Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

RLM got a mention in Jim Sterling's latest video, specifically Scientist Man's plan to save Star Wars by charging for premium experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVJRfJCfSS0

Jim S is in the rare 'right about almost everything but somehow annoying to listen to about it' category. Also outside of occasional skits all his vids are just reading a script over b-roll which gets old/seems like a bit of a waste of the medium. Thanks for reading my Jim S views

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No Mods No Masters posted:

Jim S is in the rare 'right about almost everything but somehow annoying to listen to about it' category. Also outside of occasional skits all his vids are just reading a script over b-roll which gets old/seems like a bit of a waste of the medium. Thanks for reading my Jim S views

The B roll actually has a purpose. It's a bunch of copyrighted clips from different companies so no one of them can copyright claim the video and get ad revenue off his work.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Considering how much better New Vegas was than anything Bethesda has put out that's pretty hilarious.

And you're looking for Dan O'Bannon's book:

https://www.amazon.com/Dan-OBannons-Guide-Screenplay-Structure/dp/1615931309/

The first time I ordered this book the contents were somehow misprinted with a book of poetry.

Looks good, thank you

Burns
May 10, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

I listened to the 2 hour podcast of the script reader guy's review of Trevorrow's Ep 9.

Tr3vorow at least realized that kylo/ben was completely irredeemable.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

I listened to the 2 hour podcast of the script reader guy's review of Trevorrow's Ep 9.

It's okay.

Both the rebels and the bad guys plots continue organically after TLJ. Rebels try to steal a star destroyer while the FO shut down the galactic internet and conquer the known world one by one like a normal villain.

Ghost Luke following around Kylo Ren and poo poo talks him.

Kylo tries to unencrypt Palpatine's 3D email in Vader's temple and got his face fried LOL (it's not that important to the story but detail like this make the over world feel real and live in.)

A spy got guillotined by Hux, yes

Finn still tries to get out of Rey's friendzone lol. Rey is still Rey Nobody, not Rey Palpy. But the script still has the "The Force chose you" religious poo poo.

Kylo basically let Hux run things while he goes all over the galaxy to chase after the secret of MORE POWA. He finds Palpatine's master whose a 7000 old alien Sith and begin training. Kylo fights virtual training course Vader. Eventually Kylo kills the old Sith. This sound dumb, but in straight Kung Fu way.

The rest of the plots are basically typical baby soft scifi stuff. It still has a McGuffin beacon to send out master rebellion signals. Rey says in early in the movie that she still wants to save Kylo. But in the end She and other force ghosted jedi defeat Kylo. And the twist is that Rey finds out it was Kylo Ren who killed Rei's nobody parents. The Rey Kylo relationship is basically follow up of TLJ not this Reylo stuff. The final battle is similar. You still have fat Lando leading the civilian ragtag spaceships. Chewie kicks rear end in a X-wing lol. Harrison Ford scene is in this script. So basically the last third of the script was the same but the big bad was Kylo not Palpy.

I mean, it's alright. Trevorrow still has an ounce more integrity than JJ because he walked after KK refused to remove zombie Carrie Fisher.

The broad strokes of this sound better than find knife -> translate knife -> find wayfinder -> Kylo destroys wayfinder -> 3 things all at once render the treasure hunt irrelevant.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

PostNouveau posted:

The broad strokes of this sound better than find knife -> translate knife -> find wayfinder -> Kylo destroys wayfinder -> 3 things all at once render the treasure hunt irrelevant.

Yeah first half is definitely better. There is a heist in the beginning everybody from TLJ has something to do including Rose. And Rei has a staff lightsaber.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

This is a great interview, he's 100% right that they have to move on from the soft colonialism and neoliberal lens of TNG, but you need good, smart and young writers to do that, not the people who wrote Batman Forever, Xena: Warrior Princess and the Transformers movies. There's no way they couldn't find good modern sci-fi writers to work with such a high profile property, they simply didn't even try.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The B roll actually has a purpose. It's a bunch of copyrighted clips from different companies so no one of them can copyright claim the video and get ad revenue off his work.

alright the odds of 2 people defending Jim Sterling is too out there..

fess up, which one of us is Jim?? dont lie

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah apart from the dumb poo poo of Kylo being trained by Palpatine's billion year old alien master it sounds serviceable enough. Still mind boggling that JJ and BvS guy's script was greenlit let alone filmed.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Firebert posted:

This is a great interview, he's 100% right that they have to move on from the soft colonialism and neoliberal lens of TNG, but you need good, smart and young writers to do that, not the people who wrote Batman Forever, Xena: Warrior Princess and the Transformers movies. There's no way they couldn't find good modern sci-fi writers to work with such a high profile property, they simply didn't even try.

oh my god star trek picard is gonna RULE

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What I find wild about chris terrio is that his foot-in-mouth publicity tour for star wars seems to reveal that he's not just a pure hack mercenary, he actually seems to genuinely believe what he makes is good

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

No Mods No Masters posted:

What I find wild about chris terrio is that his foot-in-mouth publicity tour for star wars seems to reveal that he's not just a pure hack mercenary, he actually seems to genuinely believe what he makes is good

hollywood is that kevin smith jon peters story but everybody is jon peters

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 14, 2020

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Firebert posted:

I actually don't even have a problem with a story about an influx of what used to be a hated enemy of the federation now being refugees (because we're bound by the dumb "supernova that was going to destroy half the galaxy" drek from ST09), it's just that I have absolutely no confidence that they are going to do it in any way competently. TNG was already beginning to have stories about how kicking people off their planets and exploring those themes. Everything post Voyager is just an excuse to show things we know and spaceship battles.

