Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

computer graphics is a pretty good place to learn linear algebra though. treat matrices as a notation for lumping up affine transformations, then double back to more general linear algebra later.

yeah I won’t say I really know graphics or linear algebra (I don’t use ‘em) but loving with pixel shaders (and converting between different color formats with a single matrix multiplication) and three.js (affine transforms) really helped me understand how matrices are useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

been writing an FCode interpreter for Atari ST

I want to get a little preboot environment going like Sun OpenBoot or Apple OpenFirmware, booting from a cartridge since that bypasses the TOS startup routines unless you specifically invoke them. so far I have a working tokenizer that supports up to 256 tokens and 10 tables of 256 user variables and word definitions (I have about 20 tokens implemented), memory reads and writes, user variable definitions, and a basic REPL. it's written on my TT030 in Pure C, which is the C compiler that was licensed to Borland back in the day and distributed as Borland C for ST. it's C89 with a couple nonstandard additions. i have it back up to my PC as well

I bougght a couple blank EPROM cartridges and some 128K EPROMs to burn it to. the ST will execute any program from a cartridge immediately after power-up without initializing TOS. there weren't many cartridges produced, mostly things like terminal emulators, dongles, and sound/graphics digitizers

also installed Cubase on the TT030 and hooked it up to my MIDI rig so now I can use it to control VSTs in Ableton (using Ableton purely as a VST host and sound recorder) and write music 1992 style

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 11, 2020

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Does this look suspicious

Should, in theory, open my workplace doors tomorrow

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It looks only marginally more suspicious than an ordinary F‐91W.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Perfect thank you
I'll let you guys know if I get arrested

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dick traceroute posted:

not from 20 feet away.

have a card or something that won’t operate the door in your hand when you do it in case someone sees you and gets pissy. if it’s a 125khz system make sure the card you have isn’t also 125 so you don’t get interference.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean, I do work there, and the regular card is staying in my wallet
The funny looks are kinda the point
It's a mifare classic 1k system

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

no rolling codes?

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mifare classic is Hella broken
I have a working clone of my official card already, (and now one in my suspicious watch)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dick traceroute posted:

I mean, I do work there, and the regular card is staying in my wallet
The funny looks are kinda the point
It's a mifare classic 1k system

sounds like you’re all set

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

no rolling codes?

lmao, just about every 125khz card just yells out a serial number when you energize it, that’s all it does. there are some oddballs that do a little bit more but most of them are super dumb.

mifare classic has lightweight cryptography that’s been busted wide open for a decade at least. there are some others running around like desfire that are harder to break.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

haveblue posted:

honestly if you want to use graphics to do some applied task you do not need to know how matrix multiplication works. sdks and game engines that handle it all for you are widely available and very comprehensive apis and large shader collections and other stuff that just asks you to specify high level operations. if you want to implement graphics outside of a mature engine, or write your own shaders, or anything like that, then you have to learn about matrices

you kinda do need to know how quaternions work though. not down to the nitty gritty actual math level, but they have counterintuitive behaviors you need to take into account

I used to believe this, and then I dealt with Apple's SceneKit libraries where they repeatedly hosed up their matrix multiplication, so you had to transpose the matrix to get the right order of operations.

Best of all, they went back and fixed them in some version instead of making a new unfucked function, so now you have a function that does the right thing on some versions of iOS and the wrong thing on some other versions. So the only way to actually get consistent behavior is to do it all yourself.

(Or, better yet, just don't use SceneKit.)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i enjoy the word "quaternion" because it sounds like some extremely fancy-rear end man's name from the 18th or 19th century. quaternion tecumseh bibblebottom the third

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hell yeah slerp those quats

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

could also pass as a pharmaceutical name

Side effects may include: headache, dizzyness, alopecia, malaise, vertigo, fatigue, etc.

or a football player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

peepsalot posted:

could also pass as a pharmaceutical name

Side effects may include: headache, dizzyness, alopecia, malaise, vertigo, fatigue, etc.

or a football player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

eeeee eeeeeeeee, torque [construction noise] lewith, and dan smith get me every time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

eeeee eeeeeeeee, torque [construction noise] lewith, and dan smith get me every time

l'carpetron dookmarriot is my favorite

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
SPLENDIFEROUS FINCH

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://twitter.com/dauragon/status/1216397753481334784?s=21

funny this tweet should show up right after i’ve turned 32 and am looking into building my own pinball table

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I learned that Rod Stewart is wildly into model trains and has built some ridiculously impressive poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

I learned that Rod Stewart is wildly into model trains and has built some ridiculously impressive poo poo.

oh yeah, he had a feature in railway modeller a while back. he worked on a lot of it while he was touring and i can just picture a crowd of screaming fans mobbing the hotel entrance hoping to party with him after the show and he’s just up in his hotel room painting graffiti on the side of a tiny warehouse. :3:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
to be fair he has been around models for his whole career

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I started playing around with making some low-res, 1-bit tiled wallpaper, pixel art type stuff. I figured I could take some inspiration from weaving techniques(the OG pixel art), and ended up going down a rabbit hole learning all these different weaving jargon and patterns, which btw are really poorly and inconsistently described all across the web.

