Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
My dad decided it would be a great idea to start driving a motorcycle at 60, and got in several minor accidents that were presumably fate warning him before he got in a huge one that totaled his bike, turned his shoulder to cereal, and broke his leg in like 15 places. He was bedridden for almost a year, with my mom having to tend to him like a baby and give him injections, and he wanted to buy a new motorcycle to get right back to riding afterwards. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I mean, if you wanna tempt death, doing so at 60+ is a good time to do so.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hell, I think they'll even let you keep your organs at that age when they bury you. I can't imagine 60 year old hearts or livers or corneas are in terrific shape before the wreck.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

packetmantis posted:

My dad decided it would be a great idea to start driving a motorcycle at 60, and got in several minor accidents that were presumably fate warning him before he got in a huge one that totaled his bike, turned his shoulder to cereal, and broke his leg in like 15 places. He was bedridden for almost a year, with my mom having to tend to him like a baby and give him injections, and he wanted to buy a new motorcycle to get right back to riding afterwards. :thumbsup:

I started riding in France, when I was 14.

Moving back to the States and witnessing traffic here, particularly on the East Coast...nope.

I am 57 and will stick with convertibles, thank you kindly.

e:

By popular demand posted:

Bad idea: motorcycling at 60
Good idea: motorboating at 69
:quagmire:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 13, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Reminds me of a joke.

How do you spot a smart motorcyclist?

You can't; they're all driving cars.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Bad idea: motorcycling at 60
Good idea: motorboating at 69
:quagmire:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Americans are very stupid, and feel that it's their right to have their brains splatted on concrete, because PPE is for pussies

Imagine saving your family money by having a funeral instead of bankrupting 2-3 generations with medical burdens to live halfway through the rest of your life.

:911::patriot::911:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Uthor posted:

I mean, if you wanna tempt death, doing so at 60+ is a good time to do so.

Yeah. 60+ is probably the best time to ride. My dad puts more miles on his motorcycle each year than a lot of people do over a motorcycle's lifetime ("you can find at least one nice day to ride a month" he says...in Minnesota). He's got all his affairs in order and I'm legally obligated to pull the plug after a specified number of days if he turns himself into a vegetable. He's only got a few years left because of medical issues and he's going to enjoy his rediculously tuned up built engine Harley until the end.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MisterOblivious posted:

Yeah. 60+ is probably the best time to ride. My dad puts more miles on his motorcycle each year than a lot of people do over a motorcycle's lifetime ("you can find at least one nice day to ride a month" he says...in Minnesota). He's got all his affairs in order and I'm legally obligated to pull the plug after a specified number of days if he turns himself into a vegetable. He's only got a few years left because of medical issues and he's going to enjoy his rediculously tuned up built engine Harley until the end.

Same for my dad. Except the Minnesota part.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Shut up Meg posted:

I've oft wondered what would happen in the real world if someone did that.

The GIP idiots thread will tell you stories of soldiers/officers NDing into things or losing a pistol and getting a helicopter crew killed in a crash looking for it. Conversely the military history thread will tell you about 16th century German mercenaries accidentally killing each other because PFC Wulfrich decided to unload a pistol by firing it out a window.

Excerpt from Ernest Junger's "Storm of Steel":

quote:

On 4 August, we left the train at the famous station of Mars-la-Tour. The 7th and 8th Companies were billeted at Doncourt, where we led a life of calm contemplation for a few days. The only thing that made difficulties for me were the short rations. It was strictly forbidden to go foraging; and, even so, every morning the military police brought me the names of men they'd caught lifting potatoes, and whom I had no option but to punish — 'for being stupid enough to get yourselves caught' was my own, unofficial, reason.

That it doesn't do to steal was brought home to me as well in those days. Tebbe and I had snaffled a glass coach from an abandoned Flemish mansion and managed to get it on the transport, away from prying eyes. Now, we wanted to undertake a jaunt to Metz, to live life at the full once more. So we harnessed up one afternoon, and drove off. Unfortunately, the carriage, constructed for the plains of Flanders rather than the hills of Lorraine, had no brakes. We left the village already doing quite a lick, and before long we were on a wild ride that could only end badly. First to go was the coachman, then Tebbe, who made a hard landing on a pile of agricultural implements. I stayed behind on the silken upholstery, feeling rather unhappy. A door sprang open, and was knocked off by a passing telegraph mast. At last the carriage raced down a steep slope, and smashed against a wall at the bottom. Leaving the wrecked conveyance by a window, I was to my astonishment unhurt.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Buckle up...

https://i.imgur.com/5VIgh5t.gifv

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

"How are they filming this... is it a drone they are us-" :stare:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

gently caress :stare:

How did they not die? Whichever deity they pray to, I want in.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Thought this thread might enjoy a photoshop twitter thread of rescue vehicles and safety equipment added to famous paintings.

https://twitter.com/andy_doe/status/1215994216909824001?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

...taiwan?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The comments said Nepal.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

"I bet we're going to see a car go by... :aaaaa:"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cartoon Man posted:

The comments said Nepal.

