Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I saw one of those in Hong Kong

The owner opted for the more subtle rear wing package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

NinjaTech posted:

I rented a Honda S660 today outside of Tokyo and drove it to Twin Ring Motegi to visit the Honda Collection. It was loving Awesome! I’m probably going to have to buy a turbo Kei car when I get back to the US. First time driving on the wrong side was super easy too. I only turned the wipers on once on accident.

poo poo Yeah! That's right up there on my list of things to do on my next holiday.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I went with the higher trim level Blue one. It was worth the extra $9 haha. And yes it was Omoshiro. I was pretty happy that I didn’t have a full size car for that trip. The only place I could even get on it was the expressway on-ramp on the way back to the shop. One mountain road section was fun but it was so tight and so many blind turns you couldn’t really go fast with potential oncoming traffic.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
66-73 Sambar?

I was in a hurry or I'd look around more :(

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Fuuuuck.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Charles posted:

66-73 Sambar?

I was in a hurry or I'd look around more :(

I bet that's a USDM Sambar, awesome.

Edit
I'm pretty sure some of these were sold in the USA, anyway. Now I can't easily find info besides that YouTube video of the guy with the white one.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 12, 2020

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

:yeshaha:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-orXXvKDJSjmwn.htm

But it's a bit too soon to import the second gen. I guess they could come with 4WD holy poo poo.

Question: On the DOT form, for the VIN, do I prefix with all zeros and then put my VIN in so I get 17 digits? Or just standard Japanese VIN, nothing extra?

Also, I have been scrounging for parts on various eastern european websites.

Motronic pointed me to https://www.alvadi.ee which seems pretty awesome. My Fargo was the Midi over in Europe and was pretty popular. Their prices are good for the parts I'm after. Although I just recently started to check RockAuto more frequently with OEM #s and surprisingly some come up.

Also while PartSouq has really awesome diagrams, I found that https://www.ilcats.ru sometimes has a bit more depth to the diagrams or a few extra ones that I don't see on PartSouq. The tie-rod assembly isn't broken down into inner and outer ends on PartSouq which made actually finding spares hard. But ilcats did break it down further. Granted, I shouldn't take their PN suggestion at face value.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 12, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just put the Japanese vin no extra zeros

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros

BlackMK4 posted:

Yesss, the white one? We are car eskimo brothers now 🤔

I'd avoid the purple R33 GTR though, it didn't feel right in boost (surging/fuel cut).

I rented that one too. It was a blast, wish the us got cool cars...

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Oshata Hyotesti posted:

I rented that one too. It was a blast, wish the us got cool cars...

Just set an alarm for 20 years from now and you can import one!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

French Canadian posted:

Question: On the DOT form, for the VIN, do I prefix with all zeros and then put my VIN in so I get 17 digits? Or just standard Japanese VIN, nothing extra?

Also, I have been scrounging for parts on various eastern european websites.

Motronic pointed me to https://www.alvadi.ee which seems pretty awesome. My Fargo was the Midi over in Europe and was pretty popular. Their prices are good for the parts I'm after. Although I just recently started to check RockAuto more frequently with OEM #s and surprisingly some come up.

Also while PartSouq has really awesome diagrams, I found that https://www.ilcats.ru sometimes has a bit more depth to the diagrams or a few extra ones that I don't see on PartSouq. The tie-rod assembly isn't broken down into inner and outer ends on PartSouq which made actually finding spares hard. But ilcats did break it down further. Granted, I shouldn't take their PN suggestion at face value.

Echoing everdave: Fill out the DOT form exactly matching the information for your actual car. Do not add zeros. You will regret this!

And hell yeah ilcats.ru does have a bit more clarity to their diagtams though to my eternal :negative: don't list Daihatsu at all.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Echoing everdave: Fill out the DOT form exactly matching the information for your actual car. Do not add zeros. You will regret this!

If nothing else, consider that pre-1981 cars still exist and usually didn't have 17 character VINs either. Most systems shouldn't puke on short VINs.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yeah, it's more important that the vin be the exact same than the number of digits being the modern length. There are probably millions of registered vehicles with vins that are under the "normal" length just due to age, the system can handle it.

My FJ45's vin is 7 digits iirc and it was build for and sold in Canada, though the MTO did append FJ45 to it on the ownership.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Okay...so, I only have the BL form right now. I am pretty confident in the info I have (date of mfg and model "year") but should I wait for the docs from Yoshi which include the fancy Japanese export certificate so I know it's 100% correct before sending the EPA and DOT to my broker?

saoot
Jan 5, 2020

This thing is amazing and adorable and I want like a hundred of them.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/davbfmf

Finally figured out how to phone post the pictures of the car.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That sure doesn't look 25 years old

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

taqueso posted:

That sure doesn't look 25 years old

One can dream...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Paging DJ Commie

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My Hi Ace fire truck is live on BAT!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-toyota-hi-ace-fire-truck/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:flame:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

good luck

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

No reserve and one bid so far, so at least it’ll sell.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

If only I could get that hiace for 2,500 lol. How much do you guys spend to fix up these imports, typically?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I don’t want to be that guy, but there is a first post on this thread that probably answers everything you are about to ask. Unless it doesn’t, on which case, my bad.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Oh lord, and already the BaTards are out.

