Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Seriously, where the gently caress are they going? There is no reason for these characters to constantly be walking and climbing everywhere. Just make your pithy observations that both sides are equally bad (but the democrats are worse) while sitting at a table or something, for gently caress's sake.

I realize this is a minor thing, but Prickly City is starting to bug me more than Branco or Garrison. It is just consistently, offensively boring and lazy while pretending to be ~deep~. I'm almost looking forward to the pivot towards "well I understand not WANTING to vote for Trump, but we must do it, to save the nation," because then it will at least be saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's a steal compared to what we were planning to spend on waging war in Iran, and doesn't result in millions of lives lost or ruined. AGC.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Seriously, where the gently caress are they going? There is no reason for these characters to constantly be walking and climbing everywhere. Just make your pithy observations that both sides are equally bad (but the democrats are worse) while sitting at a table or something, for gently caress's sake.

I realize this is a minor thing, but Prickly City is starting to bug me more than Branco or Garrison. It is just consistently, offensively boring and lazy while pretending to be ~deep~. I'm almost looking forward to the pivot towards "well I understand not WANTING to vote for Trump, but we must do it, to save the nation," because then it will at least be saying something.

I wasn't joking about suggesting maybe we skip that one until he fuckin SAYS loving SOMETHING because his poo poo is literally elevating my blood pressure

Maybe I should take a break, lol

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Does he have prepared drawings of the characters sitting at a table, or a table for that matter? The same clip art walking poses against a gradient or featureless white void it is then.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Just caught up. We ended last year with an Ender's Game derail, and start this one with a Warhammer one. We must like talking about fascist sci-fi dystopias. Just no one mention Starship Troopers and we'll be fine.

I'm disappointed in you pedants for not noticing this is an impossible position. The Cartoonist Has No Idea How Tic-Tac-Toe works.

Gaybies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism)

For an instant, I thought Kirschen was addressing the difficulties Black Jews have, but I forgot that they don't exist.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm glad I'm not the only one enraged by prickly city, at least the racist trash chuds have the stones to express a loving opinion. Their opinion maybe be repulsive, but at least they can come out and say it instead of stupid handwringing nonstop.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Dracula Factory posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one enraged by prickly city, at least the racist trash chuds have the stones to express a loving opinion. Their opinion maybe be repulsive, but at least they can come out and say it instead of stupid handwringing nonstop.

It's goddamn anxiety inducing.

It makes me want to go all Godfathery, grab him by his lillywhite shoulders, shake him until his teeth clatter, and scream "YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MAN!"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqcgUDoV_M

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BrotherJayne posted:

The Orks are on the rise, and the Great Rift is actually a massive strategic weakness for the Forces of Chaos. Surrounded now on all sides by a resurgent Imperium and a very pissed off Ghazzy, I'd say that the future actually looks bright if the Girlyman continues to ascend.

Back when I stopped paying attention to 40k plot I couldn't see any possible outcome other than everyone except Tyranids and Chaos being completely wiped out. Has the grim dark future got less grimdark?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What exactly is the corn supposed to symbolize anyway?

Contracts for exploiting Iraqi oil fields and also contracts for rebuilding Iraqi infrastructure.

Note that Iraqi oilfields already had companies exploiting them. But, critically, they weren't American often enough, so part of the war was motivated by ousting these foreign companies and replacing them with American ones.

There was even a leaked memo from the UK showing that one of the reasons Tony Blair jumped in with both feet was a worry that the Americans would not oust Total from Iraq if the UK didn't join.

Are you gonna start lobbying against the pollution lobbies, Ramirez, or is this just yet another hypocritical "thoughts & prayers lol suckers"?

It's purely rhetorical, I know the answer.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Qwertycoatl posted:

Back when I stopped paying attention to 40k plot I couldn't see any possible outcome other than everyone except Tyranids and Chaos being completely wiped out. Has the grim dark future got less grimdark?

Maybe.

It definitely got a lot more fluid

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

Did he at least show some sign of embarrassment?

Total indifference as if it wasn't even his work.

An insane mind posted:

I thought the normal Eldar, as in not the Slaanesh cultist Eldar raiders, were kind of isolationist dicks but at least not fascists.

While the Eldar are isolationist in theory it's in a world where they lay ancestral claim to pretty much half the planets in the known and unknown universe.

So you can have a planet that humans have lived on and ruled for thousands of years but alas there's a.... *rolls dice* ancient eldar holy temple on it and the disrespectful human invaders need to stop desecrating what doesn't belong to them. And also die. The humans must die because they don't belong here.

