Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know most of the articles about Ring's security issues mostly boil down to "Idiot owners re-using passwords" rather than any major technological incompetence on their part, but I'm wary of pretty much any product owned by amazon :ohdear:

e; I take back the thing about no technological incompetence :colbert:

wikipedia posted:

In January 2019, it was uncovered that employees at Ring's two offices have access to the video recordings from all Ring devices.[13] In addition, The Intercept reported that the video data is stored unencrypted.[14]

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I’m not sure which, if any, out of the box solutions are great. But if you want this thing and value your privacy, the best option is probably cobbling together your own system. The major NAS manufacturers make their own software.

This would be way more expensive than just buying a Nest cam or whatever, but a decent NAS is a flexible device that you may have a variety of uses for.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I'm pretty sure mine mostly sleep all day most days but yesterday they were apparently up to something.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GoodBee posted:

I'm pretty sure mine mostly sleep all day most days but yesterday they were apparently up to something.

I kept an eye on mine yesterday. Determined she's not a dog, she's a clock.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sab669 posted:

Are there any web cameras I can hook up that actually give a poo poo about user privacy? I want to spy on my girls while I'm at work. They look suspect:
Oh, those dogs are definitely scheming something. :)

I have SimpliSafe cameras as part of my overall home security setup. Theoretically they're not even accessible by the company or their monitoring vendor without my permission.

I like them because they have a very loud physical shutter that only opens when a camera is recording (ie. an arm/disarm event, or a door or motion sensor being triggered while the system is armed) or remotely accessed. So it's not watching me 24/7, and I would definitely know immediately if someone got into it and started watching me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
arlo is pretty decent

if my dog starts licking one paw, isnt much of a 'groomer' but doesnt limp or give any indication of pain in the foot, should i get her to the vet ASAP or wait it out a few days?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

if my dog starts licking one paw, isnt much of a 'groomer' but doesnt limp or give any indication of pain in the foot, should i get her to the vet ASAP or wait it out a few days?

Does she let you poke at it? Is she chewing a bunch of hair off of it?

My hound dog got into some ants once and chewed a bunch of hair off one of her toes. It was pretty obvious what she was doing though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The dog might also just be bored. Mine used to use his paw as a chew toy. When I noticed I'd redirect him to his actual chew toys and the problem would be solved. Eventually he started just going for the real chew toys on his own.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GoodBee posted:

Does she let you poke at it? Is she chewing a bunch of hair off of it?

My hound dog got into some ants once and chewed a bunch of hair off one of her toes. It was pretty obvious what she was doing though.

she did let me look at it but I don't see anything stuck in there or any blood. kinda pink skin.

I can't get her into the vet today so I guess she's just gonna wear a cone today and hate me for it.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Thanks all for the tips regarding Keppra. Not sure what is considered expensive but our vet was very surprised to see how much it went down. We need to give him the twice a day extended release. 2 weeks worth is about $20 using GoodRX. I'm just happy to have him home.

Vet's rationality was that basically yeah it's a lot safer with no liver effects. We'll keep him on this and see how it goes for the time being. We also have an appointment with a neurologist this week.

Here he is snoozing from his unexpected weekend vacation at the animal hospital.

I have a Bloodhound that is on BOTH Phenobarbital and Keppra. She's 1.5 and had a violent grand mal right around Thanksgiving. We played wait and see on the advice of the vet, but she ended up having 4 in the span of 12 hours starting Christmas evening, so she spent the day after Christmas at the vet getting them under control and getting meds onboarded.

Her bloodwork says her liver is totally fine on both right now, and we've had no problems since she started on it. It took her a few days for her behavior to normalize after going on PB, and she had jelly legs (ataxia) for a few days as well, so we had to keep her clear of the stairs, but she's back to her normal self. Biggest annoyance is that there's a backorder for Keppra XR, so it's impossible to find here in town right now, so she needs to be on the 3x a day dose of regular Keppra, which is super annoying since it brings her out of sync for the twice daily PB, and someone needs to be at home at like 3:30 to give her the mid-day dose.

GoodRX is a lifesaver though. Took a $120 order down to $18. She's gonna be on the meds for life to some extent, so I'll take any help I can get.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

she did let me look at it but I don't see anything stuck in there or any blood. kinda pink skin.

I can't get her into the vet today so I guess she's just gonna wear a cone today and hate me for it.

Ha ha, cone. That's probably not a bad thing to have around.

