Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

ohh ok. So enabling something like that shouldn't do anything to battery life since my phone is already doing that location tracking and just letting the app know when necessary?

Don't know about iOS, but Android apps generally only request general location data that your phone is getting from the cell tower all the time anyway, or ways it knows a more precise location, like if a WiFi signal has been located and entered into a database.

It's only when you the user requests more precise location, like when navigating, that it turns on the GPS.

So when you leave your house, provided you aren't using Google or Apple maps to navigate somewhere, it only has a vague idea of where you are within about 1-2k feet. Once you're further away than that from your home it'll set the nest to away, provided no other family members are setup on the account and home, or if it detects movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Compared to what you could do 5 years ago? Amazing.

Compared to what Google can do now? Not great.

That being said, you can use HA with Google Assistant or Alexa. In fact, one of the things I really like about using Home Assistant is that I can control and access all sorts of stuff with Google Assistant that doesn't usually work with it. This is because Home Assistant can mostly expose anything it controls to Google Assistant.

Yeah, using HomeAssistant's NabuCasa service for native integration with Google and Alexa is great. If Home Assistant can control it, you can expose it to Google and Alexa to be voice controlled.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Compared to what you could do 5 years ago? Amazing.

I couldn’t find any options for standalone voice control, if you can give me a steer that’d be great.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rapulum_Dei posted:

I couldn’t find any options for standalone voice control, if you can give me a steer that’d be great.

mycroft.ai is one.

Search around for "self-hosted voice assistant".

And then there's this thing that Home Assistant is doing.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Does anyone have any Nest temperature sensors? I have an old alarm clock that I only keep around because it has a thermometer on it, and it's starting to die. I'd pretty much only be using the sensor to detect temps. Can I just see what the temp is in the Nest app? What about the Google Home app? Can I ask Google Assistant what the temp is in that room?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

LastInLine posted:

I guess the question is whether you mean people who are supposed to be there or not. If it's just the home occupants you care about, can't you use specific devices connected to wifi?
Mostly to automate lights. That it stays on while I'm in the office, and goes out when I'm not. It's less about laziness to flick a switch, but allowing the home automation to simulate occupancy and "movement" in the apartment, for when I'm away for extended amount of time. I was wondering whether the minute motions in the office chair could get picked up by such sensors. There aren't any decent and affordable Zigbee switches for European type installations, so it's a Zigbee bulb that needs to stay powered.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Does anyone have any Nest temperature sensors? I have an old alarm clock that I only keep around because it has a thermometer on it, and it's starting to die. I'd pretty much only be using the sensor to detect temps. Can I just see what the temp is in the Nest app? What about the Google Home app? Can I ask Google Assistant what the temp is in that room?
I have a couple in my house. In the Nest app I can see the individual temps for each sensor and thermostat. My house is a 4-level split so sometimes those numbers get weirdly different from each other and it's handy to be able to switch between them for the HVAC.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Do nest protects have temperature sensors? I don’t see it in the app. These are the battery ones. That would be a handy thing.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Crumps Brother posted:

I have a couple in my house. In the Nest app I can see the individual temps for each sensor and thermostat. My house is a 4-level split so sometimes those numbers get weirdly different from each other and it's handy to be able to switch between them for the HVAC.

That seems handy. Are you able to say for instance "Hey Google what is the temperature in the master bedroom?" And have it report only that temp?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That seems handy. Are you able to say for instance "Hey Google what is the temperature in the master bedroom?" And have it report only that temp?

I dunno about Nest, but you can with the Ecobee remote sensors. (The Ecobee sensors also include occupant sensing, but how useful that is probably depends on your HVAC and home layout)

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

priznat posted:

Do nest protects have temperature sensors? I don’t see it in the app. These are the battery ones. That would be a handy thing.
No temp sensors on either version of the Protects.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Crumps Brother posted:

No temp sensors on either version of the Protects.

