Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

It is currently puking snow in Calgary. Powder day tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have a 2009 Custom Camber and they are a narrow as gently caress board. I also have a '14 Juice Wagon, which is very similar to the old super model. both are 157s and the Juice Wagon has like a solid 2" length and about 1.5" extra width in the middle.

The Juice Wagon is still a rather lovely powder board however. HEAPS of fun for smashing down groomers and ripping big turns, but I want something with a better camber profile for deeper snow I think.

because the JW makes me happy on my home turf of Australia I'll probably get a very powder centric board for these OS trips. hopefully something grabs my eye while Im in Nelson.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Something that I noticed while I was skiing was that it felt like my heel was coming up from the bottom of my boot when I was really digging in on turns. I had my boots buckled as tightly as I could without my legs cramping without being horribly uncomfortable. Should this be happened or is this a sign that I might have worn out my current boots? I've also probably lost 40 pounds since I bought these boots so my maybe my feet are just less fat?

Perhaps the liner is getting a bit padded down with age. I had a problem with my heel lifting up in my boots and I purchased a heel wedge and that was an inexpensive fix to that problem. The only issue with a heel wedge is that it my cant you forward ever so slightly.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

highme posted:

Definitely should get a wide as Burton waist widths, especially on the custom, are pretty narrow. Also, depending on what you mean by "all mountain" the FA is definitely in that wheelhouse. It's a pretty fun board, I would have purchased one a few years ago if the waist widths weren't tiny.

knowing what you know about Mt Hood and the differences between the Flight Attendant and the Custom what do you think I'd be better served by?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Perhaps the liner is getting a bit padded down with age. I had a problem with my heel lifting up in my boots and I purchased a heel wedge and that was an inexpensive fix to that problem. The only issue with a heel wedge is that it my cant you forward ever so slightly.

You can counteract any forward lean from a heel wedge by adjusting your cuff angle. Probably want to go to a boot fitter for that though

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

MMD3 posted:

what size did you get? Custom Camber is definitely what I'm leaning towards, not sure that I know enough about what differentiates the Flight Attendant but it seems like Custom is the way to go for all mountain.

I'm like 5'11 190 w/ size 11 boot. I think it's between 158 and 158W as my foot size is kind of right on the border.

I got a 156. I’m 5’10 160 size 10 boot though.
Like other people have said, I’d go with the wide.
I haven’t ridden it myself so I can’t speak from experience, but what I’ve been told is that the Flight Attendant is basically your powder-oriented Custom

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

5’11 200 11.5 and went with Custom wide. No regrets

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Can I get a quick recommendation for binding angle settings for an absolute beginner on a snowboard? I currently have them set up with +15 / 0 , and am wondering if that is the best to start with, or should I go with a +15/ -15 ?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Whatever feels comfortable to you.

I prefer my stance more duck footed, so I am currently riding at 18/-18. My wife rides around 15/-12 or 12/-9.

Play around with it and see how you feel. It's pretty quick to change it up to dial in what feels best for you.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

15,-6 here. Spend some time adjusting then and see what you like.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

15/0 is a good place to start.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Setting up your gear in the living room, with bindings sitting loose on the board is good for playing around until something feels right.

Just imagine yourself shredding. Sound effects not optional.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Opening up my stance made me go from feeling like I was going to fall down constantly to feeling in complete control of the board. The Custom is a finicky board though.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MMD3 posted:

knowing what you know about Mt Hood and the differences between the Flight Attendant and the Custom what do you think I'd be better served by?

First off, how in the gently caress is the Custom $50 more (retail) than the FA? I guess since it's out of the Family Tree line it's no longer "premium". Secondly, that decision is more about your riding style than Hood. If you still fancy some laps through the park while riding switch, I'd go with the Custom. If, like me, your knees can't handle that much time in the park, don't ride switch as much as you used to, and would really rather be in powder at all times, then the FA is the better choice. A hybrid camber profile with an early rise nose in pow is loving great.

Oh yeah, I'm at 18/6 (or so) these days for stance angles on my directional boards and 15/-15 for my twin that's barely ridden.

