Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

violent sex idiot posted:

in the comics morbius is a dork who sucks plasma out of people with vaginas in his hands

That's only in the animated series because they couldn't say "blood" or have him bite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Zeta Acosta posted:

the rock is one of the greatest movies ever, what happened to michael bay?

The Rock is a bog standard dumb action movie with the amazing caveat that Sean Connery and Nic Cage were somehow convinced to be onscreen together.

2 things happened:

Michael Bay was noted even in his film school days for making GBS threads out the same shots over and over. So that's always been his thing. He looked at a couple scenes from like West Side Story and has been trying to recreate them over and over. So he looks really skilled - (camera starts spinning around at a low angle as actors stand up) because he only does like 3 things (planes fly overhead), so of course he's practiced them (camera stops as actors look offscreen).

By the end of the Transformers he was totally honest that he thought the fans were morons and he was sick of it. He admitted he only did the sequels for a paycheck, and since then he has made some hit-or-miss attempts at his own weird form of arthouse.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

isn't mobieus the guy that spawned the great gag about newspaper spiderman being stuck in a temporal loop where the first and third panels repeated/recap'd the previous strip

I don't think so. Moebius is the french dude who is up there with Ralph McQuarrie and Syd Mead for futuristic designs. Like moebius is more-or-less the reason The Fifth Element looks like it does. which is awesome

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I mostly know Morbius as one of those guys who helped Spider-Man during Maximum Carnage. I assume Sony plans to do Maximum Carnage.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
A dumb question about Jaret Leto, does he use makeup/eye liner?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

General Dog posted:

No Best Documentary Feature nomination for Apollo 11? Da gently caress?

Won't You Be My Neighbor wasn't nominated last year.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm just loling that Disney put forward Endgame and Rise of Skywalker for best picture

lmao

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

stephenthinkpad posted:

A dumb question about Jaret Leto, does he use makeup/eye liner?

There is no way in the world that he doesn't. It's an impossibility.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
is there a scene in Joker where The Joker watches an old black and white movie and learns the magic of cinema?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cubone posted:

is there a scene in Joker where The Joker watches an old black and white movie and learns the magic of cinema?

There's a screening of a Chaplin movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The King of Comedy wasn't nominated for Best Picture.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sinteres posted:

It's the one where Chaplin keeps skating close to the edge. Makes u think

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

The King of Comedy wasn't nominated for Best Picture.

Ouch, that one stings a bit.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

bring back old gbs posted:

There is no way in the world that he doesn't. It's an impossibility.

Arh that's why he looks wired to me.

Also the man bun, gently caress that poo poo.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
joker just straight up robs directtly from the king of comedy, it was weird how blatant it was

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Zeta Acosta posted:

joker just straight up robs directtly from the king of comedy, it was weird how blatant it was

I feel like casting De Niro was basically an admission, so it's not like anyone involved went to any trouble to hide the influence.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Scorsese was an exec on it!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Sinteres posted:

I loving KNEW IT

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

piratepilates posted:

Section 31 was only in like 3 episodes of ds9, and they only had a single named character. Ds9 handled it fine and didn't overdo it, but every series afterwards (except Voyager, who managed not to make that mistake) have featured them more than ds9 ever did.

At least they went out on a high with the final mirror universe episode by having mirror Kira finger blast mirror Dax

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
DS9 mirror universe is The Horny Universe and it owns

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

At least they went out on a high with the final mirror universe episode by having mirror Kira finger blast mirror Dax

DS9 sounds better than I remember.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
DS9 mirror universe also had Worf as ruler of the galaxy with Garak as his pet boytoy.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I think they should reverse it so that instead of Picard being assimilated by the Borg, Picard turns the Borg into Picards.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Morbius was like peak 70s tortured comic baddie

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cutedge posted:

Picard got picked up for a second season already. Also apparently Starfleet has a president who is a Trump analogy and they are brexiting from space.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/patrick-stewart-star-trek-picard-cbs-all-access-1203459573/

This show going to be a disaster :suicide:

Extremely bold of them to dispel any thoughts of this being like OLD THING before it is released. Maybe to get ahead of the backlash that would result from expectations being so wildly far off?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Gildiss posted:

Extremely bold of them to dispel any thoughts of this being like OLD THING before it is released. Maybe to get ahead of the backlash that would result from expectations being so wildly far off?

CBS is laundering money via Trek.

