Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Darko posted:

I wish it had grabbed a few more side characters to die early on and late to pace out the deaths a bit better, but I liked it.

I think having the dog created more anxiety for me than anything else. Maybe add extra dogs?

Edit: Yay new page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qo1__kbwrA

SecretOfSteel fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

I have now seen Underwater and it struck me enough to make a whole drat thread to talk about water movies. It's an exceptionally clean movie, in terms of structure and pacing. I think not being a R movie hurts it, because there's no gore to speak of and I don't think the tween friday-night crowd would be interested in this. There's maybe 1 or 2 jump scares in the whole thing, it's mostly dread and 'this is about to happen, prepare yourself'

I liked it a lot, but I don't think it's better than Deepstar Six or Deep Rising at all.

I would love to see an adaptation of the Nick Cutter book "The Deep". With the right script and director, it could be horrifying. His other novel, The Troop would be an amazing movie, too.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

HouseOfLeaves99 posted:

I would love to see an adaptation of the Nick Cutter book "The Deep". With the right script and director, it could be horrifying. His other novel, The Troop would be an amazing movie, too.

i believe The Troop is in production already and i am excited. The Deep would maybe be good, but that ending would sure burn a fair bit of goodwill in the cinema.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I wish DRAUG had a bigger budget.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Finally got around to IT2 and it was pretty disappointing. It is way long but still woefully manages to not adequately develop any of the adult Loser characters, there's way too much CGI, the pacing is bizarre and there are just too many "Hey, remember this from the first movie???" scenes.

Bill Hader is very good in the movie and pretty much carries it by himself. James McAvoy ended up being bad casting and he doesn't seem like the Bill from the first movie at all - he's weirdly happy-go-lucky too often in the movie instead of being the traumatized but brave leader they mean him to be. They did Mike real dirty in both movies - I was hoping he'd get a chance to shine in the 2nd movie but they decided he would be a weird crackpot. James Ransome is pretty great casting for an older Eddie but they dial the character up so much you can't like him at all. Chastain is fine but is given nothing interesting to do.

I quite like the first film and it's obvious that it works because the kids in it are so good and bounce off each other very well. But they over rely on them through the frequent flashbacks in the 2nd part, almost as if they were too scared to just be focused on the adults the whole time. Also they lost a lot by not going with the structure of the book and focusing on the adult & kid stories being told at the same time. I did like that they tried to incorporate the Ritual of Chud for the ending but then it turned into them just yelling at IT for a while and that ended up being D-U-M dumb. I never thought that I'd end up liking the 90's miniseries more than these two IT movies after the first part worked so well, but here we are. Props to Skarsgaard who was pretty good despite having to try and live up to Tim Curry.

e: I also feel that they totally whiffed on the subplot of Derry itself being infected by IT and allowing terrible things to happen. The first part had a few scenes where people ignored/enabled violence (loved the creepy TV bits) but that was pretty much absent in the 2nd part.

Anyway that's a lot to write about IT2 but I also finally watched Midsommar tonight and it was excellent. I'll take all the folklore horror you got!

el oso fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 14, 2020

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I also watched Midsommar tonight. By the end I was ready for it to be over just so I could get back in a normal headspace. It was giving me a stomach ache from tension. It wasn't really scary but the unease is palpable. There's definitely something about horrible things happening in broad daylight. I thought the redheaded actress from the sex ritual was the same actress as Alice Karstark from Game of Thrones but it was someone else entirely.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

May Neptune's trident strike down every Academy member who didn't vote for The Lighthouse. Hark.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

NienNunb posted:

May Neptune's trident strike down every Academy member who didn't vote for The Lighthouse. Hark.

Ehh Parasite got a ton of nominations which surprised me (in a good way). Although so did Joker which also surprised me (in a bad way).

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

NienNunb posted:

They just didnt have the grum

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

alansmithee posted:

Ehh Parasite got a ton of nominations which surprised me (in a good way). Although so did Joker which also surprised me (in a bad way).

I liked Joker. I honestly don't understand why it's so divisive. Parasite is also great.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

NienNunb posted:

I think Dafoe definitely deserved a nom

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 14, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

el oso posted:

They did Mike real dirty in both movies - I was hoping he'd get a chance to shine in the 2nd movie but they decided he would be a weird crackpot.

