Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Unless I'm ultra-hyped on a show, which I rarely am, I wait until all the episodes of the season are out to watch it anyway. This also conveniently lets me hear if the quality falls off a cliff at some point before I commit. Often a show takes so long to air that I lose interest before it all comes out and I end up skipping it entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It's really not about the viewer experience it's about how long a show is talked about. It's months of discussion vs a few weeks and the more press and activy around a show the better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I believe it's only on HBO/Now, but if you haven't seen Thoroughbreds you really need to. Just insanely good.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Finally made a decent dent into Mandalorian. I like it mainly due to I’m sucker for westerns and most things Star Wars. That said it is not that good. Acting is mostly bad and the most of the episodes are so typical you can guess what is going to happen in no time. I do feel like the show is getting a big pass by many due to Baby Yoda cuteness and the nostalgia for anything remotely cool that is Star Wars. Part is my fault due to I listen to the hype about it and got my hopes up. It is 2019’s version of Westworld when it comes to being overhyped.

Plan to finally watch The Witcher next, which I feel like is going to be a let down too (maybe it will be helped by me having no hype).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I believe it's only on HBO/Now, but if you haven't seen Thoroughbreds you really need to. Just insanely good.

My favorite movie from last year! So good.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
I like watching weekly released shows more than binging. I dunno, it feels more digestible, and I like the ritual of going, "oh yeah, it's Friday, there's a new ep of whatever!".

I know people always say I could just space them out myself, but a) that just doesnt feel the same and b) my wife is the exact opposite and hates waiting, so the fact that both models continue to exist is ideal for me here

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does anyone else find the pushback against the Netflix model of dropping an entire season to be weird? The arguments in favor to the traditional weekly model mostly all revolve around keeping hype around the show, rather than the content of the show itself. Hype being the most important thing.

For gently caress sake, don't bring back the old ways just because you want to savor baby Yoda memes.

Yeah it's dumb. I got some pushback in the Better Call Saul thread when I said every show should drop all at once at this point. Their argument was you can't really discuss the show which I don't really care about I just want to watch the show.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I mean, it doesn't bother me that they release it all at one time, but there is something to be said about the watercooler discussion. Every Monday at work we'd all talk about the Mandolorian, you lose that when it's all at one time. Sure people could watch it one episode a week when it's dropped all at once, but that's not the real reason why weekly works.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
To steal from Allan Speinwall, my only real issue with the Netflix model is how shows are becoming a 10 hour movie. Every episode doesn’t have to be a push to the finale. The best serialized shows know this (just look at the shows responsible for the golden age of HBO). This 10 hour movie thing didn’t happen because of serialization, it happen due to all episodes dropping at one time. It is almost like a crutch for the show runners.

I did enjoy watching Watchmen and Mr Robot weekly, but those shows know how to make each episode feel unique. Thinking about it I loved season 3 of Stranger Things for example, but I can’t think of one standout episode. While with Watchmen I can think of 2 amazing ones, and there are at least 3 episodes that standout to me this last season of Mr. Robot.

Also The Crown is the anti version of this too, and it drops all at one time. Despite having a running overall story/theme, each episode is like its own movie.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Dropping everything at once just feels like it feeds into an ADHD mentality of "get as much poo poo out as fast as possible", and that tends to not be in line with quality, most of the time. Dropping all episodes at once does mean people are more forgiving of mediocre shows, I feel. Like, if you're going to sit down and power through 10 hours of a show in 1-3 days, you're not really absorbing anything other than the highlights. You don't really have time to reflect on a show and if you even really like it or not; you just finish it than go to another.

If people are really concerned with being able to watch all episodes in one go, just wait until a season is over. If the show is actually worth you're time, you'll still want to watch it. It's okay to sometimes slow down.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I would rather spend a week watching 10 episodes of a show than 1 episode of 10 different shows in the same week.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

enigmahfc posted:

Dropping everything at once just feels like it feeds into an ADHD mentality of "get as much poo poo out as fast as possible", and that tends to not be in line with quality, most of the time. Dropping all episodes at once does mean people are more forgiving of mediocre shows, I feel. Like, if you're going to sit down and power through 10 hours of a show in 1-3 days, you're not really absorbing anything other than the highlights. You don't really have time to reflect on a show and if you even really like it or not; you just finish it than go to another.

