feedmyleg posted:

but isn't it more interesting to fill in those answers with your imagination

Palpatine took a really satisfying poo poo, looked at the results and said, "Yes, that will be my new minion..."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Little Death posted:

I love you SMG

This part in particular I like, because I can never get why people are so mad that Luke shows up bitter and defeated, when JJ Abrams set up that some horrible event happened that sent him into hiding and isolation. Why would you expect him to be the old Luke if you know that he slunk away like a old dog to die. The mystery box is the stupidest way to write stories.

I think the specific reasons behind it was what bugged people, I've read a lot of "they made Luke into a child murderer!" People probably assumed Luke was blameless and was hiding out on the island planet because he was scared of the villains or something

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

teagone posted:

I spent my Friday night photoshopping what "Punished Solo" might look like because I'm a turbonerd. That "wandering ronin" type a goon mentioned influenced the concept.

This is cool, but here's what I envision (he loses an arm in the version where he survives)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Random crap:

Battlefront 2 has a scene where you play Han Solo. You're trying to meet an Imperial informant at Maz's bar. You beg Maz to identify the informant, and she eventually agrees. She admits she doesn't know the guy, and suggests you ask around the bar, which you would have done anyway before the cut-scene interrupted you.

Maz is the most worthless character in Star Wars.

The Little Death posted:

Kylo is not a consistent character, because Rian tried to actually give him a character arc instead of what JJ was doing. I mean, if you think about what Kylo was saying in TFA, he was essentially a Darth Vader cosplayer, the equivalent of becoming an Anime Nazi because your grandfather was Goebbels.
Well, no. That's silly "Rey is a Star Wars fangirl" logic. Kylo Ren's grandfather was a knightly crusader, ex-Jedi, and top leader in a fascist government. So is Kylo Ren. He's less of a "cosplayer" than, say, Alessandra Mussolini.

istewart posted:

I've always felt like Kylo Ren in TFA was a focus-grouped villain meant to appeal to Disney's target families... he's an over-privileged suburban white kid who's throwing a temper tantrum because he didn't get the toy or video game that he wanted. (How do I know? I used to be just that kind of kid!) Much more relatable, and much less intimidating (and potentially nightmare-inducing) than imposing figures like Darth Vader or Darth Maul.
I think you have it backwards. Kylo Ren is a fascist and a member of a knightly order, imitating his grandfather. It's the fandom that looks at this character and "decodes" him as an angry white boy, a manchild who hates his parents, a stalker, a Gamergater, etc. This results in a truly bizarre viewpoint where Kylo Ren is a dictator, complicit in the deaths of billions, but fans only hate him because he reminds them of a creep who messaged them on Tinder.

As far as I know, Disney didn't try to stoke a "Lady Ghostbusters" style controversy via marketing. Episode IX is all about fanservice, and it's easier to satisfy people with laser fights and cute puppets than with character moments, where it's especially hard to please as many people as possible. Encouraging a bunch of mini-fandoms that are all rabidly opposed to each other, so that you can never do more than appease one segment of your customer base, is the opposite of what Disney wants.

The Marvel brand is where Disney creates these epic political conflicts with huge stakes, then makes everything about the characters' personal relationships. If they were doing the exact same thing in Star Wars, Kylo Ren wouldn't have to die--it's totally okay to redeem Space Hitler because he became besties with Space Truman.

Unoriginal Name posted:

So the guy who gives the keynote speech at the First Order nazi rally on the day they blow up the Republic is the guy who turned spy

Clarste posted:

He has no ideals, just hate. And he hates Kylo Ren. Makes sense to me.
Hux is an orthodox fascist propagandist, a stereotype of a prim, pompous, ultimately cowardly Nazi--Joseph Goebbels or Colonel Klink. The Knights of Ren are the Wolves of Vinland, Pagan's MC, and the psycho Catholic fascists from Nazi puppet regimes. To Hux they're a pack of scruffy, dirty, low-class hippie freaks.

Hux was never comfortable with the religious aspect of Snoke's regime, and now that he's dead, Kylo Ren spends all his time on holy crusades with his smelly biker bros, going after Palpatine when he should be finishing off the Resistance. Meanwhile, Hux has been demoted to a meaningless cabinet position. He hates Kylo's guts, but not for entirely personal reasons.

Vitamin P posted:

They even had a C3PO death scene, just have him die to broadcast his translation skill over the same magic network Palpatine was using to scare people and bam, that's a good narrative, but no they had to make everything be pointless and empty instead.
After a rewatch, I gotta say, his death scene would have been incredibly cruel if it was a real death scene. Poe obviously not giving a poo poo, Frik pressing the button right as he proposes an alternative, etc.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m honestly surprised that fans aren’t absolutely furious about this. Undead Palpatine gets all the attention, because everyone loves the prequels, but the actual massive twist in ROS is that literally every conflict in Star Wars was the work of the Exogolians from planet Exogol.
Tomorrow belongs to Rey Skywalker. In the new trilogy, she will finally defeat the Judeo-Bolshevist conspiracy that keeps starting all these Star Wars.

Barudak posted:

I just realized with this being "High Republic" era disney will be unable to resist including Darth Plageis or the inventor of X-wings
I agree with the viewpoint that Plagueis is much more interesting as an occult myth than as an actual guy who bought Sheev Palpatine his first chemistry set.

