Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

HM - Ishimori/Phantasmo vs Roppongi 3K. WK14
Fun little twist on the typical BC highjinks. The BC team are fantastic even if R3K do little for me.

MotYC - ZSJ vs Sanada. WK14
I love Sabre so seeing him and Sanada do some technical bullshit was fantastic.

HM - Moxley vs Robinson. WK14
Probably too much "referee's discretion" going on here for what I thought was a normal match.

HM - KENTA vs Goto. WK14
lol Goto, match would have been better if Ishii was in it.

MotYC - Jericho vs Tanahashi. WK14
"my dad is a heel wrestler" vs "my dad drank too much boxed wine again". Some terrible looking punches from Tanahashi but otherwise a solid match.

MotYC - Okada vs Naito. WK14
Oh god my loving knee hurts just watching. The correct person won.

An incredible event as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Queer Salutations posted:

match would have been better if Ishii was in it.

Statement is always correct no matter the match being discussed.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Gaz-L posted:

Statement is always correct no matter the match being discussed.

Gedo, put Ishii in every match on the WK15 card you coward.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Queer Salutations posted:

HM - Ishimori/Phantasmo vs Roppongi 3K. WK14
Fun little twist on the typical BC highjinks. The BC team are fantastic even if R3K do little for me.

MotYC - ZSJ vs Sanada. WK14
I love Sabre so seeing him and Sanada do some technical bullshit was fantastic.

HM - Moxley vs Robinson. WK14
Probably too much "referee's discretion" going on here for what I thought was a normal match.

HM - KENTA vs Goto. WK14
lol Goto, match would have been better if Ishii was in it.

MotYC - Jericho vs Tanahashi. WK14
"my dad is a heel wrestler" vs "my dad drank too much boxed wine again". Some terrible looking punches from Tanahashi but otherwise a solid match.

MotYC - Okada vs Naito. WK14
Oh god my loving knee hurts just watching. The correct person won.

An incredible event as always.

NTH

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm still holding off on watching WK Day 2 because of the technical issues earlier and not wanting to get invested right before I should go to bed. HOWEVER, if you aren't familiar with Naoki Sano outside of this weekend, I'd strongly suggest you watch his and Liger's WON Match of the Year from January 31, 1990. I gave it ****3/4, which is what I gave Ospreay-Okada from New Japan Cup, Suzuki-Barnett from Bloodsport, Barbaro-Mistoc from CMLL, and Jake Lee-Miyahara from All Japan's Royal Road, amongst others.

You can check it out on New Japan World at https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00089_2_1.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

Trying to see all the good pro wrestling matches is a fool's errand unless you do it as your job like Meltzer. And even Dave can't watch it all. Don't feel too bad about it

Big Dave can't watch enough because his job requires him to sit through all of WWE's mind numbing bullshit. Cutting that out helps

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

frankenfreak posted:

Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 2 1/5:
HM: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. SANADA
HM: Jay White vs. Kota Ibushi
HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Chris Jericho
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito

Going with all of these.

Punch McLightning posted:

I'm still holding off on watching WK Day 2 because of the technical issues earlier and not wanting to get invested right before I should go to bed.

The issues have been fixed.

e:
I forgot about

Schneider Heim posted:

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 Day 2
HM: Jyushin Thunder Liger & Naoki Sano vs Hiromu Takahashi & Ryu Lee

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 6, 2020

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 Day 1
HM: Liger Retirement Match 1
HM: GoD vs FinJuice
MOTYC: Lance Archer vs Jon Moxley
MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs Hiromu Takahashi
MOTYC: Jay White vs Tetsuya Naito
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs Kota Ibushi

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 Day 2
HM: Jyushin Thunder Liger & Naoki Sano vs Hiromu Takahashi & Ryu Lee
HM: NEVER Openweight Trios Gauntlet Match
HM: El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori vs SHO & YOH
HM: Zack Sabre Jr. vs SANADA
HM: KENTA vs Hirooki Goto
HM: Jon Moxley vs Juice Robinson (don't miss the post-match on this one)
HM: Kota Ibushi vs Jay White
MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Chris Jericho
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito (don't miss the post-match on this one either!!)
MOTYC: KENTA vs Naitailures

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 Day 1

HM: Liger Retirement Match 1
HM: GoD vs FinJuice
HM: Lance Archer vs Jon Moxley

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs Hiromu Takahashi
MOTYC: Jay White vs Tetsuya Naito
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs Kota Ibushi (what an incredible match. Ibushi going full sicko mode was expected but not too THAT level, jfc)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: AXIZ (Go Shiozaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima) (c) vs. Naomichi Marufuji & Masaaki Mochizuki for the GHC Tag Team Championship - NOAH Reboot (1/5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a-MMgyyQY0

