Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
HID?

You can get them online for under $50/pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

Yeah the HID. Time was a factor, unfortunately, or they would have been ordered online.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Tomorrow, I attempt another suspension. It's an Indiana car, so hopefully the rust won't be as dire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Minto Took posted:

Tomorrow, I attempt another suspension. It's an Indiana car, so hopefully the rust won't be as dire.

Oh sweet child.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Oh sweet child.

I grew up in Indianapolis and my college Cavalier wasn’t terrible when I did that suspension. The Civic I tried to do last time was a Wisconsin car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Minto Took posted:

I grew up in Indianapolis and my college Cavalier wasn’t terrible when I did that suspension. The Civic I tried to do last time was a Wisconsin car.

I did the suspension on my 215k mile NJ/PA Forester last year and didn’t even have a single stubborn bolt. All four struts in an hour. My mind was blown

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I ripped a few parts off an Integra in a junkyard down here in Texas and was absolutely flabbergasted at the lack of effort required. My poor old critter spent half its life in Maine and every bolt takes work (and prayer that it comes out in one piece)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It'll depend on the make as well, and dumb luck maybe too. Working on Honda's in Canada's frozen north is not too bad, the bolts will typically put up a fight to break loose but once they've cracked they come out almost finger tight. Worked on a newish Ford transit at the time that came from Ontario and the entire job was an unending b string of cursing and fighting with every bolt and nut to the very last thread. It was agonizing.

My Subaru's, they are a mix of both depending on the fastener.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

It'll depend on the make as well, and dumb luck maybe too. Working on Honda's in Canada's frozen north is not too bad, the bolts will typically put up a fight to break loose but once they've cracked they come out almost finger tight.

Except for the loving brake rotor screws and the rear shock lower eye bolt on EGs.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Panty Saluter posted:

All the 0 means there is it flows better at low temperature, so the worst case is that is changes literally nothing

Yeah that's not completely true.

Multi grade oils are a thin base oil that get their high temperature viscosity through polymer additives which have a different viscosity/temperature gradient than the base oil. A 0WXX oil has a thinner base oil than a 10WXX. this is important because as the oil degrades it doesn't degrade towards the middle but towards the base oil viscosity, leaving you with a potential inadequate high temperature viscosity at maximum service interval.

This is of course a non issue if you disregard the ludicrous service intervals and change oil every 10k km. That's really the best advice ever when it comes to oil. Forget the 7 herbs and spices, forget unobtainium oil just get whatever part synthetic or HC synthetic oil checks your manufactures specs, match the correct viscosity for your temperature and usage and change that stuff frequently.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 11, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Except for the loving brake rotor screws and the rear shock lower eye bolt on EGs.

With rotor screws I'll give them a good try, but after that out comes the drill.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
I made a temporary fix to the wagon's exhaust because someone stole its catalytic converter recently, plus the o2 sensor got snipped and nicked as well since its threaded directly into the cat. I was able to move the glass-pack & muffler I had on it further upstream for now, near the header pipe, and its not pretty but since I'm wrenching on the roadside I'm not especially keen to be on my back in the street for very long. Especially at these temps. It'll have to do for now.

Oh, and I'm sure the rear shocks are blown because I mismatched them to the springs I ordered (too short), the plastic front fascia of the glove-box fell off, and the connection at the RR tail-lamp is finicky. There's more, but the wife's car is throwing a CEL for a cold-start signal, plus knock and o2 sensors. Thankfully her car didn't get vandalized because it's sitting below stock height; not that I lowered it any it's just overdue for shocks/struts.

Edit;

Minto Took posted:

Mild steel fastener I installed 3 months ago (Oct. 2019):

Embrace death.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 11, 2020

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

No place to hang these yet until I build another garage but i went and got them anyway. Honda dealer letters that happened to be manufactured on my birthday.