Right continent!

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I yelled NO irl when I saw they were in a car driving towards it :gonk:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm not convinced that this isn't some new amusement park ride.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
~~~OSHA road,
~~~take me home,
~~~to the place,
~~~I was killed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What magic spell did they cast on the tires so that they didn't lose contact and waterfall off the cliff in the inches of moving water?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

The comments said Nepal.

You sure it isn't La Paz Death Road in Boliva? It's seems eerily similar.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Did Yungas Road ever have features like “guard rails” and “good pavement”?

e: Poking around, I found this Turkish road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_tCxUmZTwo

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 12, 2020

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

zedprime posted:

What magic spell did they cast on the tires so that they didn't lose contact and waterfall off the cliff in the inches of moving water?

40 american tourists worth of weight.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm not convinced that this isn't some new amusement park ride.

I was going to say new Splash Mountain looks good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Surprised the driver of the car did because I'd expect the other bikers to just drag him out of the wreck and beat him to death right there.

chitoryu12 posted:

With guns? Depends. If it’s a pistol most holsters cover the trigger so nothing can snag it, so it’s technically safe as long as you don’t do a Tex Grebner. With a rifle? Hope you’re not walking through a jungle getting stuck on branches and vines.

Not to mention there are a lot of pistols that don't have safeties. No safeties on revolvers, because 12-14 lbs isn't going to be inadvertently applied to that trigger in most reasonable circumstances.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 12, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/AI3FH5C.mp4

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Phanatic posted:

Surprised the driver of the car did because I'd expect the other bikers to just drag him out of the wreck and beat him to death right there.

Not to mention there are a lot of pistols that don't have safeties. No safeties on revolvers, because 12-14 lbs isn't going to be inadvertently applied to that trigger in most reasonable circumstances.

Modern designs might not have active safety levers but most have a host of passive safety devices. Your typical modern revolver has a transfer bar so the hammer isn’t resting directly over a live cartridge, for example.

A lot of other designs incorporate safeties that are disengaged as part of the normal function of the weapon. Glock triggers being the most famous example. If your finger is on the trigger (which presumably means you want to shoot - keeping your finger off the trigger when you aren’t is fundamental gun safety) it activates the trigger safety so the gun will fire. If it isn’t that safety stays in place so dropping it or getting the side of the trigger snagged on gear or something won’t fire it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

it's like some ballet move

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Platystemon posted:

Did Yungas Road ever have features like “guard rails” and “good pavement”?

e: Poking around, I found this Turkish road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_tCxUmZTwo

Here is the road on google maps. A lot of switchbacks.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

C.M. Kruger posted:

The GIP idiots thread will tell you stories of soldiers/officers NDing into things or losing a pistol and getting a helicopter crew killed in a crash looking for it.

You really should have given a link to that story:

The Slithery D posted:

Thanks for reminding me of this bit of epic stupidity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/w...ast/27iraq.html

Here's what happened. My battalion was being moved mid-tour from the area south of Kirkuk to Mosul. Blackhawks land at a COP to pick up some soldiers and move them to FOB Warrior for further onward movement. En route, one of the pilots or crew drops his loving M9 pistol outside the helicopter into the moondust at night. (Rumor said it was a pilot who hadn't secured it with his lanyard after taking a piss.)

My company, already living at FOB Warrior and pulling the QRF mission gets the dumbest loving assignment of all time. Go to the specified grid and look for the M9. At night. In a desert crisscrossed by irrigation canals. Care to guess how many seconds after dropping the pistol they though to grab a grid, and how fast they were moving? Yeah.

So one of my buddies and his platoon go out look for the thing for an hour, and head back.

So then some genius, and I would love to know if it was at my BN ops or the aviation BN/BDE, TASKS TWO loving KIOWAS TO GO LOOK FOR THE M9 FROM THE AIR, WITH THEIR OPTICS, AT NIGHT. I don't know how long they tried this asshattery, but at some point they crashed into each other. The same loving platoon from my company went back out, secured the aircraft and bodies, and waited for EOD to come take care of the hellfires and other fun stuff sitting near/in burning fuel and then the recovery vehicles.

I would have heard if they ever executed anyone over this, so I guess no one was sufficiently punished. The most infuriating thing about the Army is leaders who can't adapt TTPs to different situations or understand why we do things a certain way and why it's completely asinine in changed circumstances. Some dipshit decided he needed to do the closest thing to a hands across the desert he could for a missing sensitive item, and four men died.

A week later the insurgency found that M9 and that's why we have ISIS now.