Star Trek was always a show about optimism. The Motion Picture literally had the tagline of "the human adventure is just beginning". TOS showing a unified humanity in the middle of the cold war. Wars and scandal happened during TNG's production as well, so I don't understand that "oh well now we have Trump so we have to make the show darker", especially since it's built into the Star Trek timeline that humanity had a drat nuclear war before first contact made humanity come together.

It's funny, I never really thought about it but in Star Trek 2009 they had McCoy say the line "space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence" and clearly that's how they view the world of Star Trek now.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Hey remember talking about Gwyneth Paltrow and Goop a week ago?

https://twitter.com/blackgirlinmain/status/1216076068488204288

Edit: Also RIP Julie Strain

Edit 2: Apparently she's not dead?

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 14, 2020

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Doolittle sounds like a mad masterpiece. Really gonna need a HITB on this one.

https://twitter.com/lou_kicks/status/1216877045067735042

https://twitter.com/FB_BMB/status/1217090290466553856

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I'm happy RDJ got away from the Marvel movies and is now making art again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Can an industry get dementia

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm laffin so much that Mr. Dark Universe Kurtzman is now Mr. Trek Universe somehow.

Money laundering can be the only explanation.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

KakerMix posted:

Can an industry get dementia

apparently so

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Stink Billyums posted:

hollywood is that kevin smith jon peters story but everybody is jon peters
lmao I was thinking of exactly that. "in Hollywood you just fail upwards" aged 1000x better than his movies.

bring back old gbs posted:

alright the odds of 2 people defending Jim Sterling is too out there..

fess up, which one of us is Jim?? dont lie
jim sterling is the hero gamers need, making his voice and appearance totally appropriate.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Joker has 11 nominations lol.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Castor Poe posted:

Joker has 11 nominations lol.

Uncut Gems got 0!!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
meh the oscars are entirely about which studio bribed the most/right judges for their movies

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the real jokers here are the voting members of the academy of motion picture arts and sciences

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

meh the oscars are entirely about which studio bribed the most/right judges for their movies

It is but totally shutting out the movie with the must buzz is insane.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Uncut Gems got 0!!!

hosed up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That’s hilarious, did he discuss that at some point?

I like Jim, enjoyed reading his stuff back in the Destructoid days and then his switch to video.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I have it in my head he's a Nazi, but I don't remember any specific reason why... guess my brain is just playing the odds

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Oh! Meesa penis getting bigger! Oh!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sorry that was supposed to go in my Star Wars sex roleplaying private chat

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Daikloktos posted:

I have it in my head he's a Nazi, but I don't remember any specific reason why... guess my brain is just playing the odds

I think he was playing up a faux authoritarian vibe but that was more of a play on “I am right about everything” than actually being a nazi. He’s cooled down on that and he’s definitely not a nazi

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

You're probably thinking of moviebob too, who has a bunch of bad opinions on eugenics

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/627526-rogue-ones-writer-wants-to-make-a-star-fox-film

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

priznat posted:

I think he was playing up a faux authoritarian vibe but that was more of a play on “I am right about everything” than actually being a nazi. He’s cooled down on that and he’s definitely not a nazi

He pivoted to a carnival Barker persona. He's aleftist economically and socially, he's been on Bernie Sanders podcast taking about exploitation of labor and consumers in the video game industry.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Ghost Luke following around Kylo Ren and poo poo talks him.
that's an interesting spin

makes the whole ghost thing less like the wisdom of a fallen mentor and more like a guilty conscience. kinda shakespearean

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mallratcal posted:

Edit: Also RIP Julie Strain

Edit 2: Apparently she's not dead?

Real rollercoaster of emotions here

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

She's been "gone" for awhile now. There's just a shell.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Real rollercoaster of emotions here

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I agree with most things Sterling says, I just hate the way he says them, all squatting toadily behind his little boglin podium. Like I get it's a persona and a performance, but it's one I find especially grating and generally not worth sitting through so I generally just read summaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

priznat posted:

I never thought twice about it because it mostly just reminded me of david alan grier doing the faux cult of personality thing for his stand-up special

I can't find a video because apparently the world forgot this happened but I found a screenshot of the stage from a website that catalogues dvds and it's probably the funniest thing I've seen all week

david alan grier owns

loving che guevara posters but it's blankman's brother

all bow before supreme ruler the cop from jumanji