Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
No seriously it sucks
Yeah
No it's cool
I have a disability so it's actually pretty great
Stop being such a whiner
View Results

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

The_Continental posted:

The entire goal of these devices is to make it easier to purchase goods from their preferred service.

I'm a big smarthome booster and I buy everything but food and clothes online, but I disabled the ability to buy anything through Alexa and don't even use it for shopping lists to text to my phone. I might play fast and loose with my privacy, but giving Amazon my wallet that a child or a Parrot with a big mouth can tap into is loving nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I believe that the mere presence of these devices and seeding the thought that "I can purchase anything with my voice" puts people into a sort of "shopping mode" that's usually reserved for when they log into their amazon account, or are in a shopping center. I just feel that there is this insidious psychology to it. We've reached the point where utility is ultimately meaningless and supply is infinite from the vendors perspective. The only thing left to do is maximize the consumers desire to consume.

It's basically a harbinger of the cyberpunk hell world we are going to live in or probably already do except its not raining all the time and always night.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

The_Continental posted:

I believe that the mere presence of these devices and seeding the thought that "I can purchase anything with my voice" puts people into a sort of "shopping mode" that's usually reserved for when they log into their amazon account, or are in a shopping center. I just feel that there is this insidious psychology to it. We've reached the point where utility is ultimately meaningless and supply is infinite from the vendors perspective. The only thing left to do is maximize the consumers desire to consume.

It's basically a harbinger of the cyberpunk hell world we are going to live in or probably already do except its not raining all the time and always night.

I'm sitting in an armchair under the end of a conveyor belt. "Alexa, cheeseburger." The belt activates, dropping a cheeseburger into my mouth, which I eat.
"Alexa, cheeseburger."
"Alexa, cheeseburger."
"Alexa, cheeseburger."
"Alexa, cheeseburger."
"Alexa, cheeseburger."
"Alexa, cheeseburger."
"Alexa, cheeseburger."
For all of time. There is no more except cheeseburger.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Home automation will be the final nail in the coffin of the noble profession of housewife.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Grevling posted:

Home automation will be the final nail in the coffin of the noble profession of housewife.

That might be a good thing though, based on this article that really really really doesn't take a lot of things into account.
https://jacobinmag.com/2019/09/andrew-yang-universal-basic-income-ubi-betty-friedan-feminine-mystique
UBI without a lot of other regulation being in place is still not a great plan though.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

The only useful thing for home automation, in my opinion, is to have smart thermostat that lower temperature when you go to sleep and slowly turn it back up when it's about time you wake up. And like turn back down(or, in summer, stop the A/C) when you leave and vice versa when you come in. Everything else seems to be a waste of time and energy.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

The Human Crouton posted:

It makes dumb people feel slick. Every idiot has alexa, and the only thing they do with it is ask it to play music.

asking smart home enthusiasts to give three reasons why Alexa or Google home are useful is the funniest loving thing

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

null_pointer posted:

Okay, against my better judgement, I'll ask: is this a trollpost or is there actually a home automation component that will do this, because it would almost be worth installing for my wife, alone.

Just get her a tile tracker, they work both ways. You can also have her iphone ring via “find my” there’s probably an android equivalent too

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bleusilences posted:

The only useful thing for home automation, in my opinion, is to have smart thermostat that lower temperature when you go to sleep and slowly turn it back up when it's about time you wake up. And like turn back down(or, in summer, stop the A/C) when you leave and vice versa when you come in. Everything else seems to be a waste of time and energy.

Thermostats with a timer have been doing this for literal decades.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
I like automated gardening if you're horrible at it, dislike it, and live in a colder climate.

Things where you're in the bottom 5% it terms of suitability and doing it yourself is just a travesty and good for know one.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

This post is the best encapsulation of home automation and cat person psychology rolled into one, regarding the cat genie automatic litter box

quote:

When it works, it's awesome. We bought one when we moved to a new condo, and even had a closet built with a cutout to fit the device. Cat drops a deuce, Cat Genie scoops out deuce, grinds it into a slush and pumps it into your toilet. Easy!