No other explanation.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Is there literally anything else propping up cbs all access? I and most of the thread are under 65, the ages of mike and rich, the core cbs demographic, so we may never know

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So last CBS boss got kicked out because he lost godzillions of money with STD and couldn't even con Netflix into paying s2 right? And the new boss is making the same mistake? Have CBS no other property people have heard of?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

stephenthinkpad posted:

So last CBS boss got kicked out because he lost godzillions of money with STD and couldn't even con Netflix into paying s2 right? And the new boss is making the same mistake? Have CBS no other property people have heard of?

Les Moonves was generally considered to be wildly successful over a long tenure if that’s who you’re talking about. He got fired for being a sex pervert.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Have CBS no other property people have heard of?
the price is right
48 hours
young sheldon
big brother
the late show

not really anything that you would, like, pay for, or remember after it's gone

for some reason nbc makes sitcoms that seem to live on with people forever after they're cancelled (friends, the office, 30 rock, parks and rec, community, seinfeld, fresh prince) but when cbs makes a sitcom they're enormously successful for years and years and then when they go off the air everybody immediately completely stops caring about them (grace under fire, dharma and greg, two and a half men, yes dear, how i met your mother, the king of queens, rules of engagement)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Was according to jim CBS because that was apparently hugely popular for reasons I’ll never understand.

E: no it was ABC!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Cubone posted:

the price is right
48 hours
young sheldon
big brother
the late show

not really anything that you would, like, pay for, or remember after it's gone

for some reason nbc makes sitcoms that seem to live on with people forever after they're cancelled (friends, the office, 30 rock, parks and rec, community, seinfeld, fresh prince) but when cbs makes a sitcom they're enormously successful for years and years and then when they go off the air everybody immediately completely stops caring about them (grace under fire, dharma and greg, two and a half men, yes dear, how i met your mother, the king of queens, rules of engagement)

the king of queens must be making bank in re-runs. several episodes a day were coming on the re-run channels when I lived at my parents' house a few years ago, it was a pretty prime slot too: a bit after people got home from work. I think that show is going to turn out to have been a silent smash hit in syndication.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 14, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

priznat posted:

Was according to jim CBS because that was apparently hugely popular for reasons I’ll never understand.

E: no it was ABC!

Jim Belushi should've stuck to voicing cartoon characters. He was pretty good at that.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

piratepilates posted:

the king of queens must be making bank in re-runs. several episodes a day were coming on the re-run channels when I lived at my parents' house a few years ago, it was a pretty prime slot too: a bit after people got home from work. I think that show is going to turn out to have been a silent smash hit in syndication.

lol remember when its twitter account reactivated like 10 months ago?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I’m reading Screenwriting 101 by Film CRIT HULK and it’s got some good ideas and also some things that are very 2012

In a certain paragraph he’s praising Valve, Bethesda and Rockstar as making excellent stories for video games, I had to look up the publication date

It probably was around the release of Portal 2, Skyrim, GTA and Red Dead Redemption 1

Also he’s got grudges with BioWare writers

And it’s extremely annoying to read it in ALL CAPS

Also a very short chapter and analysis of JJ ABRAMS URGENCY AND MYSTERY that sounds like it was written perfectly for the latest Star Wors, that was very on the nose

He also mentions the young Han Solo movie that was *just announced* at the time of writing and explains why it was gonna suck, very prescient on that

What I’m asking is, are there any good books about screenwriting ?

or just movie crafting, but preferably new stuff that wasn’t written in the 70’s (or that aren’t all caps, a gimmick that gets annoying after 3 pages, HULK NO LIKE THIS even if it has valid and good ideas and criticisms)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RLM got a mention in Jim Sterling's latest video, specifically Scientist Man's plan to save Star Wars by charging for premium experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVJRfJCfSS0

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looking forward to new CBS series

Nerdsperm Sheldon

Cubone
May 26, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

RLM got a mention in Jim Sterling's latest video, specifically Scientist Man's plan to save Star Wars by charging for premium experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVJRfJCfSS0
it starts at 12:35 you are welcome everybody

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
i looked on cbs all asses a few months ago because i was considering signing up to watch new twilight zone (dont, it's awful), and it's the most dire streaming service. the only good properties are Trek, og twilight zone, and twin peaks. After that, it's just a sea of garbage like csi,blue bloods, melrose place. There's no way they can maintain subscribers without pumping out a million Trek spinoff shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Origami Dali posted:

i looked on cbs all asses a few months ago because i was considering signing up to watch new twilight zone (dont, it's awful), and it's the most dire streaming service. the only good properties are Trek, og twilight zone, and twin peaks. After that, it's just a sea of garbage like csi,blue bloods, melrose place. There's no way they can maintain subscribers without pumping out a million Trek spinoff shows.

Atleast it’s better than Apple TV+. I didn’t even pay anything for this poo poo and I still want a refund