Link to album since to avoid pic flood in thread:
https://imgur.com/a/xCvpLUZ

I pre-tiled these all to 640x480, so the patterns can be viewed easier (you still might need to get real close to your monitor to discern some though, heh), but since the original repeat pattern doesn't always divide evenly into that, most of these can't be tiled further without cropping first.

I can link to some of the original files if anyone wants them for easy tiling. I may put up a github or something eventually.
I actually have a ton more, but many of those are minor variations etc, so this is just a selection of some that I thought were at least somewhat unique or interesting.

I made all these in gimp so far, but I think my next step is gonna be writing some code to generate different kinds of checks, houndstooth variations, and tartan designs more easily. I'm looking at probably using jupyter w/ ipycanvas.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

dick traceroute posted:

I guess I might stop you if I saw you wearing that, but it would be out of concern that the cracked face might have rendered the "Water Resist" feature inoperative?

:ohdear:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 17, 2020

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

I guess I might stop you if I saw you wearing that, but it would be out of concern that the cracked face might have rendered the "Water Resist" feature inoperative?

:ohdear:

Fun fact it's not cracked! That's the coil of copper antenna you can see just behind the faceplate
I mean, it's very likely I haven't put the backplate back on properly, so I also would not trust the water resistance
Annoyingly, I'm pretty sure the watched "should" work (it's a perfect clone), but the readers at work don't pick it up.
Read distance is a little worse than a regular card, I'm assuming because of the metal in the watch causing interference. I might still experiment with antenna length, but I definitely don't understand antenna design for RFID tags

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

peepsalot posted:

Link to album since to avoid pic flood in thread:
https://imgur.com/a/xCvpLUZ

"219 tattersall" is a pro name and weave

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hey, thank you very much for doing this. i like a lot of these!

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

i'm glad you guys like them :3:

i spent waaayy too long trying to get the burberry/nova check just so, going off of a specific image from an old trenchoat(it has a gabardine weave so the twill angle is steeper), trying to count threads from blurry zoomed in pixels, where the cloth isn't lying flat, etc. I felt like I was meticulously counterfeiting a bank note or something. hope i don't get sued :wth: :filez:
I eventually realized that not even the genuine stuff seems to stick to strict thread/size ratios(like width of black box vs distance to red line varies across products), and that gabardine twill angle isn't standard either, basic 45deg actually seems more common. kinda more of just a general template they seem to go off of, so whatevs.

also for the royal stewart one I decided to embrace RGBness rather than go for any semblance of color accuracy, gotta have that eye-searing pop to it :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

huge Windows 3.1 vibes. loving it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

huge Windows 3.1 Susan Kare vibes. loving it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

I bought a defunct power supply company's entire parts stock today for $0.01 to $0.02 on the dollar - not sure yet until I inventory.

literally a couple million components.

$200

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sweet. What kind of parts? Mostly passives or?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
literally millions of surface mount passives, tons of power mosfets, tons of ferrites, i have boxes and boxes of nicad packs with decent date codes, the list goes on

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

On a somewhat related note, anyone know a good hot plate thing ( I forget the proper word for it) for surface mount soldering? I want to get one of those Quick brand hot air stations and want one of those PCB preheat thingies. Preferably AliExpress or something.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah looks like im going to be playing with SMT parts for the next six years, i need a station now

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

I bought a defunct power supply company's entire parts stock today for $0.01 to $0.02 on the dollar - not sure yet until I inventory.

$200

jonny i finally got around to setting up a work bench in my basement so i can fiddle with electricity. now i need to start hoarding components and this post is very inspirational ty

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i sometimes look at my drawers full of electronic parts and have a little existential moment of "will i still have this pile of resistors when i die? this bag of a hundred photocells that i bought for three dollars? i can't see myself ever using every single one"

at least for jonny now there is no question

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

$200

hell yeah, nice haul

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im so overwhelmed right now

that is JUST the stuff that was in the passenger seat i havent even opened the back hatch yet

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1219077530327515137

THIS poo poo IS ALL MILSPEC

gently caress
FUUUUUUUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Kind of vaguely reminds me of a guy who bought a store's closing inventory of video game cartridges for life 1$ each in the 90s or early 2000s something.

On one hand he hit paydirt and sold them for a nice profit, but on the other hand he spent hundreds and hundreds of hours hand entering each one on eBay/Amazon after inventorying them because you couldn't just upload a spreadsheet or anything.