Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

No Wave posted:

A lot of things I thought were bad, like Athena's boon that increases deflected projectile damage, ended actually being decent. But the bad Hermes buffs are indeed really terrible.

I'm convinced that for non-timed runs Aphrodite is the best god for basic runs but Artemis has the most highroll potential with chaos buffs etc.

Athena's deflect is amazing and that boost is waaaay better than decent. Deflect doesn't just work on projectiles. It's all attacks. That can translate to a truckload of extra damage when you start doing more phone booth range fighting.

I like Aphrodite a lot, but mostly for privileged status now. By the time you start bumping up heat, you generally shouldn't be getting hit that frequently. So the damage negation of weakness isn't that important anymore. These days I'm less likely to take Aphrodite than even Poseidon.

What Hermes boons do you think are bad? I like almost everything from him, even though some are still way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't think that I've ever been disappointed with a Hermes buff.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Passing Through seems bad but I've never taken it, the rest are at least pretty good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

What Hermes boons do you think are bad? I like almost everything from him, even though some are still way better.
Passing through and relative speed. Certainly one of the stronger gods otherwise.

quote:

I like Aphrodite a lot, but mostly for privileged status now. By the time you start bumping up heat, you generally shouldn't be getting hit that frequently. So the damage negation of weakness isn't that important anymore. These days I'm less likely to take Aphrodite than even Poseidon.
I'm skeptical of this logic. Getting hit is the primary way you lose the game no matter what heat you're on. It's the most important resource to manage alongside time in timed runs, and you can usually trade health for time vs bosses. You can even reroll centaur hearts into gold if you're that confident, which aphrodite again lets you do more aggressively. Maybe at super high heats time is literally the only consideration and you can take survival completely for granted even at 100 HP, in which case you'd be right. (the only three 32 heat runs on youtube I could find all used aphrodite dash)

Aphrodite giving a damage buff as well as privileged status is why she's good though yeah.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 10, 2020

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Aphrodite is amazing on things with high base damage because I'm pretty sure she has the best attack multiplier or any boss. Also all the weak based duo boons are amazing for damage.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Strong %dmg increase, strong defensive status effect and 3 sec privileged status enabler make Aphrodite a good addition to any build. She's probably the best "secondary" god you can get overall.

QuarkJets posted:

I have. I was offered the movespeed/dodge after casting boon, passing through and the bad legendary. Still a great god overall.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 10, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

QuarkJets posted:

Anything related to movement speed feels kind of pointless. Whether it's in or out of combat I'm usually moving around by dashing constantly, and the movement speed of enemies usually isn't important besides maybe for the chariot enemies in Elysium. It's kind of weird that Relative Speed is one of the legendaries when Greatest Reflex is significantly better even if it's only giving you one or two extra dashes. +3 dashes with the Athena boon and you basically don't take damage for the rest of the run.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Anything related to movement speed feels kind of pointless. Whether it's in or out of combat I'm usually moving around by dashing constantly, and the movement speed of enemies usually isn't important besides maybe for the chariot enemies in Elysium. It's kind of weird that Relative Speed is one of the legendaries when Greatest Reflex is significantly better even if it's only giving you one or two extra dashes. +3 dashes with the Athena boon and you basically don't take damage for the rest of the run.

The +100% movespeed after Dash is an OK consolation prize for not getting +X dashes. But yeah.

Greater Recall really shouldn't be a Legendary since it's really just a QoL thing. Should be Tier 1.

The +20% movespeed one feels pretty much worthless, extra Dash or even movespeed on Dash is way better. The slowdown on upon passing is also pretty drat bad. Second Wind is also imo pretty bad unless you have a Call that you particular want to be spamming every 1/4 bar. Quick Recovery is fairly nice since you're probably dashing like a mad man all the time and can amount to a 30% damage reduction though I'd rather just have a high-dodge chance roll.

So I'd say about 2/3rd are really good, and 1/3rd are meh/"sell it" territory.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Xaris posted:

Greater Recall really shouldn't be a Legendary since it's really just a QoL thing. Should be Tier 1.

