Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What the gently caress

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/2-series/gran-coupe/overview.html

Why!

Are Kia and Hyundai OK with such plagiarism??

I imagine the guy at Kia sits down at his desk, cracks his knuckles, takes a sip of coffee, and checks his old designs real quick to remind him what he's already done. Then he opens up google, types "2021 BMW grille" in the search bar, puts his tracing paper on the screen and then gets really confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I love that every single map in that picture is different. And the view of the street makes no sense in connection with any of them. And it says the speed limit is 65 in a city and to get in the right lane to make the left ahead. Also they are stopped in the middle of the road.

Attention to detail like this really makes me want a new BMW.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Me, doing a burnout in a car that has no stupid maps or any other poo poo: yes, this photoshop fuckup by the ad company BMW outsourced their commercial to really has dampened my enjoyment of this NA V8 that revs to 8300

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
good loving christ.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I am in awe of how uncomfortable that looks

The model is sitting weird too

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
yikes

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
You can't tell me that's not a Sonata with BMW badges.

edit: Out of curiosity, how well do BMWs hold up outside? We're running out of garage space, so my car/beater car has to stay outside. We live in PA where they salt the roads at the slightest hint of snow. I have a touchless carwash nearby that can wash the undercarriage pretty well, but do E90 and up BMWs hold up well frame/body wise when exposed to the elements?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 7, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Residency Evil posted:

BMW badge? That grille is a straight KIA copy with a center vertical strip.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

meatpimp posted:

BMW badge? That grille is a straight poo poo.

FTFY.

Also FWD bmw. Also WTF is that on tha pic. A tourer, a crossover, a pieceofshit body type? I dont even know now.
It also has ///M badge. Ugh

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

meatpimp posted:

BMW badge? That grille is a straight KIA copy with a center vertical strip.

Except the KIAs look better.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
RIP BMW 1916 - 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

edit: Out of curiosity, how well do BMWs hold up outside? We're running out of garage space, so my car/beater car has to stay outside. We live in PA where they salt the roads at the slightest hint of snow. I have a touchless carwash nearby that can wash the undercarriage pretty well, but do E90 and up BMWs hold up well frame/body wise when exposed to the elements?
Can't speak to the frame but :siren: my e92 :siren: sat for nearly a year outside thanks to the PO and it ate away heavily at the clearcoat, there definitely was some snow chillin on the bumper and it needs to be repainted now.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

(my tires wear perfectly/alignment is done by an M3 guy here in LA)

Can you share his info? My F30 is wearing the outside fronts too fast but the last alignment I got said that everything was fine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimcicle posted:

Can you share his info? My F30 is wearing the outside fronts too fast but the last alignment I got said that everything was fine.

Alignments can be tricky if you don't ask a lot of questions. With the computerized laser setups, it all depends on how much care the tech has. It's easy for them to get it within parameters and "green light" it, where they just come in to spec, and call it good. In general, I ask for the tech to get the readings "centered," unless there's a reason I want them to modify the spec in some way. Also ask for a before/after printout. "Everything's fine" can range anywhere from a pro-level alignment to a Firestone green light.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it's fast though, and available in Melbourne Red.

I like how the photoshop out the models shoes so they are both Puma's or Nike's.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Keyser_Soze posted:

it's fast though, and available in Melbourne Red.

I like how the photoshop out the models shoes so they are both Puma's or Nike's.

That Hyundai is a much better looking car

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Keyser_Soze posted:

I want to believe this is so BMW can avoid taking sides in the great Puma/Adidas crosstown turf war

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

beanieson posted:

That Hyundai is a much better looking car

Except for those directional wheels with the spokes going the wrong way. Worst trend on modern cars.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Guinness posted:

Except for those directional wheels with the spokes going the wrong way. Worst trend on modern cars.

What bothers me about those is when they have all 4 wheels identical, so one side of the car has the spokes going the opposite direction. VW has been doing this with the GTI for a few years and I hate it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

beanieson posted:

What bothers me about those is when they have all 4 wheels identical, so one side of the car has the spokes going the opposite direction. VW has been doing this with the GTI for a few years and I hate it.

