Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

I realized something about Resistance that's probably hurting it, it never has that point where Kaz is growing up. Ezra is a real annoying kid in the first season, but eventaully he grows up and becomes competent and mature, Kaz is still a wacky goofball after the first season. This probably won't ever happen because there's only like, a half dozen episodes left?

If you included his various droids, he's basically inspector gadget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

I realized something about Resistance that's probably hurting it, it never has that point where Kaz is growing up. Ezra is a real annoying kid in the first season, but eventaully he grows up and becomes competent and mature, Kaz is still a wacky goofball after the first season. This probably won't ever happen because there's only like, a half dozen episodes left?

Ezra was never as obnoxious as Kaz, though. He was maybe naive and precocious, but Kaz is just downright obnoxious. He's a bad, slapsticky joke of a character with no real depth.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

howe_sam posted:

I never watched Clone Wars and it didn't hurt my appreciation of Rebels in the slightest.

Yeah you did, you missed several long character arcs. I mean...Rex is front and center in Clone Wars and has a long arc where he stops being a subservient clone thay pays off in Rebels for instance, and makes his ROTJ appearance actually cool, too.

Also, Saw from Clone Wars to Rogue One is kind of amusing too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wait, ROTJ appearance?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
filoni retroactively said that one of the guys who went with han/leia/luke to endor was rex

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phylodox posted:

Ezra was never as obnoxious as Kaz, though. He was maybe naive and precocious, but Kaz is just downright obnoxious. He's a bad, slapsticky joke of a character with no real depth.

And he's so bad at everything other than being a semi competent fighter pilot. He got his entire "be a spy!" job from Poe who was impressed that he managed to land a lucky hit on a first order ace. That was his sole job qualification.

It would really have been nice to see him actually become useful, but drat near everything good he's accomplished was entirely on the ball droids.

The last episode I watched he did his usual idiot shtick, fell in a pit, and had to be rescued by children and cb-23 again, and just haven't been able to bring myself to catch up on the last few episodes because :negative:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

howe_sam posted:

I never watched Clone Wars and it didn't hurt my appreciation of Rebels in the slightest.

Every word you just said is :wrong:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Even clone wars first two seasons is mostly bad, mind

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The new volume of the Star Wars main comic is set right after the end of Empire

Our boy is a little down.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The new SW series is super good, bee tee dubs.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dawgstar posted:

The new SW series is super good, bee tee dubs.

You mean volume 2? New Hope to Empire? or the 2020 one ^ ?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Risky Bisquick posted:

Every word you just said is :wrong:

Nah. Rebels is first and foremost Ezra's story (and the rest of the crew of the Ghost to a lesser extent), not Ashoka or Rex's. You don't have to know clone wars to appreciate that, and honestly, Rebels would be a failure if you did.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

Nah. Rebels is first and foremost Ezra's story (and the rest of the crew of the Ghost to a lesser extent), not Ashoka or Rex's. You don't have to know clone wars to appreciate that, and honestly, Rebels would be a failure if you did.

There are a handful of instances where you'll miss a pretty effective emotional moment if you don't know the background, but overall you're right. Like, when Ashoka confronts Vader, and you know that she was his padawan and this is their first meeting since "Anakin" died, or when Ashoka sees Rex for the first time in a really long time and she hugs him. None of it really directly impacts the plot though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

No one said you couldn't appreciate it without clone wars. You said it didn't hurt your appreciation of it, which is completely inaccurate, because you wouldn't know if it does until you watch it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The temple between worlds or whatever they called it that appears in the last??? season of rebels is directly connected to an arc that happened in cw as well

^^^ I disagree. Having the knowledge of cw would add to their appreciation, but not having wouldn't hurt it because being unaware of something, and not being aware of what you're unaware of, can't actively hurt the appreciation that you have for what you know of. Imo

site fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 8, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I do think there's a distinction there. At no point does the plot of Rebels require that you've seen Clone Wars, which for me is the point where you could say that not having seen CW would actually hurt your enjoyment of Rebels. It's just added icing on the cake.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

The temple between worlds or whatever they called it that appears in the last??? season of rebels is directly connected to an arc that happened in cw as well

^^^ I disagree. Having the knowledge of cw would add to their appreciation, but not having wouldn't hurt it because being unaware of something, and not being aware of what you're unaware of, can't actively hurt the appreciation that you have for what you know of. Imo

I disagree, he knows it exists and he knows most people rate it higher than rebels. If watching it only raises your appriciation a few percent, it still raises it.
It's a moot point anyway because homeslice ain't running off to wacth it, and i'm not his star wars sponsor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rocksicles posted:

You mean volume 2? New Hope to Empire? or the 2020 one ^ ?

The Charles Soule one that just started. The post-ANH one is... fine, I guess, but never felt particularly like it stood out.

Also some of the art is downright horrible as one of the artists would literally just Photoshop the actors' heads onto bodies and it is super cringe. Also I kept hearing people say they'd steal fan designs for stuff.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dawgstar posted:

The Charles Soule one that just started. The post-ANH one is... fine, I guess, but never felt particularly like it stood out.