My hound dog likes to do her nails. She'll noisily lick off any dirt or mud and nibble on the ends. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm besides a wet spot on the couch.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GoodBee posted:

Ha ha, cone. That's probably not a bad thing to have around.

My hound dog likes to do her nails. She'll noisily lick off any dirt or mud and nibble on the ends. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm besides a wet spot on the couch.

yeah i got one of those padded cones when she was recovering from the spay and it's very nice

its the urgency that she goes at the paw which makes me worry about it, even though shes walking around fine

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'd just keep an eye on it for now to see if a hot spot develops. Not sure how effective sour apple spray would be here but maybe that might help?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm assuming the answer here is "give her time", but I wanted to check anyway.

My GSD I got Saturday has been amazing. Can definitely tell she was a pet before she went stray, she's well behaved, goes to the bathroom in the same spot outside, barely barks, essentially I couldn't ask for a better 1-2 year old dog.

However, she's constantly acting like she's starving (I asked about food servings earlier). Any time I get up, she runs toward the kitchen thinking she's getting a snack. She inhales her food. I've almost lost a finger giving her treats while working on minor training. She's constantly sniffing, looking for anything she can eat. She's been great, not tearing open bags or eating things she's not supposed to, just always has that "HOLY poo poo I'M STARVING" look going.

I know dogs will be dogs, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to start curbing that behavior sooner rather than later.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My dogs wrecked up the place again today. I guess they're bored now that everyone is back at work after the holidays. I don't really get it since the weather had been awful for a while and we've just all been laying around. The dogs pretty much have been doing nothing. I also don't get how they can destroy the poo poo that was sitting right next to the bag of treats and not even touch the bag of treats. Weirdos.

Medullah posted:

I'm assuming the answer here is "give her time", but I wanted to check anyway.

My GSD I got Saturday has been amazing. Can definitely tell she was a pet before she went stray, she's well behaved, goes to the bathroom in the same spot outside, barely barks, essentially I couldn't ask for a better 1-2 year old dog.

However, she's constantly acting like she's starving (I asked about food servings earlier). Any time I get up, she runs toward the kitchen thinking she's getting a snack. She inhales her food. I've almost lost a finger giving her treats while working on minor training. She's constantly sniffing, looking for anything she can eat. She's been great, not tearing open bags or eating things she's not supposed to, just always has that "HOLY poo poo I'M STARVING" look going.

I know dogs will be dogs, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to start curbing that behavior sooner rather than later.

Yeah, that sounds like give it time territory. Once she's figured out she gets fed on schedule, she may chill out.

Those slow feeder bowls are pretty cool. They're entirely unnecessary if you're dog isn't barfing up their meals but I feel better when they have to slow the gently caress down a little. I can't see how they could possibly be a bad thing.

Being food motivated is good for training. Snapping at fingers is bad. Try to teach her to catch treats and you can toss them to her. My hound dog can get a little snappy sometimes if I don't say "catch" when I get out the treats. When she was an only dog I would hand her treats fine then she started getting a little snappy when I was trying to get more than one dog to listen. She wanted to make sure she got her treat. My boy is the best at catch, my hound dog is the worst, my little one-eyed dog is pretty okay at it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks, I just ordered a slow feed bowl at a friend's recommendation. This smart poo poo head will likely figure out she can flip it upside down though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

In my first year with Apollo I had to put a tennis ball in his food dish so he wouldn't throw up half an hour later. He's since chilled out and is no longer a vacuum, but....well, see. He gets one and a half cups of kibble for a meal in winter (he gets one cup in summer) and since we've had a heat wave I've been giving him the summer portions. Well this morning he was SICK OF IT. There's a snowstorm outside! HE NEEDS FUEL TO STAY WARM

cue like an hour of him going around licking our legs, investigating everything we do in the kitchen, poking his head into the trash (normally he doesn't care) and being a brat until I gave up and had him practice his tricks and play "find the hidden kibble" around the house for half a cup worth.

Message received, winter rations are back, sigh I love you pupper

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Medullah posted:

Thanks, I just ordered a slow feed bowl at a friend's recommendation. This smart poo poo head will likely figure out she can flip it upside down though

My hound did that once. She wasn't putting up with that poo poo. She also likes punching poo poo.

She doesn't eat fast though. I only gave her food in it once because I had bought a concentric circle one for the little dog first and it wasn't really working so I bought one that was more of a maze for the little dog. I used it once for the hound dog and then gave it to a coworker.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

i'm dying apollo just accidentally ran into my glass screen door while coming inside

it was cold so i had it closed while he did his business in the back yard and i didn't open it in time and CLONK

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GoodBee posted:

Yeah, that sounds like give it time territory. Once she's figured out she gets fed on schedule, she may chill out.