Mike is by his own admission a weird crackpot in the book. He spends a lot of time in his journal not quite drawing the comparison between himself and Derry: both have a veneer of normality stretched not quite to the point of cracking over howling madness.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I watched Color Out of Space last night and it was pretty solid. It sometimes feels like it's trying to imitate a Stuart Gordon film (especially From Beyond) but isn't totally successful at it... the pacing in particular feels pretty off. However it has some pretty wild moments, it looks nice, and Nicolas Cage gets to absolutely chew up the scenery in the third act. Some cool practical effects too, like a very The Thing-esque group of mutated alpacas fused together into a big gross pile of a creature. Cage then proceeds to blow all their heads off with a shotgun in a very messy way. Not a masterpiece but I dug it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

gey muckle mowser posted:

I watched Color Out of Space last night

This is finally coming to my town in two weeks and I'm dying to see it. I was a big Lovecraft fan in my youth (before I learned about subtext) so I'm always excited to see his ideas given a modern take.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

gey muckle mowser posted:

Color Out of Space

Not a masterpiece but I dug it.

That's exactly how I felt about it. As far as Lovecraft adaptations go, it was fun, it had cool practical effects, and Nic Cage got to go hog wild there at the end. It didn't blow me away but I wouldn't be mad watching it again with someone else.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The closest place I could see it was a 2-hour drive each way, so I had to pass. Curse the local Alamo for not bringing this to us. I'm thinking about just buying the DVD sight-unseen when it releases. My wife is a fan of Richard Stanley and just showed me Dust Devil a few months back.

Cage also has a pretty good record starring in indie horror movies.

Untrustable posted:

I liked Joker. I honestly don't understand why it's so divisive.
I'm not sure that it is. After the hype blew over, most people I talk to think it's a pretty good psychological horror movie.

I also just saw The Art of Self Defense and it's my favourite movie of 2019. I've been proselytizing for it in every thread; if you want to see a movie that is actually about toxic masculinity paving the way to fascism, check it out. (It's also scarily accurate to the belt system and some of the culty attitudes of karate schools in the 90s.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 14, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There's a few reasons why Joker is so divisive among film nerds.

The biggest is that it's a comic book movie and there is a very specific mold that comic book movies are allowed to be in. If they're light, fast-paced, quippy, and end with a big fight against a nondescript CGI vortex or golem (or better yet, two or three of the heroes deciding they hate each other and having a fistfight), they're Good Comic Movies. If they do literally anything outside that mold, they are Bad Comic Movies. (This is because the former is what Disney does, the latter is what Disney does not do, and Disney's primary product is brain spiders rather than films or TV or toys.) Joker isn't even an action movie, so it's an automatic fail to a lot of people.

The second is that it's directed by the same director as the Hangover movies. It really can't be understated how much Todd Phillips' involvement made Joker a punchline before it even came out because nobody on Earth thought the Hangover guy was going to make an actual good movie. And, naturally, if you go in primed to hate something and view it as a bunch of meaningless bullshit, that's probably how you're gonna view it in the end.

Among people who actually did give it a serious chance, however, it gets a lot of poo poo for the Zazie Beetz plot point because people desperately want to "outsmart" the movie. The assumption is that the Zazie Beetz reveal calls the reality of the entire rest of the film into question, because if the film had lied to you about her, then why couldn't it have lied to you about everything? But this ignores that the reveal shows the scenes otherwise playing out almost exactly the same without her. Joker is frankly pretty explicit about what we're supposed to take as Arthur's fantasy vs. what is actually happening around him, and that reveal is very specifically targeted at Zazie Beetz' involvement.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
At risk of derail, some of us also just take issue with Joker's general attitude. I'll spoiler it, not because of actual spoilers, but so people can just ignore it if they'd like.

Like before it's release, Todd Philips was bragging about "How we needed to disguise our movie as a comic book film in order to make a real movie. Meanwhile the actual content of the film is basically 2 hours of sucking off both Batman and the Joker. You made a comic book film todd, only different from Marvel movies in subject and content. Don't act like you're above the genre, Todd.

Also don't ignore that the film is basically a Scorsese fan film. Like what Tarentino does to film is like a collage, what Todd does is tracing.

And last, the film has just a completely 'gently caress you' nihilist attitude towards pretty much all of it's subjects (except if it's Batman or the Joker). Like it's deserved when you're talking about capitalist, 1%-er assholes. But the underclass who is completely deserve to be angry and righteous, they're just as much under Todd's contempt too. Like there's no good or righteous people in the film (except for one under characterized black woman). And that leaves a bad taste in my mouth when, currently, a lot of underclass people deserve to be angry and righteous towards the rich assholes that are actively trying to gently caress the planet over. It's just using 'relevant' politics towards no clear end. It's just centerist "all sides are bad" rhetoric being repackaged as edgy. And looking at Todd's filmography, a GG Allen doc, a fraternity Doc, and Hangover 2 and 3 (the two he actually helped write), this is just his brand. Just complete gently caress You attitude towards his own amusement and towards no ends.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

The closest place I could see it was a 2-hour drive each way, so I had to pass. Curse the local Alamo for not bringing this to us. I'm thinking about just buying the DVD sight-unseen when it releases. My wife is a fan of Richard Stanley and just showed me Dust Devil a few months back.

