Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Lone Goat posted:

show us the spreadsheet!!!!!!

It's a really awful spreadsheet and I'm frankly embarrassed about it. Here's a copy people can view and edit. If someone out there isn't garbage with spreadsheets and wanted to make a more efficient one I wouldn't mind at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Brut posted:

He's 2-0 at M8e what do you mean?

I missed him in my usual places, I thought he was out for whatever reason.

He cuts quite the figure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gTWRC4BfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeDL4Fzstr0

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Marching Powder posted:

I'm sticking by my useless idiots
Hell, same.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Oof. I’ll have to watch the replay tomorrow but onosho looked straight up concussed there

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Oh jeez. Tomorrow is Tochinoshin vs Enho.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
TINY GOD

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bentai posted:

I'm.... Not ready for this.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

ChrisBTY posted:

Also; the lengths Sumo goes to not protect anybody is astonishing.
Does the circle need to be elevated? Yes
Can the elevated platform extend to maybe more than 3 feet from the circle so falling Rikishi don't splat on the goddamn ground? Nope
How about a barricade: Nope (Not that that would help much)
Pad the Floor: Nope (or do they)
Maybe don't put fans so close to the ring they're in constant danger of being pancaked by falling meteorites of flesh?: You do not have a front row seat unless you ready to die.

Seriously, fans MUST get messed up by flying Rikishi right?

Swear to God. Do something wrong once it's a mistake, do it 100 times and its a tradition.

The fans are actually further from the dohyo than the used to be - you used to sit right against the dohyo.

And the dohyo used to be wider, apparently. I think they actually mentioned this on today's broadcast.

Also, the little roof dangling over the dohyo used to be supported by columns on the dohyo, so that would have been very OHS.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
It always seems like the audience enjoys it when a rikishi comes flying at them. Hell, I think I'd enjoy it myself but there's no way I'll ever make the Yakuza/celebrity connections to get a spot there :smith:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nah, it's just a money thing. Pretty sure all the good seats come through the various koenkai.

The former Osunaarashi's heya's website had a price list for supporting donations and (from memory) a basic donation of about $2000 AUD would guarantee a fancy seat for one day at one basho each year.

Of course, there's some faces you'll see in the front rows for most days in a basho and you wonder how much money they're pissing into sumo each year.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

What in the hell?! It’s raining kinboshi this tournament.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I think it's possible we have a basho with no Yokozuna on the banzuke in 2020. That hasn't happened since 1932.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Me, this basho:

:confused:

Wat in the heck. Don’t get me wrong, this is shaping up to be one of the most entertaining since I started watching, but...

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
ENDO ZENSHO LETSO GO

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This basho has been amazing so far.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I love everything that is happening :confuoot:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Konstantin posted:

I think it's possible we have a basho with no Yokozuna on the banzuke in 2020. That hasn't happened since 1932.

So what happens if Goeido gets demoted? Wikipedia says there must be at least one East and West Ozeki (dunno if that's gospel), but that they've gotten around it in the past by designating active Yokozunas as Yokozuna-Ozeki. If both of them are out, then....

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How does sumo work at the university level? It seems like there's a decent size structure for amateurs, and there's means for them to get introduced straight into makushita, but how do most of these guys do once they turn pro? How is their training or are most of them still attached to a heya?

Tochinoshin: Disappointed to see him fall to 1-2. I love the big european boys.

the abi-tamawashi match was pretty interesting in the way it ended.

Endo looking like he's about to get real paid.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 14, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
really stoked enho scored another w showing maegashira 5 is definitely where he belongs, but have at least two yokozuna been kinboshi'd 2 days in a row before? god drat guys find the fighting spirit!

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 14, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ilmucche posted:

How does sumo work at the university level? It seems like there's a decent size structure for amateurs, and there's means for them to get introduced straight into makushita, but how do most of these guys do once they turn pro? How is their training or are most of them still attached to a heya?

i'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but although there are sumo clubs at universities most guys join stables younger than that and forego uni. it's actually one of the reforms that may have to come in sumo to keep the young people competing in the sport - nowadays, promising sumo are foregoing joining a stable to educate themselves and live a more normal life (and who can blame them)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Man, no Yokozunas. Any speculative reason as to why there haven't been any standouts among the rank-and-file over the last decade(?) or so?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

ChrisBTY posted:

Man, no Yokozunas. Any speculative reason as to why there haven't been any standouts among the rank-and-file over the last decade(?) or so?

Asashoryu scary Hakuho scarier :shrug:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I guess having the G.O.A.T. ready at all times to slap a digit to the right of the dash doesn't help.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

ChrisBTY posted:

I guess having the G.O.A.T. ready at all times to slap a digit to the right of the dash doesn't help.