OTOH she might just be a super food motivated dog.

My hound taught herself how to open my refridgerator last year. I came home and she ate sandwhich meats, 1 pound of sour cream, butter, eggs... All kinds of stuff. I still fed her dinner, and then on our walk around the neighorhood she lunges at scraps (I live in the city and people throw poo poo on the ground everywhere) as if she hasn't eaten in days.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

It's nice because she's still pretty chill about it. She is always looking for food, but she doesn't whine or anything if she doesn't get it.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Snufflemat's are great for dogs who eat too quickly. Seems very difficult for the dog to cheat at it.

https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/blog/diy-make-your-dog-or-cat-a-snuffle-matt/

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Old Swerdlow posted:

Snufflemat's are great for dogs who eat too quickly. Seems very difficult for the dog to cheat at it.

https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/blog/diy-make-your-dog-or-cat-a-snuffle-matt/

Can confirm--our dog is a bottomless pit and her snuffle mat (we got ours from Amazon) keeps her busy for at least five minutes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My hound solves those things faster than it takes me to "load" the drat thing :shrug: Maybe I just bought a lovely easy-to-solve one; that DIY one looks like it's serious business.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sab669 posted:

My hound solves those things faster than it takes me to "load" the drat thing :shrug: Maybe I just bought a lovely easy-to-solve one; that DIY one looks like it's serious business.
My mother in law made a similar thing for Ahboo - no mat, but more of a sphere with a plastic center with strips of cloth hanging from it in all directions.

The first couple of times he would gingerly sniff and pick out all of the treats - until he figured out that he could just bat it with his paw and send it rolling. This made it drop most of the treats on the floor, which he could hoover up at his leisure. Minimal effort, maximum reward.

Wow, I miss that dog.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I got one of those treat puzzles and my hound dog slowly and methodically cleared it out by carefully opening the flaps and sliding things around. The dude tore it apart and tried chewing up the pieces.

The little dog was funny. She wouldn't touch it. She whined and looked at me for help. She also couldn't figure out an egg and she won't eat my food if I leave her alone in a room with it. She will guard my food from the other dogs. All food must be handed to her in bite size pieces.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GoodBee posted:

I got one of those treat puzzles and my hound dog slowly and methodically cleared it out by carefully opening the flaps and sliding things around. The dude tore it apart and tried chewing up the pieces.

I was trying to think, "What ever happened to mine....?" and then I read this and remembered. Said houndbeast could still smell the scent of the treats long after she'd picked them all out and tore it to shreds while I was at work one day.

Incidentally, the same thing that happened to my couch :downs: I let her eat her rawhides / kong on the couch and I guess crumbs fell between the cushion and the armrest some time so she destroyed that third of the couch trying to find the source of the smell :(

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Sab669 posted:

We had a couple (hard plastic) puzzle bowls for ours, but she figured out pretty quickly to just pick the thing up and dump the contents out. With the new one, she may do it to get the last couple pieces of kibble out, but she's pretty content to use it as designed. This is the one we have:

https://www.amazon.com/NEEDOON-Interactive-Encourages-Foraging-Dispenser/dp/B07N1JYYCW/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

JaneError posted:

We had a couple (hard plastic) puzzle bowls for ours, but she figured out pretty quickly to just pick the thing up and dump the contents out. With the new one, she may do it to get the last couple pieces of kibble out, but she's pretty content to use it as designed. This is the one we have:

https://www.amazon.com/NEEDOON-Interactive-Encourages-Foraging-Dispenser/dp/B07N1JYYCW/

I love this product image they use lmao

But that looks like it might work well. Pretty drat cheap, too...

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
My dog eats out of a larger one of these, has since she was about a year old. No choice but to slow down with it. It was fun watching her and her brother figure it out as well. At first he would get frustrated with it and pick it up and just chuck it across the kitchen.

https://www.chewy.com/kong-wobbler-dog-toy-small/dp/44194

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I got one of the puzzle bowls from Target since my Dexter was wolfing down his food and giving himself hiccups and sometimes just barfing the food back up immediately. Thankfully he has not figured out that he can just dump it over. Not that he seems interested in dog food on the floor, the little diva.

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011
Anyone have a recommendation for a no-pull harness for a corgi? He's about two years old and weighs about 22 lbs.

