Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Toriyama's ability to just go eh gently caress it is still being studied by mangaka to this day. "How do you do it?" they cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

SirKibbles posted:

Toriyama's ability to just go eh gently caress it is still being studied by mangaka to this day. "How do you do it?" they cry.

It's also great for naval gazing fan theories. Like, I know that Toriyama didn't intend any of it, but invoking death of the author allows me to ponder theories like ki training being perception based as well as effort based and that part of the reason Goku is always ahead of Vegeta is because he drank the Ultra Divine Water back during the King Piccolo saga.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
More authors should be unafraid to answer fan theorycrafting with "Huh, I forgot about that!"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So like Vegeta was almost neck in neck with Goku before his yard rat training and now the chains have come off and he will now be considerably stronger or will Goku show up, be impressed at Vegeta's new strength and then go all oh hey I spent months training with an angel one on one so I’m still stronger than you

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Calaveron posted:

So like Vegeta was almost neck in neck with Goku before his yard rat training and now the chains have come off and he will now be considerably stronger or will Goku show up, be impressed at Vegeta's new strength and then go all oh hey I spent months training with an angel one on one so I’m still stronger than you

The general status quo of Super has been "Vegeta and Goku are about equal", but the reason for this is so that when Vegeta loses every major fight the audience will say "Oh no! How will Goku win if badguy could beat Vegeta so easily?????" except it happens literally every time.

I don't expect this to change.

Edit: Maybe they're setting up something that'll let Vegeta get closer to UI level sometimes, since that's the biggest power imbalance between them since Super started (depending how you view SSBKK, which I think was a Toei thing? It didn't seem to really be treated as a major power boost after its first appearance, but that's every transformation).

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 12, 2020

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
My computer is out for repairs so I'm counting on y'all to tell me if dbz Kakarot is good or not

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calaveron posted:

Depends on how Goku's own training went. The manga tried to heavily avoid showing it for obvious reasons - we're left wondering exactly just how much closer Goku is to Ultra Instinct. If he can bring in even Sign at will then Vegeta's training will still have him severely behind Goku, in fact, he'll be more behind than ever. But if that's not the case, who knows. Again, without knowing exactly what Goku gained from his training it's hard to gauge this, though the same goes for Vegeta since he's meant to get some new trick out of this beyond the power-up.

Zinkraptor posted:

The general status quo of Super has been "Vegeta and Goku are about equal", but the reason for this is so that when Vegeta loses every major fight the audience will say "Oh no! How will Goku win if badguy could beat Vegeta so easily?????" except it happens literally every time.

In fairness, the answer to that is usually "Goku loses too". The only time that didn't happen was against Golden Freeza and it was specifically because both were idiots and made the situation far worse than it needed to be.

quote:

Edit: Maybe they're setting up something that'll let Vegeta get closer to UI level sometimes, since that's the biggest power imbalance between them since Super started (depending how you view SSBKK, which I think was a Toei thing? It didn't seem to really be treated as a major power boost after its first appearance, but that's every transformation).

Every powered-up Blue is not from Toriyama's script. Seeing how we're specifically based on the manga here, the power-ups for Blue are Complete (for both, though this seems to have been completely discarded at this point) and the manga's version of Evolved (for Vegeta, which was used against Moro but only identified as the basic Blue for some reason). The Kaio-ken did appear in the manga though, only to get mocked as a lovely power-up because Toyotaro sometimes is really petty.

There's no doubt that UI is the biggest imbalance between Goku and Vegeta, but since Goku can't call it at will, they're basically equal. Evolved was said by official sources to be as strong as Goku's maximum Kaio-ken, and the manga seems to have put both at roughly the same level despite Vegeta having a power-up Goku doesn't. Though we'll see how this new training arch its that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It could be that Goku will keep bad goat man busy while Vegeta powers up a super beam

Somewhere piccolo sheds a quiet tear

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blaze Dragon posted:

the manga's version of Evolved (for Vegeta, which was used against Moro but only identified as the basic Blue for some reason).