Or Eldar will try to blow up an entire populated human planet because it happens to have a *rolls dice* ancient chaos portal on it and it must be sacrificed to save the whole solar system.

Or the Eldar will make a good case that humans and Eldar must work together against Chaos but then they betray the humans at the moment of truth because the ancient prophesy foretold that the Chaos mcguffing can only be destroyed if the blood of 1000 humans are spilled in the holy circle around it. Ops the prophecy was written by a Chaos god and things got worse. Now Eldar and humans must really work together and the Eldar learned their lesson this time (they didn't)

The Imperium are ultra fash but the narrative really contorts itself to justify its xenophobia.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Been seeing these on Adam Koford's Twitter. This one seemed politicalish?

I'm going to assume this is a misogyny comic.
There are a lot of Twitter women who post about how tired they are of being mansplained to, so I'm going to assume that the comic about a mouthy woman who can't be told anything because she already knows it all is rooted in some good old fashioned misogyny.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Katt posted:

The Imperium are ultra fash
Fragmented Feudal

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

the_steve posted:

I'm going to assume this is a misogyny comic.
There are a lot of Twitter women who post about how tired they are of being mansplained to, so I'm going to assume that the comic about a mouthy woman who can't be told anything because she already knows it all is rooted in some good old fashioned misogyny.

Eh, it's sort of a parody of Peanuts but I wouldn't read too much into the gender thing

https://twitter.com/apelad/status/1190167175148920832

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Times like these that I wish hell were real

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Jurgan posted:

I'm disappointed in you pedants for not noticing this is an impossible position. The Cartoonist Has No Idea How Tic-Tac-Toe works.

I'm giving it a pass because it's not trying to show Trump as a strategic mastermind, so his losing despite breaking the rules still works.

It would have read much more clearly if Trump had been X and it was O that had won, though, and wouldn't have needed Trump's speech bubble. Also Trump never concedes graciously (or at all) so that threw me off for a hot minute too. All in all, a cartoon that would have benefited from an editing pass.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jurgan posted:

I never play anything less complicated than Campaign for North Africa, can someone explain how the position is impossible, aside from the impossibility of a thinking person losing?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If x starts, they’d have already won before circle gets to play their third circle

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

If x starts, they’d have already won before circle gets to play their third circle

What if circle started?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Traditionally x starts I guess

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Huh I never knew. Back when we just picked a team and the loser started. We didn't switch between games.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Qwertycoatl posted:

Tyranid came to the galaxy in multiple waves and from different directions, implying that they have scoured other galaxies clean of life already (or at least spread to those galaxies without being repelled) and are essentially a Kardashev Type 3+ civilization; nothing native/confined to just the one galaxy has any prayer in the long run since the waves may literally never stop coming

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Evilreaver posted:

Tyranid came to the galaxy in multiple waves and from different directions, implying that they have scoured other galaxies clean of life already (or at least spread to those galaxies without being repelled) and are essentially a Kardashev Type 3+ civilization; nothing native/confined to just the one galaxy has any prayer in the long run since the waves may literally never stop coming

Except they're homing in on the beacon of Terra.

Wake Big E and fire up the web way project again, and they'll scatter

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tic-tac-toe is always a draw in the case of perfect play, but there are interesting variants where this isn't true. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tic-tac-toe#Strategy for a perfect play algorithm.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

:nws: https://imgur.com/JpA9oMt

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
BTW JRRose's JMU Dukes lost the championship game, it was on TV while we were out to eat and I'm going to personally claim credit for doing the final evil on them because I literally called them throwing an interception on the final play of the game.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Feinne posted:

BTW JRRose's JMU Dukes lost the championship game, it was on TV while we were out to eat and I'm going to personally claim credit for doing the final evil on them because I literally called them throwing an interception on the final play of the game.

And North Dakota has all the nukes too, so there's nothing JMU can do about it!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Go shove your thoughts and prayers up your loving arse Rameriz you loving rear end in a top hat. You have been shilling for the people that helped turbocharge this disaster so gently caress off.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

And North Dakota has all the nukes too, so there's nothing JMU can do about it!

Apparently NDSU stunted on them with a fake field goal into a 20 yard touchdown run too which is like super lol.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Please be aware that the D&D rules have been updated

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Was hoping the dog tax was back :(

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

its been a while since i looked at these, what are the changes from before?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

its been a while since i looked at these, what are the changes from before?

Not much, fundamentally. They're largely just expanded and clarified, cause the only rules were very vague.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I dont know posted:

Does he have prepared drawings of the characters sitting at a table, or a table for that matter? The same clip art walking poses against a gradient or featureless white void it is then.

