Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What's the consensus on this line? Was he making a masturbation joke, or referencing him going to beat the loving gently caress out of Murtrey? I've heard lots of proponents for both.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Kazinsal posted:

First one, then the other.

yeah but in what order

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oh its absolutely about beating the poo poo out of him.

pretty sure its in the book too

My favorite Amos line was him talking to Murtry and murtry is like "i think we are going to come to blood" and Amos says "How about now? Im free right now."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

SpookyLizard posted:

Oh its absolutely about beating the poo poo out of him.

pretty sure its in the book too

My favorite Amos line was him talking to Murtry and murtry is like "i think we are going to come to blood" and Amos says "How about now? Im free right now."

That was supposed to be Murtry's first clue that Amos was a level of sociopath more than he could deal with. Don't gently caress with this guy, because he's bright-eyed and eager to just beat you to death here in the middle of this bar with everyone watching. I thought that scene at the end was a great little conclusion, they acted the hell out of the sick joy Amos felt when Murtry punched him, and Murtry's subtle "oh gently caress" when he sees the look in his eyes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phenotype posted:

That was supposed to be Murtry's first clue that Amos was a level of sociopath more than he could deal with. Don't gently caress with this guy, because he's bright-eyed and eager to just beat you to death here in the middle of this bar with everyone watching. I thought that scene at the end was a great little conclusion, they acted the hell out of the sick joy Amos felt when Murtry punched him, and Murtry's subtle "oh gently caress" when he sees the look in his eyes.

Wes Chatham does the crazy eye things really well before he flips out and goes into beast mode.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I disagree with this season being boring.

I will agree though that the pacing changed. The Expanse has three story arcs covering books 1-3, 4-6, and 7-9. This season begins that second story arc, and so is paced more like an introduction, at least until everything goes haywire. And coming right off the back half of season three, which was an insane pace and tense as poo poo, it's even more noticeable that things slowed down a bit and were allowed to breathe.

I don't think any of that is synonymous with boring, but I'm not the type to see a show do ten minutes of character work and start shouting gently caress ALL THIS FILLER on the internet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I loved this season. Definitely a different pace but it felt higher quality. I can't wait for season 5, I've seen some social media posts that they've started filming it!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They're well into filming. Thomas Jane posted he was editing the episode he directed already.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I don't recall anyone in this thread saying that the new season as a whole is boring. People, myself included, have put for the opinion that certain storylines were boring. Christian's in particular felt quite amateur and convoluted. Like she was legitimately mad about having to do the most basic political poo poo like "prep for a debate" or "have consultants". Her losing the election was so telegraphed from the beginning that there was zero tension in her thread.

Not saying it was awful, just that it was far weaker than the other storylines.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Holden is a level or two of civilized above Murtry, "You should havr waited for me to build a loving post office", buy Amos is almost raw reptile brain violence. Amos wouldve been right at home beating someone to death with a jawbone.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

And coming right off the back half of season three, which was an insane pace and tense as poo poo,

Am I alone in thinking the back half of S3 could have used about two or three more episodes of breathing room? I understand the goal was for a cancelled show to finish an entire book instead of leaving a huge cliffhanger as a legacy, but it very much felt rushed to me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've thought about it and never been able to decide. I miss the massive amount of stuff that was cut out, but man those episodes are a ride. If I had to choose I'd leave it the way it is, since I already had the book for the depth I'm not personally missing anything.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I am also conflicted. When I first blitzed through the series, I was getting into it after hearing about the whole cancellation kerfuffle. Pretty sure the first episode I caught on its air date instead of binging was 308 (jesus having to wait a week for that resolution for the first time was agonizing). Season 3 as a whole was a hell of a ride, and I was crazy about how breathless and constantly escalating it was. Then, I read the books while waiting for season 4 and I became a little unsure of just how quick the first trilogy got chewed through. I kind of pine for a universe where we got 20+ episode seasons like a star trek where all the detail of the books was allowed to shine through because holy moly even the "slow" episodes back in season 1 had the pedal to the metal in terms of plot progression. I feel like the relative freedom the Amazon switch has provided has given us a bit of a slower pace going forward, which I largely like. It's inherently going to feel different compared to the SyFy days though. Maybe if they try to cram book 5 plus some of book 6 into 10 episodes next season we'll get back to that same fever pitch, but I kinda hope that they don't.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I sorta get the complaints about S4 because they're kind of rebuilding stakes after a universe-changing event and so much of it takes place in one, well, place, with a relatively small amount of people. I was dubious about it for a few episodes myself. S1-S3 made such a ride and I honestly would've felt satisfied had they never gotten to make more Expanse (though I'm super happy they did!). Gradually I started getting more emotionally invested in S4 again, and it had a few pretty gripping moments.

On a different note, Amos is such a fascinating character. Someone seemingly without a moral center, but just enough morality that he wants to take care of kids and constantly looks for someone to attach himself to so they can be his compass, and he can protect them.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Amos is a monster, but he's your monster if he's on your side.

There is a short discussion in the books about Amos being Holden's hired killer that I really hope makes it into the next season.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 12, 2020

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Grand Fromage posted:

shouting gently caress ALL THIS FILLER on the internet.

