Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh boy time for weeks of whining about how the Dems need to do the right thing and submit the impeachment to a blatant sham trial, without a single word mentioned about McConnell literally saying it will be a sham trial.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I didn't realize UHF qualified Weird Al for the position of Hollywood Elite.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Sega 32X posted:

I didn't realize UHF qualified Weird Al for the position of Hollywood Elite.

It absolutely should, UHF is a masterpiece

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

wizzardstaff posted:

Hey, what's Sinfest been up to lately?

Looks like an homage to old political cartoons to comment that TERFs are unfairly maligned in political discourse...

https://twitter.com/TatsuyaIshida9/status/1212810253370216448

...but also an observation that oppressors who try to use the language of social justice are self-absorbed and pitiful.

https://twitter.com/TatsuyaIshida9/status/1212528423395971072

In conclusion, Tatsuya Ishida is a land of contrasts.

I checked out what else he has been up to and

Wow, that is some incisive commentary!

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

My mom, who is an actual feminist and has been in marches, jail and beaten up for what she believes in looked at that sinfest panel as I was browsing this thread and said gently caress yeah, punch Terfs, they're all idiots. She said it in Dutch so it wasn't quite as succinct but it made me smile. Ishida really, really seems to be ramping it all up to a 1000 lately. I remember when his message was, just be nice to each other.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Connect This, Woo-Woos

Ted Rall posted:

Woo-woo New Age types like to say that the fundamental changes we need in society must begin individually, via some sort of vague spiritual transformation. But we don’t have time for that crap.

Tags: alternate religions, connected, connection, new age, spiritual transformation, Spirituality, woo-woo, Yoga

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Trapezium Dave posted:

g-g-g-g-get hosed, Rall.

"Humans will be extinct in 30 years, we don't have time to change how we behave!"

And what do you suppose we do? Just keep on keeping on doing what we've been doing so far?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

wizzardstaff posted:

Huh, looks like his whole account's been protected. Not sure it had anything to do with the tweets I linked since they were several days old.

The first was in the style of an old cartoon about ugly suffragettes beating up a policeman, except they're TERFs in 2020. The second was pure :ironicat: about a dude calling the cops because he had been misandried. Between the two tweets we're supposed to take away the message that men are just the worst when they pretend to be on the receiving end of discrimination, but also that TERFs are the real victims.

I suspect what got the account protected was another more recent comic that was making the rounds today, depicting a courageous young gender-critical protagonist facing down a lynch mob of angry people with anti-TERF signs.

I found the first tweet:

Ishida can go gently caress himself.

And so can Stantis!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Totally stole Paris' "fluctuat nec mergitur" schtick.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Trapezium Dave posted:

Wow, someone is channeling some specific personal grievances

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Trapezium Dave posted:

These aren't mutually exclusive, jackass. You can work on stopping/reversing climate change (which is a problem with corporations, not individuals) while simultaneously trying to get people to uhhhhh, get along better? That seems to be all the woman is saying. God forbid we start feeling connected to other people I guess.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

In 30 years, Rall will be in his late 80s. For Rall, humanity itself dies with him. :rolleyes:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

SimonChris posted:

loving lol, a huge phallic object with a literal male symbol on it crashing through a sign that says WOKE, turning it into WOE. Like congratulations Ishida, it shouldn't be possible but you have in fact made a comic that's a bit misandric.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Feinne posted:

loving lol, a huge phallic object with a literal male symbol on it crashing through a sign that says WOKE, turning it into WOE. Like congratulations Ishida, it shouldn't be possible but you have in fact made a comic that's a bit misandric.

Toxic masculinity (represented here by the aforementioned phallic tower) does massive damage to the male psyche bringing about despair and depression (represented by the broken rainbows and "woe"), a good cartoon.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

axolotl farmer posted:

In 30 years, Rall will be in his late 80s. For Rall, humanity itself dies with him. :rolleyes:

There was an earlier cartoon where he took the same tack.

Not sure he'd give a poo poo about climate change at all if he wasn't convinced it gaia wasn't going to personally shank him though, so there's that.

"Humanity will be extinct in 30 years" is Ted Rall's Christ, What An rear end in a top hat

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

... is that political?

I mean, it's funny as hell, but also old, and...

