Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Craptacular! posted:

Rules of Engagement: Another crew-on-trial episode. This one's kind of odd because the Klingon prosecutor's evidence relies on stereotyping Klingons. Like all of this rests upon intent, and so half of his time is spent on character assassination stuff that presupposes a bigoted, Archie Bunker kind of mentality on what Klingons are like.

Yeah, the Klingon lawyer's argument is pretty goofy when you think about it: "Worf committed war crimes because, like all Klingons, he doesn't care about anything but victory! That's why we, the Klingons, want to see him tried for his horrible war crimes that we find abhorrent!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Cheaper way of experiencing old Trek the way it used to be is watching the reruns on Heroes & Icons, which is usually an OTA station living in the standard definition subchannels of the major networks. Given how heavily compressed those signals are, there may be even more artifacts than there were in the 90s given how you got your TV.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

12 Monkeys was amazing and that is great news, but holy poo poo,

bull3964 posted:

What is it with star trek not holding on to show runners?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

After Voyager they should of given the Trek franchise a 5 to 10 year break. Allow for new producers, new creative forces but sadly they worked the horse until the core foundation of what Trek was became lost.

Doctor Who's 20 year hiatus did wonders for it, someone needed to recognize that for Trek.

lol if you're using Doctor Who as a positive example. I guess it's a success in that it is still going, but...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Page 1701! :toot:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Has anyone else noticed what page number it is?

efb

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
D lightful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, the Klingon lawyer's argument is pretty goofy when you think about it: "Worf committed war crimes because, like all Klingons, he doesn't care about anything but victory! That's why we, the Klingons, want to see him tried for his horrible war crimes that we find abhorrent!"

I thought it was a pretty lawyerly thing though; the Empire believes in those stereotypes being good things, but is also aware of the Federation's stance on these things, and so wants to use their own scruples against them to eliminate one of the biggest thorns in their side.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

No bloody A, B, C, D, or E!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Deanna crash the thread ! !

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

An donnae ye even get started on the n or x

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HD DAD posted:

Deanna crash the thread ! !

I've said before but I think Troi's record on crashing the Enterprise is a bit unfair given she's so far down on the chain of command that any time she has to assume command it pretty much has to imply some serious poo poo is going down

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

postin' from cetacean ops

I am not surprised Chabon moved on, he's a successful novelist and I didn't think he was about to drop that for TV. I figured Picard was a single season deal for him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Grand Fromage posted:

postin' from cetacean ops

I am not surprised Chabon moved on, he's a successful novelist and I didn't think he was about to drop that for TV. I figured Picard was a single season deal for him.

:agreed:

Plus he just inked a related deal to turn Kavalier & Clay into a series for Showtime and I’m very okay with trading a Chabon-led season 2 for that.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Showtime is also a ViacomCBS property, so the company must have been impressed by his work.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Posting on the Enterpage

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've said before but I think Troi's record on crashing the Enterprise is a bit unfair given she's so far down on the chain of command that any time she has to assume command it pretty much has to imply some serious poo poo is going down

Well yeah one time was deliberate ramming speed and the other the helm was literally offline.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

That's sort of hitting on one of the seams between TOS and TNG. Most of the "warrior race" stuff about Klingons was only developed with TNG, and back in the original series they were just a marginally more aggressive version of humans, which could've easily just been more from politics than from culture.

I like to think that they fell more into barbarism in the gap between the two series, since the movies did show them being devastated by both natural(?) disasters and infighting, and by the time of TNG, Klingon fundamentalism has taken hold, to which Worf is a major subscriber, whereas within the Klingon empire, there's still extensive legal proceedings.

Of course, that's probably contradicted by the prequel series, since they just wanted to play with all the toys that the franchise had set up rather than restrict themselves to setting up the original series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kind of a theme is that Worf knows Klingon culture out of books, not from real-life experience, and there's some culture clashes within the Empire hinted on in the show; Martok's career was stalled because he was denied entry to the officer's school for being of common origin rather than noble birth, the geezer Klingons lament how their culture has changed and there's Klingons opening restaurants in Federation-controlled space, and the warlike turn in DS9 is implied to be a reactionary flare up. And Klingons are pretty keen on rewriting their own history to suit current values.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hi Star Trek thread

k bye

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That makes Riker look like Lincoln without his hat

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

It also makes Picard look like Clint Howard.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Page 1701 should be hauling garbage, imo.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

The_Doctor posted:

Page 1701! :toot:

gently caress, you beat me to it.