I've still never run into it but apparently the Hades/Artemis duo boon that turns your casts into enemy-seeking blade rifts is super busted. Greater Recall probably makes it game breaking, but that's a pretty niche situation to run into.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

No Wave posted:

Passing through and relative speed. Certainly one of the stronger gods otherwise.

Interesting. Those aren't usually boons that I'm seeking out, but I've found them to be good and helpful still when I got them. Both are, again, really good for close range phone booth fighting since the enemy slowdown also decreases the speed/frequency of attacks. I vastly prefer extra dashes still, but...

quote:

I'm skeptical of this logic. Getting hit is the primary way you lose the game no matter what heat you're on. It's the most important resource to manage alongside time in timed runs, and you can usually trade health for time vs bosses. You can even reroll centaur hearts into gold if you're that confident, which aphrodite again lets you do more aggressively. Maybe at super high heats time is literally the only consideration and you can take survival completely for granted even at 100 HP, in which case you'd be right. (the only three 32 heat runs on youtube I could find all used aphrodite dash)

Aphrodite giving a damage buff as well as privileged status is why she's good though yeah.

Yeah, I'm in no way implying she isn't good, because she obviously is. And I don't play with super high heat either. A bunch of this comes down to style preferences. I just feel like I get more benefit from speccing around other things. The times now when I mostly find myself taking damage are in the boss fights (where weak can obviously be nice) and when there's an overwhelming number of trash mobs in tight quarters. At those times, I really just want to make some quick kills to make breathing room. I feel like I get good damage out of Aphrodite, but it's always less than I can get out of others, especially Artemis and Athena. I might feel differently if I did a better job of building around Privileged Status, but mostly I treat it like a nice bonus when I can get it instead of something I'm actively seeking or planning around. I never really see enough difference to make it a priority.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It surprises me that so may people feel this way. I used to run Zag aspect on the sword a bunch before they nerfed the special and the hardest part of moving on was losing the 30% speed boost. Even dashing constantly, you spend a significant amount of time running while your dash resets. One of the dumb ways I still catch damage now is by dashing all the time because I'm doing it for position, then I don't have a dash available at the split second I need it when there's an attack coming I can't outrun. Speed helps with that a lot because running for position becomes a more viable option. Enemy speed boons are nice for some of the same reason, but also due to the attack frequency thing I mentioned above.

Xaris posted:

I love Greater Recall, but it makes a lot of cast builds pretty game breakingly strong. I can see why they make it rare.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Xaris posted:

The +100% movespeed after Dash is an OK consolation prize for not getting +X dashes. But yeah.

The +20% movespeed one feels pretty much worthless, extra Dash or even movespeed on Dash is way better. The slowdown on upon passing is also pretty drat bad. Second Wind is also imo pretty bad unless you have a Call that you particular want to be spamming every 1/4 bar. Quick Recovery is fairly nice since you're probably dashing like a mad man all the time and can amount to a 30% damage reduction though I'd rather just have a high-dodge chance roll.

So I'd say about 2/3rd are really good, and 1/3rd are meh/"sell it" territory.

Greater Recall is not a QoL thing, it's just plain busted if you have a cast build. It massively increases your dps because normally collecting casts is time you're not casting. If you have Poseidon sword or the Artemis cast boons it's pretty bonkers.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

It surprises me that so may people feel this way. I used to run Zag aspect on the sword a bunch before they nerfed the special and the hardest part of moving on was losing the 30% speed boost. Even dashing constantly, you spend a significant amount of time running while your dash resets. One of the dumb ways I still catch damage now is by dashing all the time because I'm doing it for position, then I don't have a dash available at the split second I need it when there's an attack coming I can't outrun. Speed helps with that a lot because running for position becomes a more viable option. Enemy speed boons are nice for some of the same reason, but also due to the attack frequency thing I mentioned above.