This is pretty much the chillest fan thread on the whole forum, no one is doing that in here? The thread for the current Star Wars movie is a roiling morass of bullshit; the thread for The Mandalorian is so relentlessly positive I haven’t been able to summon the courage to make a single post for fear of the ‘goons hate good things’ label being slapped on me. The criticism in this thread is almost universally measured, qualified, and respectful of the material.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
For me is not that it was boring, but it was kinda bland, and the writing was weak.

Christjen plot could have been very good, I always loved the political and scheming parts. But it just wanst: it was all silly, predictable, and her lines were terrible. For me it seems like some marketing guy found out that the internet liked her cursing and smartass retorts and decided to tune it up to 9999, which made her a cringey caricature of what her character were

On the planet, the numerous "wow look at this thing the protomolecule tech is doing! its breaking all the laws of physics!" moments didint worked much for me. On the first seasons I actually felt the same wonder and terror the characters felt when Eros moved, or when that ship was disassembled in air, etc. Now it was kinda "oh, it shoots lighting now. ok"

Also there was interesting little things like the bugs and the slugs that were just dropped and it was disapponting

And there was the "legend of gin alley" dude whose character could be good but that guy apparently cant do anything but childish cartoon vilains and it was bad

And finally, Steven Strait acting seems to have gotten worse, which is quite a feat

Apart from that, I liked the Mars plot, and the belters plot. It wanst bad, just kinda average

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

When I rewatched the show I was kind of surprised with how much setup and how little payoff there was in season one. The highlights are for the most part the destruction of the 'cant, the battle of the Donnager, and the irradiation of Eros. Most of the 'big stuff' happened in season two and three and we only really start figuring out Protogen and the protomolecule in season 2.

I think and hope that season 4's pace is similarly a lot of setup and foreshadowing that will pay off bigly in season 5. We still don't know what the eye of sauron thing is, nor the consequences of Miller's action, the imminent OPA attack on earth needs to be resolved and god only knows how events will unfold when/if the new president shuts down the blockade and the rush for new settlements really takes off (which she almost certainly will given her platform).

double nine fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 12, 2020

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I havent read any of the books, but Ive widely heard that Book 4 is generally the weakest and that Book 5 is one of the best so there are good things to come.

I personally did not like S4, but it was still so much better than any other sci-fi show I have seen, to the point that I tried to watch S2 of Lost in Space and I couldnt.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I was never bored watching Season 4, not at all. I just missed the pacing of the previous seasons. Also the slugs felt really arbitrary. But overall, another excellent season of an excellent show! It feels nice having a sci-fi show to nerd out with, I haven't felt this engaged in anything since Farscape! Feels like a lifetime ago...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I was never bored watching Season 4, not at all. I just missed the pacing of the previous seasons. Also the slugs felt really arbitrary. But overall, another excellent season of an excellent show! It feels nice having a sci-fi show to nerd out with, I haven't felt this engaged in anything since Farscape! Feels like a lifetime ago...

Plus it feels really big budget especially for how it got hash more the world like life in the glorious mars culture.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think the 'problem' is that Season 4 took some time to do some worldbuilding, and both Mars and Earth plot lines felt like preludes to whatever main story they're pursuing. Meanwhile everything on Ilus has a pretty clear arc and satisfying conclusion. Within the scope of a season it feels a bit unsatisfying but maybe the next season will deliver a payoff to the Martian and Earth politics.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, the Earth and Mars stuff were pretty clearly setting up stories for later and building the setting, and viewing them through the same lens as the main story arc or previous seasons isn't really fair.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Season 4 and Season 1 are very similar in that they let you see a lot of pieces being moved around, but their true purpose and the scale of their impact cannot be clearly seen until they are shown to you in the following season. We know the show's writers are working faithfully from a near completed book series, so there are many opportunities to show what appear at first to be filler scenes until you see where they have led.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, I don't get the impression people have been saying the show is getting bad or anything. Just half this season was setup and the other half was an isolated story, so it hasn't had the same punch as other seasons. It's totally fair to say you don't like this season as much as some of the others, but presumably other future seasons where things do come to a bigger climax will be better having set all this stuff up.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I can totally see where people are coming from as to how seasons 4 is a bit of a step down from seasons 2 and 3 but personally I didn't mind it. I enjoyed the pace and the setting up of the new scenarios. Knowing they have a plan makes me patient and willing to see it build off and pay off like how from season 1 to 2 did. I have faith the next season will be excellent and faster paced than this previous one as the story unfolds/ramps up again.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Season 3 was, like, two seasons in one. They did an amazing job shoving so much into one season, but I do not want that kind of desperation in my writing when not strictly necessary.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Seasons 2 and 3 covered 2.5 books between them. season 4 is one book and novella. 4 is by no means bad, but its a nit of lull coming from season 3, which was drat near perfect.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, the Earth and Mars stuff were pretty clearly setting up stories for later and building the setting, and viewing them through the same lens as the main story arc or previous seasons isn't really fair.

