Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Sorry you have to micro now you dumb Protoss baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
If you execute it well you can probably take any solid cheese build to about masters if your micro doesn't suck, but good luck beyond that

drepimetheus
Aug 10, 2018
I've really fallen deeply in love with SC2 over the past year. I don't follow the subreddit nor a twitter scene, so beyond the Pylon Show this is my SC2 community. I wanted to thank everyone who has contributed at all to this thread, you've helped enrich a burgeoning hobby of mine. The vods, memes, and commentary have been much appreciated. I hope you're all having a good Christmas.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Rip passion, but pro scene has owned the past couple years. Merry zeezmas.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Merry zeezmas.

I still play every now and then but I don't know if I have the passion to regain my Master status.

RIP ZeeZ

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
this game is still good

now playing kinda seriously for the first time after owning SC1 since launch, thanks to vibe's guides, and it's fun! playing as a dirty zerg and just doing macro, now up to plat 3. The opponent's skill levels vary wiiiildly tho. Sometimes a dude turtles up on 1 base and stays on 20 workers while periodically sending out 20 marines, other times I'm rushed by loving zillions of speedlings and banes before I even get my poo poo started. Eh, it'll probably be more consistent in matching me with somewhat proper players once I get more matches under my belt.

Mech is kinda hard to deal with tho as a zerg, siege tanks murder my squishier units, and thors kill my broods. I guess lurkers are my best option here to fight with minimum micro?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Samopsa posted:

Mech is kinda hard to deal with tho as a zerg, siege tanks murder my squishier units, and thors kill my broods. I guess lurkers are my best option here to fight with minimum micro?

Until they mix the Thors with Tanks.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Masters zergs want to comment on TvZ? Because aligulac indicates that in the last couple of weeks it's been broken: http://aligulac.com/periods/latest/

Short period, I know, but not a terrible sample size, and that effect size - a 61.86% Terran win rate! Criminy! Is this just from T all figuring out mech is optimal right now in that matchup?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Neurosis posted:

Masters zergs want to comment on TvZ? Because aligulac indicates that in the last couple of weeks it's been broken: http://aligulac.com/periods/latest/

Short period, I know, but not a terrible sample size, and that effect size - a 61.86% Terran win rate! Criminy! Is this just from T all figuring out mech is optimal right now in that matchup?

I'm not really good enough to confidently say anything, but I can theorize:

Thors outrange broods and vipers. Changes to neural parasite make it significantly less good to counter lots of thors. Hellion/cyclone virtually requires fungal growth to counter.

Additionally, changes in the meta where mech players can field upwards of 70 scvs make it such that Z and T have equal economies, and it is hard for Z to take any efficient trades.

Need to see some pro games to really get a good idea, though.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Synastren posted:

I'm not really good enough to confidently say anything, but I can theorize:

Thors outrange broods and vipers. Changes to neural parasite make it significantly less good to counter lots of thors. Hellion/cyclone virtually requires fungal growth to counter.

Additionally, changes in the meta where mech players can field upwards of 70 scvs make it such that Z and T have equal economies, and it is hard for Z to take any efficient trades.

Need to see some pro games to really get a good idea, though.

I should've qualifeid 'Terrans figuring out mech is optimal' with 'after realising in the last few weeks the importance of the November patch'. What you're saying sounds plausible. As you say, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I have a notion that because of Zerg mechanics they are much more susceptible to minor changes throwing out their feeling of the game until they figure it out again - because of the flexibility of the race, they benefit more from developing a knowledge of how every iteration of the game plays out. But that is less important for the late game, where players usually have better information and have all their tech up. So this might be the change that doesn't see the kind of aggressive Zerg-favoured correction you see in other cases (well, I'd be surprised if we didn't see some movement from a 62% win rate).

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Really interested to see what will happen with future iterations of microbial shroud or just infestor changes in general. Also will be curious if thors get another change, because in their current state they seem to be a bit too strong. Especially in TvZ where their two biggest counters were nerfed at the same time the Thor was buffed.

Either way I have been quite enjoying the current state of the game. Seems like build variety/viability is at an all time high. looking forward to GSL being announced to see what the pros have been up to.

I was watching HeroMarines channel last week though and he said he probably won't be playing professionally much longer, and even Serral hasn't been practicing because GSL and blizzard haven't been communicating any plans for tournaments so a lot of the pros are wondering if they even have a job other than Katowice

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is there a good Silver-level guide to being a basic Terran anywhere? I don't want the current meta build order, I need to work on stuff like how to know when to expand and when I should be upgrading my CCs and when I should be using them to pump out SCVs.