I did not realize how big they would be all arranged.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 11, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
jeebus.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
1995 Corolla:
-Replaced leaky power steering pressure line (surprisingly not awful)
-Replaced blown stupid little license plate bulbs
-Attempted to adjust junkyard headlight and snapped a piece of plastic crucial to its adjustment mechanism (yay), but used steel wire to get it in a good fixed position for the time being
Let's see if I get rejected again! (Likely)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Trip report: Suspension went fine. Nothing an impact wrench and Liquid Wrench couldn't unstick.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

Adjusted the valves in the truck yesterday, what a world of difference (crate motor, they were way too tight before). I like to do the adjustment with the truck running, mostly because it's quicker, but I was not prepared for how much oil a motor that actually makes pressure throws around. Gave the passenger side quite a bath before I stuck some cardboard in there. As a bonus I got to replace the belt tensioner twice! Once because the pulley bolt stripped rendering the tensioner inoperable, and then again because the brand new tensioner was hosed out of the box. Yay parts store garbage :D

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

A Small Car posted:

Adjusted the valves in the truck yesterday,

I like to do the adjustment with the truck running,

Is that some truck specific thing because hell that doesn't sound like a normal procedure to me.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

I always understood it as more of a preference thing. Proper procedure is at least somewhat similar to everything else out there (engine off, specific lash, etc), but the valve covers are so easy to pull, I'd rather just do it running. Then the lifters are pumped up and everything gets set that way, instead of either setting them before they've pumped up, or running it and hoping they all stay pumped up for the adjustment. Running, it takes me about 20 minutes to adjust all the valves (and that includes pulling the AC compressor to remove the passenger valve cover), off it takes me significantly longer and I've never thought the motors I've done that way ran as well. I just back the nut off until the valve starts to tick, tighten it until the ticking stops, and go another 1/4 turn after that.

FWIW, the engine had an initial valve adjustment done the proper way, and they were ridiculously tight. I could hear a couple that weren't fully closing and it made the engine really uneven, especially at idle. I probably keep mine a bit too loose when I do the adjustment, but the engine's noticeably happier now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Haha, I think it just sounds odd because common valve adjustment is swapping the shim under the bucket or the adjuster / lock nut is on the end of the rocker over the valve, which is moving when the motor is turning over. I'm assuming yours is an OHC Chevy motor or something where the adjuster is in the center of the rocker arm.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

Yup, just a basic small block chevy with an overhead cam. Other engine designs would be a lot harder to adjust while running :D

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wouldn't that be overhead valve? :confused:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You're right, I wasn't thinking when I said OHC. OHV :v:

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

STR posted:

Wouldn't that be overhead valve? :confused:

Yes it should be, and I just went with it :doh: I'll leave my stupidity intact for posterity

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A Small Car posted:

Yes it should be, and I just went with it :doh: I'll leave my stupidity intact for posterity

It's ok. You're A Small Car.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Yesterday:
Replaced wheel hub and knuckle on my Subaru for the 3rd time (don't ask). The road noise is finally gone.
Got a code for O2 sensor circuit low last week. Unplugged, cleaned and greased up the pins. Plugged back in and the check engine light is gone without clearing codes. Seems like a fix to me.
Hopefully I get this thing out of my life soon.

Saturday:

Was at the Junkyard for other cars when I happened to spot the exact year and color of my Jeep; but when is there NOT a gold Grand Cherokee at the junkyard. Pulled a fender but haven't put it on yet.

Debadged my xB since I'm replacing this hatch at some point anyways. I think I like it! Oh my plates arrived too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chunjee posted:

Yesterday:
Replaced wheel hub and knuckle on my Subaru for the 3rd time (don't ask). The road noise is finally gone.

I suspect you ran into the same issue I had. About to do the same thing. :sigh:

Someone's replaced the RF knuckle before, complete with the axle. Getting the axle out was a complete bitch involving a bent press and oxy/acet fueled fire, not even gonna try to pull the hub. There wasn't even visible rust on the axle stub, it was just stuck in there drat good. The wheel bearing didn't take well to being heated nearly white hot.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

After reading all the Subaru chat, it is nice to know I can safely cross another automaker off the "perhaps ok to buy list."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cross-post from my personal thread:

Darchangel posted:

So I pulled the wheel and tire off of the Crown Vic to have it patched. I think I found the leak:

Make that leaks:

So what would cause this wear? It drives fine. I don't think the alignment is that out of whack.

edit: I'm thinking I ran it low too much due to the slow leak.

