Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

We successfully got through a whole main roster WWE show without a thread specifically for it :toot: definitely the first time in years, even taped ones usually get a thread and 2-3 pages out of it

I'm proud, grateful and honestly relieved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

We successfully got through a whole main roster WWE show without a thread specifically for it :toot: definitely the first time in years, even taped ones usually get a thread and 2-3 pages out of it

Hell yeah

Progress is good

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I didn't think smackdown was very good but it was funny to see the big powerful hero roman reigns stupidly cost his family their match, then let them get their asses kicked, then get his own rear end kicked - all by the most boring flat heels on the roster.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

TheKingslayer posted:

The winner has to be the Brogue Kick. I mean how many people has Show retired or injured with the WMD?

gently caress Sheamus.

Ok I know of Jamie Noble and Dolph Ziggler (or was that ADR). Who else?

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
WWE and Fox News brand synergy ad is incredible stuff

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I made a note to myself to watch Smackdown then an hour later immediately forgot it exists

Welp

BrigadierSensible posted:

I was thinking about that. Who was the last WWE superstar, (heel or babyface), that they played/booked to the performers strengths and hid/covered up their weaknesses?

The Fiend

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I watched the Morrison thing on Youtube and goddamn the crowd did not give two fucks about any of it

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Hey guys guess what? You know how we've seen Roman Reigns vs King Corbin like 6 million times? Well its gonna happen again at the Royal Rumble, as WWE just announced it will happen.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Blaise330 posted:

Part of Roman's intro accomplishments card being "Relative of The Rock" is cute. You'd think he's done enough in the last decade to fill a card without bringing that up.

It's the explanation for his entire career though. You take it out, he makes no sense.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i hope wwe gives big show a proper retirement match

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

DarkstarIV posted:

Hey guys guess what? You know how we've seen Roman Reigns vs King Corbin like 6 million times? Well its gonna happen again at the Royal Rumble, as WWE just announced it will happen.

Does that mean Roman isn't in the Rumble match?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DarkstarIV posted:

Wait they're not in the rumble

or they have a non-title non-care match in addition to being in the rumble?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If Roman and Bryan are both not in the Rumble match I have no idea who to expect to win

If Seth wins I'm going to laugh very hard

KO maybe? Hopefully?

e: if it's Punk I will also laugh very hard

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 11, 2020

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

If I help you now it sets a bad example to my fans.

Intruder posted:

If Roman and Bryan are both not in the Rumble match I have no idea who to expect to win

If Seth wins I'm going to laugh very hard

KO maybe? Hopefully?

e: if it's Punk I will also laugh very hard

If Roman isn't in it then Cain is 100% entering at 29 and beating Brock who will have spent at least 20 mins sleeping outside the ring after eliminating everyone the crowd likes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Brock enters at 1 and eliminates everyone before the next entrant. The whole rumble is Brock beating the poo poo out of a guy and tossing him in 45 seconds. Then Brock wins and challenges himself at WM.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Smackdown Results 1/10:
  • Detailed Results here.
  • The returning John Morrison appeared on Miz TV. New Day came out to talk trash with Miz/Morrison.
  • The Miz defeated Kofi Kingston in a singles match.
  • Bray Wyatt hosted Firefly Funhouse and warned Daniel Bryan that he wants to hurt him.
  • Elias sang a song about the Royal Rumble, Mandy Rose gave Otis an apology cake.
  • Mandy Rose defeated Alexa Bliss in a singles match.
  • Sasha Banks wasn't on the show despite being booked against Lacey Evans. Lacey and Bayley brawled backstage.
  • Braun Strowman defeated Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura in a non-title match.
  • Ramblin' Rabbit got decapitated and sent as a gift to Daniel Bryan.
  • Roman Reigns challenged Baron Corbin to a match at the Royal Rumble.
  • Baron Corbin and Dolph Ziggler defeated The Usos by DQ when Roman speared Corbin.
  • Robert Roode returned and helped Corbin, Ziggler and the Revival beat down Roman and the Usos and bury Reigns under a broken table and multiple chairs.
  • Discussion of the show starts here.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Brock enters at 1 and eliminates everyone before the next entrant. The whole rumble is Brock beating the poo poo out of a guy and tossing him in 45 seconds. Then Brock wins and challenges himself at WM.

