Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Apparently there's some speculation that Kojima's working on a horror game with Masahiro Ito? That would be rad as hell. If it's true I hope he talks Junji Ito into coming aboard too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Apparently there's some speculation that Kojima's working on a horror game with Masahiro Ito? That would be rad as hell. If it's true I hope he talks Junji Ito into coming aboard too.

Junji was tapped for Silent Hills and is a cameo in this game, so I imagine that it would be kind of a no-brainer.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Junji was tapped for Silent Hills and is a cameo in this game, so I imagine that it would be kind of a no-brainer.

Yeah, Kojima + Ito + del Toro is pretty much my dream team collab for a full length horror game, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up just yet. It's bizarre how few good AAA horror games there are, and how many of them seem to just get stuck in development hell or never get past the preliminary planning stage.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Crossing the tar belt nearly gave me a panic attack.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

crossing the tar belt sounds like it should be the name of the new my chemical romance album

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe I'm just too sappy but the game made me a bit misty eyed (again). I was having a lot of trouble recording a segment for my let's play and was feeling seriously discouraged, and at the end of the take where I finally got everything how I wanted, Sam said "You should have more faith in yourself". Never heard him say that before! I really appreciate that Sam talks to himself sometimes on extended outings, the game would feel much more lonely if he was just quietly effort-grunting his way across the US.

edit: Though I do wish he said "gotta stretch my legs" while getting out of vehicles less often. I only drove the bike for a minute it's not like you're gonna be walking bow-legged dude!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 12, 2020

night slime
May 14, 2014
Looks like the game is programmed to help out the mules if they get stuck. Cheaters... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN7K8Q8xaTU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

night slime posted:

Looks like the game is programmed to help out the mules if they get stuck. Cheaters... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN7K8Q8xaTU

Thats extremely Kojima and I love it

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

The ocean is scary as gently caress. Whales are scary as gently caress. This game owns so much.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I just finished reinstalling MGSV on my PS4 and I'm going to replay this incomplete masterpiece.

Death Stranding and MGSV share a lot of the same DNA... or should I say memes.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

That whole ending sequence...wow.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I thought today's episode of "How Did This Get Played" on Death Stranding was funny and interesting - they love the game.

https://www.earwolf.com/show/how-did-this-get-played/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Figured out today that Sam's ability to knock MULEs out with packages depends on how hard you wing them. Early in the game tossing while standing still does the trick, but later on MULEs and terrorists start wearing heavier coats and face shields and stuff. After that the basic throw doesn't work anymore and just stuns them for a moment.

So I started wearing speed skeleton legs, punch gloves, and sprinting while tossing, which gives packages so much momentum that enemies hit with them get knocked the gently caress out into next week go flying back like ten feet. :getin:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Worth noting is Sam’s right arm is stronger than his left, so “the arm you use to throw” literally makes a difference as well

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

night slime posted:

I will bet :10bux: that they’ve got that in place for all human models, you included, probably at least in part so that “random porters don’t get stuck in a place where they might die and cause BTs/voidouts”

the methodology of a bunch of sams dragging a car to hell is pretty :stare: though

e: tempted to see if you find the car in the seam after that happens

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 13, 2020

night slime
May 14, 2014

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I will bet :10bux: that they’ve got that in place for all human models, you included, probably at least in part so that “random porters don’t get stuck in a place where they might die and cause BTs/voidouts”

the methodology of a bunch of sams dragging a car to hell is pretty :stare: though

e: tempted to see if you find the car in the seam after that happens

I was going to try to mess with it some more but it's hard as gently caress to recreate stuff in this game. I kept trying to do this weird boss one again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az-AShy6MsE No idea what really happened other than I peed on its face/eye? Every other try I missed it and got knocked down or just made a little white spot, and it takes forever to set up so I just gave up.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

night slime posted:

I was going to try to mess with it some more but it's hard as gently caress to recreate stuff in this game. I kept trying to do this weird boss one again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az-AShy6MsE No idea what really happened other than I peed on its face/eye? Every other try I missed it and got knocked down or just made a little white spot, and it takes forever to set up so I just gave up.

