Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I'm am almost positive the big Yakuza is voiced by the same guy who does adult Gohan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

Another person who's already beaten the game here, so I won't comment on events/speculation/etc., but I am surprised to hear how often the steam version is crashing. The switch version could get slow at times when loading the picture-in-picture images, but only mildly so, and it only froze on me once (failed to load the next part of a late-game somnium, leaving me on a blank screen; restarting the game allowed me to finish the somnium without issue). Sounds like the steam version is significantly buggier.

That being said, I consider the game a lot like VLR - it's super good, so a little glitchiness here and there is totally worth it to experience the story.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
Whew, caught up again. Assorted thoughts:

Mizuki is great, and I appreciate that the files list her skills as "martial arts" and "emotionally attacking Date".

Clicks on item labeled "Flier": "A flyer." Really?

So now we've got a character with hemispatial neglect. That's another missing eye, but inverted: Date and Shoko are missing their left eyes, Rohan was effectively missing his right eye. Hm.

A lot of things seem to have happened about six years ago. Date lost his memory, Hitomi was attacked and lost the use of her right arm, Rohan shot "some guy" and was put on trial for premeditated murder, and Moma thus became the new head of the Kumakuras. There's no way to figure out how this is all related, though, not with the bits and pieces of information we've got so far.

Something very strange is going on when Date first talks about Rohan. He says "That... can't be right. The chairman of the Kumakuras is Rohan.". This is immediately followed by the "flashback" effect, the same one used when Date remembered playing with Iris when she was a kid, but no flashback happens. He then says "You aren't the chairman." and for that line, and only that line, Date's left eye is closed. Through the entire game so far, Date's left eye has only been closed when Aiba is physically separated from him; this is the first (and so far only) exception. What does that signify? Did Aiba do something in that moment to prevent Date from remembering something? Is that why she's so quick to inform him of Rohan's death and Moma's succession, something that both of them really should have known before they even entered the building?

(Edit: Just realized that I forgot one more thing that happened six years ago: the crime that Boss thinks Shoko's murder could be a copy of. Also, I'm guessing 91 crashes by the end of the LP.)

Tau Wedel fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 11, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yo nobody told me Date could actually kick rear end what the hell?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

SSNeoman posted:

Yo nobody told me Date could actually kick rear end what the hell?

Date's got hidden depths. In more ways than one.

Tau Wedel posted:

Something very strange is going on when Date first talks about Rohan. He says "That... can't be right. The chairman of the Kumakuras is Rohan.". This is immediately followed by the "flashback" effect, the same one used when Date remembered playing with Iris when she was a kid, but no flashback happens. He then says "You aren't the chairman." and for that line, and only that line, Date's left eye is closed. Through the entire game so far, Date's left eye has only been closed when Aiba is physically separated from him; this is the first (and so far only) exception. What does that signify? Did Aiba do something in that moment to prevent Date from remembering something? Is that why she's so quick to inform him of Rohan's death and Moma's succession, something that both of them really should have known before they even entered the building?

You know, I'd absolutely be lying if I said that I picked up on that in either of my playthroughs. That's what's great about LPing games like this and Root Double, which center the plot around deep-reaching mysteries that only slowly become unraveled, but leave minor hints around early on that you probably won't pick up on unless you replay the game and really pay attention.

Not that this means that you're on the right track in noticing this as something off. I could just be loving with you. I enjoy loving with people. Like when I deliberately withheld the correct option from the thread vote in Root Double just so I could have both choices run into a non-golden ending and leave at least somebody confused. Like I said in that thread - I'm a prick, is what I'm getting at.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Turns out my probe is over so I'm here to say that I played this over a week and really loved it. Looking forward to see how the thread takes it. Also I went left side first in my playthrough, so this should be interesting.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 13, 2020

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video time!

This time, we check up on Renju, get some legendary voice acting, learn more about Date's preferences in women and get a major breakthrough in our case! Stuff's happening!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So hang on, does Mizuki's vision mean she actually saw the dead body or not? I thought it was metaphorical the same way the birdcage and lightning was metaphorical.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

SSNeoman posted:

So hang on, does Mizuki's vision mean she actually saw the dead body or not? I thought it was metaphorical the same way the birdcage and lightning was metaphorical.

I mean, dream imagery doesn't come out of absolute nowhere. It's possible her memory is exaggerating something she saw, but at the very least she saw something that ended up stored in her subconscious as "Iris' very murdered body", assuming anyway that there isn't anything crazy going on in Somnia that we don't know about.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Polsy posted:

I like to think it was something slightly more obscure in Japanese but I can't find a single Japanese let's play where they actually look at the files (or at least, not without going past where this LP is up to). It's hard enough finding one where anyone looks around the room instead of beelining the plot.

It turns out it's aidachinashi which google translate assures me means 'no friends' (I guess 相達無し), though I haven't heard the exact phrase before.

