Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think Disney is a bog-standard corporate entity and they are going to go whole-hog into their streaming shows because That's what people like now and they're all going to be prequel stories about main-characters that everybody is sick of, or WAY too invested in emotionally to enjoy from an objective standpoint.

They will 100% misinterpret why people liked Mandalorian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

I wonder if they'll do Epic Crossover Episodes once the Cassian, Mandalorian, Obi-Wan, and Aphra series are all in full swing.

It could either be really cool or really wack.

What are Cassian and Obi-Wan going to show up as? Dust?

bring back old gbs posted:

I think Disney is a bog-standard corporate entity and they are going to go whole-hog into their streaming shows because That's what people like now and they're all going to be prequel stories about main-characters that everybody is sick of, or WAY too invested in emotionally to enjoy from an objective standpoint.

They will 100% misinterpret why people liked Mandalorian

The one thing that Film Crit Hulk's essay got wrong about TLJ is his belief that Disney canceling all the annual releases like the Boba Fett movie after Solo was a sign of Disney having their "Tower of Babylon" moment where they realize that they've gone in the wrong direction and need to figure themselves out. And it turns out they were just going to hand JJ Abrams the last movie and let him retcon the whole previous one out of spite, creating one of the worst reviewed Star Wars movies of all time.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Owlbear Camus posted:

I wonder if they'll do Epic Crossover Episodes once the Cassian, Mandalorian, Obi-Wan, and Aphra series are all in full swing.

Wouldn't these be all over the place timeline-wise?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

chitoryu12 posted:

What are Cassian and Obi-Wan going to show up as? Dust?

:shrug:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Phenotype posted:

If this was true, then Holdo is an idiot for risking everyone's life on an almost guaranteed to fail maneuver and should have told people what her plans were.

There was no risk to everyone's life. As I recall it, the original plan was to offload everyone into the troop ships, cloak them and then land on the salt planet while the big ship kept going on jumping into hyperspace and leading the First Order on a wild goose chase at the end of which they destroy the big ship and assume they've killed the Resistance. Holdo still dies (or maybe she has some other way to escape), but the rest of the Resistance lives to rebuild and fight another day.

Except that "DJ Del Toro" hosed that plan by showing the First Order how to see through the cloaks. The First Order was therefore destroying the troop ships because it could see and track them. So, either Holdo does this "almost certain to fail" maneuver or everyone dies anyway because the First Order kills them all.

You can argue that there other stuff that should have been done, but at that moment the choice Holdo faced was "certain death for everyone" versus "not quite certain death for everyone."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Everyone posted:

Also, someone with a vagina did it. Vaginas are BAD because grognards don't get access to them. Luke in ANH and the dude in RotJ who crashed into the bridge had penises, so they were okay.

Suggesting that anybody who disagrees with you is doing so because they're sexist is really loving bullshit, don't do it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

Anyone who needs "Why don't we just exclusively use suicide bombing tactics" explained to them as being a bad idea isn't as smart as they think they are.

What about the empire though? You think the empire wouldn't do that poo poo?

Also, what about loving droids? We know nobody cares about them.

But you don't even need droids because you have computers.

It wouldn't be suicide bombing, it would be drone x-wings that are fire-and-forget and warp to another system on their own before warping into the death star.

Everybody could be drinking lemonade on Yavin while the Death Star blows up. No need to dirty your hands and risk pilots lives.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thetis could simply grab Achilles under the arms for an additional dunk in the River Styx up to his waist, which would have gotten the spot she missed holding him by the ankle. This would rendered him fully invulnerable. What parent would leave their mostly-invulnerable son with a glaring weak point?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hey guys, have you heard of this new show called The Mandalorian?
I heard is cool and rad.

Edit: seriously that was a lot of movie talk in the disney+ thread.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Desperado Bones posted:

I heard is cool and rad.

The show has been over for a few weeks now. What's to talk about?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Owlbear Camus posted:

I suppose it's possible. The Mandalorian is set nine years after Episode Four and Mando seems to be in his mid 30s to early 40s (Pedro Pascal is 44 now). So, I could see a younger version of the character in a situation where he meets Obi-Wan, encounters Cassian or pursues Aphra (as fallout for some of her disaster lesbianing).

Zaphod42 posted:

Suggesting that anybody who disagrees with you is doing so because they're sexist is really loving bullshit, don't do it

I call things as I see them and you are free to do the same.

