Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Here’s an unpopular one: FFXV is my favorite final fantasy by a pretty long shot. The road trip part of the game is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DildenAnders posted:

Sorry if my opinions on video-game women are too victorian for you, but I tend to think anyone whose eyes are larger than their wrists is "uncomfortable" to say the least.

i think this dude just admitted they get wicked thoughts for sonic the hedgehog

e: it’s not even a valid criticism of the quoted picture lol

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 12, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What happens when all the game devs hit their mid life crisis and wish their kids respected them

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

precision posted:

Ever since the N64, every Nintendo console has had like 6 amazing games that justify the console by themselves and not much else. It's their gimmick now

Six is enough. Literally no-one needs more than six games during a Nintendo console lifetime if they're good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What happens when all the game devs hit their mid life crisis and wish their kids respected them

They make the last of us

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Six is enough. Literally no-one needs more than six games during a Nintendo console lifetime if they're good.

Honestly, 90 percent of what I played on my GameCube was Metroid Prime, Rogue Squadron II, and Super Smash Brothers Melee.

But those were also the peak of their series and the ones that came after have all been pale shadows.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

food court bailiff posted:

i think this dude just admitted they get wicked thoughts for sonic the hedgehog

e: it’s not even a valid criticism of the quoted picture lol

Yes it doesn't apply to the picture you used but in game those are absolutely the proportions.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
While I agree, most adults only have so much time to play on their console over the years before the next one comes out, and most people only latch on two just a few solid time-wasters, the 'trouble' with Nintendo consoles is that if you don't want to be playing Zelda or MarioKart, the chances of you actually getting those six golden games is pretty drat slim. While I've not owned a Console in decades, I've watched my BIL's habits. He's been playing stuff like RedDeadRedemption and ArkhamAsylum games. I can foresee a future with him swapping from PS to Xbox, but never one where he's on a Nintendo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It all depends on your taste in games. Between Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Kirby, Splatoon, Smash Bros, Zelda, Yoshi, the first party stuff is pretty diverse, and there's actually pretty decent third party support if you're not interested in Call of Assassins' Battlefield. (which also kinda makes the complaints about Nintendo making the same games over and over kinda ridiculous because literally the entire industry does that at least twice as bad)

Of course if you're that big into games, a lot like the Wii the Switch makes a good secondary console. Xbox and Playstation are basically completely interchangeable at this point aside from a tiny handful of good exclusives (I think the last one was like, Bloodborne) and PC basically covers the rest.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Xbox and Playstation are basically completely interchangeable at this point aside from a tiny handful of good exclusives (I think the last one was like, Bloodborne) and PC basically covers the rest.

Spiderman, god dammit.

That game was really good.

And for all the complaints of modern games being repeats, AssCreed Origins and Odyssey had more improvements between them than Mario Kart SNES and Switch (which was a release of the WiiU game for sixty bucks, mind). Mario Kart has just changed up its tracks, added some interchangeable racers, and put in maybe two powerups?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Spiderman, god dammit.

That game was really good.

And for all the complaints of modern games being repeats, AssCreed Origins and Odyssey had more improvements between them than Mario Kart SNES and Switch (which was a release of the WiiU game for sixty bucks, mind). Mario Kart has just changed up its tracks, added some interchangeable racers, and put in maybe two powerups?

respect to mario kart for kind of pioneering the genre but it’s always been really mediocre

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

respect to mario kart for kind of pioneering the genre but it’s always been really mediocre

Battle mode is fun but the way it always gives really strong power ups to the people in the back makes it have the Mario Party issue of “its all decided by random chance at the end, so why bother trying?” It’s poo poo game design because once you see behind the curtain you know that actually playing the game barely matters.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Here’s an unpopular one: FFXV is my favorite final fantasy by a pretty long shot. The road trip part of the game is so good.

ff15 is so good it's tied for me with mother 3, ff9, and lost odyssey for the best games of all time

mind the walrus posted:

Any PC gamer that slanders the console market is self-defeating af though. We need them.

