Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Definitely going to a judge the quality of a promo from the two most expressive wrestlers in WWE based on screencaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

im sure “Austin 3:16 said I just whooped your rear end” seems pretty lame too when it’s just written down, in Urdu

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

DarkstarIV posted:

https://twitter.com/WWEJapan/status/1216970530303045632?s=19

Yet again they never put these on the main WWE pages. These are so much better than Becky's promos about how the company is holding her down.

They're so mean :ohdear:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The language of what she is saying just feels unnatural and overly scripted to me.

I am sure that this is also the case of anything that doesn't happen on Raw is inherently seen as being good, and anything on the show is bad. Like if you flipped the promos and that was what Asuka said on Raw and they did a "what happened during the break" thing so they could put subtitles on it, people would hate it. And if Becky's promo was on the web... people would be going "Why didn't they air Becky's promo on Raw, it's so goooood!!!"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I don't care for them either, OP

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Baka is Japanese for "stupid" and it sounds like "Becky", are people just not picking that up or something

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Baka! Baka! Baka!

-Randy Orton

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Those promos are good as hell. wtf

Even if the content was literally "me. you. summerslam.", the enthusiasm and expressiveness of the delivery alone makes it better than 99% of promos delivered in modern WWE.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Astro7x posted:

The language of what she is saying just feels unnatural

Please put this person in trouble for xenophobia

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Astro7x posted:

The language of what she is saying just feels unnatural and overly scripted to me.
Are you 100% confident your japanese is good enough to know what feels unnatural and scripted?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Asuka's promos are better than when they had her cut awkward broken english ones but it's not like anything amazing now either tbh.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

jesus WEP posted:

Are you 100% confident your japanese is good enough to know what feels unnatural and scripted?

I always want to ask this when people say "the voice acting in the Japanese audio of _____ is way better"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
That promo made me realize that the Kabuki Warriors is pretty much the same premise as EVIL Kaientai, except it's not hideously racist and actually kind of fun.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DeepDickPizza posted:

Those promos are good as hell. wtf

Even if the content was literally "me. you. summerslam.", the enthusiasm and expressiveness of the delivery alone makes it better than 99% of promos delivered in modern WWE.

You seriously think that promo is better than 99% of promos in WWE?

First of all, if the bar is "modern WWE promos" that's a very very low bar. But there is nothing even noteworthy about saying "I got you! It was hilarious! You are so stupid! Fool! You will never win! I am definitely winning! I am too strong!"

The content is just as important as the enthusiasm

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't care how good she is in the role, Kairi Hojo was the best babyface in the world and turning her into just another foreign heel is loving criminal.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I quite like the delivery, it's full of life and personality. kairi sane laughing maniacally in the background is great. I agree the content of what she is saying isn't all that interesting but it's not bad imo.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Astro7x posted:

The content is just as important as the enthusiasm

It really isn’t.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

My waifus can do no wrong BAKA

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

karmicknight posted:

It really isn’t.

You must really love these cuck angles then

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Astro7x posted:

I don’t watch the bad company, but content of a promo is way less important than the delivery therein: good promos aren’t written they are performed. You must really love reading plays then

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Astro7x posted:

:thunk:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

how do you say "the fact of the matter is this. without a shadow of a doubt. you people" in japanese

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Cavauro posted:

how do you say "the fact of the matter is this. without a shadow of a doubt. you people" in japanese

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Astro7x posted:

You seriously think that promo is better than 99% of promos in WWE?

First of all, if the bar is "modern WWE promos" that's a very very low bar.

Yeah. That's the point.

Even if the content is pedestrian, compelling character expression that feels unscripted is literally better than almost all of the promo content that WWE puts out right now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Astro7x posted:

Dude, the majority of the greatest wrestling promos ever are total loving nonsense content-wise, but became great because they were delivered by people cocked out of their mind.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Dude, the majority of the greatest wrestling promos ever are total loving nonsense content-wise, but became great because they were delivered by people cocked out of their mind.

See: Rock, The and Warrior, Ultimate

(I hope you meant coked)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

DeepDickPizza posted:

Yeah. That's the point.

Even if the content is pedestrian, compelling character expression that feels unscripted is literally better than almost all of the promo content that WWE puts out right now.

Hell go back and watch some pre-crow Sting promos where he's just shouting the most generic heroic drivel you can think of but he's doing it with an intensity and charisma that made everyone love him.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cavauro posted:

I'm pretty sure the Japanese equivalent of that is "I'll never forgive you!!!"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The greatest wrestling promo of all time is Steiner math

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

karmicknight posted:

I don’t watch the bad company, but content of a promo is way less important than the delivery therein: good promos aren’t written they are performed. You must really love reading plays then

Which is why it was good when Asuka would come down the ramp and start screaming in Japanese, and you didn't know what she was saying, but you just saw the intensity.

It falls apart when you have subtitles and it's really basic "You are so stupid! I am strong!" Like, that's not how people talk. It's seems as if someone gave her bullet points of what to say, and that's what they put for the subtitles.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Andrast posted:

The greatest wrestling promo of all time is Steiner math
I mean he 1000% believed that so story checks out

The best promo in 2019 was "Jon Moxley, I accept" and I don't care what anyone says

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Astro7x posted:

Which is why it was good when Asuka would come down the ramp and start screaming in Japanese, and you didn't know what she was saying, but you just saw the intensity.

It falls apart when you have subtitles and it's really basic "You are so stupid! I am strong!" Like, that's not how people talk. It's seems as if someone gave her bullet points of what to say, and that's what they put for the subtitles.

Of course that's not how people talk, it's a wrestling promo!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean he 1000% believed that so story checks out

The best promo in 2019 was "Jon Moxley, I accept" and I don't care what anyone says

Hard agree.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Benne posted:

I don't care how good she is in the role, Kairi Hojo was the best babyface in the world and turning her into just another foreign heel is loving criminal.

On the one hand this is true, on the other I want to see how many more props she accumulates

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I would say the only Japanese star who has been actually successful while being a heel is Io Shirai. And I use "successful" loosely. Because despite being a heel, she still gets a massive babyface reaction, even getting a louder one than Rhea last Wednesday.

Yeah the Kabuki Warriors are the tag title holders, but we know they are going to fade into obscurity once the Rumble is done.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 14, 2020

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

2.03 average

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The state of the third hour numbers

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
None of that is surprising, given the NCAA championship game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CVagts posted:

None of that is surprising, given the NCAA championship game.

If you want to look back 5 year ago.

The 2015 Championship game of Ohio State-Oregon got 33.9M, so down 26.2%.
Raw drew 3.9M against that game, so Raw is down 47.9%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Becky, how many times do you need to lose is absolutely fun as poo poo.

And yes, the language barrier helps create some distance and makes the promos non-standard, setting them apart. But they just have so much character and animation. They're like power rangers villains. They're great.

Also, I'm having a total Mandela moment. I could have sworn Buff Bagwell was on WWF for more than a hot minute.
It's crazy to think he was making like 700k at WCW and was one of the top stars initially acquired by Vince.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 14, 2020