Ah well, would have been a nice feature.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Does a thing such as this exist? I want something that can run an entire alexa routine at the push a button. Im sick of voice controls, especially for routines that get run alot.

I know echo buttons exist, I have some. They only work about 50-75% of the time, and are not exactly an ideal form factor

My dream is either
1. a battery operated wall switch.
2. An app that I can use with a cheap smart device

My problem is that the alexa app (and the echo show) sucks when it comes to quickly accessing and running your favorite routines.

If the alexa app allowed you to create widgets, it would be simple.

I hoe theres some obvious solution im overlooking.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Does a thing such as this exist? I want something that can run an entire alexa routine at the push a button. Im sick of voice controls, especially for routines that get run alot.

I know echo buttons exist, I have some. They only work about 50-75% of the time, and are not exactly an ideal form factor

My dream is either

My problem is that the alexa app (and the echo show) sucks when it comes to quickly accessing and running your favorite routines.

The perfect solution is a different automation platform like Home Assistant. Then you can use a multitude of different buttons, apps, and still alexa/assistant to trigger complex automations/routines.

Of course, it's a lot more complex to set up.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Finally got the wyze motion sensor going in Home Assistant without the camera and the responsiveness is great.

Easily sub half-second to detect and turn on a light. As long as you don't have to place it such that your first step into a room is perilous, these will do nicely.

So far the biggest caveat I'm seeing is they won't trigger again within 40 seconds, but that's generally good enough for things like lights/scenes. They're also supposed to get great battery life.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

still alexa/assistant to trigger complex automations/routines.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THAT poo poo!

I'm not entirely sure whose fault is it, that there isn't proper integration with Alexa in any of the popular third party platforms (lack of interest in doing so, Amazon being dicks, or whatever), because everything's a loving Hue emulation and it works meh at best.

I set it up for a friend, and while Node RED automations keep working, Alexa goes frequently in a weird state complaining about errors requiring a restart.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not entirely sure whose fault is it, that there isn't proper integration with Alexa in any of the popular third party platforms (lack of interest in doing so, Amazon being dicks, or whatever), because everything's a loving Hue emulation and it works meh at best.

I thought people only used Hue automations so that the Echo devices didn’t need a cloud service to contact to control the integrated devices. Can’t you use Casa Nabu or the self-hosted version and avoid all of that? Then you can expose things that don’t look like lights, etc.

Unrelated: I have a Homeseer Z-wave wall switch that often gets stuck “on” in a way I didn’t expect would happen. If I use Z-wave to turn it off, I hear the relay click and the little guide light turns on, but the controlled lamp stays powered. If I press the switch physically, it turns off fully. Is this something I can fix with some sort of reset, or should I just expel the slightly-terrifying hardware from my home and replace it?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 20, 2020

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THAT poo poo!

I set it up for a friend, and while Node RED automations keep working, Alexa goes frequently in a weird state complaining about errors requiring a restart.

Well, to be honest, I just assumed it worked as well as the Google Assistant integration.

With Google Assistant and HA, you can basically expose anything to Google Assistant for control.

Subjunctive posted:

Unrelated: I have a Homeseer Z-wave wall switch that often gets stuck “on” in a way I didn’t expect would happen. If I use Z-wave to turn it off, I hear the relay click and the little guide light turns on, but the controlled lamp stays powered. If I press the switch physically, it turns off fully. Is this something I can fix with some sort of reset, or should I just expel the slightly-terrifying hardware from my home and replace it?

I've got multiple Homeseer WD100 Z-wave switches and they don't do anything like that.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 20, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thermopyle posted:

I've got multiple Homeseer WD100 Z-wave switches and they don't do anything like that.

Oh yeah, I have about a dozen switches or dimmers deployed, and this is the only one that behaves this way. Turns out that the physical switch doesn’t always turn the current off either, but it does make the relay sound and turn on the off light.

Wonder if it wasn’t quite installed correctly! I’ll take a look later this week.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

Oh yeah, I have about a dozen switches or dimmers deployed, and this is the only one that behaves this way. Turns out that the physical switch doesn’t always turn the current off either, but it does make the relay sound and turn on the off light.