Didn't they sit down at a table when they visited Winslow's family?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

People have pointed out before that Allie largely copy and pastes bodies and then attaches a copy-pasted head when he can. Which I will never blame him for while Stantis continues to produce writing that doesn’t even deserve clip art to go with it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We meet the primary contenders, back in...

With the 2011 burnouts back in the past, it's time to look at the actual primary. Fortunately, the GOP primary for 2012 started fairly early, so there won't be much in the way of empty posturing from the candidates. Nope, we're gonna see real results from our first races. So let's dive in.

Mitt "Mittens" Romney was the frontrunner pretty much out the gate. His primary problem, however, was his image. Sure, he had a lot of the same issues all conservatives have, but Romney wraps it all up in the very boring suit-and-tie business executive personae with the very weak charisma to match. As someone said during the election, Romney looked like the guy who laid you off to save a few bucks.

As frontrunner, this put an huge target on Romney's back from his primary rivals. I think people put too much stock in heated primaries, as most people will flat-out forget all the mudslinging come November. Just look at all the crap Obama endured in 2008, and he still won the general. Still, it inevitably comes up when primary candidates lash out at one another.

Santorum squeaked out a victory in Iowa, coming in first by a fraction of a percent over Romney. I don't think this got any play from cartoonists, but Santorum's campaign had a "Google problem" due to his name being used by, let's be exceedingly nice and say "controversial," sex advice columnist Dan Savage. As a dig on Santorum, Savage used his name as a euphemism for, well, you can look it up just like a lot of Santorum voters unknowingly did.

Then Mitt went and won New Hampshire. It is worth noting that throughout the race, Romney was throwing a lot of money around and Santorum was still staying competitive. I daresay we may have had the bizarro race of Obama v. Santorum were it not for...

:newt: Gingrich won South Carolina, which was a big deal because for decades every GOP candidate that took SC went on to win the primary...until 2012 when Newt inevitably lost. Something something it's a trend until it isn't. A running theme of the primary will be Newt's refusal to drop out, eating into Santorum's votes. But that's for another week.

There are two kinds of conservative mindsets for the election. The first are deluded people that think Obama is just as unpopular as talk radio tells them, and that he is doomed come November. The other mindset is people who understand just how hosed they were from the outset. Allie seemed to be aware of Romney's weaknesses as a candidate.

And now onto the cultural corner, where we look at what was going on in the world during this time.

B1
A string of assassinations involving Iranian nuclear scientists had been going on for a couple years, with Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan being the last victim in early 2012. The source of the assassinations was never uncovered, but it was strongly implied to be linked to Israel because...I mean c'mon. Further rumor had it as the USA being the one who put a stop to the assassinations, stating that they interfered with diplomatic efforts to get Iran to stop its nuclear program, presumably referring to the 2015 deal. But hey, maybe the USA actually stopped secret assassinations for once!

B2
Hostess declared bankruptcy in early 2012, following some poor business choices in the face of a more health-conscious shopper. Of course, this happened right after the union went on strike after some very questionably cuts to worker benefits. This was an extremely transparent move to try and pin the blame on the unions as opposed to executive incompetence. It's worth noting that, despite the company being in trouble, Hostess had no problem giving the executives pay raises in 2011.

B3
Tim Tebow was a football player that was very religious and conservative. He entered the Discourse in 2010 with an anti-abortion ad aired during that year's Super Bowl. "Tebowing" was the name of the little kneel and pray he did after a touchdown, and if I recall Tebow was responsible for NCAA rules getting changed for post-touchdown behavior. Tim Tebow sucks and I can't be hosed to look up what he's doing after his otherwise unremarkable tenure in football.

B4
Occupy Wall Street began the prior fall, and it was still going on at this point. For cartoonists, it was mostly a chance to take jabs at millennials or make other "witty" cartoons.

NEXT WEEK: The Witch Huntsman are over. Newt is a Good Husband. The Keystone Pipeline Saga begins. And some idiot on a boat.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I think Tebow went to become an even more unexceptional baseball player.

The funniest thing about Tebow for me given his religiosity is that he would have probably had a pretty solid NFL career if not for his staggering pride. He wasn't really suited to play quarterback in the NFL, but that was the only position he was willing to play. So instead of playing Tight End and probably being pretty good, he washed out at QB.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tebow absolutely could have had an Edelman type career if he wasn't so fixated on being The Big Man

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Last year he had a .163 batting average in AAA so "unexceptional" is an incredibly generous description of his baseball career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Tim Tebow absolutely demolished the Steelers in the playoffs in the most hilarious way possible so I forgive him for everything