Not for nothing but I've found that a good part of the unrealistic/Mary Sue/useless talk tends to center on characters like Holdo, Rey and Rose. And what gender are those characters? Exactly.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

In season 2 I hope we find out more about Dune.

One thing they'll have to devote a little explanation to is if Gideon keeps coming hard with even more Remnant resources, why not drop a dime on him to the New Republic? Yeah they're drawing down and war weary but it can't hurt to try to X-Wing SWAT him even if they're a while in coming.

New Republic Ex Machina was a nice easy way to deal with the Space Station of Betrayal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Really wasn’t an deus ex machina as the locator and distress call was established way earlier and part of the plot

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

The show has been over for a few weeks now. What's to talk about?

memes.
that's all is left in this joyless world ( until fall this year).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Seems like the safest loving place for Mando to take the child would be republic space. We know why Cara won't go there but no word on why Din won't, so far. Go to Coruscant!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would pay a lot of money to see a second Waititi Star Wars movie. Maybe he will get the Mandolorian movie (if made).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Owlbear Camus posted:

One thing they'll have to devote a little explanation to is if Gideon keeps coming hard with even more Remnant resources, why not drop a dime on him to the New Republic? Yeah they're drawing down and war weary but it can't hurt to try to X-Wing SWAT him even if they're a while in coming.

New Republic Ex Machina was a nice easy way to deal with the Space Station of Betrayal.

Drone strike a general of a sovereign power? Don't be preposterous! No one would do that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Seems like the safest loving place for Mando to take the child would be republic space. We know why Cara won't go there but no word on why Din won't, so far. Go to Coruscant!

Problem is, he either has to raise it to adulthood (and it's 50 years old and still a baby so good luck with that) or find its "clan" to return it by his Mandalorian code.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

euphronius posted:

Really wasn’t an deus ex machina as the locator and distress call was established way earlier and part of the plot

It was literally a machine that called forth the New Republic. :colbert:

No it was fine it was set-up and payoff; I'm just saying they don't have a lot to lose calling in a tip and seeing if it gets him Y-Winged out of the Moff business.

Is there any chance he was recorded on the prison ship? Because if so that's a burned with nuclear fire bridge for him.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

euphronius posted:

I would pay a lot of money to see a second Waititi Star Wars movie. Maybe he will get the Mandolorian movie (if made).

There was a clickbait-ish news article circulating around talking about a probable mando movie if the show did well.

But I fear the monkey paw will curl all its fingers at once and we will end with a mess of a movie.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

But I fear the monkey paw will curl all its fingers at once and we will end with a mess of a movie.

I feel like you've got a Firefly situation where the movie will be... fine but suffer a bit from having to have Cinematic Stakes where the entire fate of the 'verse galaxy has to be in the balance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I feel like you've got a Firefly situation where the movie will be... fine but suffer a bit from having to have Cinematic Stakes where the entire fate of the 'verse galaxy has to be in the balance.

Yeahhh, writers really gotta learn that small personal stakes matter more to audiences than hearing that the fate of countless faceless fictional people are in the balance.

"Oh no, the bad guys are gonna blow up a rebel planet full of innocent people!" <- meh

"Oh no, he's going to kill baby yoda!" <- DON'T YOU loving DARE

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Problem is, he either has to raise it to adulthood (and it's 50 years old and still a baby so good luck with that) or find its "clan" to return it by his Mandalorian code.

Has the nu-canon established yet when Luke started his new Jedi Camp? Wonder if there actually is a clan for the child to return to yet or if it's still literally just Luke going solo.

Alternatively Mando could try to find the Yoda Planet instead, I guess

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
According to the currently ongoing Kylo Ren comic, Ben, Luke and Lor San Tekka were traveling around the galaxy around 12-13 years post-Endor. So I doubt Luke has other students who were left behind. So In the time frame of the show, Luke is about 7-8 years away from bringing in other students.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Owlbear Camus posted:

I get the idea that even now the New Republic's attitude is pretty much, "If somebody specifically fucks with us, we'll X-Wing them out. Otherwise, we don't care."

Beyond that it depends on how long it takes for Mando to find out about the Darksaber. Because figure at that point, his quarrel with Gideon becomes deeply personal and he also doesn't want to New Republic to take the Darksaber and stick it in a museum or something.