Wonder if it wasn’t quite installed correctly! I’ll take a look later this week.

Or the relay contacts are cooked and stick occasionally.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Or the relay contacts are cooked and stick occasionally.

Yeah, I'm coming up with nothing for "installation problem" and everything that points to "poo poo is broken".

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I thought people only used Hue automations so that the Echo devices didn’t need a cloud service to contact to control the integrated devices. Can’t you use Casa Nabu or the self-hosted version and avoid all of that? Then you can expose things that don’t look like lights, etc.

Yep the "paid-for" home assistant cloud integration works perfectly with Alexa. You can choose what to expose and it "just works". I use it to expose lights, temperature sensors and scripts so far.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Cornjob posted:

My dream is either

If the echo buttons aren't reliable enough for you then I think you'll need to use another platform to trigger your routines. Personally i use these Xiaomi Zigbee switches(https://www.banggood.com/Original-Xiaomi-Smart-Wireless-Switch-p-1045081.html?rmmds=search). They do however need a separate hub. I use Home Assistant to integrate the multiple systems and they work 100% reliably for me. I think they also have an Alexa skill to integrate natively, but i have not tried this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I'm coming up with nothing for "installation problem" and everything that points to "poo poo is broken".

Indeed, I need to order some switches for another room anyway, so I’ll get a replacement here too. Thanks as always for good advice!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

:lol:
Consumer electronics, it's 50/50.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Slash posted:

Yep the "paid-for" home assistant cloud integration works perfectly with Alexa. You can choose what to expose and it "just works". I use it to expose lights, temperature sensors and scripts so far.
Home Assistant is something I want to avoid in the case of my pal. I opted for OpenHAB, because it's more GUI based (and even then it's not fully featured, things like tags aren't available in the GUI, and these are necessary for Alexa integration). Still too much via config files in HA. OpenHAB has myopenhab.com, but they've disabled device discovery a few months ago because "server load", so I can't just that for Alexa anymore. If there's a commercial option, the guy is too much of s cheapskate for that.

I'm still surprised that there isn't a proper solution that doesn't require make-pretend on the local network.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I guess this is a long shot, but has anyone come up with a way yet for me to talk to Home Assistant remotely without subscribing to Home Assistant Cloud and without webhooks (so that I don't have to expose anything to the internet)? I have a VPS running somewhere, if that helps.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Might be the wrong place to ask this, but what's the best route for wiring audio into a bathroom for a shower etc?

I have a battery powered Bluetooth guy I'm using in another bathroom and I'm happy to get another, but being that I'm fully gutting this bathroom I want to do things properly if it's not too crazy.

Anything else I should add in there home automation wise while I'm in?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Argue posted:

I guess this is a long shot, but has anyone come up with a way yet for me to talk to Home Assistant remotely without subscribing to Home Assistant Cloud and without webhooks (so that I don't have to expose anything to the internet)? I have a VPS running somewhere, if that helps.
I have Wireguard as VPN running at home, running in always-on mode on my phone, forwarding only traffic destined for my home network over it (so that anything else just goes over the wire as before). Works fine. I'm using the Home Assistant Android app like this and also feeding OwnTracks data back to it over the VPN link (instead of a HTTP endpoint exposed on the web).

Wireguard is stateless. Means you don't need to specifically connect with a login or anything. You set the application up with the public key stuff, and that's it. If Wireguard receives traffic and can decrypt and authenticate it, it'll happily communicate with you. If it can't, it doesn't respond at all (it uses UDP, so there's no connection setup a la TCP), acting like there's nothing running on the assigned port. Pretty safe option.