I didn't realize the enemy ones reduced attack frequency, the wording they use is "enemy speed reduction" and thought that just meant movement speed. If it's an actual DPS reduction then yeah that's pretty significant. Movement speed is the sort of thing that I would expect to be better given the parallels with games like Gungeon where any sort of speed upgrade is great, but playing the game I just don't feel it. It's probably a matter of play style more than anything else. It seems like a lot of people play the game in a relatively cautious way where they keep distance and pick their moments between attacks to minimize damage, I mostly just dash directly at everything on the screen and melee blitz them down as fast as possible while making up whatever health I lose from either the +3 at the end of each room or health restoration items if I'm getting dangerously low. Might have to change that as my heat levels increase, but I'm at ~5 on most weapons at the moment and it's still good enough to clear a run most of the time as long as I don't get shafted on boon RNG.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

WarpedLichen posted:

Greater Recall is not a QoL thing, it's just plain busted if you have a cast build. It massively increases your dps because normally collecting casts is time you're not casting. If you have Poseidon sword or the Artemis cast boons it's pretty bonkers.

Yeah I guess that's fair. The one time I ever had it come up available to buy (getting 3 hermes is really pretty rare in my experience, sans buying the 400-gold one at the end of the game but then you're p much about to face Hades) I didn't find it very helpful because I also had +3 dash and could zip around collecting them, but also often they just get stuck in bosses and stuff and even if you're using Poisedon Sword they'll drop next to you. Still, seems a tad overvalued for only being great in a specific build.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've definitely noticed enemies attacking slower with Hermes's pass-through boon, including bosses. Probably more useful if you're already going to be in their face constantly, though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I love movement speed, like I always get the $10 movement speed buff when it's offered. You usually only get two dashes with a cooldown so simply being able to walk faster makes dodging and positioning a lot easier.

Like that other poster said, even if you constantly hit the dash button you're still going to spend a lot of time walking, even during combat. The fact that your dashes have a cooldown is what makes the chaos movement curse actually somewhat debilitating

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I didn't realize the enemy ones reduced attack frequency, the wording they use is "enemy speed reduction" and thought that just meant movement speed. If it's an actual DPS reduction then yeah that's pretty significant. Movement speed is the sort of thing that I would expect to be better given the parallels with games like Gungeon where any sort of speed upgrade is great, but playing the game I just don't feel it. It's probably a matter of play style more than anything else. It seems like a lot of people play the game in a relatively cautious way where they keep distance and pick their moments between attacks to minimize damage, I mostly just dash directly at everything on the screen and melee blitz them down as fast as possible while making up whatever health I lose from either the +3 at the end of each room or health restoration items if I'm getting dangerously low. Might have to change that as my heat levels increase, but I'm at ~5 on most weapons at the moment and it's still good enough to clear a run most of the time as long as I don't get shafted on boon RNG.

The boons that only effect movement speed will specify "movement speed", everything else includes attack speed

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Welp, I've ascended to the point where I don't think I can lose with the shield. I wish you could get stacking rewards from heat all at once. As in, run with 20 even if your current was at 5 and get 5-19 rewards.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I do wish there was an easier way to get Titan Blood after you beat the Furies with all the weapons

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Buying it from the end of a run (available seemingly ~80% of the time) is pretty easy

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Once you start getting regular clears and going up heat & bounties you'll have plenty. Otherwise, saving 1500 over a run gives you good shot at getting one. Maxing out every weapon spec is a big ask, but you can get good levels in the ones you want soon enough.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I've still never run into it but apparently the Hades/Artemis duo boon that turns your casts into enemy-seeking blade rifts is super busted. Greater Recall probably makes it game breaking, but that's a pretty niche situation to run into.

Damage on that is obscene. I beat the final boss in in 30 seconds with it, and he spent about 15 of invincible.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sick spear run just now. I hadn't used flurry jab in a while. Turns out it works real good when you end up going all-in for Zeus and then throw in support fire, though it could have been way stronger if I hadn't picked up several irrelevant Ares boons.

Support fire is one of my favorite boons at this point. It's cool, I'm never unhappy to get it, and weapons with fast attacks get a serious boost.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 11, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

pray for my aunt posted:

Once you start getting regular clears and going up heat & bounties you'll have plenty. Otherwise, saving 1500 over a run gives you good shot at getting one. Maxing out every weapon spec is a big ask, but you can get good levels in the ones you want soon enough.

i've always had like 150-200 going in to Styx, tell me ur secrets

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

i've always had like 150-200 going in to Styx, tell me ur secrets

I only have one reroll because it took a crazy amount of keys and 1000 darkness per reroll, but I also unlocked it where picking up keys gives me another reroll... and I'm guessing after you have all the reroll stuff maxed out, you can set up your run and be comfortable skipping shops.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I'm gonna be honest, as somebody working my way through the low heat levels, that sounds way harder than just clearing more levels. Especially because the fated prophecy list gives you a bit more bonus blood to work with, so long as you're willing to do things like switch up pacts every run.

Maybe once you start getting to medium heat it's less trouble just buying the blood than playing with a bunch of simultaneous conditions though?

Jossar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 11, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You get a lot of blood. It takes about 200 blood to max out everything and I know you get at least 20 blood from contracts so clearing each weapon up to 18 heat will get you everything. Getting a favorite weapon of each type up to max will take less than 100 blood and winning up to heat 10 with all the weapons should be doable for anyone (eventually).

I'm still forever short on nectar. Maybe when I can start turning keys into nectar it'll get better.

(this is all moot as I imagine samovar hasnt gotten to the second blood in each run yet)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 11, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

what punishments do you like taking, anyways? they all seem like right fuckers

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ciaphas posted:

+ enemies per room and extreme measures seem like gimmies; the former because enemies drop gold so it's harder but also more rewarding, the latter because eventually the bosses become braindead either way and they're not that much harder on extreme measures for how much heat it gives you (+5 heat to make three rooms slightly harder? yeah sure)

the one that makes all enemies ignore one hit also seems like a gimmie for most weapons since you'll be spamming out attacks like crazy with the sword, the gun, and possibly the spear and shield and them ignoring the first hit of 20 is pretty irrelevant, especially on bosses

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Athena in Elysium is the worst. Invulnerable shield fuckers just take forever to kill.

No Wave posted:

You get a lot of blood. It takes about 200 blood to max out everything and I know you get at least 20 blood from contracts so clearing each weapon up to 18 heat will get you everything. Getting a favorite weapon of each type up to max will take less than 100 blood and winning up to heat 10 with all the weapons should be doable for anyone (eventually).

I'm still forever short on nectar. Maybe when I can start turning keys into nectar it'll get better.

(this is all moot as I imagine samovar hasnt gotten to the second blood in each run yet)

I never change fate for blue gates, you often end up changing shadow and a small amount of health for... a key to replace the die you just cast.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Okay, so I realized that if I was going to dunk on the blood thing, I should at least prove that I could do it:

(Charon didn't cooperate, but the principle is the same.)

I did it without using any of my rerolls, I did use the Hypnos trinket for 200 extra gold, but as it turned out, it wasn't necessary.

There isn't really a secret other than just having the run not go horribly wrong, being moderately focused on coin, and being very, very sparing with shops and the well.

Still don't think it's worth it, generally speaking.

EDIT: Best pact is still something i'm having difficulty figuring out because I haven't stuck with a pact for more than a single run. The damage ignoring one looks like an easy add, because as mentioned you spam shots all the time. Apart from that it's all about what annoys you the least. If you always get caught out by traps, then the trap one is horrible, otherwise it's free heat. If you only need a small amount of boons for your perfect build and end up with awkward spares, then the one that takes them away every zone does no harm. I don't like playing on time limit mode, but have to admit it's probably one of the easier ones once you get used to that kind of pace.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 11, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

kaschei posted:

I never change fate for blue gates, you often end up changing shadow and a small amount of health for... a key to replace the die you just cast.
Oh, I mean trading 5 keys for 1 nectar at the bar.

Ciaphas posted:

Extreme measures for sure. I'm still only around 5 heat so to do 4 I added forced overtime.

