Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

El Grillo posted:

It's pretty certain that eye-tracked foveated rendering would need new GPU hardware (beyond what Turing has), right?

Nope. Tiled rendering is the enabling tech. What I want to see though is foveated rendering aided by deep learning like in that Oculus Connect presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
So wait a minute...if I downsample with steamvr and then use this Turing supersampling would that still work? Like set steam ss to 50 percent and then 2x on Nvidia control panel would give me a periphery of 50 percent and everything else at native res?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Stick100 posted:

Rumors are AMD supposedly has a very good product coming very soon.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 7, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Pimax has unveiled another headset. This one is the "Artisan" and is targeted towards more average consumers;

quote:

The Artisan headset itself is said to reduce costs by including less expensive RGB stripe LCD panels, which features dual 1,600 × 1,440 displays clocked at 120Hz refresh, and a diagonal 140 degree horizontal (170 diagonal) field of view.

There's two models; One that's just a basic headset, which doesn't even have their deluxe audio strap iteration, and a full package with newly-developed controllers and deluxe audio strap... that uses NOLO tracking off a single base-station. Both models have SteamVR tracking as well, but they seem to have decided this would be cheaper as their main tracking method.

Someone at Valve really needs to develop an open inside-out tracking standard.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Them moving to NOLO is hilarious. I've said it before but this is as good a time to beat a dead horse as any - Lighthouse tracking cannot be made cheap in it's current form, and has no long term legs as a result. As a tech it's well engineered, but it's better suited for things like dedicated LBEs where its benefits outweigh the cost in a business environment that views the hw as an relatively fixed cost investment and not a consumer good for home use.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Delta-Wye posted:

Them moving to NOLO is hilarious. I've said it before but this is as good a time to beat a dead horse as any - Lighthouse tracking cannot be made cheap in it's current form, and has no long term legs as a result. As a tech it's well engineered, but it's better suited for things like dedicated LBEs where its benefits outweigh the cost in a business environment that views the hw as an relatively fixed cost investment and not a consumer good for home use.

That's like saying nobody should have a home desktop when they can buy laptops cheaper. It's more expensive, but it's got far a far longer lifespan because it's made of interchangeable compatible parts. The Lighthouse 2.0's are supposedly way cheaper to manufacture than the originals, they just didn't lower the consumer price.

It's also the only VR system that actually does have long-term legs right now, considering we're up to no less than three brands of compatible headsets, and developers are starting to dip their toes in with user-interface tools like the Logitech Ink. Any time you see a VR prototype for a new controller or something, it's got a Tracker puck stuck on it.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 7, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I got my Oculus Link today and it's a nice cable, definitely more flexible than the Anker and the added clip is nice but the price, lol.

Alo I see that the Hand Tracking is available on the Quest now? God drat, it's super janky but I'm stoked to see how this thing evolves and I hope it can become and alternative to standard controllers because some games I'd like to have free hands instead of gripping controllers.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Got my oculus link cable today. And no way to plug it into the USB port on my desktop (no USB C port).

The adapter is on the way though. I'm going to try boneworks seated (with my 8 foot cable) today (because I can't wait to play it).

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Got my oculus link cable today. And no way to plug it into the USB port on my desktop (no USB C port).

The adapter is on the way though. I'm going to try boneworks seated (with my 8 foot cable) today (because I can't wait to play it).

Why did you spend money on a link cable you can’t use and an adapter that may not work instead of a USB-A to USB-C cable at a fraction of the cost?

The official Link cable is compelling because a USB-C port should be up to spec to run it but a random-rear end USB3 port may not be.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Why did you spend money on a link cable you can’t use and an adapter that may not work instead of a USB-A to USB-C cable at a fraction of the cost?

The official Link cable is compelling because a USB-C port should be up to spec to run it but a random-rear end USB3 port may not be.

I literally did not know this stuff. I might just go ahead and upgrade my PC.

Anyway, played boneworks tonight, it was pretty cool.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 7, 2020

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's like saying nobody should have a home desktop when they can buy laptops cheaper. It's more expensive, but it's got far a far longer lifespan because it's made of interchangeable compatible parts. The Lighthouse 2.0's are supposedly way cheaper to manufacture than the originals, they just didn't lower the consumer price.