Here's a picture of the monster.

Lord Grundle fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 11, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I used to use a Kong with my dog. It works, but will get kibble under your furniture.

I remember seeing a video of a DIY food toy someone had made, which was a plastic bottle containing the food, with a rod through the side of the bottle that it could spin around. The rod was supported on each end, and the puzzle was that the dog would have to spin the bottle around with the right speed so that it would slow down at the top and let some kibble fall out. It seemed complicated and easy to break (the clear plastic bottle was an obvious weak point), but a ruggedized version seems like it'd be pretty foolproof.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Hey guys. Thinking of getting a west highland terrier puppy. I've had a westie before, she passed just under 2 years ago. I work 9-5 but have an hour lunch and live real close to the office so I can probably spend about 40 mins in the middle of the day, and I've sourced a local walker to come in and do x2 visits per day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Is this likely to be enough? I really don't want to be a cruel owner. Also I'll be taking a week off to get it settled in initially.

I should also mention I have a middle aged cat. To begin with I would keep them separate and let the cat have the full house and confine pup to the kitchen/dining room. Then work on getting them to be friends. With a view to them being able to keep each other company and I can trust them to be alone together. Cat has not been kept with others before but has shown no sign of aggression to other cats when encountered and is generally very chill.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

i changed my little dude's food to a different brand a few months ago to good results. except recently (in the last couple of weeks) he has started acting like he's starving before dinner, and acting like i didn't feed him enough after dinner. this is normal behavior, but he's dialed it up to 1000.

he gets table scraps (some of my eggs in the morning, i'll throw him a strawberry and piece of my banana when making a shake, things like that), bones, and milk bones. but nothing about the amount or type of food he takes in has changed. he does get way less than the bag suggests (2 cups per day as opposed to like 4.5 -- this has always been the case even with his old food). he stays around the same weight (around 70lbs) and there was no weight change when switching foods.

should i feed him more for breakfast/dinner and just take away the extras? or does he just really like his new food and gets excited to eat it/depressed he's finished?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
What kind of dog, how old etc and what kind of physical activity is he getting? If the weight hasn't changed over several weeks on this new food, they should be fine.

The bags are usually really just a guess and you have to adjust from there. Some dogs are fatty fatkins who would eat the whole bag. Others need a certain amount of food to maintain a healthy weight and all breeds are different. I've known a few beagles that will eat themselves to death if you let them. My dog won't eat if he's not hungry and he will leave food once he's full. Labs always seem like they get overweight really easily.

It could be possible that the food contains a different mix of proteins, vitamins etc and maybe it digests different or he feels like he didn't eat as much, like when you eat chinese food and feel hungry 30 minutes later.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my pup is licking her feet and kinda nibbling around the toenails and I can't get her to the vet till Friday.

the skin between the pads is redder than normal. the pads are in good shape. nails are good too.

she did get groomed and nails trimmed last weekend but I don't think that had anything to do with it, since she did have this happen on one of her front paws a couple weeks ago but that went away after 2-3 days.

she haaaates that we put a cone on her to try to stop it but it's not stopping her from licking her rear feet.

should I worry about it or just let her do it until we see the vet? she's not limping or keeping weight off of it

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 22, 2020

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017

BraveUlysses posted:

my pup is licking her feet and kinda nibbling around the toenails and I can't get her to the vet till Friday.

the skin between the pads is redder than normal. the pads are in good shape. nails are good too.

she did get groomed and nails trimmed last weekend but I don't think that had anything to do with it, since she did have this happen on one of her front paws a couple weeks ago but that went away after 2-3 days.

She might have allergies to something outside? I've found it helps our dog's pollen allergies to wipe down his paws when he comes inside.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MistressMeeps posted:

She might have allergies to something outside? I've found it helps our dog's pollen allergies to wipe down his paws when he comes inside.

This, either she developed an allergy to something, or if it's snowy in your area and salt/ice melters are down, those are probably irritating her paws, which causes licking, which causes irritation and the wonderful cycle never ends.

You can buy these for dogs if it's allergies: https://www.amazon.com/Sogeval-Douxo-Count-Chlorhexidine-Pads/dp/B00G3D8JL0

We also get shots every few months for allergies; both the wipes and shots help, but nothing is perfect.

If it is salt/irritants, I'd wipe her feet every time you come in (same wipes are good for that too, or you can just use a wet towel/whatever), make sure to get between the pads/toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You can also get some dog shoes if you think there's something outside that's irritating the dog's feet.