Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wolfs posted:

yall ignoring sean hannity spooking the Iranian military within an hour of the plane going down?

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1215352276132466694

cuz uh
thats no good

i wish we lived in a more whimsical hellworld

Yeah, Hannity specifically boasted that B-52s (which have a very similar radar profile to an airliner) were en route to Tehran, and then that plane went boom. Can’t really blame a jumpy Iranian air defence crew for thinking Fox News is reliable military intelligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

Some posters have gone well past "suggesting" anything and are straight up asserting things we have no evidence of and then having multi page meltdowns whenever someone even vaguely challenges what they're saying.

It would be one thing if people were posting videos, photos or even satellite images that we could actually look at and discuss but very VERY few people are even doing that.

I found a video for us all to look at and discuss
https://twitter.com/MaximilieMoreau/status/1215369249318998020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, Hannity specifically boasted that B-52s (which have a very similar radar profile to an airliner) were en route to Tehran, and then that plane went boom. Can’t really blame a jumpy Iranian air defence crew for thinking Fox News is reliable military intelligence.

I wonder if they'll deploy the B-3 bomber

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

So was the person filming the plane just filming random stuff to hopefully get a war video to post online? Seems odd that they were trying to keep a plane in focus, even moving to get a better view, but I could understand that reasoning

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

Bahaha.

sum posted:

I found a video for us all to look at and discuss
https://twitter.com/MaximilieMoreau/status/1215369249318998020

Alright guys hold up. What if this was actually a Russian Operation designed to frame Iran and thus have America invade on a dubious cassus belli? Can't you guys understand how it would be racist to suggest anything else?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im a plane expert who watched the plane fall on that very cool video and i know exactly what kind if missile and what part of the plane it hit in the dark because i read it in a post 2 nights ago and cant let go of the fake facts

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

TeenageArchipelago posted:

So was the person filming the plane just filming random stuff to hopefully get a war video to post online? Seems odd that they were trying to keep a plane in focus, even moving to get a better view, but I could understand that reasoning

is it not the case that a lot of videos exist of missile intercepts and junk, shot by people on the ground? i think it's probably not hard to hear something like a rocket motor

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

he was probably filming himself smoking in the backyard when a low altitude plane happened to clip a bird that ate dynamite in frame

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

Story from the US government is two missiles so could have responded to the first one to catch the 2nd.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

why would a b-52 be taking off from an airport in tehran, and why was this iranian aa team glued to fox news? there was what, an hour between the broadcast and the plane crash? how did a story that was only spread in the us two days later get translated, verified, and passed to local low-level troops in this timeframe, and why would the iranians trust hannity over their own radars? b-52s aren't exactly stealth bombers. this story makes no sense.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Snake Dance posted:

Can't believe "Ding" Chavez and Sam Fisher infiltrated Tehran just so they could hack a SAM site to shoot down that plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4xO0k9LcIU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

probably started filming after the launch since its not in the video

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GoluboiOgon posted:

why would a b-52 be taking off from an airport in tehran, and why was this iranian aa team glued to fox news? there was what, an hour between the broadcast and the plane crash? how did a story that was only spread in the us two days later get translated, verified, and passed to local low-level troops in this timeframe, and why would the iranians trust hannity over their own radars? b-52s aren't exactly stealth bombers. this story makes no sense.

English is very widely spoken in Iran, to the point where most public signs are bilingual. They know as well as we do that Fox News anchors are Trump’s most trusted advisors.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i doubt an intel report on what hannity said managed to trickle down to AA crews between when he said and when the plane crashed

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So what Darth Walrus is implying is that Iranian Military Intelligence is about as smart as the Fox New Demographic. nice.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

if it was a missile the likely scenario in my mind is that the AA crews were put on alert, the 737 wasn't squawking its transponder on a military channel OR the battery's tracking system failed to pick it up. the plane then ascended to a point where the radar could track it and it suddenly popped up on some guy's radar screen as an unidentified aircraft over down town tehran

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i doubt an intel report on what hannity said managed to trickle down to AA crews between when he said and when the plane crashed

I mean, they could have just been watching it themselves. This is 2020. Everyone is online.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

If I was an Iranian AA guy waiting for Trump to rain nuclear hellfire down on my city, I might be a little skittish