Trivia: the furniture quiz in the cafe here is slightly less nonsensical in Japanese, though with the amount of puns in the scenery I don't really blame anyone for running out of good ideas

Mermaid - What kind of chair (isu) can you drink?
Ota - Ice! (aisu)
Date - Rice? (raisu)
Mermaid - It's synthetic vinegar (gouseisu)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I've been to a maid cafe once before. I got dragged in there by some Aussie tourists I met on my last day during my study abroad in Japan. It was exactly as awkward as the game made it look. Creepy old guys and nerds drooling over 16 year olds. Cutesy speech. Food shaped like hearts and bears. Way too overpriced. Mirrored floors...

Never again, once was enough ::nms:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Slaan posted:

Mirrored floors...

Sorry what? How does this not break harassment laws?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

:japan:

To be fair, those were mostly at the front to entice customers to come in but not really around the working floor

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I do like the tack this game is taking with the maid cafe, that being that the maids' motto might as well be "we're here to act cute and take every last bit of money the customer has in his pocket by exploiting his desire to be loved". There's an honesty in there I appreciate.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video... stuff. Felicitations? Yayifications? Whatever.

This So guy seems pretty drat suspicious, so we pay him a visit. Things... escalate from there.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Ah, adventure games:

* at the house of an impatient guy who is implicated in a murder somehow, there's two body guards *

Time to look at rocks!

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'd been wondering why Date was so focused on Iris' corpse in Mizuki's Somnium being a premonition. When I saw it, my immediate thought was that Mizuki had witnessed Iris being abused or attacked sometime in the past, and the corpse was metaphorical like so many other things in Somnium. But okay, apparently it was a premonition. I guess Mizuki is psychic now? I have no idea where this particular thread is going.

Neat effect when Aiba is powered down: the pupil in Date's left eye is grey rather than bright yellow. (And this is "metagaming", I suppose, but I'm wondering why Aiba runs out of battery at this point. It seems oddly conspicuous for the game to declare that Aiba is powered down for this one scene, especially because it doesn't seem like her presence would have changed anything.)

Iris is missing her right eye, not her left, so that's a difference from Shoko's murder. Might be important, might not be.

Renju is looking really suspicious at this point. He sent Mizuki a message asking her to go to Bloom Park, he disappeared from the hospital after being involved in an accident, and as Iris' manager he could very well be the person who showed up in the middle of the night and got her to leave the house. We still haven't seen anything resembling a motive for Renju to commit murder, though. And there's still the question of how So Sejima fits into all this, but hopefully we'll get some answers to that from his Somnium.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Hypothesis: are we actually sure that Iris is dead? The fact that Aiba was powered off means that there's no video evidence of the body. All we've got is Date's perception, which could easily be faulty (especially since he saw the "premonition" beforehand.) There's an autopsy report, but it's unclear whether the coroner actually did a real autopsy or if it's just based on what Date saw. We haven't gotten confirmation that anyone else has actually gone and collected the body yet. And So could be guessing that the body was stabbed because that's how Shoko was killed.

My bet is this is some memory from his past that he injected into Mizuki's dream and then hallucinated in the warehouse.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tau Wedel posted:

I'd been wondering why Date was so focused on Iris' corpse in Mizuki's Somnium being a premonition. When I saw it, my immediate thought was that Mizuki had witnessed Iris being abused or attacked sometime in the past, and the corpse was metaphorical like so many other things in Somnium. But okay, apparently it was a premonition. I guess Mizuki is psychic now? I have no idea where this particular thread is going.

That's what I thought too.

Also this feels really contrived.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

What gets me is that the right to remain silent still exists in this but it's fair game to invade a person's mind.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

Karia posted:

Hypothesis: are we actually sure that Iris is dead? The fact that Aiba was powered off means that there's no video evidence of the body. All we've got is Date's perception, which could easily be faulty (especially since he saw the "premonition" beforehand.) There's an autopsy report, but it's unclear whether the coroner actually did a real autopsy or if it's just based on what Date saw. We haven't gotten confirmation that anyone else has actually gone and collected the body yet. And So could be guessing that the body was stabbed because that's how Shoko was killed.

My bet is this is some memory from his past that he injected into Mizuki's dream and then hallucinated in the warehouse.

Oh, that's a good point. I hadn't considered that Date might affect what he sees in someone else's Somnium. Alternatively to there being no body, it could also be that there was a body in the warehouse, but it isn't Iris. Date hallucinates that Iris is dead, as you suggested, and then someone else from the police collects the body and does an autopsy, and no one sees any reason to question Date's identification of the victim.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Alright, this looks like the last moment to make a crash counter prediction so I'm gonna guess 48.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, today should've been an update day. But, like a loving idiot, I only now realized the footage I recorded on the weekend and would write subs for today has no audio. So yeah, I'll have to re-record the footage on the weekend and see that I can not gently caress up this time around. So the new video will be delayed until next weekend at the least, possibly next Monday or Tuesday.

Fun fact: The footage had absolutely no crashes in So's Somnium. Surely, I will now get a billion crashes on the re-do.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video time!

