Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Her, Obama, and AOC collectively have caused more brain damage in the last 15 years than lead paint ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I've always wondered if we, as the US, have always been this stupid. Is technology causing stupid or merely exposing it?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Booger Presley posted:

I've always wondered if we, as the US, have always been this stupid. Is technology causing stupid or merely exposing it?

Technology lets you do everything bigger and faster, including gently caress up.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Booger Presley posted:

We have been waaaaaaay dumber historically. I don’t know about relatively, but we’re absolutely smarter than the Americans of 200 years ago.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's probably facilitating it more than anything.

1986:
Person: "loving stupid idea"
Their close friends and family: "that's loving stupid"

2017:
The incredibly small but insanely vocal group of people on the internet who agree with them: "yes that's right and you're good and cool for thinking that"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Jamestown colony was starving because everybody was growing tobacco and nobody was growing food.

We've always been stupid.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Memento posted:

It's probably facilitating it more than anything.

1986:
Their close friends and family: "that's loving stupid"

2017:
The incredibly small but insanely vocal group of people on the internet who agree with them: "yes that's right and you're good and cool for thinking that"

2019:

Welcome back polio!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

But you know, with a swastika and essential oils.

My dumbass is trying to get leadership to just let him do the rest of his drills for this year now, and then come back and do his ones for next year in October after the FY turns over. I'm more than ok with whatever it takes to get rid of him. I'm just afraid the commander is going to tell him no in some poorly thought last minute attempt to make him into a team player. Today he loudly, he has no inside voice, expounded about how he got mad that his car's OnStar kept emailing him about low washer fluid when it was sloshing around on a race track. So he called them up and screamed at them to turn it off. Then he pulled down the headliner and ripped out the GPS/OnStar antenna.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Technology is allowing us to be stupid faster.

It's also letting stupid people find large groups of other stupid people easily.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Technology is allowing us to be stupid faster.

It's also letting stupid people find large groups of other stupid people easily.

Chernobyl.gif.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Casimir Radon posted:

But you know, with a swastika and essential oils.

My dumbass is trying to get leadership to just let him do the rest of his drills for this year now, and then come back and do his ones for next year in October after the FY turns over. I'm more than ok with whatever it takes to get rid of him. I'm just afraid the commander is going to tell him no in some poorly thought last minute attempt to make him into a team player. Today he loudly, he has no inside voice, expounded about how he got mad that his car's OnStar kept emailing him about low washer fluid when it was sloshing around on a race track. So he called them up and screamed at them to turn it off. Then he pulled down the headliner and ripped out the GPS/OnStar antenna.

Have you considered getting him playdough for christmas

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Milo and POTUS posted:

Have you considered getting him c4 for christmas

He's just going to eat it anyway

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
At the request of the GIP Discord, I present to you the story of the Civil War reenactor who was bitten by a shark at Gettysburg.

quote:

I think this happened at 135th Gettysburg in 1998. This was a big event that took place during the heyday of reenacting, when they could field almost as many reenactors as there were soldiers on the field.

The story takes place on the night of the second day of the reenactment. The Union lines held firm after repulsing a Confederate attack on the flanks. It was a particularly hot and dry July that year, so he and his fellows decided the best way to end the night is with beer and wings someplace air conditioned.

Many beers were consumed, much air condition absorbed, and so most of the reenactors called it a night and returned to their tents. But not our hero. He and a friend, who had also been recently divorced, felt it necessary to explore the popular drinking establishments of fine historic Gettysburg. At one such establishment they encountered some college students and decided to drink with them.

Shots may have been involved.

So at last call, our hero decides to order a final round of shots to cap off the night before he and his compatriot returned to camp. Bracing his hand on an object above the bar, he stood there waiting for his order. Once delivered, he attempted to disentangle his hand from the object above the bar, only to find his hand was caught. Refusing to be deterred by such an entanglement, he yanked his hand down, freeing it, and returned to his new friends and their final shots.

It was about this point he discovered his hand was dripping.

As it happens, the object above the bar was a shark's jaw.

"Hey, you're bleeding," said one of the college students.

"Ayyyyymm finessssssnobideal" replied our hero, wrapping his hand in his handkerchief.

Finishing their shots, our hero and his comrade decided to return to camp.

Only to discover they had no loving idea where they were.

After stumbling around for awhile, they eventually lost consciousness in a field and awoke to find the sun's harsh glare staring down at them, in silent judgement. Now that they could see where they were and where they were going, they returned to the camp. Our hero found his way to his tent, crawled inside, lie down, and closed his eyes.

"FIRST CALL!" Time for Pickett's Charge!

Swearing profusely, he crawled out of his tent, put on his gear and noticed that his hand kinda hurt. Oh, and his handkerchief was tied around it. And it was soaked in blood. Still, not wanting to miss the day's events, he staggered into formation, marched with the regiment to their position, and resumed his nap. I don't remember whether or not he participated in the fight, but I think he did.

Afterwards he found his way to one of the medical tents the event established in the event of things like "heat stroke" and "sprained ankles"

"Hey," he said, "I, uh, snagged my hand on my bayonet." They looked at his hand and decided that he needed to see a doctor.

The doctor looked at his hand and asked what happened.

"I think I snagged it on my bayonet or something, I dunno" said our hero.

The doctor was having none of it.

"I interned in Florida. I know a shark bite when I see one. What the gently caress happened to your hand?"