Also some of the art is downright horrible as one of the artists would literally just Photoshop the actors' heads onto bodies and it is super cringe. Also I kept hearing people say they'd steal fan designs for stuff.

Yeah some was a bit basic, I stopped caring after a while. I'm keen to see that new crew on Aphra and Vader.
I just threw a copy of all the series and one shots between ANH and Empire into a folder and numbered them in the correct read order, 183 issues. I'll start a new folder for the post Empire stuff.

I gotta say i loved the Tarkin one shot, they made him a loving psycho.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Aparently High Republic has been started to be mentioned in stuff recently, so good chance it will be whatever Project Luminous is.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Rocksicles posted:

most people rate it higher than rebels.

Most people... are wrong.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think TCW has higher highs and lower lows than Rebels but Rebels is way more consistent.

My main issues with Rebels are that Ezra grows and matures but he’s still kinda annoying and some of the early stuff can be extremely tedious and boring until they either a) hook up with the other Rebel cells or b) start to delve into the jedi/force stuff more.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Where's the love for Clone Wars animated movie Baby Jabba?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Where's the love for Clone Wars animated movie Baby Jabba?

Elsewhere.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm sure there's a long story in the thirty years between the OT & ST where Rotta comes back for revenge over Leia for killing their parent

No one's cared enough to write it though

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

I'm sure there's a long story in the thirty years between the OT & ST where Rotta comes back for revenge over Leia for killing their parent

No one's cared enough to write it though

But what about Jabba's father?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

But what about Jabba's father?

The ST should've been movie recreations of the Jedi Prince series, yes, I like this alternate timeline

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There is something seriously loving weird with Lando's movement in Rebels. He, like, undulates.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Recent ILM interview on their work on TRoS says they threw in a ton of ships into the final battle. He specifically named dropped the Fireball as being there, for as much good as that does being able to see anything anyway.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Pollyanna posted:

There is something seriously loving weird with Lando's movement in Rebels. He, like, undulates.

That's because Lando is so drat smooth

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Teek posted:

Recent ILM interview on their work on TRoS says they threw in a ton of ships into the final battle. He specifically named dropped the Fireball as being there, for as much good as that does being able to see anything anyway.

I deff spotted a mandalorian fang in that shot

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Colossus is there for sure.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

The puppetry is the weakest part of the animated shows--nothing seems like it has weight or momentum, and their chosen method of giving complexity to mouth movements (having the characters' jaws move from side to side as they speak) is off-putting.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I do think there's a distinction there. At no point does the plot of Rebels require that you've seen Clone Wars, which for me is the point where you could say that not having seen CW would actually hurt your enjoyment of Rebels. It's just added icing on the cake.

This sounds like a phrasing discrepancy with how people state their feelings differently. Any reason for lost enjoyment to me "hurts my enjoyment" as it takes away from what I could have had. For instance, I can still enjoy a movie knowing a twist beforehand, but I will never be able to reproduce the feeling of seeing the movie in the framework of being surprised by that twist, so that is a "loss" to me.

Similarly, all the stuff held over from Clone Wars in Rebels that gave more emotional impact from the development in Clone Wars would have been the same thing. The happiness at seeing Ahsoka again would have been lost because I wouldn't care about who this lightsaber woman is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was going to watch Rebels but since I have D+ and hadn't seen Clone Wars, I just decided to watch it first. It's worth the time. There's even recommended watching lists out there, but for my money just skip the droid episodes and you'll be fine.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I was going to watch Rebels but since I have D+ and hadn't seen Clone Wars, I just decided to watch it first. It's worth the time. There's even recommended watching lists out there, but for my money just skip the droid episodes and you'll be fine.

Some of the droid episodes are fun. What I realized about Clone Wars is that the silly episodes are fun *after* you go through looking for all of the "serious" plot-centric episodes.

It would have been annoying to watch weekly, which is why I never really did it; to see, like a great clones in a war hellscape with a Jedi going dark and getting them all killed saga, then jump to Jar Jar and the droids goofing around.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The only Droid episode you should skip is A Sunny Day In The Void

Everything else is at least watchable at least once

Also can't wait to see what Maul mocapped by Ray Park for TCW S7 looks like

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Uh, does Ezra's hair color change at some point? Or is that just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Darko posted:

This sounds like a phrasing discrepancy with how people state their feelings differently. Any reason for lost enjoyment to me "hurts my enjoyment" as it takes away from what I could have had. For instance, I can still enjoy a movie knowing a twist beforehand, but I will never be able to reproduce the feeling of seeing the movie in the framework of being surprised by that twist, so that is a "loss" to me.

Similarly, all the stuff held over from Clone Wars in Rebels that gave more emotional impact from the development in Clone Wars would have been the same thing. The happiness at seeing Ahsoka again would have been lost because I wouldn't care about who this lightsaber woman is.

You suck at watching things. That's fine, you can enjoy things in your own way, but your use of absolutist langauge and telling people how to enjoy things makes you very bad.