It's time to head into So's Somnium and try to find a new lead.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

They couldn't have gotten rid of the extra "slicing meat" sounds when Iris encountered a new block? Having to hear that 3-4 times in a row while they talked about the new block was bad :(

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

k why did we do all that? what was the point? We didn't learn anything and it didn't bring us closer to the villain.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

k why did we do all that? what was the point? We didn't learn anything and it didn't bring us closer to the villain.

Its an Uchikoshi game. Most of the things that happen are going to have no actual bearing to the plot and many things that do won't be apparent until the last 2 hours of the game.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

Well, that was remarkably uninformative. But hey, there's Date's missing left eye again: at Warehouse Door G, after Aiba hears the sound of repeated stabbing (6:05 in the video), and again at Warehouse Door E, after Aiba hears a frightened woman (13:20). I suspect that it indicates that Date is remembering something from before six years ago, though I couldn't say why it's only those two doors that cause him to react like this.

And then there's the shadowy figure that attacks Iris. Date and Aiba agree at the start that it's probably So, but of course it doesn't look like him, or like anyone at all, really. And at the end Date says "That shadow must be..." but doesn't complete the sentence, so who knows what he's thinking at that point. I'm sure this will all make sense in retrospect.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

The idea of the Somnium is to look into the person's subconscious and figure out what they might be hiding. What we found in So's subconscious was a scene of somebody that might be So himself stabbing Iris multiple times in front of the cold storage warehouse, which matches up exactly with the corpse we found. What this tells us is that, say, So wasn't just involved in some shady drug deals in the warehouse or that kind of stuff and might be trying to hide that from us, or is just being the average politician with a billion skeletons in his closet.

It's essentially confirming to us that suspecting So and investigating him is the right direction.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, might as well post this before I start working on the next video.

Less than three minutes of files. Yay! But yeah, I'm working on the next video and will post it when as soon as it's done. I'm not just going to let you sit on this for a week.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

And here's an actual update.

Now that we've gotten some information out of So's Somnium, even if we're not really 100% on anything, we now get to figure out our next steps.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Aaaaaand, now I'm getting seriously worried about our protagonist's mental stability.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Date, are you losing it, buddy? :ohdear:

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

Date: How does time travel work?
Pewter: Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff.

Anyway, I think Karia is right that Iris was never killed. It is an Uchikoshi game, so dreams affecting reality is not completely impossible, but I'm more inclined to believe that Date's perception is faulty.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
…that's not what she said

klafbang fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 10, 2020

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah that's a voice line fuckup, I noticed that too.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, there's a few of those scattered around the game. I guess somebody was asleep at the proof listening wheel.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

It's time to kick off another investigation phase, and this time we'll be checking out the warehouse again, drop in on So again, and have an extended chat with Hitomi.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

Huh. Date asks Aiba whether #89 has any connection to "the Cyclops Serial Killings", and I'm pretty sure we haven't heard that term before. Presumably that's the crime that Boss thought Shoko's murder could be a copy of; the name would fit with a series of murders in which the victims had one eye removed. She very specifically didn't want to tell Date about it, though, so it's odd that he brings it up now. Maybe it would've come up earlier if we'd gone down another path? Feels like an oversight.

The backstory for Iris' drawing seems helpful in pulling some loose threads together. Hitomi had a boyfriend six years ago who was hiding from the Yakuza (or some other criminal organization), and the break-in was an attempt to kill him. Since Date briefly remembered playing with Iris when she was younger, he is probably the boyfriend. That could also explain why he was so sure that Rohan was the chairman of the Kumakuras: last time Date had any dealings with them, Rohan was the chairman. (We also just saw the flashback effect in reaction to the code name "Falco", so the name is presumably familiar to Date.) The attacker could be #89/Falco, who was an assassin-for-hire for the underworld. Though Moma did say that Rohan "ended up shooting some guy in his house", so perhaps he was the attacker. Of course, all of this still doesn't explain why Hitomi doesn't recognize Date, or pretends not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Tau Wedel posted:

Huh. Date asks Aiba whether #89 has any connection to "the Cyclops Serial Killings", and I'm pretty sure we haven't heard that term before. Presumably that's the crime that Boss thought Shoko's murder could be a copy of; the name would fit with a series of murders in which the victims had one eye removed. She very specifically didn't want to tell Date about it, though, so it's odd that he brings it up now. Maybe it would've come up earlier if we'd gone down another path? Feels like an oversight.

Just to clear the air a bit to not encourage wild speculation that's going entirely in the wrong direction: Basically, people generally know about the Cyclops Serial Killings, and we know (or, well, technically don't know yet, but this isn't information that is being kept secret from us, it just hasn't been brought up yet and would've indeed already come up on the other branch) that they are "the case from six years ago". And of course the reason they're the Cyclops Serial Killings is because the victims had one eye removed, just like with Shoko, yeah. Doesn't take a Sherlock to make that connection - a Date is enough.

What we don't know is any real pertinent information beyond that. Including information like "who did it", "do we even know who did it" and "if we do know, are they in prison, dead, still at large, what". That's all the stuff Boss was saying was super mega classified.