Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Even if D2WO4 doesn't catch on with you, everyone should go read Fun Home. It was one of those I blitzed through in a day, woke up the next morning and read cover to cover again. Highly recommended.

The follow-up about her mom, not so much, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

In my headcannon they're reading Fist of the North Star.

Also Wallace continues to be a treasure.

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (May 19, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 4-5, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby (Jan 8-9, 2015)

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 13, 2020

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

rip hat

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Dustin Viivi & Wagner

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Regarding this Mary Worth storyline, Iris’ first doctor may seem like a loving rear end in a top hat who should have done his job, but my wife also developed Hashimoto’s and it took like well over a year and a significant/memorable incident for us to actually realize it was something we should check out and get treated.

Also that first doctor was an rear end in a top hat who should be booted from his field.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kennel posted:

1997 Dustin Viivi & Wagner

Compulsive comic editing disorder.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Some Guy TT posted:

That was me. Bechdel addresses this in one of the later ones with an in-character segment where the characters are contrasting whether they're better off being represented by obnoxious radical dykes that are true to life or more obviously sympathetic mainstream lesbians that are palatable to straights. This whole philosophical aspect of the strip dates it very weirdly, since by the time Dykes to Watch Out For was finished the latter argument had basically won, but as we're seeing today it's starting to feel like maybe they shouldn't have. I think part of why Bechdel trailed off and gave up writing it was because her characters didn't really have any purpose anymore, forced to live in a modern lgbt culture that was everything they had fought against. None of this context necessarily makes Dykes to Watch Out For any more readable, although it might help some of you get a better idea of where Bechdel was coming from.

On a less aesthetic note my Dykes to Watch Out For strips were very crudely collected from the Internet Archive off of now-defunct sites that used to host them, resulting in many obnoxiously large gaps in between comics. So if something happens that you don't remember seeing, there's a very good chance you never actually saw it in the first place. Kudos to Archyduchess for actually going with a proper distribution method this time. We all appreciate the effort.

Yeah, the narrative strips in particular play this up a ton with the main character, Mo, especially, who tends to flip out whenever one of her friends does something that strikes her as a concession to the establishment. She's a huge rear end in a top hat during the wedding story, for example, but she also acts as a mouthpiece for some good points when there's stuff about the increasing visibility of Log Cabin Republicans or the commodification of pride marches and such.

IIRC she's has the most irritating and dated reactions when trans characters begin to be introduced-- she's definitely kind of a proxy for Bechdel but she's a deliberately exaggerated and distorted one, like Roberta Gregory's Bitchy Bitch. None of this makes her any more or less appealing to actually read about but there's some context. The strip begins at a moment where queerness is still firmly in the realm of the countercultural and effaced (the intro comic to The Essential DtWOF includes the infamous 1981 NYT headline calling AIDS "a rare cancer seen in 41 homosexuals"), and takes a clear stance as that begins to change. So there's a real polemic element undercutting the social satire of a very insular world that sometimes reads as at cross purposes.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 13, 2020

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Zip

Rip

Dick

Duck

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How quaint

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Classic Working Daze

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You sick person.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy is...ah...hmm. Yeah I can't really defend this one.

(I looked ahead, this is the worst it gets about this.)

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

alan keyes?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Being trapped on the same island with a naked, furious Modesty Blaise is probably* not the worst way to die.

*conditional because I still have very little experience of dying

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

God Kelly is so bad at his loving job. If you put it on the 3rd it would have been a decent "Dustin is Lazy" joke, but you waited for two weekends to to come and go so now it's just a lovely boomer comic.

Also like, you know his dad would throw a FIT if he had to work even a single Saturday.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
While hunting for Staton/Curtis' Tracy fanfic(did you think I was joking?), I stumbled on these Minit Mysteries from the 50s. Enjoy:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

I beg your pardon

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
December 20th + 22nd, 1980 (there was no listing for the 21st, I'll check the physical books later and edit it in if there is one)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I think it's that Bloom County doesn't have any Sunday strips until May 10th, 1981.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Bongo Bill posted:

I beg your pardon

It's clumsy (and probably grammatically wrong because I followed the original structure too closely), but I was in a hurry and couldn't come up with better phrasing.