Wait, are language debates == politics?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Fine. Have a vintage horsey.

I wish I knew coding so I could get the horse comic but I feel like it's probably funny,

ironypolice
Oct 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/chrisscottsharp/status/1215430885836775424

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Give him a chance rightwingers, he seems like a caring and passionate lover.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Katt posted:

Fine. Have a vintage horsey.

I wish I knew coding so I could get the horse comic but I feel like it's probably funny,

I'm Yemen

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Is that one about this gal?

Katt posted:

The assembly joke is kinda outdated, nobody uses assembler for speed now. Decades of compiler optimizations have made it so that hand-optimized assembly doesn't really get that much of a boost now. (In fact, it even tends to be slower than what a compiler gives you, because the advices given for optimizing assembly were often written for the CPUs of 20 years ago, not for today's multicore monsters.) Professional programmers are now encouraged to do macro-level optimizations (refactor the architecture to use less subroutine calls) than micro-level optimizations (tweak individual subroutines so that they're faster).

Programming went through several different phases as new Right Ways To Do It are imagined and get popularized, usually with fancy acronyms and buzzwords. C++ is now a rather old language, that has evolved by its designed going through "let's shoehorn some ways to do the Latest Fad", so it's a very rich language that kinda lacks internal consistency. If you learned C++ in the 1990s and you now read code written for the latest specifications of C++, you'll have a lot of trouble understanding it, lots of completely new and often awkward syntaxes that have been added in the meantime.

Java was designed to correspond only to one of these specific Latest Fads, "object oriented programming", which was all the rage in the 1990s and 2000s. C# is similar, but a bit more modern.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Well she raised over $100k so that would be awfully lovely. I'm not sure what the point of that comic is, it's a little incoherent.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cat Mattress posted:

Pretty sure it's about Kylie Jenner

Cat Mattress posted:

The assembly joke is kinda outdated, nobody uses assembler for speed now. Decades of compiler optimizations have made it so that hand-optimized assembly doesn't really get that much of a boost now. (In fact, it even tends to be slower than what a compiler gives you, because the advices given for optimizing assembly were often written for the CPUs of 20 years ago, not for today's multicore monsters.) Professional programmers are now encouraged to do macro-level optimizations (refactor the architecture to use less subroutine calls) than micro-level optimizations (tweak individual subroutines so that they're faster).

Programming went through several different phases as new Right Ways To Do It are imagined and get popularized, usually with fancy acronyms and buzzwords. C++ is now a rather old language, that has evolved by its designed going through "let's shoehorn some ways to do the Latest Fad", so it's a very rich language that kinda lacks internal consistency. If you learned C++ in the 1990s and you now read code written for the latest specifications of C++, you'll have a lot of trouble understanding it, lots of completely new and often awkward syntaxes that have been added in the meantime.

Java was designed to correspond only to one of these specific Latest Fads, "object oriented programming", which was all the rage in the 1990s and 2000s. C# is similar, but a bit more modern.

Neat!

I know nothing about coding (I did some websites in HTML in 2002 but that's it) if I want to make some browser games for fun. Where do I start?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Don't.

Either you'll fail and be unhappy, or you'll succeed, and be unhappy.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

BrotherJayne posted:

Don't.

Either you'll fail and be unhappy, or you'll succeed, and be unhappy.

Teach me the dark arts. Teach me dammit!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just look up Unity honestly

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I liked html and I miss putting all the stuff together and see how it worked out. Or looking for what went wrong.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

SimonChris posted:

I'm pretty sure this whole arc is going to end with an Ishida stand-in saying "now, look at what you meanies are making me do!" while donning a MAGA hat. I've seen this kind of meltdown before, and it always ends with "at least Republicans respect differences in opinion!"

Also, Ishida, comics typically have panels for a reason, I know you think your ~artistry~ is good enough for a panel-less layout but I needed to look at this for like 10 seconds before figuring out you're trying to show a sequence of events.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Katt posted:

Teach me the dark arts. Teach me dammit!

You want to find an engine. Games have a lot of shite backend crap to deal with and an engine takes care of a lot of it for you- poo poo like file loading, rendering, building for other systems, etc. There are some decent html5 engines out there these days, and a lot of good game engines build for html5.