(The above based on testimony of the QRF platoon leader and what he was told at the time. I suppose it's remotely possible some enemy action was actually responsible, but in any case it happened while they were circling on a fool's errand someone ordered them to perform.)

Cyrano4747 posted:

Modern designs might not have active safety levers but most have a host of passive safety devices. Your typical modern revolver has a transfer bar so the hammer isn’t resting directly over a live cartridge, for example.

A lot of other designs incorporate safeties that are disengaged as part of the normal function of the weapon. Glock triggers being the most famous example. If your finger is on the trigger (which presumably means you want to shoot - keeping your finger off the trigger when you aren’t is fundamental gun safety) it activates the trigger safety so the gun will fire. If it isn’t that safety stays in place so dropping it or getting the side of the trigger snagged on gear or something won’t fire it.

I was more thinking about what would happen if a sergeant wondered around a base's canteen with a loaded/unsafetied weapon and then sassed a captain when challenged on it. Does that guy get put on latrine duty for a year, or does the captain let him get away with it cause he's a SEAL and if he's in the canteen, at least he's not out decapitating prisoners, canoeing bodies or sniping children

Also:

Wild T posted:

Idiots and guns to together like peanut butter and KY jelly.

Clearing barrel at a Bagram DFAC. Chubby Air Force Major waddles up, drops her M9's magazine without putting the muzzle in the barrel and squints at the instructions while flagging poor passers by. Locks the slide back and peers in the chamber. Satisfied, she inserts the magazine, sends the slide forward, sticks the muzzle into the clearing barrel (fortunately) and puts a round into it. She looks at her pistol like it's a disobedient puppy, repeats the steps, chambers another round and pops it in the barrel (while also dropping a live round on the ground that rolls away from her). Becoming increasingly red and looking about to cry, she manages to repeat the same process and put a third round into the barrel before a MSgt walks up and calmly takes her M9 and clears it for her.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ooh is it Army OSHA time? I've got two!

I did my mandatory military service (I'm Finnish) at the Artillery Brigade, which trains field artillery gun crews. You can't just fire 122mm to 155mm artillery pieces at the backyard, so near to the army base there's a firing range, which is basically a huge 20km or so long stretch of wilderness which allows for the safe firing of artillery pieces (albeit at not anything approaching maximum ranges).

This area serves multiple purposes. When there isn't any firing being done, there's a lot of moorland and forest for marches, camping exercises and other training, so there's a lot of access points into the firing area. Of course, when any firing is going to be done, the area is strictly 100% do not loving think about it off limits.

One day during an artillery firing camp (basically a week long exercise) our gun crew were driving to the firing area in an SA-150 truck, pulling the artillery piece, when suddenly the truck pulls to a stop still about 5-10km away from our destination. At the side of the road is a sergeant with a group of artillery observer trainees on their bicycles. The sergeant is trying to wrestle one of the locked gates into the artillery firing range open as the 20 or so trainees look on. Our lieutenant jumps out of the truck and starts yelling at the sergeant, demanding to know why the gently caress exactly he is trying to lead 20 or so trainees into the loving artillery firing area when a live fire exercise is ongoing and the guns could start firing at any moment.

Turns out they were running late and rather than taking the long route to the staging and firing area, he figured they should just open the gate and take a quick shortcut. I have never, ever seen our lieutenant (a nice and calm guy with a wonderful sense of humor) so loving livid with anyone as he was with that sergeant.

Then there was the time a group of officer candidates at the firing range had managed to load too heavy a propellant charge into their 130mm cannon, causing their shell to overshoot the target area and land in the backyard of a family in a nearby town. Luckily nobody was home, so there was just structural damage to the house. That one made it into the papers!

E: it wasn't the 122H63 howitzer, but the 130K54 cannon.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 12, 2020

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This looks like a car getting a terrible cramp.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Probably the most scary clip I’ve seen itt

Yikes

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

a group of officer candidates

I’m not sure if this is a euphemism, but it should be.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Holy gently caress! In guessing the only reason they went forward was because the road was disappearing from under them at the start.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

If it isn’t that safety stays in place so dropping it or getting the side of the trigger snagged on gear or something won’t fire it.
The Glock trigger safety is purely a drop safety.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's like some ballet move

Going "on pointe"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Der Shovel posted:

Then there was the time a group of officer candidates at the firing range had managed to load too heavy a propellant charge into their 130mm cannon, causing their shell to overshoot the target area and land in the backyard of a family in a nearby town. Luckily nobody was home, so there was just structural damage to the house. That one made it into the papers!

E: it wasn't the 122H63 howitzer, but the 130K54 cannon.

It would seem that a firing range, with weapons that have different propellant charges, should have no back yards out to the maximum distance of a given weapon and propellant charge. :v: I mean, that's just me!