Until it fucks up, and it will. I'm not sure how this guy just wound up with toasted turds. Ours wound up getting cat hair clogged in the pump impeller roughly once every 2-4 weeks. Then I'd get the pleasure of tearing apart a machine full of liquefied cat poo poo to get at the pump and pull out whatever clumps of cat hair and cat poo poo I could get my fingers on, all while immersed in liquid cat poo poo. It was a deeply unpleasant experience and after a year or so of this we gave up because nobody could take it anymore and we'd rather scoop poops twice a day then deal with the clogged up Cat Genie again.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
the cheap robotic vacuum that randomly bumps around my house does a surprisingly good job and I feel like I should set up a better thermostat system with some additional temperature sensors or something but everything else feels like a waste of time for the minimal benefits you get

also everyone please destroy your Alexa/GoogleHome corporate spy devices with a heavy, sturdy object, TY

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dreddout posted:

For my part, id like a robot to suck me off at exactly 11 pm each night. Sort of like a Roomba with a flexible arm that ends in a autoblow. It'd be nice if it cleaned itself as well. Really though I'm good with it having a cunpartment i could empty out every other week

What if instead of a robot it was a middle aged fat guy

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Just thinking of the owner of a fully automated house plopping down in an easy chair after a hard afternoon of watching his trust fund slowly rise turning on YouTube to a channel where some dude walks into a forest and builds a log cabin with the wood that he finds and thinking "I should do that someday."

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Oh, that reminds me, now that more manufactures are integrating home automation into their TVs you can get up to leave the room and say "Hey Google, Pause Den TV" and it will just do it.

It's really nice.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Three Olives posted:

Oh, that reminds me, now that more manufactures are integrating home automation into their TVs you can get up to leave the room and say "Hey Google, Pause Den TV" and it will just do it.

It's really nice.

This is another thing I hate, I don't want to have to talk over the show and wait for the second or two it takes before it finally pauses. That will never not annoy the poo poo out of me. Voice commands for searching are cool because I don't have to type the listing in with my remote, but that's also assuming the thing isn't some weird spelling and pronunciation I'm not aware of, or it actually hears me correctly.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

lol, but you read it :laugh:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

HerniaFlange posted:

This is another thing I hate, I don't want to have to talk over the show and wait for the second or two it takes before it finally pauses. That will never not annoy the poo poo out of me. Voice commands for searching are cool because I don't have to type the listing in with my remote, but that's also assuming the thing isn't some weird spelling and pronunciation I'm not aware of, or it actually hears me correctly.

It automatically lowers the volume on the TV when you say "OK Google".

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Three Olives posted:

It's really nice.

I was asked to write some reviews about fire TV sticks and Roku TV sticks, and I mentioned that having a voice remote seems like a solution to a problem no one has. With the sole exception of searching for a show being 15 seconds faster, it's absolutely more cumbersome in every other way.

Like sure I can say raise the volume, or I can just take two seconds to press the remote button five times. It's loving stupid.

E: I didn't look originally but ofc this is a 3O post

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 8, 2020

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

I used to work for a company that made commercial smart thermostats that would create a radio mesh network using zigbee protocol radios to send telemetry back to a browser based dash. There would be hundreds of them in high rise accounts the company had. The sales team would claim that they had a huge ROI since it curbed unneeded HVAC cycling; in no way did anyone at the company come close to proving this claim. When I was on my way out, they were starting to branch into lighting controls using the same radio protocol at which time I came across a youtube video that shows someone hacking zigbee radios in lighting controls broadcasting commands from a drone outside the building:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed1OjAuRARU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Lil Peeler posted:

I was asked to write some reviews about fire TV sticks and Roku TV sticks, and I mentioned that having a voice remote seems like a solution to a problem no one has. With the sole exception of searching for a show being 15 seconds faster, it's absolutely more cumbersome in every other way.

Like sure I can say raise the volume, or I can just take two seconds to press the remote button five times. It's loving stupid.

It's not a voice remote, the TV plugs into the home automation system so it controlled by your existing Google Homes/Alexas.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Three Olives posted:

It automatically lowers the volume on the TV when you say "OK Google".

Three Olives posted:

It's not a voice remote, the TV plugs into the home automation system so it controlled by your existing Google Homes/Alexas.

It's functionally the same on both counts. I can not talk over a single second of Letterkenny, they talk too fast.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Echos and Home Minis are basically just voice controlled music speakers. Who the gently caress even needs that?

