Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Agean90 posted:

The only thing funnier than watching all this happen is seeing people outside the forums watch it happen

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1215079879345086464?s=20

In order to save the town it must be destroyed

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

Mods behaving like corporate leadership where they all have to go away and come up with a standard line to sell to everyone is part of the loving problem, and the fact that they can't see it is gobsmacking. Squizzle coming to the thread yesterday and saying "We're working on a long post bare with us" is what the problem actually is you maroons.

KM is cool, LK is cool, Squizzle is my posting pal and I'm sure he will be cool. They're people who engage at a personal level in their communities and pretty obviously don't see themselves as "leadership." They serve the people who they moderate and are flexible and welcoming to members of their community. No one should be run out for bad judgment as long as the community that they help steward views the lapse in judgment as understandable and supports them through it. That's the loving point.

Being an admin of a dead comedy forum is not being an executive, and if you treat it like it is, you're part of the problem.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lightning Knight posted:

It's in Test/Moved right now actually, which is not the mod forum but is also not visible to regular members. That was me.

Mods don't have each others contact information openly posted, only SA emails and Discord stuff. I think admins may speak to each other on the phone but that's something they do on their own.

So to be clear, you personally moved at risk poster info to a safer place and apart from mod contact info, that is all in the mod forums? And there is no other offsite info in them?

That if that is all, is fine as long as it didnt leak.

Where I'm coming from here is that there is the appearence that information of people was gathered from offsite and what I can understand at least one moderator or admin has been archiving said information from Party Plane Jones. I'm not exactly inclined to just accept the reasoning given and I'm definitely not inclined to accept it's appropriate behavior at all esp especially as it appears to be in an unaccountable way.

The unaccountable bit is what I think is the real not acceptable part. I personally would be utterly livid if a mod or admin was trying to archive info on me from offsite and I would be demanding they be permabanned, which would not be an unresonable request. What assurance do I have, apart from the fact I am not part of nazi discords, do I have this has not taken place?

I hope this does highlight what I believe is a serious issue.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1215096591205355520

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i am currently operating multiple black operations inside various discords and i can report

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mods are not gathering and archiving information on posters for later use.

Sometimes when a chat thread gets targeted by offsite (or onsite) psychopaths and that thread contains a lot of personal information on those posters, it gets moved to a hidden forum so that people won't be able to scrape it for information on those posters.

This is a wholly separate process from... whatever the gently caress was going on with PPJ.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's wild how bad some of those GBS threads are yet CSPAM seems to be the only forum getting needed mod attention.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Still the best Bond movie theme.

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017
thinking of our comrades who remain falsely imprisoned...

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Beet Wagon posted:

Sometimes when a chat thread gets targeted by offsite (or onsite) psychopaths and that thread contains a lot of personal information on those posters, it gets moved to a hidden forum so that people won't be able to scrape it for information on those posters.

This is a wholly separate process from... whatever the gently caress was going on with PPJ.

This is probably the simplest way to answer this question.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's wild how bad some of those GBS threads are yet CSPAM seems to be the only forum getting needed mod attention.

Yah its telling

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I want to thank LK and all the former mods for their input.

I'd like if we had our own mods here to address any of this, but the only active one is green as all hell and I don't expect him to have any information or anything worth apologizing for.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

crime against humanity if the secret mod forum i can never see is not renamed to this

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Big ups to wampa lord for keeping the disingenuous posters away

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Thst is what I am seeking an assurance on, that any info that is in the mods forum is being handled correctly and with good reason.