I'm sure you've seen it but if not, there's a documentary about his version of Island of Dr. Moreau vs. what ended up getting made that is completely nuts. I mean knew a lot of stories about that movie's production but holy crap. Also you get a more detailed explanation of how Richard Stanley managed to cameo in the movie despite being fired before filming proper was even underway! :aaaaa: It should be on Prime, full title is Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau. It's an absolute must-watch if you haven't.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I heard an interview with the Joker director where he said the only way to get a major studio to spend a bunch of money on a psychological character study film (and the only way to get modern audiences to actually watch it) was to disguise it as a comic book movie. Kind of depressing.

Edit: OK the spoilers above actually address this point. Since I haven’t actually seen the movie I don’t have much to contribute about it.

david_a fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 14, 2020

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

SomeJazzyRat posted:

At risk of derail, some of us also just take issue with Joker's general attitude. I'll spoiler it, not because of actual spoilers, but so people can just ignore it if they'd like.

This was basically how I felt about it. It's well shot/acted, but, holy poo poo, is it ever smug.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Joker is an okay movie, but that's about it.

It's main problem, for me at least, is that it doesn't really do anything all that different from the other hundreds of "socially awkward man deals with trauma/emasculation/frustration via extreme violence" movies out there other than putting the protagonist in clown make up. Those films are pretty much their own genre at this point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

I heard an interview with the Joker director where he said the only way to get a major studio to spend a bunch of money on a psychological character study film (and the only way to get modern audiences to actually watch it) was to disguise it as a comic book movie. Kind of depressing.

It felt pretty obvious watching Joker that Phillips absolutely would've rather just made the same movie with Phoenix but without any of the Batman stuff weighing them down. But I imagine he would've had a hard time getting a studio on board to spend 20 million on something like that, let alone 50 million. And the movie looks drat good so I can't really argue with the results.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's main problem, for me at least, is that it doesn't really do anything all that different from the other hundreds of "socially awkward man deals with trauma/emasculation/frustration via extreme violence" movies out there other than putting the protagonist in clown make up. Those films are pretty much their own genre at this point.

I agree that it's not very original, but still I think Phoenix is just so far and above the average actor right now that Joker's existence is totally justified just by having him in the role. It's not very often you get an actor like that able to let loose with a role like this one in a major studio film.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 14, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Like before it's release, Todd Philips was bragging about "How we needed to disguise our movie as a comic book film in order to make a real movie. Meanwhile the actual content of the film is basically 2 hours of sucking off both Batman and the Joker. You made a comic book film todd, only different from Marvel movies in subject and content. Don't act like you're above the genre, Todd.

Also don't ignore that the film is basically a Scorsese fan film. Like what Tarentino does to film is like a collage, what Todd does is tracing.

And last, the film has just a completely 'gently caress you' nihilist attitude towards pretty much all of it's subjects (except if it's Batman or the Joker). Like it's deserved when you're talking about capitalist, 1%-er assholes. But the underclass who is completely deserve to be angry and righteous, they're just as much under Todd's contempt too. Like there's no good or righteous people in the film (except for one under characterized black woman). And that leaves a bad taste in my mouth when, currently, a lot of underclass people deserve to be angry and righteous towards the rich assholes that are actively trying to gently caress the planet over. It's just using 'relevant' politics towards no clear end. It's just centerist "all sides are bad" rhetoric being repackaged as edgy. And looking at Todd's filmography, a GG Allen doc, a fraternity Doc, and Hangover 2 and 3 (the two he actually helped write), this is just his brand. Just complete gently caress You attitude towards his own amusement and towards no ends.

i mean, i kind of get this at least, but (same thing, spoilering in case it's in the no-one-cares zone)

firstly, i really don't get how you got "sucking off batman and the joker" out of it. you could pretty easily strip all the comic book references from the movie, make the Waynes a generic lovely rich family, and give Arthur some other gimmick than "evil clown," and you'd have almost exactly the same movie. two of the four important batman characters in the movie aren't even named by the movie. Joker is using the comic book trappings as a paper-thin veneer over the story it actually wants to tell.

secondly, i'm... not sure how it being Scorsese worship is a problem? it was actively advertised on that. that's arguably, from a formal and aesthetic perspective, the point.