If you're using hass.io, there's a docker image available for it on their add-on store.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Sounds good; I think I can do something with that! I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Unrelated question: What's the best way for me to get notified that there was a blackout? I don't need to get a notification during the blackout hours themselves (the place I live has fast backup generators), I just need a decent way for me to get informed that my pi running hass.io rebooted. My current solution is: upon startup, wait 5 minutes (for the internet and wifi to come back up), then send me a message over Telegram. The problem is that 5 minutes may not be enough, or may be too long, depending on how my ISP/wifi is feeling.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

w00tmonger posted:

Might be the wrong place to ask this, but what's the best route for wiring audio into a bathroom for a shower etc?
There's a ton of Bathroom Fan/Light units that have built-in bluetooth speaker modes so maybe look into that? Some also have a nightlight mode.
Personally we just went with an occupancy sensor and a 5watt bulb for those mid night bathroom/bottle feeding moments and it works great. Doesn't blind you out of your half-asleep state.

You could also get a smart dimmer to replace the on/off switch for your bathroom lights or to feed your floor if you have heated flooring.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 24, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Can any of you speak to how hard it is to use Tradfri bulbs with a Hue bridge? Some people on the internet say it's easy, others say it's a huge pain in the rear end.

I'm specifically interested in these ones and would be intending to use their dimming and color temperature adjustment features. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-e12-600-lumen-wireless-dimmable-white-spectrum-opal-40408592/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

wolrah posted:

Can any of you speak to how hard it is to use Tradfri bulbs with a Hue bridge? Some people on the internet say it's easy, others say it's a huge pain in the rear end.

I'm specifically interested in these ones and would be intending to use their dimming and color temperature adjustment features. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-e12-600-lumen-wireless-dimmable-white-spectrum-opal-40408592/

I have the tradfri bridge along with some bulbs and incorporate them in a Homekit setup and I’m pretty happy with it. Is there an advantage in going with the Hue bridge apart from not having to get another bridge?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Is Hikvision still the IP camera to get?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

Is Hikvision still the IP camera to get?

Dahua

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Are they the ones you need to look for a specific firmware or something? I have vague recollections of something like that...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

Are they the ones you need to look for a specific firmware or something? I have vague recollections of something like that...

Buy them from Andy on IPCamTalk or his Amazon store, he loads legit US firmware on them. He's good for support, too.

I've got a pile of Starlight sensor cameras, and they've been really good. Wide variety of options/prices.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
B&H is also a licensed Dahua dealer in the U.S. now, so you can order from them too for the legit firmware.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

priznat posted:

I have the tradfri bridge along with some bulbs and incorporate them in a Homekit setup and I’m pretty happy with it. Is there an advantage in going with the Hue bridge apart from not having to get another bridge?
Just to sidestep any possible XY problem issues, here's a rough summary of what I'm trying to accomplish and why I'm looking at these.

I have a single-switch ceiling fan/light combo in my bedroom with three candelabra bulbs. I've been looking for a solution to allow me to dim my lights and control them with Google Home without messing with the fan or rewiring anything. It's a rental and I have permission to do low voltage work like ethernet cables but I don't touch anything inside the wall as far as mains power goes.

I saw the Lutron Aurora and that seemed like a perfect fit for my needs, and was about to buy the $25/ea Hue bulbs when I decided to check if Ikea had a candelabra bulb yet. They did, for a lot less money, so here we are.

I do have a Home Assistant setup so if it's possible to bridge a dimmer attached to my Hue bridge over to the Ikea bridge to control lamps then that may be an option, the Ikea bridge is cheap or I might just get a direct Zigbee stick, but I figured since there is some level of integration between Hue and Tradfri that it might be more reliable and lower latency to do things that way and keep all my smart lighting within one platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Curious to hear how it goes! I had heard it was doable but fiddly in some articles but I ended up just getting tradfri and no hue items anyway.

Worst case gotta pick up a tradfri bridge if that goes south..

Unrelated I don’t recommend Homekit Secure video. I changed my logitech circle 2s over and it’s pretty basic and misses a lot of motion and is very slow to load the stream compared to the logi app. Also no web based viewer from pc etc. I think I will contact logitech support about the firmware rollback.