Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Dev Diary is out, and it's a big one

Won't quote the whole thing cause it's gigantic and there's several pics throughout.

tl;dr we're getting admin capacity from Stellaris in lieu of territory corruption, everyone can TC on overseas, non-HRE, wrong religion group provinces, and ship disengagement chance in naval battles. Plus more government reforms changes for theocracies (TO gets a global crusade, as an example it shows force converting Ottos to Reformed. It's -40% warscore cost to force convert).

Global Crusade:

quote:

By enacting The Global Crusade, players will gain a permanent CB against foreign religions and will be able to force their religion through war even on countries from other religious groups.

Admin Capacity:

quote:

Going over the limit has a scaling penalty which at 100% over the limit is:
+100% Stability Cost Modifier
+50% AE Impact
-50% Improve Relations
-5% Administrative Efficiency

E: Oh, TCs are getting quite a bit of a nerf overall, with a minimum authority of 80%.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Also everyone can have TC now, no matter where you are.

quote:

The new rules for where you can create Trade Companies are as follows:
Province religion must be of a different religious group than the owning nation
Province must be considered overseas both from nation and any subjects of nation, not including tributaries.
Province must not be part of the HRE

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

They're adding a ton of government reforms if you have Dharma or the upcoming expansion, which will be good to see. Hope they can add some interesting events for each one.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
✅Teutonic Order is not Confucian

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

They're adding a ton of government reforms if you have Dharma or the upcoming expansion, which will be good to see. Hope they can add some interesting events for each one.

From what I understand you also autoconvert to your religion any vassals you release, rather than having to enforce from vassal interaction - seems like Battlepope or Teutonic Order one-faith could be a thing.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

More magnificent than Jupiter himself: as the Papal States, declare the Kingdom of God and restore the old borders of the Roman Empire.

Man I really want to play eu4 but as usual, when a patch is coming I feel bad starting a new game...

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What's the ETA on the next patch?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It looks like they accidentally leaked the name of the next expansion, Emperor.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It looks like they accidentally leaked the name of the next expansion, Emperor.

Europa Universalis IV: Imperator: Rome

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

probably called Emperor Something Something. Unless they change it.

Are provinces considered overseas based on your
capital?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Everything looks awesome, but I'm worried about that +5 naval attrition modifier from the Naval Battery, it seems too large and opens up a way to cheese AI navies by hitting them when they're at low strength.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So if you can put trade companies anywhere now whats stopping Europe having the same problem Asia had where random dipshits from halfway across the world are buying up provinces?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

So if you can put trade companies anywhere now whats stopping Europe having the same problem Asia had where random dipshits from halfway across the world are buying up provinces?

Hopefully nothing and we get max chaos, but probably it's this from the last page:

Groogy posted:

You mean how the AI uses it? That's been looked at.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

So the new mechanic we are adding to Naval Combat is called Disengagement Chance and does basically what it says on the tin. Every combat tick after firing and casualties have been calculated the ship will try and disengage from the combat if their morale hits below 0.5 morale. The base value of this chance is 3% but can be modified by national ideas, like part of the reworked Portuguese National idea “Legacy of the Navigator”.
I'm not sure turning 3% into 3.15% is in any way useful.

The new manufactory slot buildings seems pretty cool:

quote:

Impressment Offices and unlocks at Dip Tech 7

+250 Local Sailors
Double if has Salt, Fish, Naval Supplies or Tropical Wood
:cawg:
Of course it could be quite useful if you're Austria or just need a ton of space marines. But I do like making fun of sailors.

I really want to play a theocracy now. Is it released yet? Is it released yet?
RIP warrior monk pope, that sounded amazing. :allears:

quote:

Monastic Breweries

Catholic exclusive
+75% production of grain
+50% production of wine
Please tell me this is available for pirate republics.

Poil fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 14, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Marines still seem really weird. +10% attrition while at sea make sense, but it's still just as easy to recruit and maintain a 20k army in the Americas?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You arrive at Rome to show the pope who should rule Italy. It's early in the morning and dead quiet. Suddenly the gates open and a religious procession slowly makes it way towards your lines. Is it a diplomatic enjoy to discuss terms of surrender? Nope it's loving kung fu deacons coming to mess up your poo poo and ruin your day.

PittTheElder posted:

Marines still seem really weird. +10% attrition while at sea make sense, but it's still just as easy to recruit and maintain a 20k army in the Americas?
Also if you can make the voyage in 30 days you take no attrition if you leave on the first.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Also if you have enough manpower they just reinforce to full once they get to land. This doesn't solve anything, it just adds a small annoyance and some extra micro.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

There's a lot to digest, but it all sounds cool. I'm really glad that they're doing something about the cheese to build up absolutism.

Right now I'm thinking the scaled penalties for going over 'government capacity' and just stating everything don't sound that severe and I'd gladly take stated land (and government capacity is going to go up with admin tech anyways); 90% min autonomy in territories is way too high. It's cool that courthouses are useful again.

I actually don't think trade companies are being nerfed hard enough. You're still going to want TCs everywhere possible.

The rest is cool (government stuff). I still don't care that much about the naval stuff. If I played a lot of competitive mutiplayer, then maybe.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PittTheElder posted:

If they use up sailors instead of manpower, they might be actually useful. As a colonizer, it's actually great to have a few smaller armies that don't consume manpower but are enough to deal with locals, like in the colonies or Africa and south-east Asia, and don't suffer from being on boats for a long time; as a land power, it's finally making at least SOME use out of any sailors you might have and maybe help out with defending islands and crossings or something?

E: wait I noticed one thing, those alternative buildings to manufactories...

quote:

Ramparts and unlocks at Adm Tech 6
+1 Fort Level
+15% Local Defensiveness

so you can turn your capital into a level 10 fort? I guess the HRE will become even more of a minefield in the late game :v:

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Poil posted:

You arrive at Rome to show the pope who should rule Italy. It's early in the morning and dead quiet. Suddenly the gates open and a religious procession slowly makes it way towards your lines. Is it a diplomatic enjoy to discuss terms of surrender? Nope it's loving kung fu deacons coming to mess up your poo poo and ruin your day.

Also if you can make the voyage in 30 days you take no attrition if you leave on the first.

Each seazone you enter is 1 attrition tick for loaded units now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TorakFade posted:

so you can turn your capital into a level 10 fort? I guess the HRE will become even more of a minefield in the late game :v:

Yeah I can't wait to fight Ming newly flush with a shitload of ramparts on their level 8 forts.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

AI Ming upgrading forts? LOL

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If they're stable for most of the game that's what to expect once you're looking to dismantle them.
Not that I've really seen them exist without busting into pieces in my recent games.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If I attack Austria as the Commonwealth will there battles in Silesia and the Carpathians or will the fifteenth siege of Vienna quietly conclude as millions of austrians walk in and out of sieging Vilna?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

If they're stable for most of the game that's what to expect once you're looking to dismantle them.
Not that I've really seen them exist without busting into pieces in my recent games.

See I find they nearly always are stable as gently caress, unless I personally smash them up. Like I see a collapsed Mind maybe 10% of the time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am really looking forward to this new patch. It will be like a whole new game.

PittTheElder posted:

Like I see a collapsed Mind maybe 10% of the time.
I must need to post more.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
They may as well call the patch "gently caress it, this is EU5 now" and charge :20bux::20bux::20bux: for it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

trapped mouse posted:

They may as well call the patch "gently caress it, this is EU5 now" and charge :20bux::20bux::20bux: for it.

well Ck2 got one last big overhaul patch before its sequel was announced so make of that what you will

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

pdxjohan posted:

Each seazone you enter is 1 attrition tick for loaded units now.

We were just talking here about how easy it is for a European to drop 10k to America or Asia in 1500. I wonder how much has it changed in this patch.

AnEdgelord posted:

well Ck2 got one last big overhaul patch before its sequel was announced so make of that what you will

CK3 was announced a year after the last CK2 expansion and mere months after the last big update. Hearts of Iron 4 was released 4 years before CK3 is going to be released. There are also Stellaris and Imperator but those are new IPs. I don't think modern Paradox is going to release two sequels to its core games so close together and I don't see Paradox letting EU lay without update or news about EU5 for a long time. So I bet it will have a slightly longer lifecycle.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Poil posted:

I'm not sure turning 3% into 3.15% is in any way useful.

Modifiers are additative

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

loving Mamluks, man. 115% discipline, 60% tradition despite not fighting any wars in the past century as far as I’ve seen, and an infinite supply of manpower.

They’re the France of the Middle East.

Also weirdly everyone loves them and even if allied can’t be induced to join in an attack on them.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I forgot that native americans literally can't reform and progress into a non-trashbin state of government or do any institutions until a colonizer comes over and gives them a hug.

lmao.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groogy posted:

Modifiers are additative
Ah, 8% is much better. I assume it's not possible to stack that modifier high enough that you could just throw your fleet at a much larger enemy over and over to wear them down because you lose a lot fewer ships overall? :v:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Haven't added it to enough places for that no

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Hmmmm, need to decide on what country to make a Sikh Theocracy with.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I mean, can there be any other choice than Punjab? For the Sikh pun, of course.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Gamerofthegame posted:

I forgot that native americans literally can't reform and progress into a non-trashbin state of government or do any institutions until a colonizer comes over and gives them a hug.

lmao.

I'm trying to find the place to fix this in my Natives overhaul mod. I was able to get feudalism to tick up slowly in capital provinces by commenting out part of a modifier, but they still can't embrace it even when it's present until they reform, and they can't reform until a neighbor embraces it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
you are probably better off creating a decision that lets you switch gov type if you have feudalism in your capital or something along those lines; its a little clunky, but its feasible that way. you probably also want to change how reforming religion works as well and move over to a decision based process so its no longer based on someone else having an institution. there are also other possible solutions - you could create an event chain or mission or decision that lets you create a vassal that doesnt have native government in one of your provinces and that vassal slowly ticks to have feudalism and then you will be able to embrace it. you cant modify the reform religion/government buttons though, those are hardcoded.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What if there were a Columbian Exchange quasi-institution causing mostly negative effects that new world natives got and had to buy off over the next decades? Or like one positive and one negative institution where you're left with an advantage (domesticated animals, etc) once you've adapted to the epidemic diseases. I don't think the natives should have mechanics that make them super lovely before the Europeans arrive, but they obviously should be pushed to a place of paralysis, tetering on collapse as smallpox and the others race ahead of the conquistadors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009
I remember reading something about Japan getting to keep its vassal swarm mechanics after being formed in 1.29 . Was that ever a thing or am I dreaming this up?