HOT SCOOPS HIGH VELOCITY: I just received secret footage from my uncle who works at WWE of Lesnar practicing for this future match: watch here!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-9qZ4Zs6Ys

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Roman had a title match then still entered rumble at #30 in 2017. The gdt's reaction was AMAZING.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DarkstarIV posted:

I would still watch for Asuka but thats it.

So we're 3 talents away from you being free. I will pray for you.

Also because I wanna see Asuka vs. Riho. Although apparently they had a tag match against each other a few years ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Smackdown used to be my favorite WWE show. I used to look forward to it every week. :smith:

Blaise330 posted:

Roman had a title match then still entered rumble at #30 in 2017.

That was after the year where they thought fans wouldn't expect Bryan in the rumble because he had a match earlier in the night, right?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Blaise330 posted:

Roman had a title match then still entered rumble at #30 in 2017. The gdt's reaction was AMAZING.

And then he eliminated Taker and this was before we all realized Taker sucks, and everybody was SO MAD.

I knew we were being worked and I didn't give a poo poo. I popped for Randy RKOing him out of the ring.

Jerusalem posted:

Smackdown used to be my favorite WWE show. I used to look forward to it every week. :smith:

That was after the year where they thought fans wouldn't expect Bryan in the rumble because he had a match earlier in the night, right?

2014 was the year Bryan wasn't in the Rumble.
2015 was the year Bryan got unceremoniously eliminated and Rock raised Roman's hand to thunderous boos.
2016 was Roman coming out at 1 and taking a long-rear end nap backstage
2017 was Roman coming out at 30.
2018 was actually good!
2019, I don't remember anything.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MJeff posted:

2016 was Roman coming out at 1 and taking a long-rear end nap backstage

Oh my God, that's right. They were taking him backstage and he pushed them all off.... so he could walk backstage (while the match was still going on!) by himself to prove what a tough guy he was (who was walking out of a match in progress). Then they were confused when people weren't blown away by him coming back later in the match.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I am super impressed that WWE has managed to use being on broadcast TV as ineffectively as UFC. That's special.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Spiderdrake posted:

Wait they're not in the rumble

or they have a non-title non-care match in addition to being in the rumble?

They are pulling double duty.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God, that's right. They were taking him backstage and he pushed them all off.... so he could walk backstage (while the match was still going on!) by himself to prove what a tough guy he was (who was walking out of a match in progress). Then they were confused when people weren't blown away by him coming back later in the match.

Apparently Roman himself didn't want to do a stretcher job and wanted to walk off under his own power.

I think this is one of those things where Moxley talked about how they're constantly playing defense and just trying to not look stupid, but Roman guessed wrong on that one. :lol:

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Becky pulled the title match loss into rumble entry too. Roman defeating his arch enemy of the last 10 months to prove he isn't a dog then winning the rumble is a possibility.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I like how some years it's like "omg there's so many potential rumble winners, this is so unpredictable!" and others its "wait, who tf could possibly have enough momentum to win a rumble right now?"

Granted alot of the first reaction was us formerly thinking every nxt callup would be a big deal. Some people predicted Kofi this year but he just got pinned by miz...

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Blaise330 posted:

Becky pulled the title match loss into rumble entry too. Roman defeating his arch enemy of the last 10 months to prove he isn't a dog then winning the rumble is a possibility.

At least when Becky did it it was (in kayfabe) not part of the plan. She came out and took Lana's spot. Roman was just #30 and you're supposed to accept and like that because Roman is the big conquering hero, obviously. You'd have loved it if Stone Cold did it, why are you marks complaining so much?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
So if he beat Owens for the universal title he woulda still been #30? We almost had roman2belts

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Kofi in April, WWE Champion

Kofi in January, 50/50 booking vs. The Mike

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

It was also during the peak of criticism about Roman having no cardio and not being able to go or wrestle. It was so bad.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
So is Miz just randomly a heel again or did they actually give a reason for the turn?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Blaise330 posted:

So if he beat Owens for the universal title he woulda still been #30? We almost had roman2belts

They could've explained away the whole thing by having Foley say "draws weren't finished yet when the match ended, Roman got screwed by Strowman, so I let him draw and he got 30." but they just never touched on it at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhonne posted:

So is Miz just randomly a heel again or did they actually give a reason for the turn?