I don't even know if this is the right thread for this question, I'm only competitive in the technical sense that I do play against other human beings who are about as terrible as me.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If you're not looking for a specific build order you can generally just always be making SCVs and units. Whenever you start floating resources you build more CC's to expand and more factories/rax to make units. Just make your goal to have your production buildings always making something without floating more than 1k minerals at any point in the game.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Is there a good Silver-level guide to being a basic Terran anywhere? I don't want the current meta build order, I need to work on stuff like how to know when to expand and when I should be upgrading my CCs and when I should be using them to pump out SCVs.

I don't even know if this is the right thread for this question, I'm only competitive in the technical sense that I do play against other human beings who are about as terrible as me.

go watch this playlist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRzaIP6jl5s

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Win rates normalised later in the month - I wouldn't have expected so much randomness but I guess a lot of the games in the sample earlier were played between a smaller group of players so those observations weren't independent: http://aligulac.com/misc/balance/

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 4, 2020

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Seriously, anyone who wants to learn SC2 (or macro RTS in general) should watch this playlist from the beginning.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Neurosis posted:

Win rates normalised later in the month - I wouldn't have expected so much randomness but I guess a lot of the games in the sample earlier were played between a smaller group of players so those observations weren't independent: http://aligulac.com/misc/balance/

Wow the latest data from this resource indicates the game is extremely balanced. Worst balance is 48-52.

:siren: GSL WHEN?!?! :siren:

When is the start date of code s!?

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah 48-52 is pretty good. You could flip a coin 100 times and get more one sided results. Really poor communication from Blizz and afreeca about events this year tho

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Yeah 48-52 is pretty good. You could flip a coin 100 times and get more one sided results. Really poor communication from Blizz and afreeca about events this year tho

Given that Blizz hatcheted their Heroes of the Storm eSports division, Blizzard's participation in more SC2 events is a lot less certain than in the past.

Also consider that they're going to want to spool up hype for WC3R, and who knows what Blizzard will decide?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
The announcements have been getting later each year. Part of that is just the overall esports field being much fuller and generally there is a preference to not have big events competing too much and also talent availability to manage. The other part of it is that blizz is basically running their non ow stuff on a skeleton crew and the people who used to do the hard planning work are gone

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Even the Overwatch league isn’t doing that great, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Blizzard doing away with official support for eSports in general within a few years.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is there any competitive online game that's had as many continuous years of an active tournament scene as SC/SC2?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Zwabu posted:

Is there any competitive online game that's had as many continuous years of an active tournament scene as SC/SC2?
Not online until recently, but you could argue that the Street Fighter series qualifies.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Counterstrike?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SC is the longest running for single tournaments afaik, though CSGO has had a competitive scene for about as long as SC. GSL in particular is, I believe, the longest running esports show period.

Oasx posted:

Even the Overwatch league isn’t doing that great, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Blizzard doing away with official support for eSports in general within a few years.

They're contractually obligated to keep the lights on for at least another couple of years, unless I'm misremembering the contracts. The league does have some major structural issues that were starting to get a lot of press last year, though this season with the travelling and home/away stuff is going to present a huge new bunch of challenges. In a lot of ways running the whole thing out of CA and having everyone close by and living in team houses and still able to interact was kind of a best case scenario for minimizing a lot of player stress (even though forcing a bunch of foreign kids to live in LA was creating a fuckton of stress, too).

Really who the gently caress knows how a bunch of shutins who just want to play 15 hours of games a day are going to handle being forced to travel internationally and deal with jetlag and deal with local food and cultures and so forth. It may indeed go well, but the old format was already generating completely insane amounts of burnout and exhuastion so I guess we will see.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 7, 2020

Pengwin
Apr 3, 2007

MIND MIND MIND

https://starcraft2.com/en-us/news/23230082

:siren: To replace WCS, Blizz will fund 3 years of a pro SC2 (and WC3) circuit run by ESL and Dreamhack. SC2 will have at least $1.2m prize pool every year provided by Blizzard with $1.9m for this coming season. 4 Dreamhack and 2 ESL events per year plus weekly ESL online events. Plus, a promise that a deal for offline SC2 in Korea will be announced shortly.

I have more thoughts to post soon but my initial feeling is that this is extremely good news. The assurance of funding should prevent the shrinkage of the (foreign) pro player base.

e: WC3 pro circuit details here.

Pengwin fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 7, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Looks like that was cheaper than keeping a bunch of esports people on staff

Interesting that they're going for weekly events, that's been the rage with almost every other big esport where they're now broken down into weekly games as part of a whole season of play, which is probably good as a spectator and for whatever commentators get the contracts to work that.

Still seems like Blizz not even mentioning sc2 in their blizzcon closing video foreshadowed them washing their hands of the game

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 7, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Oh poo poo Warcraft 3 is this month?
Cya later protoss!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Pengwin posted:

https://starcraft2.com/en-us/news/23230082

:siren: To replace WCS, Blizz will fund 3 years of a pro SC2 (and WC3) circuit run by ESL and Dreamhack. SC2 will have at least $1.2m prize pool every year provided by Blizzard with $1.9m for this coming season. 4 Dreamhack and 2 ESL events per year plus weekly ESL online events. Plus, a promise that a deal for offline SC2 in Korea will be announced shortly.