It's also the only VR system that actually does have long-term legs right now, considering we're up to no less than three brands of compatible headsets, and developers are starting to dip their toes in with user-interface tools like the Logitech Ink. Any time you see a VR prototype for a new controller or something, it's got a Tracker puck stuck on it.

It's like telling somebody without some crazy corner case to justify it that buying a CRT in TYOOL 2019 is a reasonable choice. Tethered vs standalone is a better fit for desktop vs laptop, imho, plus it dovetails nicely with my example because either way, you're using an LCD.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Delta-Wye posted:

It's like telling somebody without some crazy corner case to justify it that buying a CRT in TYOOL 2019 is a reasonable choice. Tethered vs standalone is a better fit for desktop vs laptop, imho, plus it dovetails nicely with my example because either way, you're using an LCD.

Not really. It's an open platform that lets developers just make A Thing (HMD/controller/peripheral, take your pick) to slot into it for users to enjoy without any other overhead to account for. There is nothing else like it at the moment. All you can ever get out of an inside-out tracking is a paired set of controllers and the respective headset due to their own idiosyncratic standards, which is why it's a perfect comparison to a laptop. With a lighthouse setup, there's a lot more room to mix and match standardized parts from multiple manufacturers.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
"platform" and "open" are heavily overloaded words. In your mind, between the spec, tools, runtime, and SDK, which parts are open, and in what sense are they open?

If you're just talking about *hardware* - "anyone can make a lighthouse" - then that's kind of meaningless.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Stick100 posted:

Rumors are AMD supposedly has a very good product coming very soon.

This has already existed for a while, it's called 5700 or 5700xt depending on your price range and it performs better than anything nvidia has in the same price brackets. :shrug:

e: the only correct "open" is opensource. GPL or :frogout: IMO

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm reaching to a conclusion in Eleven Table Tennis, and it's that I may need to watch some actual RL youtube videos about how to do the shots. My backhand shots in particular are awful, I always return it as a high slow ball.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

"platform" and "open" are heavily overloaded words. In your mind, between the spec, tools, runtime, and SDK, which parts are open, and in what sense are they open?

If you're just talking about *hardware* - "anyone can make a lighthouse" - then that's kind of meaningless.

I don't think it's "anyone can make lighthouses" it's "people can build devices that use lighthouses", like the Logitech VR pen/brush, the vive trackers, and things like these haptic controllers that use the lighthouses

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What's a really good standout VR singleplayer experience? Some sort of RPG would be great. Skyrim VR is really neat and I modded it up but I realized I just can't sit there with the headset on 100+ hours again.

Also are there any decent tower defense like games? Elven Assassin is fun but I'm looking for something where I'm less active and more directing things.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Vanishing realms is very old now by VR standards, but still quite good IMO. 2nd chapter is kinda eh since it's just some combat arena tournament, but otherwise it's proper dungeon crawling.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Welp, I impaled my finger on my fans glass light guards. Second time I've injured myself on that fan. It needs to go.

On a good note, boxvr is really good. My wings and thighs are somewhat sore from the 30 minute daily. It has that impact that I felt was lacking from beatsaber.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Truga posted:

This has already existed for a while, it's called 5700 or 5700xt depending on your price range and it performs better than anything nvidia has in the same price brackets. :shrug:

e: the only correct "open" is opensource. GPL or :frogout: IMO

Yes AMD has been unable to challenge the top for a while.

The rumor is a 2080/2080ti style card in a bit. Without pricing it doesn't matter, and NVidea has supposedly the 2080Ti Super in the wings to retake the throne in 15 minutes if needed, and the next die shrink right around the corner.

The main problem AMD had for the last few years was tethering themselves to HBM memory and power consumption, they are off of that and on GDDR6 but still have power issues. Personally I'm sticking with NVidea but I think we might see some moves with NVidea having to come down in price throughout 2020/2021.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-navi-21-gpu-2x-performance-5700-xt-die-size-rumor/

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

The rumor is a 2080/2080ti style card in a bit. Without pricing it doesn't matter, and NVidea has supposedly the 2080Ti Super in the wings to retake the throne in 15 minutes if needed, and the next die shrink right around the corner.