That's not what happened he used Red then he used Blue.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Vegeta didn't job nearly as much in Super as he did in DBZ. Only people Vegeta went up against before Goku and lost is Goku Black and Hit.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
In my fanfic Vegeta always wins and Goku goes home to be a family man. But since he never had to learn humility through loss, Vegeta gets dumped by Bulma and moves in with Yamcha.

darkeshado
Feb 23, 2015
During the Tournament of Power Goku could only use Ultra Instinct for an extremely short time (the longest time he had it was for two minutes in the fight against Kefla) and he was pretty drained afterwards so unless he has increased the time he can use the form dramatically I think those detriments help balance things out between him and Vegeta. Honestly given that it was built up as basically the pinnacle of all fighting styles I hope Ultra Instinct does keep a shortish time limit with Goku slowly getting more and more time rather than introducing "Ultra Instinct 2" or something else supposedly better that would devalue it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's not what happened he used Red then he used Blue.

Again, the manga never points it out, but Vegeta is clearly using the manga version of Evolved during his fight against Moro. The aura is the key there - it's the only difference between both in the manga (technically, he also has the darker blue hair of the anime, but that's kind of hard to see in black and white), the muscle increase is anime-only.

Admittedly, it's also completely possible that Toyotaro messed up and drew the wrong aura, it wouldn't be the first time he contradicts himself.

darkeshado posted:

During the Tournament of Power Goku could only use Ultra Instinct for an extremely short time (the longest time he had it was for two minutes in the fight against Kefla) and he was pretty drained afterwards so unless he has increased the time he can use the form dramatically I think those detriments help balance things out between him and Vegeta. Honestly given that it was built up as basically the pinnacle of all fighting styles I hope Ultra Instinct does keep a shortish time limit with Goku slowly getting more and more time rather than introducing "Ultra Instinct 2" or something else supposedly better that would devalue it.

I don't think we'll get an UI2 or anything like that, considering UI is still considered a basically invincible super form. Instead of that, Goku should (and likely, will) focus on two fronts there: being able to call it at will (which was the point of his training with Merus) and being able to keep it up for longer without exploding his back afterwards (though the latter part is anime-only so this is unlikely to matter here). Remember that what we see with Goku is only a fraction of what UI can do - the Angels have it up at all times and don't get tired or hurt at all.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOvStTnWD3o

This is the worst timeline, why does this continue?

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 13, 2020

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Blaze Dragon posted:

EDIT:

At this point we might as well lean into it. With any luck our reality will collapse on itself, forcing a reboot.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
BIRD THAT HOLDS A DESTINY

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Hell yeah, it's Bojack's time to shine!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
As long as they’re bringing it back, put Android 21 in it you cowards

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this show is yamamuro’s sisyphean punishment for his defeat at the hands of shintani
he must endlessly push a boulder labeled “100% full power super saiyan 3+4 god super saiyan majin brogetarot (omen)“ up a cliff

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 13, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Again, the manga never points it out, but Vegeta is clearly using the manga version of Evolved during his fight against Moro. The aura is the key there - it's the only difference between both in the manga (technically, he also has the darker blue hair of the anime, but that's kind of hard to see in black and white), the muscle increase is anime-only.

Admittedly, it's also completely possible that Toyotaro messed up and drew the wrong aura, it wouldn't be the first time he contradicts himself.

I don't think we'll get an UI2 or anything like that, considering UI is still considered a basically invincible super form. Instead of that, Goku should (and likely, will) focus on two fronts there: being able to call it at will (which was the point of his training with Merus) and being able to keep it up for longer without exploding his back afterwards (though the latter part is anime-only so this is unlikely to matter here). Remember that what we see with Goku is only a fraction of what UI can do - the Angels have it up at all times and don't get tired or hurt at all.

EDIT:

Does Vegeta have uguu anime eyes? If not it don't matter WHAT aura he has

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

Does Vegeta have uguu anime eyes? If not it don't matter WHAT aura he has

While I get your point, that's also exclusive to the anime. The manga Evolved is far more boring.

Here's a good comparison between both:

Normal:
Evolved:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

...Vegeta gets dumped by Bulma and moves in with Yamcha.

you had my curiosity but now you have my attention

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The launch trailer for Kakarot is perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf85wwJuFBE

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

The game is going to be dubbed, right? Not complaining, that's a great trailer.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blockhouse posted:

God drat it if that scene, and specifically the "You're number one" doesn't get to me every time.