Yeah exactly. Directional wheels are ok but only if you have two pairs that are mirror images, such that none are going the wrong way.

But that’s more complicated than just saying gently caress it and having them all be the same with 2 always going the wrong direction.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

RIP BMW 1916 - 2013

BMW died with the end of the E82, agreed

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

rscott posted:

BMW died with the end of the E82, agreed

:hai:

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Keyser_Soze posted:

it's fast though

Can confirm. It's basically the same machine as my F40 1er but in 4 door coupe guise.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
fast but ugly

a dangerous combination

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Not a great value, imho. Starts at ~$38,000?

The M-sSort is a big chunk more but from what I understand, the M-Sport is always a bad deal with modern BMWs?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Well, traditionally MSport gives you better exterior trim, usually better looking wheels, and most importantly, bigger brakes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm probably using the wrong term. M-Performance? The one where it costs $8,000 for more vroom

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
M Performance is the engine tune, on the N54/N55, it's about $1000-1200, but on the B58, it's about $3000 because while the N just needs more air in, the B series needs more air out as well, so it ends up needing a different exhaust as well.

You don't have to buy that with purchase though.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Mystery tire wear problem solved...

Not entirely sure what the PO was going for with the camber plates and excessive camber in the front. I hope it was for something other than looks, that would be sad. Rear right toe was pretty hosed. I went back to factory specs and put the aftermarket sway bar on the softest setting (was on the stiffest). It's a little strange now, there's way more grip and turn-in is feels much better thanks to the new tires but it also feels like it rolls a little more with the sway bar change.

Also wanted to rant about Discount Tire, gently caress those guys. They said they have a corporate policy that they don't do cars with aftermarket stud kits but they'd be happy to sell me a conversion. If you're going to sell a conversion, aren't you already taking them off? How hard could it be to put the lugs back on? Well, apparently pretty loving hard because, after I told them to just be careful getting the lugs on and off, and after the tech said sure I can do that, I get the car back with a cheesy set of cheap chrome lugs and a bill for $43 extra. I was already taking time off work so taking the car back or taking the wheels off myself would have cost me. Really pissed me off though, what a bunch of fucks. /rant

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
must depend on location cause they didnt balk at mine back in november

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

All tire shops are terrible and every time I'm at one I regret not having finally bought/made a bead breaker and a balancer to free myself from their bullshit.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Thinking of taking a look at this E90 M3 tomorrow:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

The price seems a bit high for the mileage, but this appears to have the Comp package, yeah? I checked the VIN and it looks like it does - the black wheels are throwing me off, so I'm not sure if that's aftermarket or was an option at the time.

This will be a second, fun car but I'm thinking if I drive it, and it checks out, getting the dealer down to around 20K seems like it would be worth it. I have no clue what kind of maintenance records are there for this car, so I'm baking in a rod bearing replacement as soon as I get it. From calling some indie shops, thats around $2500-$3000

Thoughts?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

dk2m posted:

I checked the VIN and it looks like it does - the black wheels are throwing me off, so I'm not sure if that's aftermarket or was an option at the time.

Thoughts?

Bummer.work generates images of the exterior and interior. Those wheels were made black after the fact.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

glyph posted:

Bummer.work generates images of the exterior and interior. Those wheels were made black after the fact.

And the rear bumper has definitely been painted, and the exhaust isn't factory (may or may not be a good thing, depending). But for that price? That's one hell of a lot of car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks like it does have comp package...price seems okay given the miles and if that PPI was really done and no issues found

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dk2m posted:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

The price seems a bit high for the mileage, but this appears to have the Comp package, yeah? I checked the VIN and it looks like it does - the black wheels are throwing me off, so I'm not sure if that's aftermarket or was an option at the time.