So our hero reluctantly told the doctor about the jaws above the bar. His hand was cleaned and treated and our hero left in search of some aspirin and water.

This is not the end of the story.

A week or so later, the local paper ran a story about the big reenactment. There was a sidebar item next to the article, talking about the hard work of medical volunteers which had a tallied list of injuries and wounds sustained that weekend:

Heat exhaustion: 128
Sprained ankles: 47
Broken foot: 3
Shark bite: 1

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That needs to be added to the OP.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
loving excellent.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Was our shark bitten Gettysburg survivor a confederate or was he Union?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Was our shark bitten Gettysburg survivor a confederate or was he Union?

Union.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Seconding

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thirding

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

canyoneer posted:

Does anyone have that comic about the dude who was operating a minesweeper for a patrol in an area heavy with IEDs

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/always-be-prepared-dd5267ee112a

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Since we're on some Civil War stuff, let's have a group of idiots from that timeframe.

The 2nd battle of Fort Fisher was the largest amphibious assault prior to the D-Day invasion of Normandy, and ended with a Confederate loss. The day after fighting stopped is what we're looking at, though.

quote:

On January 16, Union celebrations were dampened when the fort's magazine exploded, killing and wounding 200 Union soldiers and Confederate prisoners who were sleeping on the roof of the magazine chamber or nearby. U.S. Navy Ensign Alfred Stow Leighton died in the explosion while in charge of a squad trying to recover bodies from the fort parapet. Although several Union soldiers initially thought Confederate prisoners were responsible, an investigation opened by Terry concluded that unknown Union soldiers (possibly drunken marines) had entered the magazine with torches and ignited the powder

Abu Hajar exists in every army at all times, no exceptions.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Definitely

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
This is only vaguely military adjacent because the dude is merchant marine but anyway.

There’s this ship engineer I know who’s a bit... unlucky. Engines catch fire around him, power circuits fry themselves, just loving bad luck.

Anyway he’s way into disasters documentaries and stuff because it’s basically his day to day life. So he’s really into the TV show Chernobyl, and for some ungodly reason some guy decided to send him a dosimeter in a secret Santa exchange.

Dude starts messing around with his dosimeter, and realizes it may be out of calibration. Since he lives in New Zealand, a place where they’re not too too down with the atom, there aren’t exactly Geiger counter calibration shops on every blocks so he just calls the national nuclear institute or whatever.

“Hey so I got this Geiger counters and the readings I’m getting are way too high”
“Hold please, I’ll transfer you.”
“National nuclear institute, how can we assist?”
“Yeah my Geiger counter Kees giving me readings that seem high so I was wondering...”
“Alright sir stay calm. Where did you get those readings, and what were they?”
“Well at work...”
“And where do you work?”
“But I mean the meter hasn’t been calibrated in thirty years.”
“Oh thank loving God.”

Turns out the dude had been patched through to the national atomic emergency center or whatever.

And that’s how GIP Secret Santa 2019 caused New Zealand’s first IAEA incident.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

McNally posted:

At the request of the GIP Discord, I present to you the story of the Civil War reenactor who was bitten by a shark at Gettysburg.

Hmm there's a pretty good chance my dad was doing paramedic stuff at that reenactment, I think he was still running one of the ambulance companies in gettysburg around that time and helped at a lot of those. I know he was on site for a lot of the filming of Gettysburg. I'll have to ask him if he remembers shark bite shenanigans.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't know where I read this, but during the 1800s some Naval Academy cadets stole a railway handcart from a siding and went on a joy ride.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FrozenVent posted:

This is only vaguely military adjacent because the dude is merchant marine but anyway.

:golfclap:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
TF's nuke scare needs to be in the op as well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A gift from PYF:

https://twitter.com/UncleChaps/status/1217259888272990213

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

I love how the phrase "Alright sir stay calm" is anything but calming.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I see that cadet is a big fan of this season of 90 Day Fiance

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I mean, it is west point, what do you expect aside from being capitalist consumer whores?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There was no subordinate for them to get killed needlessly, and no OER bullet on the line. Not even sure why he tried, tbh

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Not even sure why he tried, tbh

Padding his resume for a future presidential bid.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FrozenVent posted:

There’s this ship engineer I know who’s a bit... unlucky. Engines catch fire around him, power circuits fry themselves, just loving bad luck.

Anyway he’s way into disasters documentaries and stuff because it’s basically his day to day life. So he’s really into the TV show Chernobyl, and for some ungodly reason some guy decided to send him a dosimeter in a secret Santa exchange.

Dude starts messing around with his dosimeter, and realizes it may be out of calibration. Since he lives in New Zealand, a place where they’re not too too down with the atom, there aren’t exactly Geiger counter calibration shops on every blocks so he just calls the national nuclear institute or whatever.

“Hey so I got this Geiger counters and the readings I’m getting are way too high”
“Yeah my Geiger counter Kees giving me readings that seem high so I was wondering...”
“Well at work...”
“And where do you work?”
“Oh thank loving God.”

Turns out the dude had been patched through to the national atomic emergency center or whatever.

Epic.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

“Well at work...”
“And where do you work?”
“Oh thank loving God.”

This is libel and slander and I'm suing your rear end

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The guy never said stay calm

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ahhh, engineers. Not the best at communicating but they get there in the end. :D

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The guy never said stay calm

You should have recorded it.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

But did you nuclear scare on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov