Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Okada cried when he lost the second time, it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The discourse around Ibushi for years was that he just needed to sign and he would get a rocket strapped to him. So his first year after signing being that he got some wins against main eventers and then gave them all back within months is hilarious. Even if it was all technically the right booking, it's hilarious.

He should go to AEW though because that would rule.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kota Ibushi will get banned from Dalys Place.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

The discourse around Ibushi for years was that he just needed to sign and he would get a rocket strapped to him. So his first year after signing being that he got some wins against main eventers and then gave them all back within months is hilarious. Even if it was all technically the right booking, it's hilarious.

He should go to AEW though because that would rule.

As I recall, the discourse was that he didn't get any major titles because he wasn't under a real contract. Since he signed he's been IC champ and won the G1, and he hasn't even been under contract for a year. That ain't exactly a burial.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cerebral Bore posted:

As I recall, the discourse was that he didn't get any major titles because he wasn't under a real contract. Since he signed he's been IC champ and won the G1, and he hasn't even been under contract for a year. That ain't exactly a burial.

He has absolutely been pushed at a higher level than he ever had been since signing. He would not have won the G1 and the IC Title as a freelancer and he absolutely would not have main evented the dome against Okada as a freelancer. And him losing to Okada was the correct call. I'm. Less sure that him losing to Jay was the right call if Jay's next move isn't a feud for the title at NB, but Jay's the top heel, so, whatever, I'm not gonna question it.

I just think it's really, really funny that his first dome after finally signing, he's losing twice in a row.

And completely independent of all of this, he should go to AEW when his contract expires next year, because Ibushi in AEW would be the poo poo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

They probably could have done without the bronze medal match, although it’s hard to figure out what else to do with them in that case that you can announce in advance

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.

coconono posted:

Okada cried when he lost the second time, it was great.

This was the second NJPW match I saw and I thought crying was just something that Japanese wrestlers did after they lost, like due to immense shame.

Fad fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 6, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Telling Ibushi to go to AEW is much less funny than the past few years where people would be begging the loser of the Dome Main Event to go to WWE instead. Still pretty funny though.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Ibushi is a wrestling robot and I need him to do a moonsault wearing a barrel so either be signs with AEW or gets permission to work next year's Great Space War

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

coconono posted:

Kota Ibushi will get a statue built of him at Dalys Place.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

He has absolutely been pushed at a higher level than he ever had been since signing. He would not have won the G1 and the IC Title as a freelancer and he absolutely would not have main evented the dome against Okada as a freelancer. And him losing to Okada was the correct call. I'm. Less sure that him losing to Jay was the right call if Jay's next move isn't a feud for the title at NB, but Jay's the top heel, so, whatever, I'm not gonna question it.

I just think it's really, really funny that his first dome after finally signing, he's losing twice in a row.

And completely independent of all of this, he should go to AEW when his contract expires next year, because Ibushi in AEW would be the poo poo.

The idea of Kota Ibushi living full-time in a foreign country is cruel & unusual punishment.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

coconono posted:

Kota Ibushi will get banned from Dalys Place.

No lie I would love to see what crazy poo poo would get Tony’s dad to tell his son to ban Ibushi from the amphitheater. Sounds like 6 stars at least.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
AEW gets banned from Jacksonville when Ibushi does a moonsault on to Jaxson De Ville from the uprights.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Psycho Mode Ibushi join the Dark Order

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
He’s been champ for... three days? Yeah already bored let’s move on!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

He’s been champ for... three days? Yeah already bored let’s move on!

He's not even had a good title defence, the loving scrub.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

List of G1 climax winners who went on to lose at the dome:

Okada (twice)
Naito (twice)
Tanahashi
Kenny Omega

Clearly, winning the climax then losing at the dome is a ticket to nowhere.

Does it count if Hirooki Goto won the G1 and then didn't even wrestle for the title

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Does it count if Hirooki Goto won the G1 and then didn't even wrestle for the title

IIRC he challenged Mutoh for it on an AJPW show

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Was that before the briefcase became a thing though? I wasn't watching then but Wiki says Okada is the first person to win a briefcase with challenge rights from the G1.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Was that before the briefcase became a thing though? I wasn't watching then but Wiki says Okada is the first person to win a briefcase with challenge rights from the G1.