If people are really concerned with being able to watch all episodes in one go, just wait until a season is over. If the show is actually worth you're time, you'll still want to watch it. It's okay to sometimes slow down.

Nah. Drop it all at once and let people choose.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

My fiancée wants to watch some US history documentaries since she’s forgotten everything from grade school. What are a good fee that range from beginnings to now?

Ken Burns's Civil War is pretty much the Gold Standard for US history documentaries. It doesn't hold the South's feet to the fire nearly enough for being a slave-based aggressor but it doesn't glorify the South either, so that's about as good as one can hope for from an American filmmaker.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

nate fisher posted:

Finally made a decent dent into Mandalorian. I like it mainly due to I’m sucker for westerns and most things Star Wars. That said it is not that good. Acting is mostly bad and the most of the episodes are so typical you can guess what is going to happen in no time. I do feel like the show is getting a big pass by many due to Baby Yoda cuteness and the nostalgia for anything remotely cool that is Star Wars. Part is my fault due to I listen to the hype about it and got my hopes up. It is 2019’s version of Westworld when it comes to being overhyped.

Plan to finally watch The Witcher next, which I feel like is going to be a let down too (maybe it will be helped by me having no hype).

I mostly agree, but I'll say this: There are other SF shows that developed into something I've really liked, have had weak first seasons. There's very little in S1 of Mandalorian that I'd ever want to rewatch, but the bits within the bits that were good, were solidly good. 7/10.

Mandalorian Season 1 was competently done and not-horrible for a Star Wars property and frankly I think the love it receives is half out of relief that not all Star Wars is trash.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

nate fisher posted:

It’s a Saturday morning kids’ serial about space pew pew battles. As long as you don’t expect anything other than that it’s perfectly fine. 12 year old me would have loved the poo poo out of it. I got to the prison episode and haven’t picked it up since. Not because it’s necessarily bad but because I don’t feel the need to see anymore, it’s not like there’s some complex story I’m going to miss the ending to. The acting is real loving bad though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm gonna watch the new season of Lost in Space, which IMO is an overall better show than Mando or the new Star Trek (which I haven't seen).

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

nate fisher posted:

I think it's kind of odd to compare it to Westworld since they are basically polar opposites. Westworld is convoluted and very layered with a grand overarching storyline / mystery to solve, The Mandalorian is simple and mostly episodic. People are enjoying The Mandalorian for that reason - it's refreshingly light and accessible when compared to a lot of other media out there. It's like the anti-Rise of Skywalker.

Hype is a powerful thing. Just realize that the number of people talking about something does not equate to how good it is. Sort of like rotten tomatoes vs. metacritic scores. Just because almost everyone thought it was enjoyable doesn't mean it's extremely good, just that it has wide appeal.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I'm gonna watch the new season of Lost in Space, which IMO is an overall better show than Mando or the new Star Trek (which I haven't seen).

it is pretty much just like Season 1, so if you liked that, you'll be ok with this.

Formula is the same: every other episode a new wrinkle messes up the Robinson's Space Vacation. Queue the rotation of family members (including Smith) contributing a solution to this crisis. Each crisis usually spans two episodes.

I enjoy it for what it is. It isn't grimdark sci-fi; it is a family show. The kind of thing I'd have watched with my grandad when I was little. Like those Sunday night (Disney?) adventure shows in the 80s.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Glottis posted:

I think it's kind of odd to compare it to Westworld since they are basically polar opposites. Westworld is convoluted and very layered with a grand overarching storyline / mystery to solve, The Mandalorian is simple and mostly episodic. People are enjoying The Mandalorian for that reason - it's refreshingly light and accessible when compared to a lot of other media out there. It's like the anti-Rise of Skywalker.

Hype is a powerful thing. Just realize that the number of people talking about something does not equate to how good it is. Sort of like rotten tomatoes vs. metacritic scores. Just because almost everyone thought it was enjoyable doesn't mean it's extremely good, just that it has wide appeal.

I only meant to compare it to Westworld (season 1) in relation to what I perceived as over hyped by some, not in the actual content. I do get what you are saying about enjoying a show vs. extremely good, and I do think the Saturday morning comparison is perfect. If I knew that going in I would had the right expectations. I think the biggest shock to me was how light it was, but in the end it is a nice palate cleanser. To be clear my hype came from what I suspected now is people who are a little too pro-Disney+, and the fact it showed up on several top 10 list. Still I do enjoy it for what it is, and I will get Disney+ again when season 2 is released in full.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 8, 2020

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Medullah posted:

I mean, it doesn't bother me that they release it all at one time, but there is something to be said about the watercooler discussion. Every Monday at work we'd all talk about the Mandolorian, you lose that when it's all at one time. Sure people could watch it one episode a week when it's dropped all at once, but that's not the real reason why weekly works.

This is why I like the scheduled release too. When Game of Thrones was good that was 10 weeks of watching, talking about and thinking about the show, anticipating the next episode, being in the same shared experience as everyone else who tunes in to watch it. When it's all dropped at once it turns into five minutes of "have you watched Sneaky Pete?" "Yeah I finished it last weekend. It's not bad."

Just because some people want ice cream for dinner doesn't make Netflix a hero for giving it to them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nah. When we'd talk about it at work we'd have to be careful because some people would wait a couple weeks to catch up because of life or whatever. Wouldn't have made a difference had they (properly) dropped the season all at once since everyone was at different point anyway.

It's getting your meal all at once instead of a side per day not having ice cream for dinner.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've binged several drama series where I had the very specific feeling "drat, if I was watching this week to week I would have HATED this show."

Am I the only person who can't stand loving cliffhangers? Cheap pointless cliffhangers are the most annoying thing about appointment TV and the new "golden age" of dramas is loving rotten with them. Not every episode of a show has to be a chapter from a Goosebumps book!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've binged several drama series where I had the very specific feeling "drat, if I was watching this week to week I would have HATED this show."

Am I the only person who can't stand loving cliffhangers? Cheap pointless cliffhangers are the most annoying thing about appointment TV and the new "golden age" of dramas is loving rotten with them. Not every episode of a show has to be a chapter from a Goosebumps book!

That's why I was always a fan of the classic mini-series. Have a story tel tell, get it done, and it is over. No second season, no sequel, nothing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

pumped up for school posted:

I enjoy it for what it is. It isn't grimdark sci-fi; it is a family show. The kind of thing I'd have watched with my grandad when I was little. Like those Sunday night (Disney?) adventure shows in the 80s.
Yeah, reminds me of Sunday night Disney stuff also. It's true to its roots (overall hokey for its time but Dr. Smith is an unsettling personality in both the old show and new one) but also feels like a show from the late 2010's.

My kid's still real young, so maybe that's why I don't see Mando as a family show. Maybe a dad and 10 year old son show. The murders in Mandalorian aren't as anonymous as in the OT Star Wars movies, I'm seeing figures get shot, stabbed, other stuff, at least one stormtrooper gets barbecued in his plastic armor. Sand people are people now, but Jawas (which again are on every planet I guess) are lesser I guess? I'm fine with it all, but being dumb, simple, and Star Wars doesn't make it family, it's a boy's show.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ozmunkeh posted:

It’s a Saturday morning kids’ serial about space pew pew battles. As long as you don’t expect anything other than that it’s perfectly fine. 12 year old me would have loved the poo poo out of it. I got to the prison episode and haven’t picked it up since. Not because it’s necessarily bad but because I don’t feel the need to see anymore, it’s not like there’s some complex story I’m going to miss the ending to. The acting is real loving bad though.
FWIW I felt the same way as the both of you about The Mandalorian with the exception of the very last episode, which I would call a genuinely good episode of TV.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah, reminds me of Sunday night Disney stuff also. It's true to its roots (overall hokey for its time but Dr. Smith is an unsettling personality in both the old show and new one) but also feels like a show from the late 2010's.

My kid's still real young, so maybe that's why I don't see Mando as a family show. Maybe a dad and 10 year old son show. The murders in Mandalorian aren't as anonymous as in the OT Star Wars movies, I'm seeing figures get shot, stabbed, other stuff, at least one stormtrooper gets barbecued in his plastic armor. Sand people are people now, but Jawas (which again are on every planet I guess) are lesser I guess? I'm fine with it all, but being dumb, simple, and Star Wars doesn't make it family, it's a boy's show.

To clarify, I meant Lost in Space only. I haven't watched Mandalorian or the new Trek; so can't speak to those.