Presumably Ex 1 grenades would have the same effect with less timing necessary, although the instant full color change seems like a bug regardless

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CJacobs posted:

Figured out today that Sam's ability to knock MULEs out with packages depends on how hard you wing them. Early in the game tossing while standing still does the trick, but later on MULEs and terrorists start wearing heavier coats and face shields and stuff. After that the basic throw doesn't work anymore and just stuns them for a moment.

So I started wearing speed skeleton legs, punch gloves, and sprinting while tossing, which gives packages so much momentum that enemies hit with them get knocked the gently caress out into next week go flying back like ten feet. :getin:

It really never gets old bonking mules with cargo. Going into a mule camp and starting with no weapons can be a lot of fun as you pick up stuff from mules you beat.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I like going into a mule camp and taking them all on with just the strand and trying to not get hit once. Sam Parry Bridges

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RatHat posted:

It really never gets old bonking mules with cargo. Going into a mule camp and starting with no weapons can be a lot of fun as you pick up stuff from mules you beat.

grabbing a mule package out of the air while the slo mo is going on and whipping it at another mule to knock him out is the most satisfying thing in the game to me

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, Kojima + Ito + del Toro is pretty much my dream team collab for a full length horror game, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up just yet. It's bizarre how few good AAA horror games there are, and how many of them seem to just get stuck in development hell or never get past the preliminary planning stage.

Horror as a game genre has always had a sort of rocky relationship, because you have to walk a fine line with a lot of factors.

Agency is a big one: give your players too many tools and options to counter your opponents and it becomes an action game with scary bits (RE4/5/6, Dead Space), but if you take away everything you basically make it a torture fest (Layers of Fear, which I didn't like, Five Nights) that becomes more about finishing it than the scares.

Atmosphere is another, with many of the examples above. Explosions and set pieces become expected and are no longer scary (DS2 is a huge example of this) but drain out the palette or make everything dark and you just get bored (SH:Downpour, Amnesia 2) and if things get too over the top weird and you never have a chance to breathe, then it just becomes silly (Outlast).

It has been a while since I played a start-to-finish horror game, because that balance is really hard to walk. Its why Silent Hill 2 is still considered such a great example, and why modern games like the RE2 Remake have scary moments rather than being an all-out horror game. 'Faith' was a good recent example, as it used a limited set to build a world, then defied it to jarring, stunning effect and made a real struggle with those limited tools.

And, with how PT captured audiences long after it was made unplayable, to the point that 'PT Clones' were a thing, hinted towards that balance in Hills, headed by people who knew how to make it work. It could have failed in a dozen different ways, to be sure. But the fact that we will never know is the true punishment.

Any horror recommendations would always be appreciated.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I think the Suda51/Swery65/Keiichiro Toyama joint venture should call Kojima. Not to be in charge, just help.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I was thinking recently how Silent Hill 2 is a hard one to recommend anymore.. I mean I love it, but the controls and UI are a constant fight and mechanically it's just really uncomfortable to play these days. I would probably tell folks to watch an LP and then play Shattered Memories. (or to go visit an alternate universe and play Silent Hills :( :( :( )

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

J.A.B.C. posted:

Horror as a game genre has always had a sort of rocky relationship, because you have to walk a fine line with a lot of factors.

Agency is a big one: give your players too many tools and options to counter your opponents and it becomes an action game with scary bits (RE4/5/6, Dead Space), but if you take away everything you basically make it a torture fest (Layers of Fear, which I didn't like, Five Nights) that becomes more about finishing it than the scares.

Atmosphere is another, with many of the examples above. Explosions and set pieces become expected and are no longer scary (DS2 is a huge example of this) but drain out the palette or make everything dark and you just get bored (SH:Downpour, Amnesia 2) and if things get too over the top weird and you never have a chance to breathe, then it just becomes silly (Outlast).

It has been a while since I played a start-to-finish horror game, because that balance is really hard to walk. Its why Silent Hill 2 is still considered such a great example, and why modern games like the RE2 Remake have scary moments rather than being an all-out horror game. 'Faith' was a good recent example, as it used a limited set to build a world, then defied it to jarring, stunning effect and made a real struggle with those limited tools.

