Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
C'mon dudes, it's pronounced "moron label". :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

shame on an IGA posted:

Because the boy scouts organization in the US serves the dual purpose of right wing paramailitary indoctrination and grooming child rape victims

I loving knew it!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Dameius posted:

Only if it is your sincerely held religious belief.

My sincerely held religious belief is that all property is theft. Prepare to die burglars :blastu:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Schadenboner posted:

More like “melon lobes”, ammirite?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

C'mon dudes, it's pronounced "moron label". :rolleyes:

Motion lube.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
When, exactly, is it legally kosher to shoot someone anyway? Genuine, unironic question from someone who does not own a gun, does not know how to handle a gun, and is extremely uncomfortable around guns.

Like, I've heard about people who still get in shitloads of trouble for shooting and killing someone to protect their family (as in, an immediate threat) and that just sounds kinda counterintuitive to the point of being able to own and bear arms.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
If you’re rich and white, you can get away with shooting anyone.

If you’re white right wing male, you can probably shoot anyone as long as they aren’t richer than you.

If you’re a white right wing woman, you can probably shoot anyone who isn’t your husband or kid.

Shooting anyone is illegal for everyone else, no matter which state you’re in.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Framboise posted:

When, exactly, is it legally kosher to shoot someone anyway? Genuine, unironic question from someone who does not own a gun, does not know how to handle a gun, and is extremely uncomfortable around guns.

Like, I've heard about people who still get in shitloads of trouble for shooting and killing someone to protect their family (as in, an immediate threat) and that just sounds kinda counterintuitive to the point of being able to own and bear arms.

Serious answer: it depends at a state level. You are looking for the existence of one or both of the following laws, sometimes under different names but generally referred to by these:

1. Stand Your Ground - to varying degrees of feeling threatened, lets you use lethal force in person-to-person interactions. Think Trayvon Martin.

2. Castle Doctrine - to varying degrees of feeling threatened, lets you use lethal force in interactions where your property is threatened. Think of any number of white person shoots minority on their property.

There are better, more detailed ways of explaining this, as well as better examples, but that is a shorthand gist of it. You can Google the rest off those terms.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
"Climate change has been going on for millions of years. It's just that we didn't have the technology to measure it until recently, that's why it seems so scary. "

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
To be clear, there are also states without those laws. There are states where if a bad guy breaks into your house one night and you're holding a gun, legally you have to run away. People also don't realize that brandishing and warning shots are often legally big nos. It really depends 100% on where you are.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Time Cowboy posted:

If you’re rich and white, you can get away with shooting anyone.

If you’re white right wing male, you can probably shoot anyone as long as they aren’t richer than you.

If you’re a white right wing woman, you can probably shoot anyone who isn’t your husband or kid.

Shooting anyone is illegal for everyone else, no matter which state you’re in.

This sounds like a liberal :downs: joke but it really is a good rule of thumb to live by without needing to dig into your State's particular legislation.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
There's just something about "just allow people to just completely wreck/steal your belongings and present a threat on your life because you legally have to run away" that fills me with a monumental level of anxiety, jesus.

Like I don't have a gun but all that separates me and my apartment from the world is a deadbolt and some easily broken windows so even I have like, a hammer and some extremely sharp kitchen knives and you bet anything that I'll take almost being completely defenseless to being hopelessly defenseless if my life is at stake. I literally can't run to save my life since I have only one way out and I have to go down a stairwell. May as well be a sitting duck.

That said, I just looked it up and it seems that Indiana is under Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine laws. I don't know if that abates my anxiety or exacerbates it though.

Oof. Never mind me. I'm just anxiety-ramble-posting now.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It is just meaningless anxiety though. Literally any number of completely random and drat near unpredictable events can kill you right now and you have literally no way to stop them even if you were in a fully staffed hospital/underground bunker. I'd say an armed invasion of a visibly occupied house leading to your death is pretty loving low on the list, these things don't happen that often and almost never randomly. Don't piss off the wrong people though.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

It is just meaningless anxiety though. Literally any number of completely random and drat near unpredictable events can kill you right now and you have literally no way to stop them even if you were in a fully staffed hospital/underground bunker. I'd say an armed invasion of a visibly occupied house leading to your death is pretty loving low on the list, these things don't happen that often and almost never randomly. Don't piss off the wrong people though.

Unless the invaders are the police.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I mean I think you are more likely to be killed by a police home invasion than a criminal one

Boomers: The government taxing hard workers like Jeff Bezos is wrong and oppressive, the police destroying homes and wiping families off the face of the earth because they might have drugs is good.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Well yeah duh. But it's not like having a weapon will help, if the pigs decide to kill you, you are gonna end up dead no matter what so :shrug:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Still not random, it's mostly black peeps

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Framboise posted:

There's just something about "just allow people to just completely wreck/steal your belongings and present a threat on your life because you legally have to run away" that fills me with a monumental level of anxiety, jesus.

But "guy with a gun can start a fight and if he loses the upper hand can legally shoot you and claim self defense because he 'felt threatened'" doesn't?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Framboise posted:

Like I don't have a gun but all that separates me and my apartment from the world is a deadbolt and some easily broken windows so even I have like, a hammer and some extremely sharp kitchen knives and you bet anything that I'll take almost being completely defenseless to being hopelessly defenseless if my life is at stake. I literally can't run to save my life since I have only one way out and I have to go down a stairwell. May as well be a sitting duck.

