Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I know it's a common thing that's been regularly joked about, but when I saw Nocturnal Animals I legit didn't realize that Isla Fisher wasn't Amy Adams until the end credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ditto on that one—there's a few that are totally legit, for sure. I only recently got Logan Marshall-Green and Tom Hardy sorted out.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They look nothing alike, but I get the names of Charles Grodin, Josh Groban, and Josh Brolin all loving mixed up.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I thought Christopher Meloni and Elias Koteas were the same person at one point.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
“I thought Josh Groban made a pretty good Thanos” is pretty funny

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I referred to Donald Glover as Crispin Glover like 4 times when talking about Solo before someone corrected me

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
This is all related to how goons call Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney ‘generic videogame protagonists’, until they put on a hat or get a whimsical hairstyle. Then they suddenly become underrated character actors.

And, you know, I’m blaming anime for this.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

gey muckle mowser posted:

I referred to Donald Glover as Crispin Glover like 4 times when talking about Solo before someone corrected me

I call him Jamie Lee Foxx like half the time

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

Donald and Danny for me, so I just say Childish Gambino

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

Okay, Elle Fanning I'll take the L and say she's pretty distinct from the other two, but

I very easily confuse these two.

I can pretty easily recognize Chloe Grace-Moretz but I have trouble recognizing Florence Pugh if her name’s not right next to her face.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

There's also something to be said about examining side by side still pictures and like, seeing one of these ladies in a movie where they might be dressed/lit/made up differently and confusing them for each other when you haven't seen one or any of them in a while.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is all related to how goons call Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney ‘generic videogame protagonists’, until they put on a hat or get a whimsical hairstyle. Then they suddenly become underrated character actors.

No one cared who I was until I put on the mask

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

feedmyleg posted:

Ditto on that one—there's a few that are totally legit, for sure. I only recently got Logan Marshall-Green and Tom Hardy sorted out.

Tom Hardy threw me for a long time cause I associated him with Bronson and just thought that's how he looks all the time

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I confuse Jason Sudeikis with Ed Helms all the time.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

None of those actors ever wore hats

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I confuse Jason Sudeikis with Ed Helms all the time.

Speaking of these guys, the poster for Horrible Bosses is uh, something to ponder in 2020.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Tonight's movie which i have finally decided to sit down and watch after years of putting off is Shadow of the Vampire.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Tonight's movie which i have finally decided to sit down and watch after years of putting off is Shadow of the Vampire.

Excellent movie. That and The Lighthouse would make for the Ultimate Dafoe Double Feature.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I remember really liking it when I rented the tape back in highschool, I revisited it a few years back and it's like, fine. Dafoe is pretty fun.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm trying to make an effort to watch more films I've been putting off this month, the first one I watched was American Psycho so I might watch Platoon tomorrow and do the Willem Dafoe trilogy (my dad always said that was his favourite movie)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I feel like that's kind of specifically tied to how those two typically look

"white dude with a square face and a buzzcut" is pretty much always the default in games that let you customize a male protagonist, and it is kind of funny how often that default looks like Sam Worthington and/or Jai Courtney (though I suspect there might be a bit of chicken-egg here and Sam Worthington in Avatar was actually the basis for this)

e: and Jai Courtney's one really good performance, in Spartacus: Blood and Sand, isn't really a hat-or-whimsical-hairstyle performance. dude's hair is longer but he mostly just... puts in an actual good performance and doesn't sleepwalk through it. Varro's a fun, charismatic character in a way that Courtney like almost never gets to play now.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like that's kind of specifically tied to how those two typically look

"white dude with a square face and a buzzcut" is pretty much always the default in games that let you customize a male protagonist, and it is kind of funny how often that default looks like Sam Worthington and/or Jai Courtney (though I suspect there might be a bit of chicken-egg here and Sam Worthington in Avatar was actually the basis for this)

e: and Jai Courtney's one really good performance, in Spartacus: Blood and Sand, isn't really a hat-or-whimsical-hairstyle performance. dude's hair is longer but he mostly just... puts in an actual good performance and doesn't sleepwalk through it. Varro's a fun, charismatic character in a way that Courtney like almost never gets to play now.

The more time passes, the more convinced I am that Spartacus is the greatest show ever made.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The more time passes, the more convinced I am that Spartacus is the greatest show ever made.

I am Spartacus.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

I am Spartacus.

I am Spartacus.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A yam, Spartacus.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
5 seconds earlier
Spartacus, bursting into the room: "What the gently caress is that, a sweet potato?"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

5 seconds earlier
Spartacus, bursting into the room: "What the gently caress is that, a sweet potato?"

It took me a while to get that. It wasn’t worth it.

(As someone who often makes terrible jokes, I applaud you).

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I think
Therefore
I am
Spartacus

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I, Spartacus.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I am sporty spice

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I Am Sam

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Knives Out got me to hunt down other mystery movies, and based on the recommendation by Rian Johnson ended up watching a 1973 movie The Last of Sheila. The directing is only so-so, but the script, from Stephen Sondheim (!) and Anthony Perkins (!) is fantastic, and went places I definitely wasn't expecting. Definite recommend.

Also it stars (among many other famous actors) a very young Ian McShane

Really wish they had gotten a better director though. Would have loved to see what Lumet or Friedkin could have done with it.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 9, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I´m Sparta Kush, dude.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yo Spartacus!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

Knives Out got me to hunt down other mystery movies, and based on the recommendation by Rian Johnson ended up watching a 1973 movie The Last of Sheila. The directing is only so-so, but the script, from Stephen Sondheim (!) and Anthony Perkins (!) is fantastic, and went places I definitely wasn't expecting. Definite recommend.

Also it stars (among many other famous actors) a very young Ian McShane

Really wish they had gotten a better director though. Would have loved to see what Lumet or Friedkin could have done with it. Instead it comes off a bit TV movie-ish.

Check out Klute! I caught it on the Criterion Channel a few months ago. I didn't expect too much going into it since it had become a meme for movie nerds waiting for Spine #1000, but it blew me away. Donald Sutherland plays a stoic small-town detective who is interested in solving a case to help his friend, and his only lead is a sex worker, played by Jane Fonda. Not technically a Whodunit, but absolutely an enthralling mystery.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Franchescanado posted:

Check out Klute! I caught it on the Criterion Channel a few months ago. I didn't expect too much going into it since it had become a meme for movie nerds waiting for Spine #1000, but it blew me away. Donald Sutherland plays a stoic small-town detective who is interested in solving a case to help his friend, and his only lead is a sex worker, played by Jane Fonda. Not technically a Whodunit, but absolutely an enthralling mystery.

Directed by Pakula. Oscar nominated screenplay. Oscar award for Jane Fonda.

I'm in

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

Directed by Pakula. Oscar nominated screenplay. Oscar award for Jane Fonda.

I'm in

Each and every one of those is amazing, especially Jane Fonda's performance, but the film deserves a huge shout-out to the cinematography by Gordon Willis. Absolutely amazing looking film.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Kerrang! posted about my work, which is pretty neat

I’m the guy they keep calling emo

https://www.kerrang.com/features/20-visual-artists-you-need-to-know-in-2020/

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Friends Are Evil posted:

Congratulations. Absolutely well-deserved. I know I've mentioned it before, but you're genuinely one of my favorite artists and I get excited every time I see a new piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Friends Are Evil posted:

I love it, I'm stalking your IG now.