That is a seperate issue to the mods working without any oversight to gather info from offsite for.... whatever the hell they were doing is completely unacceptable.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Permabanning of the Poster Crazy Cloud by the Coward Party Plane Jones

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

that was a mod, singular and they already permad themselves

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Suplex Liberace posted:

Big ups to wampa lord for keeping the disingenuous posters away
to the fyad posters who got sent to kitty jail, this is a cspam thread about cspam issues and not about fyad!!1

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

razorrozar posted:

The Permabanning of the Poster Crazy Cloud by the Coward Party Plane Jones

Is Captain McLaine the same as PPJ?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Agean90 posted:

Another mod stated to holding "gigs" of info received from PPJ - or was this claim recinded?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Agean90 posted:

Who's activities were generally condoned by the other mods and when people complained none of them gave a poo poo. And then when it turns out CSPAM were right about PPJ they still haven't reversed his actions or made amends.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Ayn Randi posted:

a student asks his master "roshi, do nazi mods have the buddha-nature"? the master replies USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Secret Hitler: C-SPAM Edition

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redneck nazgul posted:

I want to thank LK and all the former mods for their input.

I'd like if we had our own mods here to address any of this, but the only active one is green as all hell and I don't expect him to have any information or anything worth apologizing for.

Squizzle wakes up excited to start his new job as a moderator on SomethingAwful.com

*PPJ drama begins*

Squizzle: :magical:

Squizzle logs off and crawls back into bed, curled in the fetal position

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thst is what I am seeking an assurance on, that any info that is in the mods forum is being handled correctly and with good reason.

That is a seperate issue to the mods working without any oversight to gather info from offsite for.... whatever the hell they were doing is completely unacceptable.

I think you might be conflating two things.

The first concerns personal information that people put into public threads on SA. That's the kind of thing that gets moved to Test/Moved, when something goes wrong. It's a simple move of a thread from, say, somewhere in TGRS, or PYF, or E/N to a secret forum where outsiders won't be able to scrape it for information. I guess there's always the possibility that someone with access to that forum could leak it, but they could have anyway because prior to the move it was in a public forum.

The second is the mod forum itself, where sometimes mods talk about things other than modding. That forum gets regular resets, because it doesn't see a ton of traffic so there's the potential for any new mod to come in and see posts from mods five years ago talking about where they live or what their job is or whatever. Any personal identifying information in that forum would pertain only to the mods who were talking about themselves. The periodic resets of threads in the mod forum are meant to mitigate the threat of someone breaking bad and doxxing people by leaking the forum (and not, as someone suggested, to hide evidence of Crimes or whatever).

What is not happening in the mod forum is the assemblage of some kind of hidden database of posters private information, or who they are on offsites (I don't know how PPJ kept track of that, if they did at all, but I do know it wasn't in the mod forum) or anything like that. Does that make a little more sense? I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, I'm trying to explain it the best I can.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

twoday posted:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

twoday posted:

Chancellor KM looks in confusion as Prez PPJ hands her 2 Fascist cards

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you and died

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kill All Cops posted:

Lol

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kill All Cops posted:

lmao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Kill All Cops posted:

why do you make me laugh at this

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Schnorkles posted:

Mods behaving like corporate leadership where they all have to go away and come up with a standard line to sell to everyone is part of the loving problem, and the fact that they can't see it is gobsmacking. Squizzle coming to the thread yesterday and saying "We're working on a long post bare with us" is what the problem actually is you maroons.

KM is cool, LK is cool, Squizzle is my posting pal and I'm sure he will be cool. They're people who engage at a personal level in their communities and pretty obviously don't see themselves as "leadership." They serve the people who they moderate and are flexible and welcoming to members of their community. No one should be run out for bad judgment as long as the community that they help steward views the lapse in judgment as understandable and supports them through it. That's the loving point.

Being an admin of a dead comedy forum is not being an executive, and if you treat it like it is, you're part of the problem.

It's striking to me that the mods that have gotten the least amount of poo poo about this whole thing have been the ones who are most engaged with the communities they moderate. LK shows up and actually talks to us when there are giant QCS-equivalent threads, so we trust LK. KM is active and prolific in TGRS and her community respects and trusts her. Squizzle is an active poster and gets trust.