The main problem AMD had for the last few years was tethering themselves to HBM memory and power consumption, they are off of that and on GDDR6 but still have power issues. Personally I'm sticking with NVidea but I think we might see some moves with NVidea having to come down in price throughout 2020/2021.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-navi-21-gpu-2x-performance-5700-xt-die-size-rumor/

You couldn’t pay me to swap amd. Hell the most recent drivers brick pistol whip. Lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I hope amd does something if for no other reason than driving down nvidia pricing

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

USB is such a loving mess these days

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jenny Agutter posted:

USB is such a loving mess these days

Its actually finally getting good? Usb-c rules and is quickly becoming the standard for everything.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zaphod42 posted:

Its actually finally getting good? Usb-c rules and is quickly becoming the standard for everything.

Oh you sweet summer child

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I love the port that has negotiation protocols so complicated that it occasionally results in houses burning down

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

USB-C is just a connector. Do you mean USB-C with Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3 electrical signaling? Or is it USB4 (they removed the space) - and is it USB4 with Thunderbolt compatibility or USB4 without it?

Also, is your cable USB 3? Is it actually 3.1? If so, is it 3.1 Gen 1, or 3.1 Gen 2, which are actually the same generation but rebranded SuperSpeed and SuperSpeed+?

Or maybe it's USB 3.2 - but is it USB 3.2 Gen 1x1, Gen 1x2, Gen 2x1, or Gen 2x2? BTW USB 3.1 Gen 2 is compatible with 2x1, not 1x2, but both are 10Gbit/s. But for some reason despite both being 10Gbit/s one is 1.0GB/s and the other is 1.2GB/s, and also one of them supports non USB-C connectors at the rated speed while the other doesn't.

Oh, and does the cable support USB-PD for power delivery? Does the charger have a literal computer in it to negotiate correct and safe power settings?

Also, do you have a hub? You can't have Thunderbolt 3 hubs because those aren't supported, which is why you never see them split. Also, what does your motherboard support? Does it skimp on USB-C connectors because you sacrifice at least two normal USB 3 USB-A ports for each USB 3 USB-C port?

Oh and by the way, what about USB-OTG? Also, if you use an unsanctioned USB-A to USB-C adapter, will your computer literally burst into flames (or just not charge) because that has undefined behavior and either your charger with its literal CPU in it refused to deliver any wattage or your simple el cheapo charger delivered far too much?

USB is a loving mess. USB-C is literally just a port spec. USB 2 USB-C is unheard of on motherboards because that's a total waste, so it tends to be a decent enough USB 3 port because it kind of has to be to be worth putting on the motherboard, whereas USB-A ports often have trash controllers that work well enough for most things.

Stick100 posted:

(snip)

There's also the fact that nVidia deploys engineers with special source access to Windows, Intel, and their own stack, and hacks in driver customizations on a per-game basis (usually just for AAA) in order to get performance edges. Ever wonder why nVidia seems to come out with new drivers that advertise only updates to specific games? That's because in some cases the driver is _literally_ patching game code, if not loving deeply with the graphics driver, in order to squeeze performance out.

It's also one of the reasons that Windows tends to be the best desktop game OS. Though with the trend towards Vulkan/Metal giving more direct access to the hardware, I imagine that performance gap that thick driver stacks have caused is narrowing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I switched all my devices to USB-C starting Nov 2017 with no issues. My work and personal laptops use Thunderbolt 3 and plug into the Thunderbolt 3 dock for power/data, everything else just uses USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 over USB-C connector. USB-C in 2016 was a bit sketch because of bad cables and charger incompatibility. Everyone has bad cable detection now, plus 99% of name brand chargers now support USB-PD

It's easy:

Is it a pro/business class laptop with a thundebolt 3 port?
Did you explicily buy your device with thundebolt 3 support for a reason?
YES -> This is a thunderbolt 3 port

Did your device cost less than $100
YES -> This is a USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 device

In theory TB3 vs "regular" USB 3.x over USB-C is really confusing but in reality you have to go out of your way to find/buy a TB3 device, and they cost a lot, as do the cables

Also, USB4 is coming out which has backwards compatibility with TB3 (in some cases), it is essentially TB3 but gives a 20GBPS baseline for all devices by default, 40GBPS for premium devices. Again, you'll know if it has 40GBPS because the average consumer isn't going to need anything faster than USB2 speeds anyways so you'll pay extra for the 40GBPS support.