At any rate, two new tires - Goodyear GS/A to match the rear - ordered. <sigh>

Edit: tires are in, so now I need to find a time to go to Discount Tire and wait 2 hours to have them installed. 2x $114 tires = $327 after all the BS!

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Last week my dad tells me he thinks there's a dust shield scraping in his 2013 Impala and asks if I can take a look at it.
I will preface this by saying that my dad is pretty hard of hearing and I'm pretty sure he turns his hearing aid off when he's not actively having a conversation.

I pick up the car and immediately see that the front passenger side rotor has some pretty groves in it. Driving it with no brake applied gives you a pleasant metal on metal scraping / grinding that you can also feel. Thankfully, his house is two doors down from my house.

Notice the incredibly uneven wear on the rotor.

Still plenty of the brake pad's back plate left:

Thankfully the caliper compressed just fine and there are no leaks anywhere on it. Rust appropriate for Midwest winter driving.

The brake fluid looked fine.
All of the caliper pins looked to be in great shape. I cleaned and re-lubed them all.

New Duralast (official brake rotors of NASCAR) Gold rotors and pads installed and ready to go.
Still have to take it for a shake down drive.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Is that a high carbon content rotor? Never seen one that color before

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

looks like it was sprayed with rust reformer

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Panty Saluter posted:

Is that a high carbon content rotor? Never seen one that color before

It says it is. Also claims to have "Z-cladding" to inhibit corrosion.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Be interested to see it after a few miles

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Panty Saluter posted:

Be interested to see it after a few miles

I'm sure it will have a lovely patina of rust like everything else up here. Its fancy coating rendered useless.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

After reading all the Subaru chat, it is nice to know I can safely cross another automaker off the "perhaps ok to buy list."

You definitely need to pay attention to head gaskets and make sure matching tires are on them, but otherwise they're as reliable as any other car of the era, and they tend to hold up very well in accidents. Electronics are mostly Denso, Jatco made their traditional automatics (they're a Nissan spinoff, but made transmissions for Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Ford, Mazda, Land Rover, VW, Renault, and others), and they're fun to slide around. Yes, even the nearly 2 ton pig with 165 hp known as the early 00s Outback wagon can slide if you toss it around hard enough.

Just don't get a $1600 Subaru and expect it to be road trip ready. It's been like working on most other cheap cars so far.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Follow up on the Impala.
For those wondering, these are the rotors after putting two miles on them:

(Yes, that's a buttload of anti seize on it, I've spent way too much of my life trying to get off wheels that were stuck on sure to corrosion and given how my dad takes care of his cars I don't want to take any chances, don't give me poo poo about it.)

The brakes sound and feel fine (yay!).
The ABS and stability warnings did not go away, however.

I don't have a super fancy, shop scan tool. My Bluetooth ODBII reader didn't show anything.
I popped the wheel off and checked the resistance on the sensor side. It was at ~1.0-1.1 kOhms (I'm not sure what spec is, but that doesn't seem too far off).

I check the voltage on the vehicle side of the harness and it seemed ok ~4.8 V.

I'm not sure if the Impala requires a full drive cycle to reset that. A replacement hub/bearing/sensor assembly would only be about $60, give or take, so it would be more to take it in to get a diagnosis.

Any recommendations on the next step for fixing the ABS/stability alarm?

nadmonk fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 15, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If you don't want to guess.....

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AL619-Autolink-Automotive-Diagnostic/dp/B0091DJWV0/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=autel+scanner&qid=1579045993&sr=8-15

I've had this one for about 4 or 5 years and it's awesome. Haven't found anything else at the price point that covers ABS and SRS on so many cars. Upgrades nearly every year. The upgrade process is poo poo (you have to put the SD card in a PC and run a windows app, and it takes forever) but it works.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Motronic posted:

If you don't want to guess.....

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AL619-Autolink-Automotive-Diagnostic/dp/B0091DJWV0/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=autel+scanner&qid=1579045993&sr=8-15

I've had this one for about 4 or 5 years and it's awesome. Haven't found anything else at the price point that covers ABS and SRS on so many cars. Upgrades nearly every year. The upgrade process is poo poo (you have to put the SD card in a PC and run a windows app, and it takes forever) but it works.

That's awesome, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I think the sensors only need to go above around 15mph and if they're reading good, codes should disappear.