But PPJ? This whole loving mess started to snowball when PPJ and logikv6 went after Benghazi 2 for posts made in CSPAM, a forum they do not participate in and have no real interaction with aside from the occasional moderation functions (and even PPJ's actual posting contributions were apparently more of an ongoing Twitter feed than any substantial engagement). The outcry that followed was rooted less in "look how terrible these mods are" and more in "why the gently caress can't we have people moderating our community who are actually part of our community." Threads snowballed and metastasized because we saw no responses from them - or from any mod, really, save the occasional run-in by LK or CM - leaving the community with no outlet for their concerns rather than speculation and frustration. We say "don't worry, guys, Jeffrey is working on a post" and then heard nothing. Statements came that were handed down from On High, phrased to end discussion and engagement rather than to foster it. And I get it, it was around the holidays, people had poo poo going on, but there was still an overwhelming sense of the great mass of posters petitioning the distant administration for their attention. And that's without getting into the spate of probes handed out by NYC_Tattoo, who I guess has run SA-MART for decades but who no one else had ever heard of and half the forum still thinks they run Coupons?

So it strikes me that again and again over the past several weeks we have seen problems raised and then exacerbated by moderators having the power to impose sanctions on communities that they are not a part of. Maybe, just maybe, if there were a degree of engagement - if mods started being a part of the community rather than looking down from Olympian heights at the poor mortal posters below - a whole lot of this loving mess could have been avoided in the first place. If you're not a part of a community, how can you adequately judge when someone has stepped outside the bounds of that community?

I don't know how you codify "be a part of the community you moderate" in a hard-and-fast sense, but I know that the mods that have imploded the most memorably this week have all been the mods who didn't do that, so...

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Lol the dumpster fire is coming from within the forums

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's striking to me that the mods that have gotten the least amount of poo poo about this whole thing have been the ones who are most engaged with the communities they moderate. LK shows up and actually talks to us when there are giant QCS-equivalent threads, so we trust LK. KM is active and prolific in TGRS and her community respects and trusts her. Squizzle is an active poster and gets trust.

But PPJ? This whole loving mess started to snowball when PPJ and logikv6 went after Benghazi 2 for posts made in CSPAM, a forum they do not participate in and have no real interaction with aside from the occasional moderation functions (and even PPJ's actual posting contributions were apparently more of an ongoing Twitter feed than any substantial engagement). The outcry that followed was rooted less in "look how terrible these mods are" and more in "why the gently caress can't we have people moderating our community who are actually part of our community." Threads snowballed and metastasized because we saw no responses from them - or from any mod, really, save the occasional run-in by LK or CM - leaving the community with no outlet for their concerns rather than speculation and frustration. We say "don't worry, guys, Jeffrey is working on a post" and then heard nothing. Statements came that were handed down from On High, phrased to end discussion and engagement rather than to foster it. And I get it, it was around the holidays, people had poo poo going on, but there was still an overwhelming sense of the great mass of posters petitioning the distant administration for their attention. And that's without getting into the spate of probes handed out by NYC_Tattoo, who I guess has run SA-MART for decades but who no one else had ever heard of and half the forum still thinks they run Coupons?

So it strikes me that again and again over the past several weeks we have seen problems raised and then exacerbated by moderators having the power to impose sanctions on communities that they are not a part of. Maybe, just maybe, if there were a degree of engagement - if mods started being a part of the community rather than looking down from Olympian heights at the poor mortal posters below - a whole lot of this loving mess could have been avoided in the first place. If you're not a part of a community, how can you adequately judge when someone has stepped outside the bounds of that community?

I don't know how you codify "be a part of the community you moderate" in a hard-and-fast sense, but I know that the mods that have imploded the most memorably this week have all been the mods who didn't do that, so...

disgusting to see cspam trying to control the forums with unreasonable demands like 'actually talk to us' and 'let us have mods that give a poo poo about our community'

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

tbf also from an hr perspective not paying your workers or offering them any sort of support aside for occasionally lying to throw them under a bus will result in bad things

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if a knight was struck by lightning they'd die, idiot