Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Documents Interdits, by Jean Teddy Phillippe

Hell yeah, thanks! Never would have found that on my own. I think you were probably the one who posted it in the first place lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

DC Murderverse posted:

i had a really really wonderful night and I'm celebrating by helping your cousin. this is truly something no one should ever have to deal with and i hope they find peace.

Thank you, it is very much appreciated.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Voodoofly posted:

Strange Days is great but everyone should watch HER SMELL!!!!!!!

It’s probably my favorite movie over the last few years

:hai:

Elizabeth Moss is so so good. A lot of it is anxiety-inducing in the same way that Uncut Gems is, like you’re just waiting for her messy trainwreck of a life to completely fall apart. Similar claustrophobic sound design too.

Also the scene where she’s playing piano for her daughter is probably my favorite from any film I saw last year. Having her actually sing/play all the music adds another a layer of authenticity to everything too.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

This might sound made up but last night, I had promised some friends we would get really high I would see Cats for a second time with them and with the movie down to single showtimes at the few theaters it’s still in I was honor bound to go. Caught a 9:45 p.m. screening and was honestly shocked to find out that the show sold out. It was a smaller theater but it was absolutely packed with college kids and twenty-somethings.

Holy poo poo what an experience. First time I saw this was in the same theater on Christmas Day with nearly nobody else and this time everyone was in hysterics. Screams of horror, the occasional joke (someone singing that Rum Tum Tugger is the horniest cat). Top audience moments include: Skimbleshanks finishing his song and spinning into the air, Ian McKellan getting disappeared where you faintly hear Idria Elba say “Macavity!”, the cockroach chorus line getting eaten followed shortly by Rebel Wilson zipping off her skin, everything with Judi Dench. People were singing along to Mister Mistofelees.

Honestly one of the most surprising theatrical experiences I’ve ever had. Universal needs to shift the marketing campaign stat, move this to a schedule of late and midnight weekend shows, it really is cult classic material.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Voodoofly posted:

Strange Days is great but everyone should watch HER SMELL!!!!!!!

It’s probably my favorite movie over the last few years

I've been looking for it all over, but I just found out it's on Kanopy and I'm definitely planning on checking it out.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Danny Devito’s Hoffa is loving great, Devito knows how the gently caress you move a camera, and why. Lots of fancy shots that add to the movie’s narrative and gracefully edit between scenes. Nicholson and Devito give great performances, and though he’s not in it a lot, it’s fun watching John C. Reilly in a completely serious role. Hoffa as a union man who’s willing to not just argue for the working man but physically fight for them makes an interesting companion piece to The Irishman, which is way more about Hoffa’s mob side. It’s what the Last Temptation of Christ was to the New Testament.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

it’s fun watching John C. Reilly in a completely serious role

And all too uncommon. Dude is really funny, too, but I would've loved to see him in more Magnolia type roles and fewer Step Brothers type roles despite both being great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/naivemelody83/status/1215379224820944902?s=20

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Michael Shannon a Daniel Bryan From 2012-fan.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Lol, this is almost definitely a Bon Avakian pin.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Extremely random question but does anyone know why The Fall is so weirdly hard to get a hold of? It appears to be streaming exclusively through iTunes and the only US blu-ray release is like $90. Even the DVD is $70 new on Amazon, which seems completely insane. It's a 2006 movie produced by David Fincher so it doesn't seem like it should be that obscure - was there some crazy conflict over distribution rights or something?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

F

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

It never occurred to me how strange it is for a bar to have a giant memorial/vigil to a patron who died 10 years earlier

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Today's YTOTD is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwDfBLmhb7E

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Tag yourself. I’m the hosed up cabin.

Also wow hi new thread

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I call Laser eye nun sword dog

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Holy poo poo this guy's voice, and also face.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm the beagle with a snake for a tail.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Holy poo poo this guy's voice, and also face.

I AM THE MONSTER MASTER.............Arthur.

This is probably a really interesting video with lots of fun bits of film history but I find it impossible to take this guy seriously.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 12, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I'm the beagle with a snake for a tail.
That's obviously a Sandworm.