This will be a second, fun car but I'm thinking if I drive it, and it checks out, getting the dealer down to around 20K seems like it would be worth it. I have no clue what kind of maintenance records are there for this car, so I'm baking in a rod bearing replacement as soon as I get it. From calling some indie shops, thats around $2500-$3000

Thoughts?

Hey, that's where I live! I think $20k would be a stupidly good price for that. I've seen lower than that on E9x's with higher mileage but they're usually 2008's and almost never a comp package.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
That's an awesome car. Funny enough, I keep on looking at this car:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1650557&page=3&highlight=e90

The guy started off asking 30k and wouldn't budge/negotiate with anyone. I think I offered him 25 or 26k at one point and he declined. In the interim, his car got hit on the left door with some repairs required. Now he's down to asking 22.5k and the car is still sitting. lol

There's also this: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1676182

I love car browsing, but I need more garage space. Keeping these outside all year as beaters seems like a waste.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

dk2m posted:

Thoughts?

That is a pretty good looking car and was loved and I would say pricing is pretty reasonable. A PPI would show than the motor mounts are definitely in need of repair which will be ~$400 in parts plus labor. That could be your bargaining chip to get it cheaper than listed currently or just tell them you will pay their ask price if they get those fixed. You are going to be replacing those with the rod bearings anyhow.

The seat bolster looks to be in very good shape considering it has over 100K miles. There is a little peeling on the steering wheel trim and the plastic trim by the window buttons. This is common on the E9x, the plasti has this kind of rubber coating and it starts to peel sometimes. The leather of the steering wheel looks like it needs some love but that can be cleaned and treated. The hood alignment seems off in relation to the bumper/headlights but I think it could maybe just be the angle or the bump stops need to be adjusted a little bit. See my car:

meatpimp posted:

And the rear bumper has definitely been painted, and the exhaust isn't factory (may or may not be a good thing, depending). But for that price? That's one hell of a lot of car.

I don't know if I am seeing a rear bumper paint but you might be the better professional than myself. I will say that BMW metallic paints look different from sheet metal to the plastic bumpers giving the appearance of being resprayed when they in fact have not. I would blame the lighting in the photos for being indoors. Ether Frenzy has a Sparking Grey Metallic and can probably better weigh in on that.

This all reminds me that I never finished my E9X buying guide I started. I have a bunch of photos and info. I will get around to it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Carfax for that car shows front damage, so that might explain the hood alignment.

I don't have any experience with that particular dealer, but I test drove an E92 M at the one right across the street from it and they were one of those dealers that buys pretty lovely sports cars in not great shape and then tries to sell them at normal prices. It was obvious as soon as you stepped on the lot there so keep an eye out for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dk2m
May 6, 2009
You guys are all awesome. Thank you so much for not only the local info (I live in Golden!), but the signs to look out for.

@Somewhat Heroic - Appreciate the heads up on the motor mounts. The peeling isn't a huge deal for me, but I was definitely gonna DIY it if I get it. I also noticed the hood alignment looking funky as well...good to know that there might be something going on there. And based on your comparison pics, I think something is a bit off. Will have to look at it in person.

@metpimp - I honestly didn't catch the rear bumper/modified exhaust at all...add that to the list.

@glyph - Confirms my suspicion on the wheels. Thank you.

@BraveUlysses - I'm tending to agree with this. I'm not sure how much I trust their PPI but I'll need to actually see the docs in hand. I'm just gonna get my own from a trusted guy as well.

@fknlo - I see these guys sometimes put up interesting cars, I wasn't sure how they were perceived locally. Thanks for the heads up, I gave them a call and they didn't seem to know too much about this particular car but we'll see.

@Residency Evil - not a bad listing, tbh. Feel kinda bad for that dude though, jeez.

Definitely some warning signs but I'm writing all these down to negotiate the price down. I've been looking at E90/E92 M3s for like a year now so I don't mind getting something that is a bit rough around the edges as long as there's no serious mechanical defects. Plan is to buy it and drive the piss out of it on nice days anyway - I think it'll compliment my daily WRX well.

Thank you everyone!