Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Let's just spin off CineD

e: the podcast one can come too. Not TVIV or vidja games though, those guys are nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s very likely the majority of mods didn’t know about this at all (and likely not Fran cause what would he have to do with it,) but a few did by their own admission, so everyone’s paranoid. PPJ responding to evidence that he’s a member of an openly fascist server with “actually I was hunting the nazis” is funny on its own, but nobody seems to be able to cough up any evidence that he actually managed to prevent any Nazi activity or get any of them banned. He sure did joke about racist memes alongside them to “fit in” though!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

“Bad mod” is an understatement, Party Plane Jones was hanging out with literal Nazis and punished/eventually banned high-profile trans posters while FYAD was on a tear of doxxing trans posters, C-SPAM has every right to be outraged.

I'm not trying to minimize how hosed PPJ's actions are, but I really don't understand why C-Spam is acting like this is a constitutional issue and the admins need to testify before congress and let them democratically elect mods. I'm sure there's an insanely long list of mod actions PPJ took that need to be reviewed, but that isn't going to happen (literally) overnight and the mods can't just make promises about what will or won't happen when they're just as confused as everyone else.

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s very likely the majority of mods didn’t know about this at all (and likely not Fran cause what would he have to do with it,) but a few did by their own admission, so everyone’s paranoid. PPJ responding to evidence that he’s a member of an openly fascist server with “actually I was hunting the nazis” is funny on its own, but nobody seems to be able to cough up any evidence that he actually managed to prevent any Nazi activity or get any of them banned. He sure did joke about racist memes alongside them to “fit in” though!

PPJ's de-modded and permabanned, so that aspect is at least under control.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 8, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

I can assure you that there are a lot of posts from mods asking "What the gently caress is this?", as they are just as confused as the rest of us.

Lurdiak posted:

PPJ's de-modded and permabanned, so that aspect is at least under control.

Yes. That had already been done before I even logged in this morning.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not trying to minimize how hosed PPJ's actions are, but I really don't understand why C-Spam is acting like this is a constitutional issue and the admins need to testify before congress and let them democratically elect mods.

C-Spam has wanted their own self-appointed mods for a while now and the fact that this came out about their least favorite mod by far has galvanized them, not to mention other small details (they made C-Spam choice for mod Nichael an IK, but then stripped it away for issuing probations to people who, surprise, turned out to be nazis.)

There’s also the fact that, as previously mentioned, PPJ was the world’s stupidest sleeper agent, but this was apparently an operation by several moderators.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
drat making Dead Ringers the MOTM was a bad move, should have been Infernal Affairs.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

C-Spam has wanted their own self-appointed mods for a while now and the fact that this came out about their least favorite mod by far has galvanized them, not to mention other small details (they made C-Spam choice for mod Nichael an IK, but then stripped it away for issuing probations to people who, surprise, turned out to be nazis.)

There is a post addressing some of this in the works, but for clarity:

As soon as Nichael was made IK, they went off-site and was asking people who they wanted probated. Instead of, you know, running the forum based on the rules and the posting culture, they apparently started outsourcing opinions on who should be probated.

It'd be like if I became mod and then went into the Scream Stream discord and started asking people who I should probate.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

drat making Dead Ringers the MOTM was a bad move, should have been Infernal Affairs.

Based off of how absurd this all is maybe the better choice would be Burn After Reading.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

Based off of how absurd this all is maybe the better choice would be Burn After Reading.

Soderbergh's The Informant! is right there.

edit: gently caress it, double feature.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

edit: nevermind, needless drama

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Burn After Reading, surely.

Pirate Jet posted:

Do they know that that's not how SA has ever worked.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Burn After Reading, surely.

Do they know that that's not how SA has ever worked.

Well why shouldn’t it? We get close enough, even Fran was appointed after he was like “I could do it” and the majority of posters vouched for him.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

Well why shouldn’t it? We get close enough, even Fran was appointed after he was like “I could do it” and the majority of posters vouched for him.

it either works and a golden age of moderation is ushered in or we get to gather around the flaming wreckage of c-spam and have a laugh about it

it’s a win-win to me

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 8, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

The difficulty in finding mods, as we've seen recently, is in finding the balance of someone that is trustworthy, communicative, and will do their best to maintain their subforum, both for mod/admin team and for the subforum itself. It's about finding someone that's gonna be good for the whole sub-forum, not necessarily who is the most popular name on the ballot or who appeals to the most vocal group, although the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Being a mod is pretty much thankless. It's unpaid, it's technically a 24/7 job, there are zero benefits, it's incredibly stressful, and there are many situations that can take hours of your free time trying to decide the best solution. And then after a few hours of deciding on a solution and/or probation, usually one or two PMs are gonna come in, and if the mod is one to respond to PMs (not all of them are, but I am, at least for the ones that aren't outright poo poo-talking), that's gonna take time to respond to. And then people post about how you or the situation you are trying to address is killing this forum and that your actions, directly or indirectly, is driving away the good poster.