That said, I just looked it up and it seems that Indiana is under Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine laws. I don't know if that abates my anxiety or exacerbates it though.

Before the laws were distorted by NRA/ALEC poo poo, the idea is that you can use lethal force in situations where it’s a last resort in direct defense of persons and property. This is why booby traps are generally not allowed, for instance. Running away is just a direct example of a situation where shooting someone clearly is not a last resort.

If it makes you feel better, home invasions are generally the stuff of conservative jerk off fantasies. Folks who want to rob a house want to do so when no one is home.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Geoj posted:

But "guy with a gun can start a fight and if he loses the upper hand can legally shoot you and claim self defense because he 'felt threatened'" doesn't?

Don't recall ever saying that as it isn't relevant to what I was asking, but thanks for that cherry on top of the anxiety sundae

Colonel Cancer posted:

I think I'm just on edge because there's been a spike in shootings in my area lately (and a murder a couple years ago) and there always seems to be SOME domestic problem going on in my building or neighboring building. I realize that as a functioning semi-hermit who talks to no one in the complex I am probably fine but I still cannot help but leave dim lights on at night or when I'm not home.

As irrational as I am aware it is, my fear of invasion/the general feeling of being unsafe at home is probably my most prevalent one in my adulthood so it's difficult to shake.

Solkanar512 posted:

If it makes you feel better, home invasions are generally the stuff of conservative jerk off fantasies. Folks who want to rob a house want to do so when no one is home.

And I'm aware of that. I guess my mind tends to wander a into uncomfortable places a lot when it's just me on my own.

Also, apologies for the tangent, but I just felt like I had to ask while it was fresh in my mind.

Boomers like sowing the seeds of their own anxieties in their kids, to be on topic. My brother's always been wanting to get a gun and is now able to now that he has turned 21 and I really don't like that and worry he's going to get himself into a situation where he feels he needs to use it.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 8, 2020

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Does he suffer from depression or alcoholism? If so, guns are very dangerous.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The amount of Boomer's that jack off to idea of shooting home invader that are also conservative Christians is double hosed, like bro do you really think that Jesus that flips the money lenders tables is going to agree that "yeah dude, that person's life is worth less than your TV you should totally kill him STAND YOUR GROUND 'MERICA!!!!!"?

The only time I feel bad is when the Boomer blows away their kid trying to sneak back in from going out to a party or something. Just feel bad for the poor dead child not the sick gently caress that probably had a boner when he pulled the trigger

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Heres a powerful phrase, use it wisely:

Weird flex, but ok boomer

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Heres a powerful phrase, use it wisely:

Weird flex, but ok boomer

I don't think a boomer is capable of understanding the connotations of weird flex.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
boomers can't flex without getting a hernia so every flex is a weird one :unsmith:

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

e.pilot posted:

I don't think a boomer is capable of understanding the connotations of weird flex.

It just sounded funny on My head, but now that you mention it, that should confuse and anger them, i think

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Boomer wisdom: Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Boomer jack it to prison rape.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Framboise posted:

Most people who break into a house to steal some poo poo aren't going to risk a murder charge. When I was a kid there was this old lady that lived behind us who was well into her 70s and some guy broke into her house. She basically just came out of her bedroom and said "Get the hell out of my house." and he ran away.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Boomer jack it to prison rape.

Boomers love rape so much that they made a serial rapist the President of the United States.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

dee eight posted:

Boomer wisdom: Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6

yeah, just like in that movie, twelve angry men, a righteous and articulate fighter for truth will inevitably emerge in the jury to overcome any biases and prejudices that might result in a miscarriage of justice.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
12 angry men is too PC for them

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Solkanar512 posted:

Except that if someone does home invade you it's because they're crazy and have no more fucks to give. So it's still a super scary idea regardless.

Also, unless you're paranoid and have guns stashed in every corner AND are awake AND aren't drunk AND aren't super absorbed in the antics of Steve Harvey you are probably going to be killed either way since home invasions by their very nature are a surprise unless you're Kevin McCallister and have some advance warning.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If anything statistics show that you most likely already know your future murderer. They are close to you and they know where you live :tinfoil:

Could be your wife, your boyfriend, your brother, your aunt, your best friend even. Best distance yourself from any human contact and install a fortified iron door.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
If you go home alone on them and set traps you will be arrested in literally every state

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Not if you accidentally blow your head off with a carefully set up shotgun trap first!

E: was trying to find that exact story and holy poo poo searching "crazy guy who boobietrapped he own house and died" gives you a lot more results than I expected

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Colonel Cancer posted:

If anything statistics show that you most likely already know your future murderer. They are close to you and they know where you live :tinfoil:

Could be your wife, your boyfriend, your brother, your aunt, your best friend even. Best distance yourself from any human contact and install a fortified iron door.

Even your dog? :ohdear:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

BigDave posted:

Your dog, maybe not. Your cat, definitely.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BigDave posted:

Especially your dog

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Haha all you dog and cat people are doomed to certain fluff cute deaths!

My most trusted pet hippo however shall never betray me!!!

(but seriously everyone, be careful taking a shower. Statistically really up there on ways people die. Particularly if you like to ride your motorbike in the shower. Statically pretty much just a death warrant.)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

And if a stranger does murder you one day it's a lot more likely that it'll be from behind of the wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Colonel Cancer posted:

Your dog, maybe not. Your cat, definitely.

MR FRECKLES NOOOOO!!!