Pretty sure that NOAH are doing tag team wrestling better than anyone out there right now. Note: this match happened after the Go Shiozaki vs. Kaito Kiyomiya match for the GHC title on 1/4 so if you're trying to avoid spoilers for that, don't watch this.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: AXIZ (Go Shiozaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima) (c) vs. Naomichi Marufuji & Masaaki Mochizuki for the GHC Tag Team Championship - NOAH Reboot (1/5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a-MMgyyQY0

Pretty sure that NOAH are doing tag team wrestling better than anyone out there right now. Note: this match happened after the Go Shiozaki vs. Kaito Kiyomiya match for the GHC title on 1/4 so if you're trying to avoid spoilers for that, don't watch this.

Big time 2nd. Easily the best tag match from "Wrestle Kingdom Week" if you will imo. Everyone in this match are incredible by themselves and as two teams, just :kiss:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HM: Hirooki Goto & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Shingo Takagi & EVIL - NJPW New Year Dash 1/6

BEEF BEEF BEEF FROM THE BEGINNING TO THE BITTER END ALL BEEF ALL THE TIME SO MUCH loving BEEF!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
HM: EVIL & Shingo Takagi vs. Tomohiro Ishii & Hirooki Goto - NJPW New Year Dash!!, 1/6

That match was -- beefy.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MOTYC: EVIL and Shingo vs Ishii and Goto, NJPW New Year’s Dash, 6th January
So Much Beef

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Hirooki Goto & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Shingo Takagi & EVIL - NJPW New Year Dash 1/6

BEEF BEEF BEEF FROM THE BEGINNING TO THE BITTER END ALL BEEF ALL THE TIME SO MUCH loving BEEF!

nth the beef.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Screw you guys I'm going MOTYC

MOTYC: EVIL/Shingo vs. Ishii/Goto, NJPW New Year's Dash, 06/01

loving ridiculous amount of BEEF

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

Beef Beef BEEF BEEF BEEF

BEEF

(That's an nth if you can't understand)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

So Much Beef

Yea, this is MOTYC for sure. Definitely one of the best matches in its style that I've seen.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Seconded, that's big ballin'

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rarity posted:

Nth

I was thinking HM but what can I say I like BEEF.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Rarity posted:

Nth for the BEEF BUFFET

Animal Crackers
Jun 11, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Nth. All of the BEEF.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there a spreadsheet for the 2019 list? Would love to see what was the most votes for WMOTY (I assume it was HIAC)

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

Yes!

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013
MotYC: EVIL/Shingo vs Ishii/Goto, NJPW New Year's Dash, 01/06

This match brought to you by the Kobe Beef Association.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Rarity posted:

I'll say what I said in the WK thread: I want these four guys to do nothing but chop and forearm and lariat and crash into each other for the entirety of 2020. Thankfully early signs are looking good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OK friends, Wrestle Kingdom is done. There is no wrestling until Friday so take this chance to watch one of the matches of the year so far, Kento Miyahara vs Jake Lee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XUM1bqZjfo

If you need an intro, okay. Kento Miyahara is the Triple Crown Champion. He won it in October 2018 & this is his 8th defence. He's the ace of All Japan, he's charismatic and an amazing wrestler and he can be a cocky prick sometimes but the fans love him. He's also just 30 years old & in his 4th reign with that belt. Jake Lee is the same age & initially debuted for AJPW in 2011, but he got hurt & ended up going into MMA after just 10 matches. He returned in 2015 so he's not as experienced as you'd expect. As time has gone on a lot of hope was placed on the shoulders of Lee as the future, and he can be an extremely good wrestler but a major thing holding him back is his fire, or rather his lack of it. But in 2019 they faced in the Champion Carnival finals, 1 night after Lee had to win a block match with Joe Doering & then a block decider with Naoya Nomura. Kento won but it was a breakout moment for Lee, just getting to the finals and then going 27+ minutes with the Best of the Best. After that they rematched in the finals of the Royal Road (AJPW's New Japan Cup equivalent) in early autumn, this time Lee got the win but it was flat. Lee just went back to lacking the necessary fire to be convincing. But he won so he got a title shot in October, this was almost as good as the Carnival, Lee held up his end and it felt like a fight.