That's completely ignoring when situations like this PPJ thing, where now a large portion of the forums thinks we're all involved in a cabal of nazi hunting through discords, or are secretly nazis, or something, occurs. Or how mods who are quietly/secretly trans get called anti-trans over forums things they may not even be involved with. Like I said, there's, by my count, around 50 of us? And we all have different posting cultures. The Book Barn isn't the same as Games isn't the same as CSPAM. So when we all get lumped together, you get stuff like Jewish mods get blamed for anti-semitism because of something in a different forum.

So finding someone that applies to the former that is willing to deal with the latter that is also popular among their forums is almost non-existent. And with seemingly every single week having an entire forums-wide apocalyptic drama, and with mods and admins resigning left and right because it's just too much, and affecting their mental health or physical well-being, or because they and their spouses & children get met with threats or doxxing because some neckbeard has a personal vendetta against them over an internet community, I legitimately don't blame them.

And none of us want pity. A little understanding would be nice. I don't think people realize that I've had to interrupt dates, step away from friends/family at gatherings, take time while on vacation, spend hours of my weekend and evenings, just to make sure that people are talking about movies without killing each other. And this is a "chill" forum! I deal with a minute fraction of what others deal with. And it's frequently joked that "Well, yeah, you took on being a mod though, comes with the territory." And that's true too! But I would assume it's like snowboarding, or trying stand-up for the first time, or being a parent, where you can kinda fathom the experience a little, but you don't really know it until you've actually experienced it and hosed up a few times.

So, yeah, it's actually pretty difficult these days finding someone who wants all the responsibility of being a janitor of anonymous human interaction, all of the risk and drama, and really no reward other than the optimistic satisfaction that you're (hopefully) doing something good for a community you like being a part of, and hopefully can make some genuine connections with along the way. edit: And if we can find a person that accepts that, that is also well-liked and popular and a good poster and "gets" their forum, that's absolutely the ideal, and who we want moderating.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 8, 2020

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

CSPAM right now feels like Russia in between the February and October Revolutions. Just constant chaos and shifting of power. I mean, PPJ went from having the "full faith" of the admins to a permaban while I was asleep.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That said, it's a new day of questions and concerns, here on the forums and globally. As things get figured out, we'll work through them, and they will be publicly addressed across the forums. In the meantime, let's try and keep GenChat focused around CineD stuff, movies and movie culture, and not about forums-wide questions. I always try to provide answers and insights in here when they appear to me or are slow to be addressed in across the more appropriate parts of the forum. I never steer GenChat away from these to stifle discussion or belittle their importance, but because this is the corner of the forums for talking about cinematic monstrosities, and there are more appropriate places to discuss the bigger picture issues. I know that these things affect the forums as a whole, but nonetheless, CineD is a lil safe haven to get away from that stuff and just chill and talk about movies. And I guess part of that is burying the head in cinematic sand, but at the same time, it's very easy to just click into a different subforum where smarter people than me can weigh in and direct conversations.

edit: This is a follow-up to my post, not an admonishment towards you, TrixRabbi

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 8, 2020

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

drat, thanks for the insight Fran.

I'm legitimately only on here to talk about movies and board games and books so finding out there's some weird struggle with nazis happening elsewhere has made this a pretty crazy month, and it keeps getting weirder and stupider apparently.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Guy A. Person posted:

drat, thanks for the insight Fran.

I'm legitimately only on here to talk about movies and board games and books so finding out there's some weird struggle with nazis happening elsewhere has made this a pretty crazy month, and it keeps getting weirder and stupider apparently.

Same. It’s kind of funny that I grew up to have a major political dimension in my life and to be involved in local political organizing, because I sort of dread talking about politics and I never had any interest in online communities related to debate or philosophy etc when I was in my formative years. I just view working against capitalism as a responsibility for life as an ethical adult and something I simply have to do even if I’d rather be doing basically anything else.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Yeah seriously, thanks Fran. Your transparency and communication is loving wonderful.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just gonna have some coffee this morning and check... what... is...

:stare: :suspense: :magical:

Ah. Groverspy. Yes. Yes.

Again, thanks Fran for being upfront and doing your damndest to keep this sub calm, despite us all being insane movie nerds.

Gonna watch The Joker and It2 and hope they are more coherent than this forum news.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Joker is a good sleep aid if you're sensitive to over-the-counter stuff.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TrixRabbi posted:

Joker is a good sleep aid if you're sensitive to over-the-counter stuff.

Given how anxiety-inducing that movie is that's kind of a mean suggestion

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I hope Daniel Craig has some silly facial hair in the Knives Out sequel. Maybe an Eroll Flynn mustache, or maybe big 'chops and a soul patch.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Currently on the docket for the next few episodes of Monster Craze Memoirs

- Village of the Giants *

- The Brain from Planet Arous

- Fiend Without a Face

- Donovan's Brain **

- The Brain That Wouldn't Die

* This episode is actually going to be more just me talking to my dad about all the shenanigans he got up to when he was a kid, but I'll probably do a more proper episode or two dealing with the film in the context of reading it along with H. G. Wells' The Food of the Gods

** I also plan to do a bonus episode accompanying this on the Curt Siodmak novel, and maybe the two other film adaptations of it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hell yeah, love me some disembodied brains—Fiend Without a Face is the best, and The Brain from Planet Arous is a bunch of fun, too. I believe I got bored part way though Donovan's Brain, though, and I've yet to catch The Brain That Wouldn't Die.