I want Ryo Horikawa to read my eulogy. In Japanese, I don't care.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

New Leaf posted:

The game is going to be dubbed, right? Not complaining, that's a great trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd2OozXaxzQ

Yea its dubbed. This is the same trailer but dubbed.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Wish it was on switch so I could play it with my kids.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Faustian Bargain posted:

Wish it was on switch so I could play it with my kids.

Same though no kids here, only want to play it myself and PS4 games have become prohibitively expensive in my country.

It doesn't seem particularly graphically intensive so I'm not sure why it isn't, especially being multi-platform on everything but Switch.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Same though no kids here, only want to play it myself and PS4 games have become prohibitively expensive in my country.

It doesn't seem particularly graphically intensive so I'm not sure why it isn't, especially being multi-platform on everything but Switch.

FighterZ started off as XB1/PS4 exclusive and eventually made its way over. Same with Xenoverse 2. I'm sure we'll get it on Switch eventually, especially considering the huge user base the Switch has compared to freaking Xbox.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd2OozXaxzQ

Yea its dubbed. This is the same trailer but dubbed.

Bit of mouth movement jank on the "You are number one" but otherwise I love the read. I love how in tune Sabat and Schemmel are with their characters.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So far only one review has come up, and well... janky camera, maps are bland visually, side-quests are all just "bring me bear asses", combat is too simple... I still plan on playing this game because the idea of chilling with Goku and friends is all I need to have a good time, but expectations should be tempered a bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

So far only one review has come up, and well... janky camera, maps are bland visually, side-quests are all just "bring me bear asses", combat is too simple... I still plan on playing this game because the idea of chilling with Goku and friends is all I need to have a good time, but expectations should be tempered a bit.

I got my review copy a few days ago and my feeling on it is this:

It's a fun Dragonball game if the parts of Dragonball you like are not just the fights but the goofy in-between poo poo. If you wanted to know what Puar was up to while Yamcha was dead or see Master Roshi and Oolong team up to win a mecha race then it will probably be entirely your poo poo. If you don't then it won't.

The combat is simple and repetitive but occasionally shines really hard in the 'big' fights where things feel good. The mook fights are boring and repetitive. Most of the side content is pretty basic. It's a very wide but shallow game. The fun of it comes from flying around Dragonball locations and seeing Dragonball characters have fun interactions. As far as a game goes it's strictly average at best.

That said the standard for Dragonball games is pretty low and Kakarot is probably somewhere around the better parts of Xenoverse tier but without the fun of create-a-character. It honestly feels like a game made to aim at nostalgia more than anything else, including a loooot of callbacks to the original Dragonball.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://twitter.com/DBReduxTDC/status/1217971564429414402?s=19

Roshi is now stronger than Piccolo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think that'd be less that and more that Piccolo is craftier than Roshi and could just pretend the Moon was destroyed, thus not risking the Earth not having a Moon afterwards.

...Which, of course, makes no goddamn sense because the Earth not having a Moon is a critical plot point during the fight against Vegeta, so I really don't get this one.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

You mean he always was. :colbert:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nanigans posted:

FighterZ started off as XB1/PS4 exclusive and eventually made its way over. Same with Xenoverse 2. I'm sure we'll get it on Switch eventually, especially considering the huge user base the Switch has compared to freaking Xbox.

This.

I mean, they ported Witcher 3 to Switch. Nintendo knows what's up, as do devs. It just takes a little extra time.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don't think the cc2 kakarot devs read that tweet

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

This gives me the mental image of Vegeta just crit-failing his... I dunno spot check so hard he thinks the moon isn't there. Which is admittedly a funny one.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Namtab posted:

I don't think the cc2 kakarot devs read that tweet

It scares me that you might be right, Namtab.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think that'd be less that and more that Piccolo is craftier than Roshi and could just pretend the Moon was destroyed, thus not risking the Earth not having a Moon afterwards.

...Which, of course, makes no goddamn sense because the Earth not having a Moon is a critical plot point during the fight against Vegeta, so I really don't get this one.

Piccolo has clothes beam. Is it really that far of a stretch to accept he has conceal beam? Just wrap the moon in an illusion so it's still there but hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Isn't there some anime filler where the moon that turns Gohan into a great ape is a projection from Goku's old Saiyan pod?