So why is Lee facing Kento again? Well the real reason is despite undercards getting more fun, the Junior Division looking healthier than a while, the top of the card is thin. But the kayfabe reason is that on the final night of the Real World Tag League Lee & Nomura beat Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi with Lee pinning Miyahara. It was a great match & one of the best tag matches I've seen outside of NOAH or Dragon Gate in 2019. Of course they then lost the finals to Violent Giants which is a big loving "WHY?" but that's not so important. Lee pinned the champ and gets rewarded with a title shot at the 2nd AJPW show of the year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

There is no wrestling until Friday

the best show of the week is on tonight my friend

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Rarity posted:

yeah nth. for the love of god everyone watch this match

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Rarity posted:

nth

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Wrestle Kingdom night 2:

HM: Jushin Liger & Naoki Sano vs. Hiromu Takahashi & Ryu Lee
HM: SHO & YOH vs. El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori (c), IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team
HM: SANADA vs. Zack Sabre Jr. (c), RevPro Undisputed British
HM: Juice Robinson vs. Jon Moxley (c), IWGP United States
MOTYC: Hirooki Goto vs. KENTA (c), NEVER Openweight

Gonna have to finish the rest of the card later.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rarity posted:

OH MY GOD NTH

I have never screamed at a match like that. The four-way lariat spot :aaaaa:

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

nthing the beefy boys beef battle bowl. Goddamn I love me some beef.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

So Much Beef

Yeah agreed

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Not going to bother with throwing more HMs and MOTYCs to WK matches, so I'm just going to nominate Finnish matches no one will see.

FCF Jatkosota, January 5th
HM: Shemeikka vs Jami Aalto
HM: Stark Adder(c) vs Vili Raato vs Jessica Love - Frank Andersson Nordic Wrestling Championship

Both were short and sweet but packed with action. Aalto/Shemeikka was extremely fun cruiserweight match. The three way barely got any time (six bloody minutes, com on) but filled those minutes with intensity. Love is just murder and I'm hoping she stays around for most of the year,

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FCF sometimes does have some issues with matches being given way too little time. I guess the Ioni vs Vallu match was nothing special, then?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

OK friends, Wrestle Kingdom is done. There is no wrestling until Friday so take this chance to watch one of the matches of the year so far, Kento Miyahara vs Jake Lee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XUM1bqZjfo

If you need an intro, okay. Kento Miyahara is the Triple Crown Champion. He won it in October 2018 & this is his 8th defence. He's the ace of All Japan, he's charismatic and an amazing wrestler and he can be a cocky prick sometimes but the fans love him. He's also just 30 years old & in his 4th reign with that belt. Jake Lee is the same age & initially debuted for AJPW in 2011, but he got hurt & ended up going into MMA after just 10 matches. He returned in 2015 so he's not as experienced as you'd expect. As time has gone on a lot of hope was placed on the shoulders of Lee as the future, and he can be an extremely good wrestler but a major thing holding him back is his fire, or rather his lack of it. But in 2019 they faced in the Champion Carnival finals, 1 night after Lee had to win a block match with Joe Doering & then a block decider with Naoya Nomura. Kento won but it was a breakout moment for Lee, just getting to the finals and then going 27+ minutes with the Best of the Best. After that they rematched in the finals of the Royal Road (AJPW's New Japan Cup equivalent) in early autumn, this time Lee got the win but it was flat. Lee just went back to lacking the necessary fire to be convincing. But he won so he got a title shot in October, this was almost as good as the Carnival, Lee held up his end and it felt like a fight.

So why is Lee facing Kento again? Well the real reason is despite undercards getting more fun, the Junior Division looking healthier than a while, the top of the card is thin. But the kayfabe reason is that on the final night of the Real World Tag League Lee & Nomura beat Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi with Lee pinning Miyahara. It was a great match & one of the best tag matches I've seen outside of NOAH or Dragon Gate in 2019. Of course they then lost the finals to Violent Giants which is a big loving "WHY?" but that's not so important. Lee pinned the champ and gets rewarded with a title shot at the 2nd AJPW show of the year.

I'll MOTYC this, it had a phenomenal ending streak and I'm very excited to see more Jake Lee

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BTF posted:

Not going to bother with throwing more HMs and MOTYCs to WK matches, so I'm just going to nominate Finnish matches no one will see.

FCF Jatkosota, January 5th
HM: Shemeikka vs Jami Aalto
HM: Stark Adder(c) vs Vili Raato vs Jessica Love - Frank Andersson Nordic Wrestling Championship

Both were short and sweet but packed with action. Aalto/Shemeikka was extremely fun cruiserweight match. The three way barely got any time (six bloody minutes, com on) but filled those minutes with intensity. Love is just murder and I'm hoping she stays around for most of the year,

Wait hold the gently caress on, there's pro graps here in Bog Mongolia?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Wait hold the gently caress on, there's pro graps here in Bog Mongolia?

I've told you about this multiple times dude

Edit: Well, at the very least once.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

extradite THIS! posted:

I've told you about this multiple times dude

Guess I must have been drunk or something when you did 'cause I can't recall that.