i love consoles. nintendo typically controls for quality so hard on their first party and exclusive titles, making sure the entire game is good and not just the first 120 minutes, that you simply can't go wrong

Ghost Leviathan posted:

if you're kojima you shove a full-blown metal gear solid plot into a card game and put a punctuation mark in the title

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 12, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

ff15 is so good it's tied for me with mother 3, ff9, and lost odyssey for the best games of all time

i love consoles. nintendo typically controls for quality so hard on their first party and exclusive titles, making sure the entire game is good and not just the first 120 minutes, that you simply can't go wrong

The mechanics are okay, but the interactions between the characters and the general atmosphere make it so weirdly relaxing. I think some of it is the architecture- from the nice seaside hotels to the greasy spoon diners and mechanic shops, it's basically always somewhere where you can look at it and think "I'd like to spend time there"

The White Dragon posted:

The Link's Awakening remake shakes like a late-stage alcoholic if you play it portably.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

Yes it doesn't apply to the picture you used but in game those are absolutely the proportions.

i somehow missed this but 1) I have not posted any pictures in this thread and 2) no they aren’t and your continued insistence that this character that doesn’t even show her shoulders and is literally your daughter in-game is some hypersexual grotesquery says a lot about you

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF15 is so different from the others it's hard to compare. Not just mechanically, but the entire way the game is structured and played is very different. Saying FF15 is better than FF4 is like saying swiss cheese is better than raspberries

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Didn't Odyssey just turn into a single player MMO while it's kinda obvious you've literally never played a Mario Kart game if you're making that comparison

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Jerry Cotton posted:

But the DS was so good because it was the king of little third-party cult hits. This mindset doesn't get a Rocket Slime or Ghost Trick released.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't Odyssey just turn into a single player MMO

No? A game with a big world and lots of quests isn't automatically an MMO :confused:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

FF15 is so different from the others it's hard to compare. Not just mechanically, but the entire way the game is structured and played is very different. Saying FF15 is better than FF4 is like saying swiss cheese is better than raspberries

15 feels more coherent than the FF's I've played (VII, VIII, IX, XII), which is kind of funny considering its development was all over the place. But it comes across as something written about friendship and the breaking of that bond for each other's benefit instead of...what those games had.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't Odyssey just turn into a single player MMO while it's kinda obvious you've literally never played a Mario Kart game if you're making that comparison

Did you play Odyssey? It has some stuff you can grind if you want but the main campaign and DLCs don't take endless grinding. It's a long game and has a loot system but it's not an MMO at all. How am I wrong at Mario Kart? It has some drift boosting but things like the bullet bill and blue shell legit just exist to have the player in last place shake up the front of the pack. Yeah, 8 added something that can knock out a blue shell, but you have to luck into it and hold onto it the whole time you're in first

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Can we just hate bioshock infinite because the plot and gameplay were terrible. Also Mario Kart for the SNES was a literally perfect game so I'm not sure what would be improved or iterated upon

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Can we just hate bioshock infinite because the plot and gameplay were terrible

I played through most of Bioshock Infinite and then had to turn my computer off because of a thunderstorm during the last boss battle... and didn’t care enough to go back and finish it even an hour later.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Though I think Diddy Kong Racing was a rather better effort than Mario Kart 64

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Can we just hate bioshock infinite because the plot and gameplay were terrible.

Absolutely. Great first hour or two, then straight down the toilet to craptown

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Though I think Diddy Kong Racing was a rather better effort than Mario Kart 64

I don't think Mario Kart players will disagree.

Annoying thing is Nintendo's said they haven't made another F-Zero game basically because they can't think of a gimmick for it, and then basically made Mario Kart into F-Zero complete with tracks.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think Mario Kart players will disagree.

Annoying thing is Nintendo's said they haven't made another F-Zero game basically because they can't think of a gimmick for it, and then basically made Mario Kart into F-Zero complete with tracks.

Wow, 15 years since Climax. Sucks to see Nintendo abandon a cool series like that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
F-Zero sucks butt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A little disappointing since for the most part Nintendo doesn't do the thing the rest of the industry does with abandoning entire once-thriving genres basically arbitrarily to chase the new hotness by making a transparent knockoff of what everyone else is already doing.