The HiAces were fairly normal contractor vans in Europe in the 90s, my uncle had one. There's nothing micro about it, but if your reference point is a 2020 F250 Dually, I can see where the confusion stems from.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Seeing the prices some of the incredibly mundane stuff goes for makes me wonder if theres a market for selling knackered old transit vans to gullible americans. I mean they also come in diesel variants and RHD. Just think of all the builders arse sweat!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It goes both ways, a colleague of my Dad's had a Pontiac Trans Sport and it was The. Best. Thing. Ever. Torque! An AUTOMATIC transmission! SIX cylinders.

Meanwhile, a German taxi driver is cursing his diesel 5-series wagon.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bolind posted:

Oh lord, and already the BaTards are out.

The HiAces were fairly normal contractor vans in Europe in the 90s, my uncle had one. There's nothing micro about it, but if your reference point is a 2020 F250 Dually, I can see where the confusion stems from.

It’s a micro truck and a rOlLoVeR hazard

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, a Hiace is just a normal sized van/chassis cab thing as far as I'm concerned.

You probably could roll one if you put some effort in, but no more so than any other "tin box on a commercial chassis" design and seems quite unlikely to happen in any kind of normal use I can envision.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, a Hiace is just a normal sized van/chassis cab thing as far as I'm concerned.

You probably could roll one if you put some effort in, but no more so than any other "tin box on a commercial chassis" design and seems quite unlikely to happen in any kind of normal use I can envision.

Holy gently caress, my research has just revealed that you could get that one in ambulance trim with a motherfucking V8! *does Fury Road V8 salute*

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

Holy gently caress, my research has just revealed that you could get that one in ambulance trim with a motherfucking V8! *does Fury Road V8 salute*

I mean V8 ambulances are a thing or were I guess before you could get decently fast diesels. Plenty of ambulances in the UK have had the rover v8, also please stop laughing.

I can't read that language but it looks like they built the hiace ones in the technocraft factory, which is the same place that did the very rare MR2 SW20 spider

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Blindeye posted:

If only I could get that hiace for 2,500 lol. How much do you guys spend to fix up these imports, typically?

I'd argue it's very much case by case unless you get super low mileage and presume that it only needs a few minor things. Otherwise it's not unlike any other car with X number of miles. You get a mechanical inspection first (!!!) and then make a call. If it's got 120km on it, maybe new ball joints or whatever. Maybe not, if the previous owner did all that stuff. Don't count on it IMO.

The caveats I've encountered:

The multi-month waiting after you buy it leads to idle hands and lots of time for research on parts and issues. For me my paranoia got the best of me so I've been buying spare/replacement parts while waiting.

Assuming you're not after the usual Delica or whatever, it's hard to do "all the research" before bidding so you might get stuck with a vehicle that has some rare parts which are more $$$ to get on eBay.

Since I was basically ready to buy ANY CAMPER that wasn't a poo poo pile nor super expensive, I couldn't possibly have researched everything out there (Isuzus, Mitsus, Toyotas, etc). I ended up getting something that is presumably in good condition but doesn't have a great aftermarket presence anywhere. So it's kind of an uphill battle in that regard. It's also at a mileage that many wear items have probably worn out, so those need replacing (but again, this isn't unlike any other car from the '90s).

Also don't get too focused on that $2500 number when it comes to any Japan-based auction.

Even at the cheap auction prices that happen sometimes, just add like $4000 to any JDM import hahaha.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 15, 2020

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

track day bro! posted:

I mean V8 ambulances are a thing or were I guess before you could get decently fast diesels. Plenty of ambulances in the UK have had the rover v8, also please stop laughing.
Yep, the Freight Rover in the late 80s, though it was the Land Rover spec engine so only 130bhp or so. They were used as police vans too.

MPG was woeful by all accounts.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Darchangel posted:

I don’t want to be that guy, but there is a first post on this thread that probably answers everything you are about to ask. Unless it doesn’t, on which case, my bad.

I wasn't talking the process that I did read in the OP. I meant more like typical costs to do the top to bottom initial maintenance and the like.