And, with how PT captured audiences long after it was made unplayable, to the point that 'PT Clones' were a thing, hinted towards that balance in Hills, headed by people who knew how to make it work. It could have failed in a dozen different ways, to be sure. But the fact that we will never know is the true punishment.

Any horror recommendations would always be appreciated.

True. I feel like Alien:Isolation did a good job of giving the player lots of tools without ever making you feel like a badass who could just shoot their way out of a problem.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Probably my biggest disappointment with Death Stranding is that after a while the BTs got to be kind of boring -- there's a couple nice variations, like having to work without BB, and the bosses in the third act, but once I got a grip on how they worked they were never quite as thrilling to contend with as they were in the first couple chapters.

night slime
May 14, 2014

vseslav.botkin posted:

Probably my biggest disappointment with Death Stranding is that after a while the BTs got to be kind of boring -- there's a couple nice variations, like having to work without BB, and the bosses in the third act, but once I got a grip on how they worked they were never quite as thrilling to contend with as they were in the first couple chapters.

I dunno, I agree they got easier to deal with but I think it's a tricky design question. They felt really unique for a while and I feel like no matter what they'd never hit that high again, and if they just started inserting more difficult ones they'd possibly teeter off into genericness.

Tangentially, I thought maybe the chiral fluctuation would be a good gimmick to insert into the gameplay as a random thing, but I wondered if it wouldn't just grind everything to a halt and just make you want to wait to resume package delivering, the way the rain in Zelda just makes you abandon the climbing you were doing (except in Zelda there is stuff to do other than climbing unlike the focus here being cargo/transporting stuff). I also thought randomized BT areas on the map would be cool, but it runs into a similar problem of just being too arbitrary and loving everything up for the player. Thinking about stuff I might want to see in the game and then realizing how much worse it could make the game kind of made me respect how much deliberate thought went into it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

More BT types would've been cool but I strongly suspect there's budget and memory limits they had to consider as well. The game runs incredibly smooth on the base console and I doubt that happens without making some sacrifices here and there.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Agency is a big one: give your players too many tools and options to counter your opponents and it becomes an action game with scary bits (RE4/5/6, Dead Space)

I mean if Dead Space 1 doesn't qualify as a decent horror game just because it has action then idk man. Imo just about any genre can be a good horror game because it's about tension, atmosphere and playing on fears. It's extremely difficult to pull off but like, player agency is just one small knob to be dialing on a vast machine of making a successful horror game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I mean if Dead Space 1 doesn't qualify as a decent horror game just because it has action then idk man. Imo just about any genre can be a good horror game because it's about tension, atmosphere and playing on fears. It's extremely difficult to pull off but like, player agency is just one small knob to be dialing on a vast machine of making a successful horror game.

resident evil 4 is significantly more of a third person shooter than dead space 1 but it still gets to count, people are very loose with their definitions regarding player agency.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Dead Space, Resident Evil 4, and Doom (3, but also 2016) fall into a kind of bucket where they’re technically horror but they’re significantly less tense (although part of the problem with using the latter term is that it’s extremely player-dependent). Tension in a game is the difference between the new player creeping along in a Soulsborne game, wary of every box, and the naked speedrunner juking every enemy that they already know is there.

Games that provide you with mechanisms to remove enemies outright are generally going to have a far faster falloff rate of tension compared to games where the only option for removal of tension is “intimate knowledge of the enemy AI”, especially if most players will finish the game before ever actually fully decoding that AI.

To that end, I’d classify Dead Space as technically horror in terms of plot/vibe, but the primary gameplay genre is action, and the more comfortable you are with that the less likely you are to find any tension in that gameplay.