I think forced overtime is something worth getting used to so I'm going to work up to +50% to get up to 10 heat, then the first time constraint/+1 blue heart/a few more enemies and maybe a rank of reduced healing to get up to 16.

I really want to avoid doing trap damage as long as possible because I am not used to Hydra 2.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jossar posted:

I'm gonna be honest, as somebody working my way through the low heat levels, that sounds way harder than just clearing more levels. Especially because the fated prophecy list gives you a bit more bonus blood to work with, so long as you're willing to do things like switch up pacts every run.

Maybe once you start getting to medium heat it's less trouble just buying the blood than playing with a bunch of simultaneous conditions though?

Buying blood in Styx lets you get 50% more blood per run, for the small price of taking a couple extra obel rooms and not buying other stuff. My fated prophecies sources exhausted pretty fast

Think of doing it as an extra, repeatable prophecy if you want

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

No Wave posted:

I think forced overtime is something worth getting used to so I'm going to work up to +50% to get up to 10 heat, then the first time constraint/+1 blue heart/a few more enemies and maybe a rank of reduced healing to get up to 16.

I really want to avoid doing trap damage as long as possible because I am not used to Hydra 2.

Yeah, I'm running extreme measures 3, forced overtime 50% and the default Hell Mode stuff for the same reasons. It's really worth getting used to if you're going to play on very high heat.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Took the rail, got the rocket upgrade, got the fire special 3 times quickly upgrade, and the Artemis upgrade for special and...yeah that's pretty much all you need. 700+ damage crits and you've got plenty of opportunities of upgrading that further.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I've found No Choice at level 1 to be fairly reasonable if you're looking for easy heat to add. It's a little bit of a bummer because boons make the game, so less choice is less fun, and especially if the exact boon you wanted is removed, but most runs will get away with it I think.

There was talk of Poseidon being relatively weak earlier and that may be true but I have to say that a Poseidon build coming together with most/all the supporting boons is probably the most fun I personally have had in this game. I love his dash. He's probably also my favorite of the olympians as a character, I have a very hard time ever turning him down. It's bad against bosses but at least Rupture does work even if they're not physically knocked back.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Zeus and Poseidon duo also works on bosses and is very strong, if you have the double knockback boon you can easily be doing hundreds of damage per hit without crits

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I tried maxed out Zag Aspect Spear and holy poo poo this was a loving stupidly good weapon. I had Artemis Special w/ Crit, Explosive Spear hammer, Special does +400% armor, 2x +60% Special Damage from Chaos, and a mixed of other things like Athena Dash and Aphro Weak on attack but I just deleted Hades without taking much damage at all and just sticking away and spamming spear and throwing Athena balls at him. It wasn't even that optimal because I could have used more Artemis Crit boons and stuff and didn't have a lot of synergy, but it just mowed through Styx with absolute ease.

I think Explosive Spear was the only mandatory part of the build, but I had so more success with Zag aspect than Achilles. Not sure how it'd have went if I didn't have it.

I guess the question is if Hades Aspect is worth using next; I think it'd be mandatory to have the Faster Spin hammer upgrade which isn't guaranteed.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Currently cruising through the 6 heat range, upgrading little things, waiting for 11 days from now when that last god comes out. Really warming up to Dionysus and Aphrodite lately, after people in here mentioned how easily they give you privileged status. I somehow thought the status only gave you +20%. Is that 50% multiplicative? It feels like it.

Sisyphus gives you two things to use and man, are they opposites in terms of power. Well, most keepsakes don't matter that much anyway. I use like four of them. Kind of a shame -- bone hourglass is great, but I'd be most likely to use it in Elysium, and I could just as easily use the bracer or distant memory or something.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
How come this game persistently forgets that I've disabled the vibration setting? I swear I need to turn it off all over again pretty much every single run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

MMAgCh posted:

How come this game persistently forgets that I've disabled the vibration setting? I swear I need to turn it off all over again pretty much every single run.

It's a beta, tell them about it