The most glorious part of USB-C is the USB-PD spec, which allows all devices to be charged by any USB-PD compliant charger, thus ending the tyrrany of different charger connectors for mobile devices, phones, tablets, laptops

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

USB is a loving mess. USB-C is literally just a port spec. USB 2 USB-C is unheard of on motherboards because that's a total waste, so it tends to be a decent enough USB 3 port because it kind of has to be to be worth putting on the motherboard, whereas USB-A ports often have trash controllers that work well enough for most things.

Annoyingly USB 2 USB-C Cables are way too loving common though :argh:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

blunt posted:

Annoyingly USB 2 USB-C Cables are way too loving common though :argh:

What the gently caress is with this poo poo? poo poo should be illegal.

Soooo sick of grabbing a cable from somewhere only to realize its USB 2.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

What the gently caress is with this poo poo? poo poo should be illegal.

Soooo sick of grabbing a cable from somewhere only to realize its USB 2.

I think the included usb-c cable in the Quest is USB 2. At least it can't be used for link, and if it was proper usb3, it should work, right?

Speaking of Quest, something I don't like it's how it doesn't have any kind of quick-charging system. It's almost 2/3 slower in charging that my smartphone, I would say.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

The Gunslinger posted:

What's a really good standout VR singleplayer experience? Some sort of RPG would be great. Skyrim VR is really neat and I modded it up but I realized I just can't sit there with the headset on 100+ hours again.

Also are there any decent tower defense like games? Elven Assassin is fun but I'm looking for something where I'm less active and more directing things.
Check my post at top of pg 3 of this thread if you like, it's mostly single players. The most universally acclaimed/standout single player is still Lone Echo, though that's not an RPG. Best RPGs are Asgard's Wrath, Mage's Tale, and Chronos (don't know if Chronos is really RPG but, swords magic leveling etc).
And maybe Vanishing Realms...

Truga posted:

Vanishing realms is very old now by VR standards, but still quite good IMO. 2nd chapter is kinda eh since it's just some combat arena tournament, but otherwise it's proper dungeon crawling.
He released the second part, very recently, though there was little to no fanfare about it. I think it's DLC but if so it'll be cheap. I've only just started it so can't say how good or bad it is. The UI and interactions feel pretty ancient now but I still love the game for the first part released way back when.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

USB-C is just a connector. Do you mean USB-C with Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3 electrical signaling? Or is it USB4 (they removed the space) - and is it USB4 with Thunderbolt compatibility or USB4 without it?

Also, is your cable USB 3? Is it actually 3.1? If so, is it 3.1 Gen 1, or 3.1 Gen 2, which are actually the same generation but rebranded SuperSpeed and SuperSpeed+?

Or maybe it's USB 3.2 - but is it USB 3.2 Gen 1x1, Gen 1x2, Gen 2x1, or Gen 2x2? BTW USB 3.1 Gen 2 is compatible with 2x1, not 1x2, but both are 10Gbit/s. But for some reason despite both being 10Gbit/s one is 1.0GB/s and the other is 1.2GB/s, and also one of them supports non USB-C connectors at the rated speed while the other doesn't.

this guy USBs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just want to pop in this thread to say Boneworks owns and is probably my favorite game of 2019. Holy poo poo it owns

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
drat Index stuff has been sold out for a long while. I wonder if they're building up stock before putting it up again.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Walrus posted:

drat Index stuff has been sold out for a long while. I wonder if they're building up stock before putting it up again.

I kind of doubt it, they have to build the HMD in china and ship it over, that stuff takes a long time and comes in big batches.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

The Walrus posted:

They just shipped a batch yesterday and orders up to Dec 13th are now showing Shipping Soon.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Stick100 posted:

I kind of doubt it, they have to build the HMD in china and ship it over, that stuff takes a long time and comes in big batches.
They build it in China and it's still that loving expensive, Christ.

I thought they had a whole hardware facility they built for the steam controllers or something.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oculus Link cable is sold now on EU. It's 89€ with taxes, though. Ughh.

I think I will wait a pair of months before buying any cable, I still have some games on Quest to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I finished Boneworks last night. It was pretty good but I don't know if it's mind-blowing, every moment of virtual lucidity was countered by a design decision that would drag me right the gently caress out.

The music rules, though.