Speaking of unsettling: At some point I conflated all my old memories of the old Lost in Space show so that Anthony Perkins played Dr. Smith. I had at least a decade of "false" memories of just how hosed up he was as a character, mixing bits and pieces of Norman Bates in there. In my head now that's a pretty good show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Should I give Lost in Space a fair chance? I thought it looked cool but back when it came out people were talking crap about it so much I just never bothered watching it.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

veni veni veni posted:

Should I give Lost in Space a fair chance? I thought it looked cool but back when it came out people were talking crap about it so much I just never bothered watching it.

It’s perfectly fine but is one of those shows where every calamitous problem would be easily solved in five minutes if any of the characters actually talked to each other. Its a light family adventure show so that’s somewhat expected but it will start to grate after a while. The second season is marginally better in that respect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wow, must be real nice to have a job with a water cooler and the ability to talk around it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

precision posted:

Wow, must be real nice to have a job with a water cooler and the ability to talk around it.

Speaking as a person whose coworkers won't shut up about The Mandalorian:

Not really.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was gonna say, the value people are putting on water cooler talk here seems...too high.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

"what am I going to talk about for 10 seconds once a week with the people I care about the least, if Netflix keeps dumping these, full glorious seasons on me? The weather?"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah honestly I think that's the point of water cooler talk. You talk about inane poo poo like tv and sports so Janet won't pry into poo poo that's none of her goddamn business.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

veni veni veni posted:

I was gonna say, the value people are putting on water cooler talk here seems...too high.

No way, most people are dehydrated and it's good to make sure you're getting at least 8 cups a day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm kidding, of course I've worked tech support before

why on earth would I want to talk to my Co workers there

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I dunno.

I've had pretty good conversations with my friends and/or co-workers about poo poo like that at work. It's either that or bitch about end users.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

veni veni veni posted:

I think it's a good show, but not a great one. You can miss it without "missing out." There are shows that hook me and I binge them, and this is not one of them. This is a show I remember to go back to later, like my Cozy British Murder shows.

ozmunkeh posted:

It’s perfectly fine but is one of those shows where every calamitous problem would be easily solved in five minutes if any of the characters actually talked to each other. Its a light family adventure show so that’s somewhat expected but it will start to grate after a while. The second season is marginally better in that respect.
This is mostly true. Lost in Space is about the characters and relationships, which goes a long way toward making it family-style entertainment IMO. The problems they encounter are specifically there to cause conflict, bolster relationships, overcome personal obstacles, that sort of thing. They don't lead to glorious shootouts, they're not very technical or philosophical in a Star Trek way, and the show probably won't get weird, like Farscape. I'd personally like to see the show get more hardcore survivey, like The Martian or something, but it's a family relationship show, not hard SF.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ozmunkeh posted:

every calamitous problem would be easily solved in five minutes if any of the characters actually talked to each other.

What would prevent most calamities are tethers. At least half of all the poo poo that happens starts with someone falling off something, which is kind of funny. But it's also how they found the robot so not being tethered saved the Robinson's lives.

I really enjoy the show though. It's dumb family friendly action adventure with a positive message and a deeply disturbed effective antagonist. It's exactly the kind of show my whole family likes to watch together.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
You guys must be lucky. I work with a bunch of people with the ideal of TV watercooler conversation is (at least the last time I pay attention years ago) what happen on Big Bang Theory, The Walking Dead, or some reality show (The Voice or some crap). When I asked if anyone watched 'insert prestige show name' they would look at me like I was crazy. The only shows that did cross over to them (during their air dates) was a few watched Mad Men (several of them found it boring) and the other was Breaking Bad. They call me the office hipster because they think I am a pretentious rear end in a top hat when it comes to TV viewing. I guess I need to stop saying things like 'I don't watch network TV anymore'. I am an rear end in a top hat to be honest.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Most folks who posts on SA are pretentious assholes when it comes to our media consumption. That's why it's great. I work with a bunch of folks who have pretty solid media literacy and taste, but even so I'm far and away the most pretentious rear end in a top hat of the group. It's certainly better than previous work environments where it felt like I couldn't relate to anyone on the subject at all, but even in this job at a certain point I see my coworkers' eyes glaze over when I delve too far into anything.