Did you play Odyssey? It has some stuff you can grind if you want but the main campaign and DLCs don't take endless grinding. It's a long game and has a loot system but it's not an MMO at all. How am I wrong at Mario Kart? It has some drift boosting but things like the bullet bill and blue shell legit just exist to have the player in last place shake up the front of the pack. Yeah, 8 added something that can knock out a blue shell, but you have to luck into it and hold onto it the whole time you're in first

The point is you sound exactly the same as you're accusing Mario Kart fans of sounding. 'Didn't you play it? This one's DIFFERENT, because...'

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A little disappointing since for the most part Nintendo doesn't do the thing the rest of the industry does with abandoning entire once-thriving genres basically arbitrarily to chase the new hotness by making a transparent knockoff of what everyone else is already doing.

The point is you sound exactly the same as you're accusing Mario Kart fans of sounding. 'Didn't you play it? This one's DIFFERENT, because...'

I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything, I'm just bascially saying why I'm tired of Mario Kart these days. I used to love the series on SNES and N64, you know? 8 just felt like the Murphy Brown revival to me. "Welp, this was popular, let's do it again", and playing a bunch of Mario Party back in the day is kind of what got me to nail down why it was so dissapointing. Like, I didn't drop 60 bucks on MK8 with the intent to hate it, and I didn't hate it- that's part of the problem. I just didn't feel anything at all when I was playing it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you like playing video games on consoles, you probably think the load times are okay and that is very sad.

I played MH:W on console and it was the loving worst. I returned my PS4 Pro after playing for a few hours because of load times. Yikes.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

bioshock infinite is an awful game but it's not because whats-her-name looks like a disney character

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jokes posted:

If you like playing video games on consoles, you probably think the load times are okay and that is very sad.

I played MH:W on console and it was the loving worst. I returned my PS4 Pro after playing for a few hours because of load times. Yikes.

That’s honestly why I don’t play Yakuza 6/Judgment on my PS4 these days, I’m spoiled by my SSD load times. My NVMe drives read at 1.4 GB/sec instead of 100 MB/sec and it makes a massive difference in loading.

E:Even the SATA SSD reads at 400 MB a second and that makes a big difference. A minute to load or fifteen seconds?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

jokes posted:

Actually I'm okay with load times precisely because of 80s PC gaming

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

Actually I'm okay with load times precisely because of 80s PC gaming

I lost my poo poo about load times playing battlefield 3 in 2011 on PC. And I've been playing PC games since Sid Meier's F15 Stike Eagle II. BF3 was the point where the technology wasn't really able to keep uo with the gameplay.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jim Sterling is probably the most worthless videogames talking head ever. His entire schick sucks and he's loving disgusting looking.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Jim Sterling is probably the most worthless videogames talking head ever. His entire schick sucks and he's loving disgusting looking.

OK :shrug:

e: I did a BIS and he looks like everyone I've ever seen that's in a polyamorous relationship.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I’m still annoyed he gave alpha protocol a horrifically bad review and complained about the pistol skill being worthless.

The skill that let you insta headshot five dudes with lethal or nonlethal rounds.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I’m still annoyed he gave alpha protocol a horrifically bad review and complained about the pistol skill being worthless.

The skill that let you insta headshot five dudes with lethal or nonlethal rounds.

or instagib bosses by instantly headshotting them repeatedly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FoolyCharged posted:

or instagib bosses by instantly headshotting them repeatedly.

Bosses that will comment on how good a spy you are if you unequip your armor and meet them in normal people clothes.

God drat AP was good. I might make a decennial thread in games this May and we can all exchange weird story changes we ended up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Oh for sure. The protagonists are likeable and only turn into moody bastards once things turn to poo poo. The graphics are loving gorgeous and it was a joy to just drive around and look at poo poo. A big one for me was that I found the combat to be actually fun. I utterly despise the typical turn based stuff they do in most JRPGs. It takes me right out of a game and I think Pokemon is the only series I accept it in. Probably because the single player is so piss easy.