I hate 'em, myself.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This thing is such a delight and the Monster Master makes it all work.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A few days ago I got to hang out with one of my favorite comedians (who is an associate and probably friend of Louis CK) in a cigar bar. So it was fun for a bit and then some how the topic of Louis CK came up which is a subject my brother and I have argued about one too many times so I just said I didn't want to have the conversation again. I was then treated to 20-30 minutes (I'm not entirely sure how long because I think I entered a time dilation) of explanation about how CK's side of the story was never told and how the public narrative doesn't reflect the series of events given by his primary accuser. Basically he outright asked me what I thought about CK and I declined to answer, so then he told me "I don't care you can just say it.". It was a trap. If I had to make a list of single most awkward moments of my life this would easily take the number one spot.

Never meet your idols, kids.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
All comedians need to be encased in an ice crystal and suspended in the desolation zone.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

God can you imagine getting famous? Having to hang out with people like that as you continue to make excuses and slide further and further into being a piece of poo poo? Like till 2 years ago to be a big actor you probably at the very least had to be cordial and polite to Harvey Weinstein or you'd get blacklisted. Your soul has to just leak out of your body.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CPL593H posted:

A few days ago I got to hang out with one of my favorite comedians (who is an associate and probably friend of Louis CK) in a cigar bar. So it was fun for a bit and then some how the topic of Louis CK came up which is a subject my brother and I have argued about one too many times so I just said I didn't want to have the conversation again. I was then treated to 20-30 minutes (I'm not entirely sure how long because I think I entered a time dilation) of explanation about how CK's side of the story was never told and how the public narrative doesn't reflect the series of events given by his primary accuser. Basically he outright asked me what I thought about CK and I declined to answer, so then he told me "I don't care you can just say it.". It was a trap. If I had to make a list of single most awkward moments of my life this would easily take the number one spot.

Never meet your idols, kids.

Who was the comedian?

Also what the gently caress could CK possibly have to say that would ameliorate jerking off in front of an unwilling bystander?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I can't imagine how many hours of research and editing went into this video.

Great respect to MONSTER MASTER arthur.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Monster Master Arthur rules but my heart definitely skipped a bit when I finally looked at the video length

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is loving embarrassing.

https://twitter.com/NetflixFilm/status/1215692954343333888?s=19

Just admit you have no Kurosawa and recommend one that can be seen for free on YouTube without directly mentioning it can be seen for free on YouTube.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

This is loving embarrassing.

https://twitter.com/NetflixFilm/status/1215692954343333888?s=19

Just admit you have no Kurosawa and recommend one that can be seen for free on YouTube without directly mentioning it can be seen for free on YouTube.

Though, The Criterion Channel has 25 of Kurosawa's 30 feature films.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Though, The Criterion Channel has 25 of Kurosawa's 30 feature films.

I think doing something like mentioning that exactly once would get your account to go viral and then pay bots to ask for recommendations that can easily be answered by poo poo on your own service.

Like I can equally see the Kurosawa post coming from someone who knows there's none on Netflix or someone who binges Netflix all the time, loves ninjas and poo poo but has never watched a foreign language film.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

McCloud posted:

Who was the comedian?

Also what the gently caress could CK possibly have to say that would ameliorate jerking off in front of an unwilling bystander?