I agree with the hope that we learn more about Dune.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is there any chance he was recorded on the prison ship? Because if so that's a burned with nuclear fire bridge for him.

I think it's extremely likely that Mando was recorded on the ship. Even if he wasn't, the people he left there will probably rat him out.

That said, he's probably not on the NR's "Most Wanted" list at this point. For whatever reason, figure Cara Dune is.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean the capital of space probably is a good place to look for information

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I think Cara Dune going against orders and getting her personal revenge on when the NR start cutting deals, pardoning, and Paperclipping in ex imperials as someone upthread suggested is a likely answer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My guess is Mando will start running into First Order problems if the show continues

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Owlbear Camus posted:

You could have Kuiil show up in each series, with a different occupation that helps the protag.

I have spoken.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burning_Monk posted:

You could have Kuiil show up in each series, with a different occupation that helps the protag.

I have spoken.

He dies in each season finale

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Coruscant / Hosnian Prime really aren’t traditional settings for westerns. Too many people.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

euphronius posted:

Coruscant / Hosnian Prime really aren’t traditional settings for westerns. Too many people.

Mando and The Child in The Big City could have some fun fish out of water potential. One of the only parts I liked of the feculent Dark Tower adaptation was the Roland in New York stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

I heard is cool and rad.

These arguments break out in Goons with Spoons threads there's no way it's not going to happen here

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Everyone posted:

Not for nothing but I've found that a good part of the unrealistic/Mary Sue/useless talk tends to center on characters like Holdo, Rey and Rose. And what gender are those characters? Exactly.

Or they did a lousy job making characters

No, it definitely has to be the one gives you an immediate way to attack the person and put them on the defensive rather than engage them about the idea they're expressing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ninjahedgehog posted:

Has the nu-canon established yet when Luke started his new Jedi Camp? Wonder if there actually is a clan for the child to return to yet or if it's still literally just Luke going solo.

Alternatively Mando could try to find the Yoda Planet instead, I guess

I checked the wiki and Ben Solo began his training in 15 ABY, which is 5 years after The Mandalorian takes place. I believe at this point Luke would still be exploring the galaxy and building his collection of Jedi texts.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sash! posted:

Or they did a lousy job making characters

I have no problem believing that as well. The second trilogy suffered from seriously poor writing and general "thinking stuff out" in all three movies. The small bit of saving grace in the trilogy was the sheer determination of the actors to commit to their roles. So yeah, sucking writing and characterization is part of it. But it's not the whole thing.

Fine, Rey, Rose and Holdo were poorly written characters. But so were Kylo, Poe and Finn. The writing sucked for everyone. But the ones who still tended to eat the majority of the poo poo were the women.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That’s why I like TLJ so much. Rian Johnson actually took JJ’s carbon copies of the original trilogy and tried to make it more complex and the characters more human. There’s actual arcs for people other than Kylo.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
according to rotj a snub fighter only needs to laser or missile the orbs on top of a star destroyer (which look trivial to blow up like everything else in star wars) and then crash into the bridge. Why does the empire even use star destroyers?

TLJ points out in the movie the exact same ways you can handwave the rotj poo poo. The FO could shoot down holdos ship but they specifically ignore the ship in dialogue because they are bloodthirsty. When they realize the danger its too late.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jerkface posted:

according to rotj a snub fighter only needs to laser or missile the orbs on top of a star destroyer (which look trivial to blow up like everything else in star wars) and then crash into the bridge. Why does the empire even use star destroyers?

TLJ points out in the movie the exact same ways you can handwave the rotj poo poo. The FO could shoot down holdos ship but they specifically ignore the ship in dialogue because they are bloodthirsty. When they realize the danger its too late.

The Star Destroyers have shields that you need to take down before fighters can just blow poo poo up.

That actually makes the final battle in Rise of Skywalker so dumb that I was seeing problems while it was ongoing. They have lines about how the Star Destroyers can’t raise shields while still on Exegol (which has never been a problem before?) but none of the fighters just shoot the stuff they need to blow up. They even fly right past them while letting the ground troops die for no good reason trying to drop grenades down hatches or hack into turbolasers from the outside! The sole Y-Wing blowing up a superlaser by itself with a gun run was the only smart pilot in the whole Resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

chitoryu12 posted:

The Star Destroyers have shields that you need to take down before fighters can just blow poo poo up.

The orbs on top of the bridge are the shield generators. You do not need to bring the shields down to get them if youre close enough.