That was the first time challenging on 1/4 became a thing. Before that, the G1 winner would usually get a title shot somewhere else.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

This is a correct take

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

At least he has the guts to post his bad opinions. I know all of you haters and losers that were ragging on us proud Naitailures for months want this but don't have the guts to say it. :colbert:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MJeff posted:

At least he has the guts to post his bad opinions. I know all of you haters and losers that were ragging on us proud Naitailures for months want this but don't have the guts to say it. :colbert:

I absolutely want it

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Naito's title run should be exactly like Tanahashi's: Lose it to the Knife Perv in his first defense

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

extradite THIS! posted:

Naito's title run should be exactly like Tanahashi's: Lose it to the Knife Perv in his first defense

:hmmyes:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

extradite THIS! posted:

Naito's title run should be exactly like Tanahashi's

I think 404 days might be a tad long, but hey if you insist.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can work with him holding both belts for a year and then losing the HW championship in the Shooter Shock.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/TOmega79/status/1214877306910576640?s=19

Wow it's like someone put the brain of a WWE fan inside an NJPW fan.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I feel like the first post in that thread is key, because that is literally what happened.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

as much as I love Naito's hair it should be more like Tanahashi's hair

back on topic:
https://twitter.com/ArmbarAudio/status/1214972024843620352?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sticky Nate posted:

as much as I love Naito's hair it should be more like Tanahashi's hair

back on topic:
https://twitter.com/ArmbarAudio/status/1214972024843620352?s=19

I sort of have limited sympathy with this view because for years I didn't watch Japanese shows because of the lack of commentary. And having English commentary really helped with letting me know who Goto is and who Ishii is and what they are about so that by the time I got to shows with no commentary or only Japanese commentary and it wasn't a big deal.

But I'm watching a DDT show right now and I'm not a regular DDT viewer so I only know who is who in this tag match because one team has Shinya Aoki on it who I know from MMA and the other has the Masa Takanashi guy I know from Gatoh Move.

So for a dumbo who speaks just one language it's definitely just a bit of familiarity to reduce the intimidation factor a little. I watch Dragon Gate and there can be an awful lot of talking where you are just confused.

But then he uses Stardom as an example and they subtitle the pre-match promos and make it very easy for a new viewer to feel comfortable so loses me there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

I sort of have limited sympathy with this view because for years I didn't watch Japanese shows because of the lack of commentary. And having English commentary really helped with letting me know who Goto is and who Ishii is and what they are about so that by the time I got to shows with no commentary or only Japanese commentary and it wasn't a big deal.

But I'm watching a DDT show right now and I'm not a regular DDT viewer so I only know who is who in this tag match because one team has Shinya Aoki on it who I know from MMA and the other has the Masa Takanashi guy I know from Gatoh Move.

So for a dumbo who speaks just one language it's definitely just a bit of familiarity to reduce the intimidation factor a little. I watch Dragon Gate and there can be an awful lot of talking where you are just confused.

But then he uses Stardom as an example and they subtitle the pre-match promos and make it very easy for a new viewer to feel comfortable so loses me there.

Stardom's subtitled promos are half of why I still subscribe. Incredible content.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah the stardom show format is loving great.

speaking of whiners

https://twitter.com/KatieVickAlive/status/1215099936536236032

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Jim Ross does suck though.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

coconono posted:

yeah the stardom show format is loving great.

speaking of whiners

https://twitter.com/KatieVickAlive/status/1215099936536236032

https://twitter.com/KatieVickAlive/status/1215105644761616385?s=20

He got worked

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm not worked you're worked

https://twitter.com/KatieVickAlive/status/1215106013688258560

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

sweve

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

legitimately though how do y'all find some of these people, i've never seen less engagement on these tweets. they're just posting into a void

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
At Katie Vick alive