Hobo Clown posted:

Probably Palpatine, but it doesn't matter. Palpatine needs a disposable, powerful pawn. There are no good candidates on Hell Planet, and he's pressed for time, anyway. The inevitable power struggle is also too much of a hassle. So he just grew a clone that's chock-full of midichlorians. The side effects are looking like an elderly burn victim, and being extra tall (to hold all the midichlorians).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

TLJ starts off with a your mom joke and one of the worst choreographed space battles in the franchise so I wouldn’t say the start is any good either. The commander of the dreadnaught sums up my feelings for the movie pretty nicely.

I think the bombing run on the dreadnought, despite its logical holes, is actually the best aerial battle of the ST because it's the only one with a clearly defined objective.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, no. That's silly "Rey is a Star Wars fangirl" logic. Kylo Ren's grandfather was a knightly crusader, ex-Jedi, and top leader in a fascist government. So is Kylo Ren. He's less of a "cosplayer" than, say, Alessandra Mussolini.

I think you have it backwards. Kylo Ren is a fascist and a member of a knightly order, imitating his grandfather. It's the fandom that looks at this character and "decodes" him as an angry white boy, a manchild who hates his parents, a stalker, a Gamergater, etc. This results in a truly bizarre viewpoint where Kylo Ren is a dictator, complicit in the deaths of billions, but fans only hate him because he reminds them of a creep who messaged them on Tinder.

Right, I'm saying that Kylo is a caricature of Darth Vader, himself originally a one note antagonist representing the opposite of Obi-wan in ANH. Kylo in TFA is not a person, he's a cardboard cutout who's motivation appears to be mimicking his grandfather (who he never knew or met) because "something" happened that drove him to it. He seems to be evil for the sake of evil, it's not even clear why he wants power, or what he is angry at. This is because JJ Abrams doesn't think in terms of realized character arcs, but thinks of characters purely in tropes, references, and cliches. Rian took that and tried to set up a theme between Kylo's obsession with his legacy, and Rey lack of legacy, to try and come up with a story to tell. TFA has no story to tell, nothing in it matters or leads anywhere.

E: To be clear, Vader becomes more interesting with subsequent movies. JJ tried to do both, have him stand in as the brute face of the first order, but also get everyone speculating about his past. Much like how each of the new protagonists (except for Rose Tico) are just thinly veiled copies of the original trio, Kylo is not a character so much as he's a bunch of trivia facts about Darth Vader with the names crossed out.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 6, 2020

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

General Dog posted:

I think the bombing run on the dreadnought, despite its logical holes, is actually the best aerial battle of the ST because it's the only one with a clearly defined objective.

wrong! The Flynow Troopers have the clear objective of selling merch.

The Little Death posted:

Right, I'm saying that Kylo is a caricature of Darth Vader, himself originally a one note antagonist representing the opposite of Obi-wan in ANH. Kylo in TFA is not a person, he's a cardboard cutout who's motivation appears to be mimicking his grandfather (who he never knew or met) because "something" happened that drove him to it. He seems to be evil for the sake of evil, it's not even clear why he wants power, or what he is angry at. This is because JJ Abrams doesn't think in terms of realized character arcs, but thinks of characters purely in tropes, references, and cliches. Rian took that and tried to set up a theme between Kylo's obsession with his legacy, and Rey lack of legacy, to try and come up with a story to tell. TFA has no story to tell, nothing in it matters or leads anywhere.

TFW your villains are less characterized than Bad Horse

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

This is cool, but here's what I envision (he loses an arm in the version where he survives)

Workin on my knight moves

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

wrong! The Flynow Troopers have the clear objective of selling merch.

*Theyflynow Trooper is not a flying toy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Little Death posted:

Even if Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope never got any sequels or prequels, Vader is not a one-note antagonist. He's at odds with the rest of the Empire as we see it. He has a trusted junior officer, but nothing but mutual acrimony with the High Command. He defers to Tarkin but is skeptical of his wunderwaffe. He serves the Emperor directly as a Lord, and still holds the mystical beliefs of the knightly order he betrayed.

I'm not a fan of Abrams, but Johnson is the one who gutted Kylo's motivation. In TFA, Kylo begs his grandfather's spirit for strength to reject "the Light" and "finish what [Vader] started." Presumably Luke told his students the truth about Vader. Kylo believes in Vader's mission to bring order to the galaxy via dictatorship. TLJ makes it personal--Kylo was very hurt by Luke, and Snoke "corrupted" him because he wasn't thinking straight.

When Luke shows up, Kylo loses his loving mind. Luke is cool and calm about this. He is the better man. Kylo's not! He's dumb and so goddamn crazy!!!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I think its really funny they didn't give any reason for why Palpatine was back - they knew whatever answer they gave would be so loving stupid they left it completely empty and let you fill in the (dumb) details

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mike N Eich posted:

I think its really funny they didn't give any reason for why Palpatine was back - they knew whatever answer they gave would be so loving stupid they left it completely empty and let you fill in the (dumb) details

Abrams does this for everything tho. He expects his audience's imagination to do all the heavy lifting of coming up with an actual story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mike RLM's fan canon was this is the real Palpatine and the one from episodes 1-6 was a clone the whole time. I'll add to that and say he was Syfo-dias