Like other posters have said, it's not about it being fair, it's more about Avarasala's part of the season being badly written. She makes some really obvious political mistakes, and her swearing feels like there's a few writers who like it far too much.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SpookyLizard posted:

Seasons 2 and 3 covered 2.5 books between them. season 4 is one book and novella. 4 is by no means bad, but its a nit of lull coming from season 3, which was drat near perfect.

There's no way you can sustain that kind of escalating crisis mode build-up without leading to either a runaway snowball of hype that will never deliver or a climax from which the series will never recover. (or if you're the GoT writers somehow pull off both at once :psypop: ) I'm glad the Expanse crew managed to pull back and establish a more reasonable ebb and flow that can see them through the rest of the series.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

kanonvandekempen posted:

Like other posters have said, it's not about it being fair, it's more about Avarasala's part of the season being badly written. She makes some really obvious political mistakes, and her swearing feels like there's a few writers who like it far too much.

I think a big problem with Avasarala's story this season is just that she doesn't have any good characters to bounce off of. I really didn't care for the Arjun recast, Nancy Gao was pretty bad, and who cares about her campaign staff. Most of her best moments throughout the series so far have been across from Errinwright or Cotyar or Bobbie, not just monologuing at background characters or a hand terminal

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I've said it before but the Arjun recast is awful. I thought he was Cotyar back from the dead actually.

Having read the second book, I really think the first guy fits the character more. Arjun is supposed to be quiet and grandfatherly.

Avasarala's plot was pretty bad this season. I didn't much care for Bobbie's but it was better than the novella they loosely based it on.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah Arjun was fuckin bad, for sure. The point of Avasrala not having any good characters to play off of is a very good point too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

This is all intentional, by the way. The books make it more clear that Avasarala is a terrible politician. She set herself up to be the behind the scenes string puller for a reason, and when she's pushed to the foreground she's bad at it. She doesn't really want to be secretary general or any elected office, she just runs for it because she feels obligated. She'd much rather be in her old position.

She also swears way, way less in the show, even this season.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Grand Fromage posted:

This is all intentional, by the way. The books make it more clear that Avasarala is a terrible politician. She set herself up to be the behind the scenes string puller for a reason, and when she's pushed to the foreground she's bad at it. She doesn't really want to be secretary general or any elected office, she just runs for it because she feels obligated. She'd much rather be in her old position.

I just finished Caliban's War and Avasarala catching herself swearing in front of Mei is extremely my parenting style.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Hey.

If you haven't, you should really watch The Wire. It's the greatest TV show of all time.

Also, play Disco Elysium.

I was just thinking the same thing. Hive mind confirmed.

Also, to fulfill the hive mind contrarian criteria, I think the Mars plot was the best part of this season and would have loved if the whole season was Mars, with a cut at the start of Holden and co. leaving for the ring gate, and at the end with a record-scratch-bet-youre-wondering-how-we-got-here moment where they're all sitting huddled in the dark with green eyes.

I'm only slightly exaggerating. I'm very interested how the borderline fascistic Martian society is handling The Enemy no longer being there and their place in the universe completely upended.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I was just thinking the same thing. Hive mind confirmed.

Also, to fulfill the hive mind contrarian criteria, I think the Mars plot was the best part of this season and would have loved if the whole season was Mars, with a cut at the start of Holden and co. leaving for the ring gate, and at the end with a record-scratch-bet-youre-wondering-how-we-got-here moment where they're all sitting huddled in the dark with green eyes.

I'm only slightly exaggerating. I'm very interested how the borderline fascistic Martian society is handling The Enemy no longer being there and their place in the universe completely upended.

Yeah, I thought the Mars plot was by far and away the strongest and most unexpected of the plots. The way the season changes your perspective on the characters is much more enjoyable than the Illus thing, where you basically know exactly how it's going to shake down, character wise, about two episodes in. At that point it's just shuffling things around.

Not that the Illus plot was bad -- I think this was one of the better seasons tbh -- but most of the drama comes from outside stuff. Like, it's cool that it starts out as a Western that morphs into a survival narrative, but by the time you get to the ancient mega structure it's basically just Temple of Doom -- the characters being forced to just react to the nuclear explosions and acid slugs and, look, if there had been a boulder trap it would have been entirely unexpected. Love the genre play, but it's not really character based.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I feel like I'm the only person that caught onto this and I haven't read the books. She clearly has no patience for leadership or ability to tolerate the kind of social maneuvering that formal politics requires, she'd much rather be setting up the dominos than dealing with the mess when they tip over.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

McSpanky posted:

I feel like I'm the only person that caught onto this and I haven't read the books. She clearly has no patience for leadership or ability to tolerate the kind of social maneuvering that formal politics requires, she'd much rather be setting up the dominos than dealing with the mess when they tip over.

Yeah, I picked it up too. She wasnt elected into her job, and her entire agenda is "keep people from getting killed by aliens, who cares about other poo poo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I think it also hurts a bit that Shohreh Aghdashloo is really good and Nancy Gao's actress is not. I dunno what was up with that, I haven't seen her in anything else so I don't know if she just always seems like she's woodenly reading a cue card off screen or she was directed poorly.