I was kind of looking for this:

French Canadian posted:

I'd argue it's very much case by case unless you get super low mileage and presume that it only needs a few minor things. Otherwise it's not unlike any other car with X number of miles. You get a mechanical inspection first (!!!) and then make a call. If it's got 120km on it, maybe new ball joints or whatever. Maybe not, if the previous owner did all that stuff. Don't count on it IMO.

The caveats I've encountered:

The multi-month waiting after you buy it leads to idle hands and lots of time for research on parts and issues. For me my paranoia got the best of me so I've been buying spare/replacement parts while waiting.

Assuming you're not after the usual Delica or whatever, it's hard to do "all the research" before bidding so you might get stuck with a vehicle that has some rare parts which are more $$$ to get on eBay.

Since I was basically ready to buy ANY CAMPER that wasn't a poo poo pile nor super expensive, I couldn't possibly have researched everything out there (Isuzus, Mitsus, Toyotas, etc). I ended up getting something that is presumably in good condition but doesn't have a great aftermarket presence anywhere. So it's kind of an uphill battle in that regard. It's also at a mileage that many wear items have probably worn out, so those need replacing (but again, this isn't unlike any other car from the '90s).

Also don't get too focused on that $2500 number when it comes to any Japan-based auction.

Even at the cheap auction prices that happen sometimes, just add like $4000 to any JDM import hahaha.

Yeah I figure the auction prices are crazy, I was joking about the $2,500. I was only curious because I've found quirks in where I've bought cars from in terms of when and where you see rust, who tends to pull crappy do-it-yourself mods and repairs, and how trustworthy reports are on cars.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

track day bro! posted:

I can't read that language but it looks like they built the hiace ones in the technocraft factory, which is the same place that did the very rare MR2 SW20 spider

It’s Polish and google translate does a decent job on that page.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Blindeye posted:

Count on batteries and tires, always. Be pleasantly surprised when you don't have to change or replace them. Always do an oil change right away. Don't be surprised with brake work needing to be done.
Costs are all over the place for this stuff so there really isn't a budget for it. Depends on the specific vehicle.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Count on batteries and tires, always. Be pleasantly surprised when you don't have to change or replace them. Always do an oil change right away. Don't be surprised with brake work needing to be done.
Costs are all over the place for this stuff so there really isn't a budget for it. Depends on the specific vehicle.

Knock on wood I have been pretty lucky with batteries. But besides your fixed costs of cleaning and lets say oil change your costs can range from $0 to THOUSANDS.

My Isuzu Fargo had just been serviced in Japan and had a new battery installed before they sold it, verified by service stickers. So I basically cleaned it, enjoyed it for a while, and sold it.

I just did the clutch on the Lite Ace I have and that was a few hundred bucks on clutch and fluids.

The Hi Ace camper cost me THOUSANDS in Japan because of issues that happened that I have gone over before.

It all depends on what you buy...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, sunroof, bumper guard, black leather seat covers (first two rows), factory wheels, new tires, owner's manual, warranty booklet, ceiling liner dirty, undercarriage surface rust and corrosion, dashboard cracks, other dents scratches paint waves

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker at 117,300km, no sludge, coolant ok, oil pan area slightly oily, slight aluminum corrosion, tires at 80% ok, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, frame/stabilizer/suspension area light surface rust but no flaking or holes, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, seat covers firmly installed look like they've been there for a while, seats underneath good, seat rail dampers installed, third row seats ok, dashboard glue remains and slight cracks near center, ceiling liner ok, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, rear diff lock ok, hub lock ok, fog lamp switch unplugged, lights ok, windows ok, mirrors ok, wipers ok, power steering ok.

1993 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado EX wide body KZ 5 speed manual. Two tone paint, dark emerald pearl on top, silver on the bottom, top trim level for 1993 (EX) so it has almost everything, besides the front winch. Suspension seats, sunroof, diff lock, ~official Toyota~ bullbar up front and presumably the ladder on the back, fanciest microfiber interior, third row seats. Comes with a newer set of BF Goodrich K02s even, white letters out. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure they went ahead and swapped out all the amber lenses with clear ones, as there isn't an amber one anywhere on the truck. Lends itself to a pretty clean look coupled with the green and silver. Also of note that the auction sheet said corrosion but the inspector said it was just surface rust. I've noticed this on a few vehicles we've imported. Now I just assume if the auction sheet says surface rust AND corrosion then it's possible that it's just a phrase that they write down, especially if the vehicle looks good otherwise. The inspector will always tell for sure.
If you look at the promotional material Toyota was putting out at this time for the Prado they use this green/silver Prado, though without the bar on the front and with a winch in the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Beautiful cruiser!

There is a March Super Turbo up today for those who might be interested, too many miles for me

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-5RXwGiBDRdIlTEc.htm

Only registered members can see post attachments!