Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rutibex posted:

building an arcade cabinet is more fun than owning an arcade cabinet. and owning one you made yourself is 20x more fun than owning one you bought from wal-mart.

if i had a billion dollars i still wouldn't buy the 1-up cabinet. Its not a matter of cost. i would spend longer to learn carpentry and hand carve my own cabinet out of the finest rare woods.

If you buy a premade arcade cabinet, you cheated not only the games, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow purchase. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

If you buy a premade arcade cabinet, you cheated not only the games, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow purchase. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

:hmmyes:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dewgy posted:

I normally don't get snobby about things, but you're absolutely right. If you're crazy enough to want arcade experiences in your home, don't half-rear end it and build something worth a gently caress.

(he said, about to play his Neo Geo Classic Arcade stick)

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

All I got out of this conversation is that some of you actually want to have to stand up while you play video games and that is so foreign to me, a sentient glob of butter, that even in my wildest fantasies I can't relate

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

Why would you buy a new Toyota when you could just get a totalled Ferrari from the junkyard for the same price and rebuild it with no working knowledge of car repair?

I'll rebuild your Ferrari for you

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

building an arcade cabinet is more fun than owning an arcade cabinet. and owning one you made yourself is 20x more fun than owning one you bought from wal-mart.

if i had a billion dollars i still wouldn't buy the 1-up cabinet. Its not a matter of cost. i would spend longer to learn carpentry and hand carve my own cabinet out of the finest rare woods.

But you're not suggesting that someone should fabricate their own arcade cabinet instead of buying one, you're suggesting that they buy a lovely DIY kit that combines the worst of both worlds. There's nothing fulfilling about assembling Ikea furniture

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You know what is the most fun, not owning any kind of arcade cabinet at all because you don't collect giant hunks of worthless junk

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

But you're not suggesting that someone should fabricate their own arcade cabinet instead of buying one, you're suggesting that they buy a lovely DIY kit that combines the worst of both worlds. There's nothing fulfilling about assembling Ikea furniture

the thing i linked is a button assembly/cpu combination with video output. it doesn't have any of the actual wooden cabinet parts, you will have to go to the lumber yard and get some plywood sheets to build that yourself. you will also have to make your own decals.

if you aren't into the prefab button layout there is a version that just a box, and you can wire any buttons you want (I would go with at least 4-player for Xmen and Simpsons arcade)
https://www.amazon.com/TAPDRA-Original-Pandoras-Console-Machine/dp/B07TP6Z4NP/

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

mind the walrus posted:

I normally don't get snobby about things, but you're absolutely right. If you're crazy enough to want arcade experiences in your home, don't half-rear end it and build something worth a gently caress.

(he said, about to play his Neo Geo Classic Arcade stick)

It’s a modified quote about someone cheating their way through Sekiro, I wasn’t being entirely serious. :v:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Lol if you're not programming your own bespoke emulator software, burning it to EEPROMs that you built yourself out of hand mined silicon and then installing those on a custom-built circuit board.

If you don't do that you're really just playing yourself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oldstench posted:

Lol if you're not programming your own bespoke emulator software, burning it to EEPROMs that you built yourself out of hand mined silicon and then installing those on a custom-built circuit board.

If you don't do that you're really just playing yourself.

I pity the wretch whodn't just make their own games.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dewgy posted:

In a capitalist system, paying someone to build something is the same as, if not better then, doing it yourself!