I guess the better translation would be: "if the moose had been polite enough to get shot." (it's an intentionally humorous sentence)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 13, 2020

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Darthemed posted:

I think it's that Bloom County doesn't have any Sunday strips until May 10th, 1981.

I think it might just be that there's not always a Sunday strip. We had one on the 14th

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Dykes to Watch Out For (still 1986)

Barnaby (May 2nd-May 7th, 1942)

The OCD here is the Office of Civilian Defense, established in 1941 and dissolved in 1945. At its peak it "employed" over 11 million volunteers, including children, and the office covered all sorts of stuff from air raid drills to fire-fighting and organizing scrap drives. Wartime civic service remains a prominent part of this strip throughout Johnson's run.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 24, 2020

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kennel posted:

It's clumsy (and probably grammatically wrong because I followed the original structure too closely), but I was in a hurry and couldn't come up with better phrasing.

I guess the better translation would be: "if the moose had been polite enough to get shot." (it's an intentionally humorous sentence)

I think replacing "themselves" with "them" at the end would do the trick. It changes who exactly is being shot.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Bongo Bill posted:

I think replacing "themselves" with "them" at the end would do the trick. It changes who exactly is being shot.

Yeah, in hindsight, that's pretty obvious.

Thanks for the input btw. I guess people don't usually bother nitpicking about internet post grammar, but unfortunately it means that my skills aren't improving very quickly.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kennel posted:

Yeah, in hindsight, that's pretty obvious.

Thanks for the input btw. I guess people don't usually bother nitpicking about internet post grammar, but unfortunately it means that my skills aren't improving very quickly.

You're doing a great job here and I appreciate it - I'm really enjoying getting to read the strip. If you'd like, I can continue to offer suggestions as needed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kennel posted:

Your translations are excellent, by and large.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Deep into the tenth Bad Machinery case, my preoccupations are fairly well defined, sewage and sewers chief among them. What's going on down there? Enquiring minds... want to know.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 27, 1937)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Savidudeosoo posted:

God Kelly is so bad at his loving job. If you put it on the 3rd it would have been a decent "Dustin is Lazy" joke, but you waited for two weekends to to come and go so now it's just a lovely boomer comic.

Also like, you know his dad would throw a FIT if he had to work even a single Saturday.

Or New Years' Day, which was a Wednesday.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 27, 1937)

These are really amazing and special, thank you for posting them

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Had to read this twice:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Got to love how the colorist didn't notice the "A few days later" or that they're wearing totally different shirts now. :bravo:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Transmodiar posted:

Classic Working Daze

How dare you

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Archyduchess posted:

Barnaby (May 2nd-May 7th, 1942)

I remember the last time it was posted, it's nice to see it again.

But I'm just never able to get over just how perfectly clean the entire thing is drawn.
Just the constant, near perfect linework that makes it seem like a cut-and-paste vector based comic from this century.
Despite being a generation prior, and the product of a -lot- of work and skill, I assume.

It's vaguely eerie in a way I just can't really express.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

SubNat posted:

I remember the last time it was posted, it's nice to see it again.

But I'm just never able to get over just how perfectly clean the entire thing is drawn.
Just the constant, near perfect linework that makes it seem like a cut-and-paste vector based comic from this century.
Despite being a generation prior, and the product of a -lot- of work and skill, I assume.

It's vaguely eerie in a way I just can't really express.

Yeah the cleanness really reminds me of Achewood more than anything else. It's like ligne claire to the nth degree, I can't think of anything else of that period which looks quite like it.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The Perishers (1983)

Beau Peep (1986)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Oh, I dare.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haifisch posted:

While hunting for Staton/Curtis' Tracy fanfic(did you think I was joking?), I stumbled on these Minit Mysteries from the 50s. Enjoy:
The first two were pretty good puzzles for children. The second two are a bit Inspector Danger. Don't you know that women always take their hats off with two hands?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My Dad is Dracula

🎉 WELCOME TO GUEST COMIC WEDNESDAY 🎉
Our premiere guest comic is by my wonderful wife, Julai Whipple! Shout out for her etsy shop, Checked Out Style, where she makes fashions inspired by vintage pulp and young adult book covers!

Pickles

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm Superman.

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz