Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Phi230 posted:

That looks like a crime scene photo

Sir

I believe you will find OP has not been convicted in a court of law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I just noticed this article is from 2014. How has this been around for years and I never heard about it?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Phi230 posted:

That looks like a crime scene photo

Stay Puft is keeping the onlookers at bay.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

I just noticed this article is from 2014. How has this been around for years and I never heard about it?

When did metoo really start? I feel like trump really kicked it off but 2016 might as well be 1916

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Prince Myshkin posted:

The real killer on this list is Althusser. The postmodern deconstructionist types make sense but a doctrinaire Marxist really should know better.

lol, if you think someone advocating for a certain philosophy means they are a good person. Its how these horrible monsters keep getting away with the awful stuff they do.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I admit I never heard of Althusser and when I clicked on the Wikipedia article the opening paragraph mentions he strangled his wife to death soooo...

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There are a lot of leftist dudes who are happy to treat women as a lesser class if given the opportunity.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

There are a lot of leftist dudes who are happy to treat women as a lesser class if given the opportunity.

so much for

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1215784775731961857?s=20

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

graventy posted:

I thought Bombshell was very good but half of the movie is harassment, which is hard to watch. Not a movie you can really recommend to people.

yeah, I was actually pleasantly surprised by Bombshell being as good as it was despite being primed to hate it by film twitter hot takes.

It really captures the institutional rot that breeds a culture like fox news and it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine it happening anywhere else.

The BAFTAs nominating Margot Robbie twice is laughable but I'd rate her higher in Bombshell than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

IShallRiseAgain posted:

lol, if you think someone advocating for a certain philosophy means they are a good person. Its how these horrible monsters keep getting away with the awful stuff they do.

I'm well aware of that, it doesn't make it any less disappointing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

That, amongst other things. Part of me feels like they invented the McKinnon character because they didn't want to give Robbie's character the arc that they should have.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did they maybe invent the character to represent a real life person who is still closeted?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oof we just missed the Zach Braff page

https://twitter.com/nachdermas/status/1216103641255464960?s=21

Also Zach straight up looks like he attempted to transplant his face onto a new skull that was in fact too large

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Stay Puft is keeping the onlookers at bay.

What better way to keep the onlookers at bay by t-posing, asserting his dominance?

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

Also Zach straight up looks like he attempted to transplant his face onto a new skull that was in fact too large

The tweet you're quoting is mocking the idea this age gap is bad or unsettling.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Who gives a gently caress dude, let consenting adults be adults.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Pretty sure mods said to shutup about legal if off putting age gaps in here, unless there's some other reason to discuss it in thread.

Like I'm all for mocking this poo poo but maybe take it to CineD gen chat or something.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Terry Gilliam is wrong but he is obviously not justifying abuse of power. He's saying that anybody, no matter their skin color or gender, abuses power. He feels white men are unjustly picked on because anybody with Harvey Weinstein's power might have done the same thing regardless of their race or sex. He's quite clear on this point when a few lines later he calls one of the two female producers on Fisher King a 'neurotic bitch': 'It wasn’t about their sex. It was about the position of power and how people use it.' He's wrong because he doesn't admit that simply being a white man confers power, but you don't have to turn him into Henry Kissinger.

The idea that there is an entire category that is several orders of magnitude beyond evil and that it's simply called: "Henry Kissinger" is seriously entirely appropriate, true, and good.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Reading/listening to podcasts on Hollywood history and was horrified to notice that Matt Lauer’s button wasn’t the only one of it’s kind.

quote:

Anita Colby was artistic director for producer David O. Selznick of Gone with the Wind fame. She warned Shirley Temple to be careful if she “found him [Selznick] in stockings.” Temple writes in her autobiography Child Star that this gave her “the impression that casual sex could be a condition of employment” with Selznick.
Indeed, it seems it was, as evidenced by an encounter Temple had with him when she was 17:

“Coming around my side of the desk, he reached and took my hand in his. Glancing down, I saw the telltale stocking feet. Pulling free, I turned for the door, but even more quickly he reached back over the edge of his desk and flicked a switch I had learned from Colby was a remote door-locking device. I was trapped. Like the cartoon of wolf and piglet, once again we circled and reversed directions around his furniture. Blessed with the agility of a young dancer and confronted by an amorous but overweight producer, I had little difficulty avoiding passionate clumsiness.”

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Jesus Christ

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

quote:

When she became a teenager, she even faced the advances of slimy studio bosses. David O. Selznick, according to Shirley, once chased her around his desk as he tried to bed her. Comic George Jessel was kicked in the groin by Shirley as he tried to grope her. “Shirley never got over the attempt of the bigwigs always trying to grope her.”

To deter the studio dirtbags, Shirley married fellow actor John Agar at 17, hoping he would protect her. Agar turned out to be a philandering drinker, who constantly beat Shirley. She even thought about suicide to escape him. “She got in her car one night, thinking about driving over a cliff,” recalled her son.

Shirley instead, took matters in her own hand. She divorced Agar at age 22 and retired from films. She then learned that her father George had squandered her $3 million in earnings- only $30,000 remained!

Wow, men suck!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Wow, men suck!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Wow, men suck!
How dare you! I'll now spend seventeen tweets explaining to you how I'm a nice guy, so you saying men can suck is sexist and you're a missandrist and then I'll call you a c**t because you haven't accepted how nice and good to women I am!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There was a great bit by Louis CK about how women are brave because every guy they ever date might end up being a rapist or murderer and the survival of the human race depends on women getting over that fear and taking a chance on men.

Too bad it was by Louis CK!

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Steve Yun posted:

There was a great bit by Louis CK about how women are brave because every guy they ever date might end up being a rapist or murderer and the survival of the human race depends on women getting over that fear and taking a chance on men.

Here's a bit from Donald Glover that's fairly similar to that, about the difference between the stories of 'crazy ex girlfriend' vs 'crazy ex boyfriend'.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Nckdictator posted:

Reading/listening to podcasts on Hollywood history and was horrified to notice that Matt Lauer’s button wasn’t the only one of it’s kind.

It's probably a fairly safe assumption that any young actress you see in a classic Hollywood major studio film was a victim of sexual assault in one form or another, ranging anywhere between ending up in the crosshairs of someone with Roman hands and Russian fingers, or just plain old full-blown rape. Clark Gable, for example, apparently raped Loretta Young and she ended up pregnant as a result, and assuming the allegations are true, I wouldn't be too surprised if she wasn't the only one that he set his sights on during his career.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Steve Yun posted:

I liked his bits on Louie, like the one where he refused to continue after a woman tells him "no" but she's into it, and the one where Pamela Adlon tells him that he "can't even rape good".

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Vagabundo posted:

It's probably a fairly safe assumption that any young actress you see in a classic Hollywood major studio film was a victim of sexual assault in one form or another, ranging anywhere between ending up in the crosshairs of someone with Roman hands and Russian fingers, or just plain old full-blown rape. Clark Gable, for example, apparently raped Loretta Young and she ended up pregnant as a result, and assuming the allegations are true, I wouldn't be too surprised if she wasn't the only one that he set his sights on during his career.

Of course, there's also the alleged rape of Natalie Wood by Kirk Douglas. I wonder if that will come up again once he passes away.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1219476475314868224?s=20

can't think of a better writer for this than the creator of 2 Broke Girls

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1219476475314868224?s=20

can't think of a better writer for this than the creator of 2 Broke Girls

It sounds terrible, but the story is about how a terrible show isn't getting made.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

OK, pitch meeting. A #metoo-themed comedy IS going to happen because gently caress you it's Hellworld 2020 and we've been put in charge of it. What's it going to be like?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

alpha male: "it's like, with all this metoo happening I can't even flirt with women anymore"

woman whose not like other women: *puts hand on shoulder* "it's okay"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vagabundo posted:

OK, pitch meeting. A #metoo-themed comedy IS going to happen because gently caress you it's Hellworld 2020 and we've been put in charge of it. What's it going to be like?

Do you want the good version or the bad version, because the bad version is it's exec produced by Chuck Lorre and the good version is we all die in an office fire while the pitch meeting is happening so no one else tries to pitch the same thing for at least a decade out of superstition.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

honestly i think you could make a real good comedy about a group of women who come together because the big hotshot comedian who asked to jerk off in front of each of them got exposed through the news media and they collectively realize their dream careers were ruined by this guy so they band together and kill him loving Strangers-styletry to get back into a comedy world that is very different from the one they left in both good ways and bad, but along with the baggage of being one of "those women"

have the tone be something along the lines of You're The Worst.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Do you want the good version or the bad version, because the bad version is it's exec produced by Chuck Lorre and the good version is we all die in an office fire while the pitch meeting is happening so no one else tries to pitch the same thing for at least a decade out of superstition.

Where would you put the laugh track?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want a show where that woman who yelled at louie to get his dick out follows him around on tour and yells "get your loving dick out" while he's tryout to perform.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1219406389887397888?s=20

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1219367270566256641?s=20

tbh nobody can say if this is actually metoo related since it's all gagged, that seems to be the implication though

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

gently caress you it's Hellworld 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Louis CK had some really progressive jokes. Its honestly baffling that, considering what he said on stage, he didn't understand that what he was doing was wrong