Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I mean, if you're good you'll be piggybacking off someone else's ip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I mean, if you're good you'll be piggybacking off someone else's ip

just like in the computer hacking simulator, uplink

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

sounds fake and dumb, and their responses to people calling them out make them sound even faker and dumber.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

redleader posted:

just like in the computer hacking simulator, uplink

using exploited boxes as a tunnel isnt uncommon at all

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
in that this person posting this tweet is basically saying "welp, i got a nasty letter in the mail from <return address>, it must have come from their house!"

also if they were able to resolve the ip to some domain that's even more likely its an exploited box somewhere

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
tbf, there's not like a guide book to hacking that covers important doing crimes stuff like "not getting caught"

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I bet there is one somewhere

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

taqueso posted:

I bet there is one somewhere

https://www.wikihow.com/Not-Get-Caught-After-Hacking-Into-a-Computer

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Cocoa Crispies posted:

tbf, there's not like a guide book to hacking that covers important doing crimes stuff like "not getting caught"

my_crimes.txt is a good what not to do guide

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

also if they were able to resolve the ip to some domain that's even more likely its an exploited box somewhere

Yeah, the only places I’d expect to see a non-ISP reverse DNS would be mail servers. Maybe some obscure hosting for somebody big enough to use non-shared hosting but small enough to have a script kiddie take over their server.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOJCb_gW8c

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cocoa Crispies posted:

as this tweet makes clear, the main precaution you need to take is to stop your computer broadcasting an ip address

this is also a good defensive measure to make it harder for people to hack you

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some of those cheap online webhosts that give you a VM & shell on a dreadfully overcommitted host have really easy reverse lookup configuration.

I can easily imagine someone who knows enough to be dangerous setting one up (including that) then later reusing the same host as their "hacker" platform after carefully connecting to it via tor or VPN so that they'd be untraceable.

Basically everyone who gets caught gets caught because of bad opsec, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yeah im going with stdh based purely on the rest of that dude's lovely tweets

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

https://youtu.be/S8GPTvq1m-w

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

James Baud posted:

Some of those cheap online webhosts that give you a VM & shell on a dreadfully overcommitted host have really easy reverse lookup configuration.

I can easily imagine someone who knows enough to be dangerous setting one up (including that) then later reusing the same host as their "hacker" platform after carefully connecting to it via tor or VPN so that they'd be untraceable.

Basically everyone who gets caught gets caught because of bad opsec, right?

lol yeah back a few years ago there was someone who got doxxed really bad because they had a bunch of personal poo poo on the machine that was also their web host

which is why back when i was doing a lot of def con stuff i made sure we simply did not run a website where we kept personal information

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
hung up on that cable modem cablehaunt poo poo

dns rebinding attacks

farts.info gives you some janky js, it asks owned.farts.info for CORS poo poo, and it resolves to the same host as farts.info, and attacker gets to say "yeah cors yolo, go nuts"

then the farts.info js starts sending XHRs and websockets against owned.farts.info that eventually rebinds to 127.0.0.1

why the gently caress isn't the web browser gonna trash the CORS result once the addrinfo changes from "public internet ip" to "localhost" or "non-routable address"

what janky poo poo will this break taht doesn't deserve to be broken

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

after the last several discussions of enterprise software making use of local “web servers” and resources and the reluctance of a browser vendor to say “yeah, nah” we will see this kind of thing for a while I bet

never trust by IP alone if you can in any way afford to do so

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was just wondering about why mitigating DNS-rebinding attacks in general isn't considered in scope for browsers (which do all their own DNS) in the last week or so too.

I imagine it would break CDNs who don't use anycast, but there are lots of other security policies you can opt into so why not one about this?

Rebinds re: only non-routable IPs seems even safer.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

James Baud posted:

Rebinds re: only non-routable IPs seems even safer.

rebinding between public, localhost, and the different prefixes for non-routables shouldn't keep CORS results, yeah

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mozilla tried public->nonpublic restrictions more than 5 years ago and it broke stuff, and Chrome has had an additional preflight requirement for public->nonpublic CORSy requests in the build but behind a test flag for a few years as well. I wouldn’t want to be the one who decided to change that default today.

rebinding protection as a subset might be safer, as long as it doesn’t fall afoul of selecting on-net CDN elements and such

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-It-Look-Like-You-Are-Hacking

quote:

Question
Why would I want to do this?

Community Answer
You could do this to pull a prank on your friends or make them think you're a cool hacker!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

okay one more

https://www.wikihow.com/Look-Like-a-Computer-Cracker

the whole thing is excellent but i especially love the warnings:

quote:

• Looking like a cracker is not going to get you girls. Confidence and self-assurance will get you girls.
  • Getting rid of your friends and not shaving are not good. You might not be able to regain these friends.
  • This is ONLY a guide for how to LOOK like crackers/script kiddies. Hackers are completely different. Do NOT do this and call yourself a Hacker. If you ever meet a real Hacker and he sees you doing this and calling yourself a Hacker, he will laugh.
  • Under no circumstances, never send to the developer community forum questions, how to crack the software they are developing. This is unlikely to be helpful and it is not uncommon to get insulting messages back.
  • Remember breaking into someone else's digital device with out explicit authorisation is a serious offence.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jabor posted:

Here's how it works:

1. You try to log in.
2. The device you're trying to log in on shows you a QR code identifying the device.
3. You scan the QR code with your phone that's already logged in, your phone processes the QR code and tells the service provider to log in the new device.

Oh lord this is so dumb

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

graph posted:

wait, whats up with netscalers

I assume you looked it up by now, but there’s a directory traversal vuln in Citrix adc and gateway products that basically shells them. Citrix published a workaround that’s ok for now but no patch. last Friday some Indian team dropped a simple exploit on github and over the weekend basically everyone who hasn’t mitigated is probably rooted. ironically the first thing skids do is try to run coinminers on them, because of course.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
also apparently there’s going to be an apocalyptic patch for core Windows crypto dropped today too.

have fun folks :munch:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ewiley posted:

also apparently there’s going to be an apocalyptic patch for core Windows crypto dropped today too.

does it speed it all up so compromised windows servers can run crypto miners as efficiently as compromised linux servers

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ewiley posted:

but will it be good enough to force xp updates? the cutoff for win7 is today so the patch needs to handle all variants

today should be a good selection of updates, but tomorrow is when things get interesting

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ewiley posted:

yeah, this one looks spicy

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

rooting for chaos

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/1217117892786831360
https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/1217114698115698688

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Don't update your Xboxes.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

don't mind me just refreshing https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/security-guidance

https://twitter.com/hashcat/status/1217121542485815297
https://twitter.com/dlitchfield/status/1217128076485644288

Subjunctive posted:

Mozilla tried public->nonpublic restrictions more than 5 years ago and it broke stuff, and Chrome has had an additional preflight requirement for public->nonpublic CORSy requests in the build but behind a test flag for a few years as well. I wouldn’t want to be the one who decided to change that default today.

rebinding protection as a subset might be safer, as long as it doesn’t fall afoul of selecting on-net CDN elements and such
speaking of changing defaults and opening the floodgates:
https://twitter.com/justinschuh/status/1217124854861914114

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 14, 2020

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

oh wow usenix enigma getting some real Content

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2020-0601

quote:

An attacker could exploit the vulnerability by using a spoofed code-signing certificate to sign a malicious executable, making it appear the file was from a trusted, legitimate source. The user would have no way of knowing the file was malicious, because the digital signature would appear to be from a trusted provider.

i wonder when we'll see this being exploited on the xbox

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/taviso/status/1217146026923978752

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol the link is timing out now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ooooh boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011