Of course on this topic I almost wanted to punch the screen on the "N.. C... C... 1... 7..." thing on season 1 of DISCO

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CPColin posted:

*SCOTTY GASP*

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CPColin posted:

Laddie. Don't ye think ye should rephrase that?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Laddie. Don't ye think ye should rephrase that?

Sorry, I meant page 1701 should be hauled away as garbage!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Come to think of it, missed opportunity to have Alexander meet Jake and Nog.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
The Antics would have been too powerful.

Much like this page.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Star Trek is at its best when it's optimistic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“Here’s tonight’s worksheet.”
“Oh great, two more candle sex ghosts.”

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Insane Totoro posted:

Star Trek is at its best when it's optimistic.

This is probably true, but man I love it when it gets twilight zoney or body horror. TOS did it a fair bit. Or in TNG when that bug alien infests the top dudes of Starfleet, and Picard and Riker explode his head like some Scanners poo poo, man, so good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Origami Dali posted:

This is probably true, but man I love it when it gets twilight zoney or body horror. TOS did it a fair bit. Or in TNG when that bug alien infests the top dudes of Starfleet, and Picard and Riker explode his head like some Scanners poo poo, man, so good.
Those episodes also rule. Really it is the episodes in the genre of "everyone's a brutal rear end in a top hat and only through the wargrizzling of covert military operations can we maintain the lie that people ever do anything other than thinly veiled allegories for terrorism in the middle east." That subgenre we can do without.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Thus far only Law and Order does RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES well and it's almost played for laughs.

Can you imagine if TNG did an episode where Wesley leads Gamergate and Lieutenant Ice'T of the Klingon Special Victims Unit has to track him down?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

Can you imagine if TNG did an episode where Wesley leads Gamergate and Lieutenant Ice'T of the Klingon Special Victims Unit has to track him down?

“You mean to tell me this guy gets off on targs?”

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I believe the TOS remasters did alright for the studio, but it was a very different thing to the TNG ones. Please correct me if I have the details wrong:

TOS had the effects composited onto the film itself (and I'm not sure the raw footage still exists), so all that needed to be done was rescan the masters in HD resolution and crank out some lovely CGI for the space scenes. There's also less than half the episodes compared with TNG. IIRC it was pretty cheap and fast. Same thing with TAS I believe - it's all on film so rescanning to HD is really easy.

For TNG, all the raw footage was on film including effects, but the compositing was done on VHS so it all needed to be redone from scratch. They also corrected colour balances and that kind of thing in the first couple of seasons. It was much more involved and lengthy than TOS, and therefore much more expensive too. You'd have to do the same thing for DS9 and Voyager so that's another reason why I wouldn't expect HD DS9 or Voyager any time soon - it's way too much work for what the studio would likely get out of it.

It's the other way around. For TOS the only thing they had left in a usable state was the filmreels that came out of the cameras from on set. When they scanned in the composited effects stuff it looked blurry and dirty because the process of compositing it the old fashioned way nessicarily means that the final result is a degraded Nth generation copy. You couldn't see that picking up blurry analogue tv but it was always there, and it looked really bad.

It's made worse because the best copies anyone has are in the finished episodes, a lot of the effects reels turned out to either be damaged (see the TOS enterprise in that discovery opening) or missing entirely. It's not just the ship models they replaced but every single visual effect in every shot, in every scene of every episode. From scratch. And I do mean everything, even files pulled up on computer monitors or the starfield on the viewscreen. There was no choice in this at all, they either redid the entire post production or they couldn't do a remaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNKg3eA2ReU

Where TOS-R got lucky is that it's supposed to look as lovely as people remembered it looking, so they weren't exactly spending pixar money remaking all of the effects. But the quality of the work is very uneven. In comparison TNG got their A game.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 13, 2020

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Came here for the page number, found a fun remix

The_Doctor posted:

Does this thing shoot out a beam from an unlicensed nuclear accelerator onboard instead of a phaser?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nullsmack posted:

Came here for the page number, found a fun remix

Does this thing shoot out a beam from an unlicensed nuclear accelerator onboard instead of a phaser?

Unlicensed Warp Core :v:

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

The_Doctor posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was in a theater yesterday and i saw that Rosalind Chao is in the new Mulan live-action remake

Good for her getting those Disney Dollars