Edit: oh, and it looks like most of the west coast is going to get hammered with snow next week with snow levels on the valley floor for the PNW.

highme fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 8, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Knee deep powder in Paradise bowl. I did find a rock but it was connected to the mountain so

Amazing amazing day so far god my legs not gonna be happy

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
3 inbounds slides on 2 runs at Silver Mountain in Idaho. 2 deaths and 5 survivors from the slides. The last person to be found was buried under 10 feet of snow.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Booked for Killington first weekend of March, hell yeah Ice Coast

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Inbounds but important to note closed areas of the mountain.

highme
May 25, 2001

Yuns posted:

3 inbounds slides on 2 runs at Silver Mountain in Idaho. 2 deaths and 5 survivors from the slides. The last person to be found was buried under 10 feet of snow.

HookShot posted:

I saw that on the TV at the gym this AM and didn't get much in the way of detail and had since forgotten to look it up.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HookShot posted:

Thanks for the clarification. I had read somewhere else that the terrain had just opened after avy control work.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yuns posted:

Thanks for the clarification. I had read somewhere else that the terrain had just opened after avy control work.

Spokane news said it opened about an hour before. So now I am confused.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh the news article I read said that the terrain was closed due in part to the high avy danger. I guess eventually the truth will come out.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It had opened, the first people on it set it off.

Silver was closed today and they're out there looking for another missing person.

First person account

quote:

01/07/2020
Personal Summery by Bill Fuzak
Avalanche burial at Silver Mountain Ski Area / Wardner Traverse / 16 to 1 run
On Tuesday Jan 7, 2020 around 11 AM I was involved in and consequently fully buried for approximately 50 minutes in an inbounds avalanche at Silver Mountain Ski and Snowboard Park. The avalanche occurred in a recently opened part of the ski area where over 20 inches of new snow had fallen in two days.
I was part of a group of 10+ skiers and boarders that had entered the Wardner Traverse area and started setting a ski packed path on the Traverse. We had been waiting for the rope to drop for the area and entered the traverse only after the closed sign had been removed and with a Silver Mountain Ski Patrol member giving the verbal ok to “start cutting the traverse ourselves or wait for a Ski Patroller to break trail on the traverse”. I personally heard the conversation with the 3 lead skiers and the patroller as I was the 4th person going out onto the newly cut traverse. Our understanding was avalanche mitigation with explosive charges had been completed off the top of Wardner Peak before skiers and boarders entered the then uncut traverse.
The going was slow and all but 6 or 7 riders of the original group dropped into glades prior to reaching the run named 16 to 1. The three lead skiers dropped in to ski the fresh snow about a third of the way across 16 to1. The rest of us, appx 4 or 5 people, dropped in closer to the tree edge. After only one or two turns the snow started to fracture above us as well as below us and the slide started to propagate and accelerate. I heard a female voice over my right shoulder, I think it was Rebecca, say calmly that “it’s giving way, try to stay on top”. I lost my left ski almost immediately and fell backwards while trying to release my right ski to no avail. A few seconds later while swimming to try and stay on top of the slide it slowed and pulled me down completely under the snow. As the moving snow ground to a halt and compressed around me I started punching upwards with my right fist to create an air hole above me. I was able to successfully reach the surface with my right fist and then started creating space around my mouth and face to get air. When I had air flowing unobstructed into the hole I had created I started waving my gloved hand out the air hole hoping someone would see me. I also shouted for help for several seconds before calming down. I was glad to have air and thought I had a good chance to be rescued.
Within seconds, another, more powerful slide hit and buried my breathing hole under what felt like feet of snow. I heard and felt the snow compress around me and I was unable to move anything but my right hand to clear my face and mouth. At this point I tried to calm my breathing and conserve air. I don’t know how long I stayed conscious after that. I had already relegated myself to the inevitable as I knew the air would not last long. I was in no pain and knew I wasn’t injured. I’m really surprised how calm I felt but knew there was nothing I could do but wait and pray.
The first thing I remember when coming back to consciousness was a group of rescuers cheering that a survivor had been located, me. I cannot express the surprise and relief I felt to hear and see other people digging me out. Ski patroller Bill held my hand and helped keep me calm as he and the others helped dig me out as I was buried upright in the deep snow. Apparently, my lips were blue when they unburied me and I was initially unconscious. My hands and feet were extremely cold but I was uninjured, breathing and moving well. I was elated to still be “here”. I was more than ready to get out of my encasement, afraid that a 3rd slide would bury me again. Bill asked me about other members of the party I was aware of. I thought there were at least 3 others buried in my general vicinity. I believe Ski Patroller Maya Pardue found me with her probe then other volunteers came over to help dig me out. Maya, thanks for sticking to it, finding me and consequently saving my life. I am eternally grateful to you and your group of patrollers.
During and after extrication Patroller Bill checked me over and concluded I was not severely injured. I was able to walk and with help load into a toboggan attached to a snowmobile. A snowmobile driver and Ski Patroller Bill transported me down to the snow cat maintenance facility to be checked out by local medical professionals and warmed up. I sat with and spoke with another rescued local skier named Ken who had also been buried for 50 minutes. He also survived by creating an air space and through the incredible efforts of Ski Patrol and other volunteers on scene. I was interviewed extensively by the Sheriff as well as the head of Silver Mountain Ski Patrol in the Ski patrol office.
I cannot give enough thanks and compliments for the effort shown by the Silver Mountain Ski Patrol, Search and Rescue volunteers as well as other skiers and riders that played a role in saving my life and the other riders lives. My family especially wants to thank them all for saving us. My heart goes out to the families of the two riders that did not survive.
Sincerely,
Bill Fuzak