I have more thoughts to post soon but my initial feeling is that this is extremely good news. The assurance of funding should prevent the shrinkage of the (foreign) pro player base.

e: WC3 pro circuit details here.

The good news: I no longer have to pay any attention to Blizzcon.

The bad news: The biggest tournament is in Europe, so I'll never be able to go to one--which I was going to plan on doing this year at Blizzcon. :negative:

Activision-Blizzard is a trashfire of a company, and, while it's good that they're stepping back significantly, it's somewhat disappointing that they're distancing themselves from such a core IP that was pivotal for their rise to prominence.

Maybe there will be at least one Stateside event this year? :ohdear:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This seems like a good thing all-round, the pro players know that there will be something to play for for the next three years, and we don't have to keep waiting each year to see if WCS is still a thing.
Having Apollo in charge of the SC2 pro scene can only be good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Synastren posted:

I hold out hope we'll see a Starcraft tournament in the UK but it will probably never happen

Pengwin
Apr 3, 2007

MIND MIND MIND

Synastren posted:

The good news: I no longer have to pay any attention to Blizzcon.

The bad news: The biggest tournament is in Europe, so I'll never be able to go to one--which I was going to plan on doing this year at Blizzcon. :negative:

Activision-Blizzard is a trashfire of a company, and, while it's good that they're stepping back significantly, it's somewhat disappointing that they're distancing themselves from such a core IP that was pivotal for their rise to prominence.

Dreamhack Dallas, May 22-24, is one of the stops along with Montreal (which I will try to attend). More details on format here: https://tl.net/forum/starcraft-2/554463-esl-pro-tour-replaces-wcs-on-a-3-year-deal

Yeah, I think Blizzard stepping back and handing the reins to third parties who know StarCraft and esports is a good thing -- probably the best news from this announcement aside from the length of the deal. It'll be interesting to see what kind of representation StarCraft now gets at Blizzcon (the blue post said there would be something).

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Looks like that was cheaper than keeping a bunch of esports people on staff

Interesting that they're going for weekly events, that's been the rage with almost every other big esport where they're now broken down into weekly games as part of a whole season of play, which is probably good as a spectator and for whatever commentators get the contracts to work that.

Still seems like Blizz not even mentioning sc2 in their blizzcon closing video foreshadowed them washing their hands of the game

Esports people cost a lot less than production

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Looking forward to seeing how that plays out, mildly optimistic, at least there's money for the coming three years!

Still plugging away at laddering with Vibe's guide, I'm now at plat 2 with zerg and 'toss, plat 3 after my ranking matches as Terran. Goddamn, Terran is a lot harder to play imo! MULE's do smooth things over a ton, really helps when you've lost a ton of workers after a timing or something.

I did notice that Vibe is truly right: if you just macro well and only care about composition and smart timing you will win more than 50% of your games, which still holds true @ plat 2 for me at least. I can defend early game all ins pretty well now, and if things go to the end game stubbornness and just holding on and plugging away at the enemy wins the game most of the time; mid-game times are what takes me out most often because I forget to scout once my economy gets hectic.

drepimetheus
Aug 10, 2018
https://imgur.com/a/YbGr56I

Just a normal Saturday morning here. Hope you're all dominating the ladder.

I tried to embed the image in this post but couldn't figure it out. Perhaps I'll make Computer Literacy flashcards next.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

drepimetheus posted:

https://imgur.com/a/YbGr56I

Just a normal Saturday morning here. Hope you're all dominating the ladder.

I tried to embed the image in this post but couldn't figure it out. Perhaps I'll make Computer Literacy flashcards next.

holy crap are those sc2 flashcards

drepimetheus
Aug 10, 2018
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MydB9HiTGjWGVWVW1j3pSLvkuhhH8BZ1-obNBGD3TBw/edit?usp=sharing

Work in Progress. This is getting out of control.

I welcome critique or mockery. I'm having fun.

I feel the passion and hope you're having a good day.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

You do you, but I don't think this is the best way to learn the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pengwin
Apr 3, 2007

MIND MIND MIND

Your passion owns, but I agree that if your goal is to improve as a player, that is not going to be very efficient learning.

Most active players probably couldn't tell you 90% of the stuff on this spreadsheet from memory. Unit stats only matter relative to other units, and you can get a better handle of those relationships just by watching and playing a lot. Comparing two armies and knowing which one is stronger and how a fight should be approached is entirely a heuristics thing that depends little on knowledge of exact numbers.

That said, some of those numbers can be randomly useful for theorycrafting and for watching and talking about the game with people. I would enjoy having all those things memorized too, so go for it if you want to.

Something more beneficial to memorize as a player could be build orders and how standard play works in each of your matchups (excellent example for ZvT here).