Death Stranding, similarly, is only tense in situations where you enter unprepared, and the game makes it very easy to be very prepared for 95% of the game.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
dead space is an interesting one because even though by the parameters given here they do give you more options for responding to threats than your average horror game but they also work that into the formula by requiring/encouraging attacks on limbs which makes fights more frantic and gory.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Genre pedants are the worst

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

survival horror/horror game gate keeping is always very dumb

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm happy to see any flavor of horror and/or metal soundtracks attempted in games. And that's why Doom2016 owns.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs posted:

Genre pedants are the worst

just wait until I say “death stranding is a roguelite” and summon the swarms

but really, a lot of the pedantary would be solved if “genre” didn’t try to encompass both “gameplay” and “aesthetic”, and in this essay I will

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

night slime posted:

I dunno, I agree they got easier to deal with but I think it's a tricky design question. They felt really unique for a while and I feel like no matter what they'd never hit that high again, and if they just started inserting more difficult ones they'd possibly teeter off into genericness.

Tangentially, I thought maybe the chiral fluctuation would be a good gimmick to insert into the gameplay as a random thing, but I wondered if it wouldn't just grind everything to a halt and just make you want to wait to resume package delivering, the way the rain in Zelda just makes you abandon the climbing you were doing (except in Zelda there is stuff to do other than climbing unlike the focus here being cargo/transporting stuff). I also thought randomized BT areas on the map would be cool, but it runs into a similar problem of just being too arbitrary and loving everything up for the player. Thinking about stuff I might want to see in the game and then realizing how much worse it could make the game kind of made me respect how much deliberate thought went into it.

To tie this more explicitly into the horror game talk, I think the issue isn't just that the BTs become less difficult over time -- although they do, as your bond with BB develops, you get more weapons to fight them, and you can plan your routes to avoid them -- but they're also explained in considerable detail and their behavior is really consistent: they try to grab you, you try to escape or they succeed; if they do, then you try to escape again or fight a mini-boss. Of course, since this is Kojima, the idea of confronting and understanding your fears in order to defeat them is probably not a theme arrived at accidentally. I never played PT, so I don't know how that compares.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I still am adamant they give you tools to do away with BTs much too early in the game. I'd have preferred if your first anti-BT tool was the cufflink augment (given in chapter 2 at the point where you currently get blood grenades), so you would have to suck in a breath and get close if you wanted to eliminate them and make things easier. That way they could show that severing BTs from the living world with the cuff is 'non-lethal', and then later give you lethal tools like the blood grenades that outright kill them. From that point you can decide if you feel like the BTs 'deserve' the same non-lethal treatment you give human enemies. As is, killing them is your default option and the game doesn't really ask you to consider that they aren't just ghosts from another dimension, they're the real spirits of formerly living people, hostile or not.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 14, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Cufflink early would make for better gameplay but it’d be harder to explain why “chiral bloodblade” happens before “blood water balloon”. Extending the useful period of EX grenades with a “we tested them and this is what they seem to do” would have been nice, as would swapping the wind farm and weather station to have “avoid BT weather” be even temporarily useful instead of easily always ignored.

Related, they make a point of saying your rope is blood-infused but I never found a situation where it did anything vs BTs, is there an option to bind BTs before you get the cuff or something?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think the BT fighting tools was a bit of a design misstep, you can't REALLY extend the length that EX grenades are useful because you can't actually kill a BT with them. just maybe having hemetic grenades one shot all early game BTs on normal difficulty also wasn't the right decision, i don't know. there's a logistic issue where if it takes two you kind of slow down the game and massively increase loadout because they're also dots so. i don't know. i don't think it's game ruining but the curve also absolutely feels off.

the easier design misstep to address is how absurdly good the bolas is against mules and how it's one of the first things you get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Cufflink early would make for better gameplay but it’d be harder to explain why “chiral bloodblade” happens before “blood water balloon”. Extending the useful period of EX grenades with a “we tested them and this is what they seem to do” would have been nice, as would swapping the wind farm and weather station to have “avoid BT weather” be even temporarily useful instead of easily always ignored.

Related, they make a point of saying your rope is blood-infused but I never found a situation where it did anything vs BTs, is there an option to bind BTs before you get the cuff or something?

The blood is used for ID scans. You can bind BTs with the Boola gun tho.