It's not even worth the privacy you're giving up, there's so little value add.

The only useful thing the Echo Dot I got as a gift I've found is that I can pipe the audio from my Fire stick to near my bed for headphones, but I'm 30 so staying up late isn't as attractive as it was.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
In principle I kind of hate voice activation because talking to a machine makes me feel like a dumbass for some reason

a lot of phone trees use voice instead of touchtone (what was wrong with touchtone; are rotary phones back or something) now which is really annoying

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Echos and Home Minis are basically just voice controlled music speakers. Who the gently caress even needs that?

It's not even worth the privacy you're giving up, there's so little value add.

The only useful thing the Echo Dot I got as a gift I've found is that I can pipe the audio from my Fire stick to near my bed for headphones, but I'm 30 so staying up late isn't as attractive as it was.

Whole house audio, we have like 12 speakers strewn throughout our house that will sync for parties and such. I can also pull up the cameras on our smart displays so if someone like rings the doorbell and I'm getting out of the shower I can pull up the feed from the front door on the bathroom display and in the morning it tells me my meeting schedule and the time to get to work.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Computer, play Pulse Demon at max volume in Ted's room. Little poo poo is going to learn to get up in time for school in a hurry.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

The_Continental posted:

The entire goal of these devices is to make it easier to purchase goods from their preferred service. Alexa's "shopping list" functionality is absolutely its most important from Amazon's perspective. It allows you to spend money extremely easily. Instead of writing a list, going to a store, purchasing your goods and returning home you can just shout your immediate wants into the ether and be debited automatically. poo poo is so loving evil. While some might use it to replace basic needs like toilet paper and toothpaste I'd bet dollars to donuts that on average households that have an alexa or similar product have a statistically significantly higher portion of their income spent on online shopping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvnW89osj0g

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Big Tofu!

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

This rules, it's like a much worse version of cybperunk. I'm gonna create a botnet of thermostats and bluetooth dildos and retire while they mine bitcoins for me.

Telebite posted:

This was also good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJwuX3m1Bcs

"Eddie Furlong was a 15-year-old kid who couldn't act. You had to slap him awake every morning. I don't want to get into knocking people, but I was not a big Eddie Furlong fan." -Director John Flynn
Haha I love movies like this but this gem escaped my attention somehow.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bScsFi6DaoM

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Jenny Agutter posted:

Just get her a tile tracker, they work both ways. You can also have her iphone ring via “find my” there’s probably an android equivalent too

Jesus Christ I am out of touch, this might save me literally hours of frustration from my wife losing her phone / keys / wallet.

How are you home automation dudes doing the "find my phone" thing? Just having Alexa run an Android or iPhone app?

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Home automation is ideal for entertaining your animals eerily capable of imitating you.
Also they need to hang out with Super Abe-Chan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQsBLiB90Hk

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

null_pointer posted:

Jesus Christ I am out of touch, this might save me literally hours of frustration from my wife losing her phone / keys / wallet.

How are you home automation dudes doing the "find my phone" thing? Just having Alexa run an Android or iPhone app?

I just tried this with my $30 Echo dot and it worked. It didn't even need the Alexa app on my phone. It calls from some Amazon phone number (so this will not work if your wife keeps her phone on silent).

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

. It calls from some Amazon phone number (so this will not work if your wife keeps her phone on silent).

She does, so it wouldn't :(

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

null_pointer posted:

It’s automatically an app in iOS, I ping my phone or my kids a lot

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

null_pointer posted:

She does, so it wouldn't :(

Get her a Tile keychain. It will work if the phone is on silent. Bonus is it works both ways; she can also use her phone to find her keys.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get her an Apple Watch it can ping your phone even if it’s on silent plus reminds me to breathe and stand up and stuff and it tells me when I’ve gotten a lovely nights sleep which is always.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

null_pointer posted:

I keep hearing this is a thing that happens and I can't comprehend how. Put your keys where your keys go, your wallet where you wallet goes and your phone in an obvious place and you will never misplace them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Three Olives posted:

I keep hearing this is a thing that happens and I can't comprehend how. Put your keys where your keys go, your wallet where you wallet goes and your phone in an obvious place and you will never misplace them.

We drink sometimes 3o