Loving the Plato's Drive-In episode so far. Haven't finished it yet because I'm listening to it in-browser. I have no idea how podcasts work, but any chance you could get it on whatever service feeds Pocket Casts, Kwaste?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

feedmyleg posted:

I hope Daniel Craig has some silly facial hair in the Knives Out sequel. Maybe an Eroll Flynn mustache, or maybe big 'chops and a soul patch.

Somewhere someone involved in Mortdecai just felt the slightest bit of vindication.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
When I left the theatre after Knives Out I really wanted to see a sequel with Benoit Blanc. Then I felt bad because I know not every movie needs a sequel. But gently caress that feeling, because I really want to see Craig in this role again.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

feedmyleg posted:

Hell yeah, love me some disembodied brains—Fiend Without a Face is the best, and The Brain from Planet Arous is a bunch of fun, too. I believe I got bored part way though Donovan's Brain, though, and I've yet to catch The Brain That Wouldn't Die.

Loving the Plato's Drive-In episode so far. Haven't finished it yet because I'm listening to it in-browser. I have no idea how podcasts work, but any chance you could get it on whatever service feeds Pocket Casts, Kwaste?

I’ll look into it and pm you. I have a patreon RSS feed and a general rss for free episodes, so it should be pretty simple

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

trying to imagine watching Joker and feeling anything except extreme boredom and perhaps self-loathing at having decided to watch that movie

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TrixRabbi posted:

trying to imagine watching Joker and feeling anything except extreme boredom and perhaps self-loathing at having decided to watch that movie

did you see it in theaters? because frankly that loving score is pretty much enough if it's being blasted at theater volume

e: also it's a clunky movie in a couple big ways, but honestly i really appreciate it for just being a hammer loving blunt statement that deinstitutionalization was a very, very bad idea and that rich people deserve the violent reckoning they will receive. it kind of reminded me of Blomkamp's stuff with its themes and how it portrayed them, and while i know that bounces right the gently caress off a lot of people, I kinda love it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I very much enjoyed Joker in theaters but it has a very Nolanlike property of not inviting any sort of rewatch whatsoever.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Joker's got nothing on that front compared to Uncut Gems.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Joker is a giant nothingburger of a political statement. It's meaningless provocation with one of the cringiest monologues I've ever seen (when he finally sits down with Murray). All the "eat the rich" wallpaper ultimately amounts to nothing but more of Todd Phillips' meaningless cynicism. It's a feature length adaptation of the way Phillips' ended his GG Allin documentary, with voiceover narration lamenting that Allin never got to kill himself onstage "taking out four or five fans with him."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I very much enjoyed Joker in theaters but it has a very Nolanlike property of not inviting any sort of rewatch whatsoever.

I know what you mean, but I could probably watch The Dark Knight on repeat forever.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Haha, if only I'd known...

Went into this MOTM with the assumption that the forums wouldn't poo poo themselves this month

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 8, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TrixRabbi posted:

Joker is a giant nothingburger of a political statement. It's meaningless provocation with one of the cringiest monologues I've ever seen (when he finally sits down with Murray). All the "eat the rich" wallpaper ultimately amounts to nothing but more of Todd Phillips' meaningless cynicism. It's a feature length adaptation of the way Phillips' ended his GG Allin documentary, with voiceover narration lamenting that Allin never got to kill himself onstage "taking out four or five fans with him."

Sounds like he's p damaged to me

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TrixRabbi posted:

Well I ended up going down the rabbit hole of BBc's Dracula and Ep3 is so lovely that I might end up watching Joker tonight.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I like Joker.

Phoenix's performance is great. It's visually the best thing I've seen from Phillips. The music is good. The idea that an individual, suffering from delusions of grandeur being hosed by the fall-out of the closures of mental health resources under Reagan in the 80's, inadvertently causing class warfare is far more interesting to me than pretty much any MCU film or DC film.

It's not in my Top 10 of the year or anything, but it's pretty high on the list for me.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Joker was pretty alright and is definitely a cut above the usual comic book junk we get bombarded with. That said, the way the media framed it was pretty awful and I remember at least one outlet practically begging for a shooting to make their previous coverage more valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just pitched a music video to a band I am acquainted with and they love it so I'll probably be shooting that soon.

It of course heavily inspired by Chainsaw Scumfuck and features face melting a la Raiders of the Lost Arc, hand mutilation/pulverization, and ends with a homage to The Great Train Robbery (1903, d.p Jacob Blair Smith & Edwin S. Porter).