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...174970#1174970

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

jesus christ

guess it's time for beacon + probe + shovel inbounds on powder days

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That's insane, holy poo poo.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

I have done this a few times.

With the pressure on patrol to open terrain it is probably a really good idea almost anytime you go into some terrain at certain places.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Spime Wrangler posted:

jesus christ

:whitewater:

Going to have to take an avy course I think, because we were chatting on the lift about how some of the tracks looked like slab fractures from up high. Fortunately folks were respecting the closed areas yesterday.

Never skied powder that deep. Its much harder than I expected, or my technique just sucks

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Our pack is so funky still too.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Having to look at this on your first day back in the office is just painful. :smith:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

bawfuls posted:

Definitely get boots now and skis later. You can get boots now that will work for touring later, and that’d be ideal. Try different skis this season and get a better feel for what works. Maybe grab something cheap off craigslist until you narrow the gap between ski and board ability. Because at that point you’re going to form stronger preferences about what you want out of a ski and whatever you buy now won’t fit those needs.

Thanks for the advice! I ended up picking up a set of Atomic Hawx Ultra XTDs that should work for touring as well, going to start demoing skis now. My wife is very exited to not have to tow me through flats anymore!

highme
May 25, 2001

spwrozek posted:

I have done this a few times.

With the pressure on patrol to open terrain it is probably a really good idea almost anytime you go into some terrain at certain places.

I imagine the immediate reaction industry-wide will be to be even more cautious when it comes to opening that terrain.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Having avy gear and education is definitely a good thing, but it's still really really rare for slides to happen inbounds. I've definitely had occasions where I thought maybe it would be smart to have that stuff and be with someone else right now but I don't particularly worry about it.

In other news our local hill had this happen last week

That's the upper chair, which really makes me wish I had bc stuff because you can still hike or skin up to the top.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Oh hey, 3rd time out this season and broken fibula. Good times.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

regulargonzalez posted:

drat! Sorry to hear that and hope you heal up soon. How did you do that?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Yuns posted:

drat! Sorry to hear that and hope you heal up soon. How did you do that?

Person I was with really wanted to do this icy-rear end black. I'm low-mid intermediate and should have known better but that peer pressure.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Avy gear and training is all well and good, but it was pretty chilling to read that guy doing everything right, finding an air pocket for himself and then the next layer came and covered him up.

regulargonzalez posted:

Get well soon!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I hope you feel better soon! Sorry to hear about the accident. Maybe you will luck out and we will have another season with places open until July and you might be able to get a few more rides in!

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
I'm in the market for new bindings and haven't kept pace on this sort of thing for a long time. I'm currently riding an Arbor A-Frame. As such, I'm very much focused on carving and will never set foot in a park. My current bindings are circa ~1997 so anything is going to be an upgrade.Currently looking towards the Arbor Cypress but they are a bit spendy.

Any other options I might consider?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I just got some Now Drive bindings and are very happy. They got a stiffer version still, but that would be too much for me. Not exactly cheap, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Everyone I know with Arbor bindings hates them.