Pretty much. Yusho are the way to get to yokozuna, and those are hard to come by when the GOAT of GOATs is around. Harumafuji is the only guy of the Hakuho era able to consistently get wins off of him (consistently being one out of every three bouts). Kakuryu's got a terrible record against him, but won the two matches that really mattered. Same for Kise. There's been a few other quality Ozeki that in any other era might have been shoo-ins, but y'know...

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I've decided to be a Kotoeko fan based purely on his stylish lavender mawashi and it's shaping up pretty decently so far.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

This is my first ever basho and I'm easing my way in by just watching the big matches uploaded by Jason's Sumo YouTube channel but I'm loving it. I always liked watching it on TV as a kid when I was on vacation in Hawaiʻi and understanding more of it as an adult makes it so much more fun.

Enho is my loving guy and I will already die for him.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Anime Reference posted:

I've decided to be a Kotoeko fan based purely on his stylish lavender mawashi and it's shaping up pretty decently so far.

Yeah I feel like Kotoshogiku is headed for retirement soon so he's probably gonna be the ranking Sadogatake beya dude for a long time, though Kotonowaka (formerly kotokamatani) is 2-1 at J2e and Kotoshoho (former Kototebakari) is 3-0 from J8, so they've certainly got some young ones coming up too.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey Martytoof could you share how yoh go about getting sumo tix? A friend here in Korea said the only way he could go was via a tour group because tickets weren't available to buy when he tried to get them on his own.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bentai posted:

Feeling bad for Tochinoshin. He looks weak and tired.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Mekchu posted:

Hey Martytoof could you share how yoh go about getting sumo tix? A friend here in Korea said the only way he could go was via a tour group because tickets weren't available to buy when he tried to get them on his own.

My understanding is people use a broker such as buysumotickets.com

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Right but my friend said that didnt work out well for him when he went so I was just curious how martytoof did it.

Edit - i should add I am not aware of what broker he used to buy tickets on his own.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 15, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This is my first ever basho and I'm easing my way in by just watching the big matches uploaded by Jason's Sumo YouTube channel but I'm loving it. I always liked watching it on TV as a kid when I was on vacation in Hawaiʻi and understanding more of it as an adult makes it so much more fun.

Welcome to sumo! Jason is a great way to get started. My first year or so watching was just Jason, then I watched Jason and Kintamayama once I started recognizing some of the lower rank guys. I also highly recommend the Grand Sumo Breakdown podcast. Go listen to their Intro to Hatsu 2020 episode, they'll have a midway episode out sometime this weekend.

We've got some kinboshi on the board this basho! I don't know if Hakuho has ever given up 2 in a row. That's pretty intense. It's also made for some interesting scoreboard shakeups!

Day 3 standings

code:
Bentai		11
bessantj	8
fisting by many	10
Kenning		9
Marching Powder	7
Martytoof	10
Mekchu		9
ratmosphere	8
Rigel		10
Robviously	12
Scythe		8
sivad		5
Spokes		10
Thauros		5
I'm definitely enjoying this basho more than Kyushu, although I wish Takayasu and, frankly, Goeido were doing better.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Same. If Goeiedo were doing better I may actually be higher up in the points.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Mekchu posted:

Right but my friend said that didnt work out well for him when he went so I was just curious how martytoof did it.

Edit - i should add I am not aware of what broker he used to buy tickets on his own.

There's a link for official ticket sales on the NSK website:

http://www.sumo.or.jp/En/

Its over on the right side, but the one in the middle works when tix are up for sale. I used this when I went back in 2015.

The only caveat is that you need to be online and buying as soon as they are available. They sell out quickly.

Plan want you want to buy before hand so you don't miss out while fiddling around. I watched seat numbers slowly getting worse in the short time I was online in 2015 and that was before the surge in popularity in the past few years.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hakuho kyujo. Get your trades in, y/o ranks are gonna have no restrictions, since there will only be 2 options between Takakeisho and Kakuryu.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I will drop Hakuho for Takakeisho

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ty about the ticket thing. It sounds not too uncommon from Korea so I'll try to keep an eye out so I can get weekend tix for the May basho.

fisting by many posted:

I will drop Hakuho for Takakeisho

Same for me.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 15, 2020

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Is there a database of Rikishi Win-Loss-Withdraw records? My google-fu is apparently weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

cool, more new guys.

bit of advice that was given to me - next basho, pick a few guys for the, er, fantasy sumo (?) tournament thing we have going. that way, you get to know a dude at every level of the top division that you can follow and root for as time goes on, and watching them rise (.... and fall....) is extremely interesting. or just stick around for the enho circle jerk with us and all of japan.