finally, as far as the film's attitude, i... really didn't feel the same way. you're not strictly wrong, but i think i had a different takeaway than you did. i felt like, with the way Joker portrayed the poor and downtrodden other than Arthur, it was primarily trying to point out why there's no unity, no big revolution: because everybody's going through their own horrible bullshit and it taps out your empathy reserves. we empathize with Arthur because we walk his path with him, but to the other poor people, he's just that weirdo on the bus with the cards and the sob story, just another momentary distraction from the day-to-day poo poo they get dumped on them due to the very same rich people.

but that doesn't make them bad. it doesn't make them unworthy of help. very pointedly, when Arthur does end up giving them something to unite and rally around with the Joker murders and actually directs their rage (even without realizing he's doing so), they unite and start loving up the cops and the rich's poo poo (and the movie is pretty blunt in portraying this as a Good Thing). they're just actually downtrodden to the point where, absent that rallying point, they've got too many problems of their own to support Arthur. think of the internet discourse about "spoons" with regards to mental health; in the early parts, nobody has the spoons to help Arthur beyond just trying to ignore him and not make things worse, but then he pretty much does an airdrop of silverware over the city by shooting those wall street goons and Murray.

edit: the final therapist scene before the end actually pretty much explicitly says this. the therapist desperately wants to help Arthur and his situation makes her heart hurt. but there's also not really much she can do about his situation except be there for him to vent to and try to keep him on his meds, because she just doesn't have the available resources. and even the resources to do that get stripped from her. it's not that the film has a "gently caress you" attitude towards her; the film is, rather, pretty explicit that she's a good person in a situation where she can't do anything meaningful.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 14, 2020

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The Joker's main problem is that despite it's long runtime, it's a shallow exploration in what should have been a deep and thoughtful movie. It's a teenager's take on Taxi Driver, a film that invites many interesting and novel storytelling avenues to the table then engages with exactly none of them.

Phoenix elevated the material in a way that's seldom seen today, and with a good script this may have been the movie few dared to hope for. The difference between what this movie could have been and actually was is what drives folks crazy, it's amazing box office success is just salt in the wound.

The near-misses are the ones that hurt the most.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m so hyped for Color Out in the Space of Nic Cage.

I wanna watch Lost Soul again. And I should see Hardware too. I think I saw it years ago but I don’t know for sure.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i BEG of you guys please keep joker out of the horror thread i wont complain about non-horror in the horror thread if we just avoid joker

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I legit did not realize we were in Horror thread for the last bit

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the new episode of eli roths horror show guest stars ROB ZOMBIE and Ari Aster i dont watch the show but ill be watching that episode

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

i BEG of you guys please keep joker out of the horror thread i wont complain about non-horror in the horror thread if we just avoid joker

Burkion posted:

I legit did not realize we were in Horror thread for the last bit

To things back on topic, what's everyone's favorite castration scene what's everyone's favorite Friday the 13th movie is this movie horror, or horror adjacent?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That is definitely a horror film

Psychological horror, but horror

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Also I will be watching DeepStar Six soon.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

the new episode of eli roths horror show guest stars ROB ZOMBIE and Ari Aster i dont watch the show but ill be watching that episode

what did you do to celebrate zombie's birthday on sunday???

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

what did you do to celebrate zombie's birthday on sunday???

oh uk just a birthday party i was gonna invite you but Rob just wanted it to be close friends and family

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Observing horror icon birthdays is fun. Did you know Peter Cushing was born on May 26th and Vincent Price on May 27th? Great opportunity for a two day 50s/60's horror marathon.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
midsommar will win awards that matter, the chainsaw awards

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I will not talk about Joker. I will say that Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood has the best hard left turn into straight up gory horror in its last 10 minutes. .

I saw The Lighthouse is available for rent on Amazon. Thread consensus seems to be that it is good. I'll probably check that out on my days off. Any other recent releases worth renting or checking out on Shudder, Prime, Netflix, or Hulu?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

shudder just got the gore cut of Tammy and the T-Rex!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Untrustable posted:

I will not talk about Joker. I will say that Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood has the best hard left turn into straight up gory horror in its last 10 minutes. .

I saw The Lighthouse is available for rent on Amazon. Thread consensus seems to be that it is good. I'll probably check that out on my days off. Any other recent releases worth renting or checking out on Shudder, Prime, Netflix, or Hulu?

The big one is Midsommar, it just went up on Prime this week. The Lighthouse is excellent but it's horror credentials are just as questionable as Joker. A few intense moments of psychological horror but the movie is mostly about amazing cinematography, two great performances, and tension building up slowly over the course of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

shudder just got the gore cut of Tammy and the T-Rex!

Yessssss, thank you for the heads up. Watching that poo poo tonight.