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

a jumpy AA crew expecting american retaliation seems like a pretty reasonable explanation. this all happened because of trump anyway, not like that changes who the aggressor is in all of this

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if it was a missile the likely scenario in my mind is that the AA crews were put on alert, the 737 wasn't squawking its transponder on a military channel OR the battery's tracking system failed to pick it up. the plane then ascended to a point where the radar could track it and it suddenly popped up on some guy's radar screen as an unidentified aircraft over down town tehran

Yea for sure. There are a ton of ways that guns/missiles pointing at the sky and "on alert," would accidentally shoot at the wrong target. I also heard that two missiles were fired? But I guess the first missed? Doesn't sound like plucky Iran is all that well organized.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i think AA missile standard practice is to launch missiles in volleys of 2 or more to ensure a kill

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i think AA missile standard practice is to launch missiles in volleys of 2 or more to ensure a kill

I'll trust you on that. I assume with a decent delay between them? Hence why the camera guy was able to start recording and see the hit.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I can’t understand the pressure some posters have to ascribe some kind of narrative to this other than a mistake on someone’s part. the relevant parties and countries need to get together, as I’m sure they will, and determine the cause and come up with a resolution. what more needs to be said?

it seems kind of silly to stretch things to try and put the US in a position of responsibility for a Tehran AA missile battery’s decision making. or that that missile crew were watching Sean hannity at the time.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

But I guess the first missed? Doesn't sound like plucky Iran is all that well organized.

if you are just neutrally asking questions and the US, France, and other nations have made similar mistakes, why single out Iran with rear end in a top hat statements like this, as if they are uniquely incompetent

THS
Sep 15, 2017

also this is an example of why no one should wish for war, because it’s very un-neat and largely just a series of fuckups and absurdities even when there is a “good guy” and a “bad guy”

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

THS posted:

if you are just neutrally asking questions and the US, France, and other nations have made similar mistakes, why single out Iran with rear end in a top hat statements like this, as if they are uniquely incompetent

This is the mock Iran thread. Also there are no "good guys" in this comedy of errors.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

I can't believe we've let the posting disparity reach such disturbing levels. What are we spending our defense budget on, because clearly it isn't working

THS
Sep 15, 2017

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

This is the mock Iran thread. Also there are no "good guys" in this comedy of errors.

what the fucks wrong with you

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
the party that was attacked for decades is the good guy that is my hot take

THS
Sep 15, 2017

in a conflict with the imperialist hegemony, the people countering it are the people to support, however imperfect they are. the only time that gets hairy is with literal ISIS death cults or stuff like al qaeda but whoops it always turns out that those were created by america anyway

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

THS posted:

what the fucks wrong with you

obviously he hasn’t read A message on transphobia and bigotry

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

It's cowardly to say that there's any sort of moral equivalency between Iran and America. The US just went and committed an insane, stupid act of war against Iran for no reason, and Iran responded in the most measured, rational possible way.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Santa Claus was aboard that Ukrainian plane. It was his vacation.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
Maybe after 10 more pages of Debate and Discussion we will finally reach a reasonable goonclusion.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Victory Position posted:

so that's why trump declared that he had won the war on christmas.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mrs. Dash posted:

Maybe after 10 more pages of Debate and Discussion we will finally reach a reasonable goonclusion.

:d2a:

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
seems kind of stupid not not completely ground all civilian flights at a time where you might expect some kind of military response to come down from the heavens. I mean I get Ukraine not constantly having no civilian flights since it's a fairly protracted conflict, but Iran shouldve probably known it's either a quick response immediately after, a delayed response at an unknown time, or all out war. Just grounding all flights for 12 hours or so just to be safe shouldn't be to hard or have to many consequences.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Victory Position posted:

it's ok, that was a different Ukrainian plane that done blown up

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

RajCooper posted:

Just grounding all flights for 12 hours or so just to be safe shouldn't be to hard or have to many consequences.

#BREAKING - Tyrannical Iranian regime
holds innocent foreign nationals hostage for 12 hours in desperate and foolish attempt to escape completely justified and extremely measured US response, credible sources report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
ON TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT: Is the Rogue Iranian Terror Regime using international travelers as humans shields? It sure seems that way!