He seemed to randomly turn heel last week, though he at least tried to offer a justification by lashing out at the crowd for booing him (AFTER his heel actions) by pointing out how Bray had invaded his home (leading to Miz being so angry he locked up with Bray and had a normal wrestling match with him).

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Two weeks til the Rumble and there's like zero hype for the match itself. I don't think I've ever seen this level of apathy in the forums for it.

I really miss the 'ol "It's almost time for :frogsiren: :slick: THE ROYAL FUCKIN' RUMBLE!!! :slick: :frogsiren:" mega hype days. Vince has finally managed to kill even that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm still excited for the Rumble, even if mostly because of the fun of the GDT :shobon:

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I forgot there was a UK Takeover later today, but three of the matches at least sound great so I guess I'll watch it blind

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Two weeks til the Rumble and there's like zero hype for the match itself. I don't think I've ever seen this level of apathy in the forums for it.

I really miss the 'ol "It's almost time for :frogsiren: :slick: THE ROYAL FUCKIN' RUMBLE!!! :slick: :frogsiren:" mega hype days. Vince has finally managed to kill even that.

7 straight years of bad finishes and deflating winners broken by one of the best endings in the history of the match, only for it to lead to a failed WM match and boring, too long feud riddled with non-finishes and one of the dumbest babyface champions in history will do that. Not even the Royal Rumble is immune from the consequences of repeated poor booking, it just gets a LOT more leeway than everything else.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I'm cool with Roman winning the rumble and beating the Fiend. He's a great wrestler and I don't mind him in the main event, I wish they could do Roman and the Usos Vs. Seth and AOP I think it could be a killer program but the brand split hinders that possibility. I hope a women's program gets hot enough to main event Mania again this year but they don't seem to be pushing anything major in the division right now. I think they should call up some women soon because there's a lot of talent in the NXT division that could shine in a big match setting, but they haven't been pushing women who can go outside of Becky, Charlotte, the Kabuki Warrirors and Sasha lately. I think turning Lacey face was a huge mistake, and she needs more time to grow as a wrestler, but I have seen her have a great match with Mia Yim at an NXT house show so I know it's possible, but the women's division needs heels that even if they aren't necessarily imposing like say a Shayna Bazler or Rhea Ripley, they can rile up the audience enough to have us want to see them lose in a big way.

My biggest disappointment of the last year is how WWE gave up on the Evolution PPV without Rousey there. They could easily draw a good enough crowd with who they have, and you could build people up to be draws in no time if you let the women go in 15-25 minute matches on TV, look how fast AEW viewers took to Riho, who is much smaller than American audiences are used to seeing in the ring. The WWE has lots of women with presence, and in my opinion the best women's roster in the world today, it's a real drag they don't use them well most of the time, and they don't call up enough women from NXT, Bianca Belair is no more green than Lacey, in my opinion she's ready for the bigger shows, she has at the very least presence and she's a pretty good promo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

TriffTshngo posted:

7 straight years of bad finishes and deflating winners broken by one of the best endings in the history of the match, only for it to lead to a failed WM match and boring, too long feud riddled with non-finishes and one of the dumbest babyface champions in history will do that. Not even the Royal Rumble is immune from the consequences of repeated poor booking, it just gets a LOT more leeway than everything else.

Shinsuke AND Asuka losing both their Mania matches is still :ssj: level infuriating to think back on.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still excited for the Rumble, even if mostly because of the fun of the GDT :shobon:

Yeah, watching it with RR Crew is always good for some laughs at least :unsmith:

...speaking of which are we doing a RR toxx thread this year?