Burn down capitalism :ussr:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Farm to table artisanal video games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

veni veni veni posted:

you laugh but i spent my saturday reverse engineering futile's load-from-path sfx method and scraping out all the deprecated garbage since the original dev abandoned his poo poo

and now i can call, swap, and play music and sound effects any time i want and unity's crappy drag-and-drop interface can't get in my way

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

veni veni veni posted:

The gently caress you think indie games got popular for

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ikanreed posted:

The gently caress you think indie games got popular for

It's because the people who make indie games not only want to make good games but and this is key have the power to make them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mario games with all their object-grabbing and bouncing are things I have never been good at and think you need a weird claw hand to pull off on a controller.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Maya Fey posted:

green zone is the only good level in the entire Sonic franchise

I loved Sky Chase zone in sonic 2. It was such a relaxing and easy stage after the metropolis madness. That went on for too long. A nice break between that and the final real zone.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

arcade games suck lol

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I feel like playing a video game so I ordered some lumber

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's definitely a certain satisfaction towards enjoying furniture you built yourself, even if it's crappy. I still have the little shelf I made in shop class in high school, sized specifically to hold VHS tapes, CD cases and cassettes. (lol. Though it's actually still perfectly sized for DVDs and Switch game cases)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I build garden boxes and some furniture too, but I'm not going to berate someone for buying an ottoman instead of some DIY kit off of amazon

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I feel like building your own poo poo and buying a finished one, while still leaving you with the same final product, are not actually about buying the same thing at all.

It should not amaze me, but it does that so many goons can't grasp the value of looking at something and saying "I built that" or that the professionally produced product is sometimes much higher in quality.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Gonna go to Home Depot to get materials to build my own custom Minecraft cabinet in an ostentatious display of sublime meta-irony.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tim Burns Effect posted:

arcade games suck lol

They're literally designed to suck but masochists exist vOv

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Gonna go to Home Depot to get materials to build my own custom Minecraft cabinet in an ostentatious display of sublime meta-irony.

You should really punch some trees yourself to get the basic wood components you need to start building.
:colbert:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Playing video games is only more enjoyable when stoned if they are session based ie: counterstrike, dota, rocket league.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Playing video games is only more enjoyable when stoned if they are session based ie: counterstrike, dota, rocket league.

counterpoint: breath of the wild

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

counterpoint: breath of the wild

It doesn't matter how high you get me, that game is empty.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

yeah i think there's far more counterpoints than just that

i can't even imagine playing cs:go stoned, that sounds miserable

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

food court bailiff posted:

yeah i think there's far more counterpoints than just that

i can't even imagine playing cs:go stoned, that sounds miserable

I can't imagine playing counterstrike sober is very fun

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it isn't, but it's not anything to do with intoxication

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I can't imagine playing counterstrike sober is very fun
jailbreak was fun sometimes

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Wildly false

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Titanfall 2 is an amazing game but 10x better blazed

*ripping a bong and achieving cultural victory on Emperor in Civ 6*

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Cities Skylines and a joint is a match made in heaven.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Racing sims stoned is my jam (while listening to coast to coast AM type poo poo about Aliens)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Cities Skylines and a joint is a match made in heaven.

:yeah: also Surviving Mars

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

old beast lunatic posted:

(while listening to coast to coast AM type poo poo about Aliens)

Is there some solid archive for this kind of stuff or someplace where I could reliably stream it? I might have similar gaming tastes.

Also the dude talking about playing Rocket League stoned knows what's up.

Also the Six Ages game. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

SnowblindFatal posted:

Is there some solid archive for this kind of stuff or someplace where I could reliably stream it? I might have similar gaming tastes.

Much like coast to coast AM it's hit and miss, but here's a few I browse through. I like the astonishing legends podcast depending on the topic. If you like off the wall alien stories check out episode 155.
https://www.astonishinglegends.com/

Jim Harold is a guy from Ohio I've been listening to forever who has a two podcasts I like. The Paranormal podcast is an interview show about ghosts, ufos, the afterlife and other coast to coast AM poo poo. Campfire is a weekly collection of call-in ghost stories.
https://jimharold.com/

Sometimes I'll check out this internet radio station. They have a lot of insane poo poo that owns. There's one guy I love who is super into Jesus and God and stuff and is convinced The UFOs are Satan. Owns. They also have "Fade to Black with Jimmy church" on weeknights witch is basically a coast to coast AM show... that guy even hosts coast soemtimes.
https://kgraradio.com/

All this is great for getting stoned and doing hour long ACC races or space truckin in Elite: Dangerous.