The Godot game engine is free, open source, and a solid place to get your feet wet with small projects. It's got its own Python-inspired scripting language but it's very standard stuff, and the node-based system is very good for making sure you've got good game structure. It's my go-to for jams these days.

Unity has very solid 2d support for making smallish stuff, but it's still a hefty 3d-oriented engine with a lot of history and bad decisions. They're currently pushing 2d hard and releasing a bunch of unfinished features and other dumb poo poo. Still a good option though.

Game Maker is good for really quick games, and Game Maker 2 is apparently great but it charges up front rather than taking a cut later, and it's pricey.

Unreal is massive and absurdly powerful and really modular and nice, but it's got poo poo all 2d / small game support.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I'm pretty sure this whole arc is going to end with an Ishida stand-in saying "now, look at what you meanies are making me do!" while donning a MAGA hat. I've seen this kind of meltdown before, and it always ends with "at least Republicans respect differences in opinion!"

Also, Ishida, comics typically have panels for a reason, I know you think your ~artistry~ is good enough for a panel-less layout but I needed to look at this for like 10 seconds before figuring out you're trying to show a sequence of events.

I tried skimming the preceding panels, and Jesus Christ is this arc convoluted. I guess the evil pimp was trying to hypnotize the personification of Lady Liberty to become a prostitute but she breaks free and explodes the gender man-church but there is also another evil pimp who is a skeleton in hell fighting the dying personification of the year 2019 but he also explodes and I guess it's the same explosion maybe and there is a good sex worker with bad zombie teeth even though those signify evil everywhere else and hj45789hkdf9uiZaRQnkwWZRtHayLDQhyT.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Katt posted:

I liked html and I miss putting all the stuff together and see how it worked out. Or looking for what went wrong.

If you like html you could always pick up Twine, which lets you in fact straight up use html if you'd like.

It's my engine of choice for weird projects I concept out then get bored of because of my executive dysfunction.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

I know nothing about coding (I did some websites in HTML in 2002 but that's it) if I want to make some browser games for fun. Where do I start?

If you want to make browser games, I recommend just learning modern HTML and Javascript. This has the added benefit of giving you a marketable skill, and Javascript games can be bundled into apps pretty easily.

If you want to make games with complex graphics, Unity is probably a better choice.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Thanks for all the good advice. Should I study some coding language in general?

I have been working as a manual laborer my whole life and somehow I leveraged all that into a dream job working in an office for a pretty good wage and I figured I would expand my computer related skills as much as possible now that I got my foot into the non-back breaking door.

Admittedly I really enjoyed html but back then we used html because that was the thing. I want to learn what's efficient and useful but also maybe make some small games mostly for fun with friends on my spare time.

I'd hate to have started on the "wrong" path from the start if you know what I mean.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Python is generally regarded as a good starter language -- it has a pretty good ratio of how easy it is to learn vs how powerful it is. Javascript is also easy to learn and has direct applications to several of the frameworks that have already been mentioned, and although it has been super broken in the past it's getting less broken all the time. C# is a good general-purpose language (although it's specific to web and Windows platforms) and works with Unity.

Personally I'm a webdev and pretty much exclusively use Java and (React-flavored) Javascript for my work

e: to be clear, Java is a tech-industry standard but is too slow for most game-related uses which is why I didn't put it in my list

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Katt posted:

Thanks for all the good advice. Should I study some coding language in general?

I have been working as a manual laborer my whole life and somehow I leveraged all that into a dream job working in an office for a pretty good wage and I figured I would expand my computer related skills as much as possible now that I got my foot into the non-back breaking door.

Admittedly I really enjoyed html but back then we used html because that was the thing. I want to learn what's efficient and useful but also maybe make some small games mostly for fun with friends on my spare time.

I'd hate to have started on the "wrong" path from the start if you know what I mean.

My typical advice to people who want to learn to code is to start with Javascript. It's very commonly used so it's a marketable skill and it's fast and relatively simple. Code Academy has good tutorials, and I know that at the company I work for, it's a good sign when an applicant has completed it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I spent most of 2019 in news isolation and played videojames, anything interesting happen to our favorite cartoonists last year? is tinsley still alive??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I finally have a perfect picture for a thread detail.