It was Robert Kelly, who played his brother on the FX series and was in that movie CK made that never got released. In short he told me what "really happened" with the whistleblower was a different story than what everyone has been talking about because most people didn't read the New York Times article (which I will link below) where this was first announced in public and instead it became a sort of fourth hand gossip based on distortions. So according to him CK was at some comedy festival with these two women and the whole weekend they were kind of crack jokes at his expense. They asked if he has red pubes and this became a running joke. And then they kept joking about how he should whip it out and show them. So this became the thing they kept saying over and over. It got to a point where he finally was like "Okay fine, do you really want to see this?" and they said yes so he got naked or whatever and then they pointed and laughed at him and left the room. And then he felt ashamed and humiliated. I really wanted the subject to change so I just didn't engage with this and gave "Oh" "Uh-uh" type responses in the hopes that he'd finally be like "Well okay that's something to think about.". But he just kept harping on it. A few times I just said that I didn't want to talk poo poo about his friend and I'd rather move on but then he'd say that he didn't care. Except he clearly did care because he wouldn't let it go. I think what got the ball rolling is when he finally managed to wheedle it out of me what I said was that CK's act is basically a confession. I did ask why if this was all lies and distortion that Louis CK straight up said "These stories are true." when he publicly addressed this and was told that he did it to just take this on himself so none of his accusers would get hurt and it would just kind of go away for them. There was a bunch of bullshit but the gist of it was that this whole thing snowballed into something way bigger than it was because people didn't read that NYT article and just ran away with incorrect assumptions about its contents. According to him her account of things in said article is essentially the same as Louis CK's version (spoiler alert: it's not). I looked it up when I got home and it turns out that I actually had read this article when it dropped and I'm guessing that most people who turned against CK also did as it was the first time all this poo poo was put into a public statement in a coherent and essentially official sense. The whole time I just wanted to float out of my body. My brother tried to distract him with other poo poo but he didn't take the bait. Before that we were having a pretty good time. The opener was with us too and I was having a pretty good chat with him because he's a film nerd and loves horror movies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/arts/television/louis-ck-sexual-misconduct.html

None of the content of this article lines up with what he said it does and in fact everything it states is the opposite of what he was trying to convince me of.

edit: He did admit more than once that Louis CK hosed up and knew it (because he was married at the time) but not in the way the public thinks.

edit 2: I found this clip of him defending CK on some radio show and most of what he says here is what he said to me. He softened it up a bit because I'm not a talk radio edgelord but it was all the same stuff and a few things he said here were almost verbatim so I'm assuming he's had this conversation a lot. He very obviously has a huge chip on his shoulder about the whole thing. The weird thing is that he wasn't angry or pissed off at me and genuinely enjoyed my company even after that discussion. And I didn't even feel attacked it was more cringey and just exhausting than anything. It was more like being at a party and someone shits their pants in the middle of the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSeJSEnd_64

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 12, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That loving sucks. I'm sorry.

People will twist themselves into knots against reality trying to justify their worldview. It's a huge bummer that those kinds of preconceived notions about a friend can force otherwise good people to do insane mental gymnastics, but it happens so ludicrously often. I guess people just don't want their entire world to turn upside-down so badly that they'll create their own reality with endless justifications.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

That loving sucks. I'm sorry.

People will twist themselves into knots against reality trying to justify their worldview. It's a huge bummer that those kinds of preconceived notions about a friend can force otherwise good people to do insane mental gymnastics, but it happens so ludicrously often. I guess people just don't want their entire world to turn upside-down so badly that they'll create their own reality with endless justifications.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is just that I've argued about this with my brother way too many times because he gave Louis CK a pass until he started pandering to the alt-right and a lot of the stuff Robert Kelly said is the same poo poo I've already had to listen to a whole bunch of times. This is why I was so reluctant to engage. I'm just so sick of talking about Louis CK.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I have never seen Ghost Dog. I want to see this Ghost Dog

Budgie Jumping posted:

Tag yourself. I’m the hosed up cabin.

Also wow hi new thread
now that you made me look at the back I'm wondering, are those telephone polls, trees, a big fence?

edit: im the snake tail slash buttplug

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 12, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

I have never seen Ghost Dog. I want to see this Ghost Dog

now that you made me look at the back I'm wondering, are those telephone polls, trees, a big fence?

edit: im the snake tail slash buttplug

It's a great movie, you should see it. It is most definitely not the movie in the poster. Aside from having a pretty good representation of Forest Whitaker in the bottom right.

I'm Forest Whitaker with a samurai sword.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ghost Dog whips very hard.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there a way to find out when a movie will be available to rent digitally? Joker has been available for sale digitally since last month but I do not see any places to actually rent it digitally. I have tried some movie sites but they just give the date that the film is available to buy.

Usually the way it works is the film is released digitally to buy a few weeks prior to a physical release, then once the film is release on DVD/BR, it will become available to rent digitally. I just checked Amazon, and you can now rent JOKER.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And it has an RPG rendition. Like all Jim Jarmusch films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Darthemed posted:

And it has an RPG rendition. Like all Jim Jarmusch films.

I feel like you could easily work Dead Man into an RPG setting